Changes.

Y

Yorick

Gooood morning boys and girls.

I have instituted some changes to the Forum Theme here, which should hopefully correct some of the problems that we've had as of late. Because of the sheer amount of issues we had, I decided the easiest thing to do would be to just rebuild the theme from scratch. Once Munro flips the switch, it will become the new default.

Over the course of the next few days, if you notice anything that looks off, please don't hesitate to post here and let me know. I did a week or so of testing on my own, but it's incomparable to an actual field test. Some problems are expected.

In addition to some fixes, I'll be putting in a few additions as well. It ranges from small things like we now have editor buttons for Spoiler and Strikethrough tags