Canadian woman loses benefits because of "happy" facebook photo

Raziaar

I Hate Custom Titles
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091122/ap_on_re_ca/cn_canada_facebook_insurance

BROMONT, Quebec – A Canadian woman on long-term sick leave for depression says she lost her benefits because her insurance agent found photos of her on Facebook in which she appeared to be having fun.

Nathalie Blanchard has been on leave from her job at IBM in Bromont, Quebec, for the last year.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp. reported Saturday she was diagnosed with major depression and was receiving monthly sick-leave benefits from insurance giant Manulife.
But the payments dried up this fall and when Blanchard called Manulife, she says she was told she was available to work because of Facebook.

Wow... assholes must not understand how depression works. A smile and a laugh, or a good day or even a good couple of days is not evidence that somebody is no longer depressed! Especially since it doesn't take into account all of the rest of the time where the person could be horribly depressed!

Morons.

Though, I've never heard about sick leave due to depression.

she could have said it was photoshopped and maybe that would have saved her ass

Shit, give me paid sick leave and that would cure my depression right up.

Sick leave for depression is ridiculous in the first place.

Okay, get clinically depressed and then say that again.
Yeah, yeah... depression HURTS! We know.

It's ridiculous because of the obvious potential for abuse... which is probably what actually was happening in this case anyway.

ITT people who have never been clinically depressed act like they know shit about depression.

As far as the article goes: bunch of BS.

It's ridiculous because of the obvious potential for abuse... which is probably what actually was happening in this case anyway.

So nobody should be able to qualify for this because of that fact? That's mildly absurd.

Yet another example of the kinds of abuses/losses of productivity that will occur if ObamaCare passes

Yet another example of the kinds of abuses/losses of productivity that will occur if ObamaCare passes

lol that's idiotic. first of all, the insurance company in question cut off her SALARY not her health benefits. this is canada not the US; healthcare is provided by the government not insurance companies. and second if anything, Obamacare would lead to a system where this wouldnt happen with medical insurance, not the other way around. taking out the middleman in health coverage would ensure that the insurance companies dont abuse/neglect the people they're supposed to care for over making a buck

you're barking up the wrong tree and its obvious the only reason why you even brought it up is because you have an "zomg obama" agenda

I wonder if my Facebook photo will also lose me my salary...

4297_186491200356_587590356_7036933_7631286_n.jpg

CMD's facebook photo shows that he is arrogant enough to work at Halflife2.net again, break's over!

lol that's idiotic. first of all, the insurance company in question cut off her SALARY not her health benefits. this is canada not the US; healthcare is provided by the government not insurance companies. and second if anything, Obamacare would lead to a system where this wouldnt happen with medical insurance, not the other way around. taking out the middleman in health coverage would ensure that the insurance companies dont abuse/neglect the people they're supposed to care for over making a buck

you're barking up the wrong tree and its obvious the only reason why you even brought it up is because you have an "zomg obama" agenda

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid, buddy. Those of us with the facts know what's really going on.

Yay, is it really true? Do we have another conservative here that we can mock? O, sweet delight! Go easy this time guys, we only have one, and we wore out the last ones much too fast.

Also, I would like to point everyone again to my "Big Blues" pun, which is - and I say this as an objective observer - deserving of some attention, even if it's just ":|...". You massive faggots.

I wish I could be willingly ignorant like you!

Wait, it's not willingly ignorant. It's retarded.

Ah, well done. Your debating prowess is a sight to behold. Shall we meet up at the swings at recess for another name-calling contest?

Yay, is it really true? Do we have another conservative here that we can mock? O, sweet delight! Go easy this time guys, we only have one, and we wore out the last ones much too fast.

It's interesting that the term 'liberal' and 'conservative' have become such pejoratives to those in the opposing camp. I have no problem with people who have differing opinions from myself, it is just clear that they are woefully misinformed.

Ah, well done. Your debating prowess is a sight to behold. Shall we meet up at the swings at recess for another name-calling contest?

It's interesting that the term 'liberal' and 'conservative' have become such pejoratives to those in the opposing camp. I have no problem with people who have differing opinions from myself, it is just clear that they are woefully misinformed.

I'm not the one talking about Obama Healthcare while on a story from Canada....

No doubt you are a product of public education. Just think, with that kind of glorious track record, the government's public health care will be just great!

you're a product of private education:

Howard Campbell said:
Those of us with the facts know what's really going on

what exactly does that say about your current privately run healthcare? WITH PRIVATE EDUCATION'S TRACK RECORD (RE: HOWARD CAMPBELL) PRIVATE HEALTHCARE SHOULD BE THE PITA!!!

Yeah, but no right-wingers are allowed in our orgies. Sorry.

Who said anything about right-wing orientation?

The amazing thing with the whole Health Care debate is that it's mostly a youth-based movement. Which, ordinarily, is great. Obama has received, and deserves, an enormous amount of credit for re-invigorating the American voting public, primarily through his outreach to first-time voters.
However, there's a flaw to this system. Essentially, his legislation will now be passed on the backs of those who never voted for him, have no interest in this change, and simply cannot afford it at this time. ObamaCare's supports are largely young, without jobs, and not contributing to the tax base that will have to carry this overhaul. Look at this forum. A quick search of the average member age puts it between 18-25 years old. How many of you have held jobs? How many pay taxes?

Citing legislation as a 'moral imperative' is all well and good, but when the primary support base pays for happy pills with Daddy's money and jack-offs into sheets that Mommy still washes for them, well that dog just won't hunt.

Who said anything about right-wing orientation?

The amazing thing with the whole Health Care debate is that it's mostly a youth-based movement.

hahahahah wha? OLD PEOPLE DONT CARE ABOUT HEALTHCARE NO SIREE

Howard Campbell said:
Which, ordinarily, is great. Obama has received, and deserves, an enormous amount of credit for re-invigorating the American voting public,

you're overstating his capabilities and understating the effects of 8 years of stupid

Howard Campbell said:
primarily through his outreach to first-time voters.
However, there's a flaw to this system. Essentially, his legislation will now be passed on the backs of those who never voted for him,

the gun toting rednecks and the non-negroes?

Howard Campbell said:
I have no interest in this change, and simply cannot afford it at this time. ObamaCare's supports are largely young, without jobs, and not contributing to the tax base that will have to carry this overhaul. Look at this forum. A quick search of the average member age puts it between 18-25 years old. How many of you have held jobs? How many pay taxes?

more "facts" huh?

yet my facts seem to conterdict yours:

Voters in the 18 to 24 age group broke 68 percent for Obama to 30 percent for John McCain, according to the exit polling. Those in the 25 to 29 age bracket went 69 percent to 29 percent in Obama's favor.

The only age group where McCain prevailed was 65 and over, and that by just a 10-percentage-point margin, 54 percent to 44 percent, the exit polls showed.

the biggest supporters were in the age group 25-29 ...also unemployed AMIRITE?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/04/exit.polls/

Howard Campbell said:
Citing legislation as a 'moral imperative' is all well and good, but when the primary support base pays for happy pills with Daddy's money and jack-offs into sheets that Mommy still washes for them, well that dog just won't hunt.

? you're somehow linking the age group of this website with the effectiveness of Obama's healthcare plan? ........ok, it's obvious who's actually taking the happy pills

ok, it's obvious who's actually taking the happy pills

Actually, given the early responses in this thread defending something as ridiculous as "time off for depression" there's quite a number of people on this board experiencing Better Living Through Modern Chemistry.

Also, I attempted to follow some of your other points, but I just couldn't get past the schizophrenic writing and atrocious grammatical presentation. You must be quite the character in real life! :cheese:

Rethink, Reorganize, and Re-write, and then we'll talk.

ITT people who have never been clinically depressed act like they know shit about depression.

As far as the article goes: bunch of BS.

Okay, I've been clinically depressed and it's a bunch of bullshit.

Almost everyone these days are diagnosed, the whole disorder is a bunch of bullshit. (although it probably explains why I'm such a cynical person lol)

Back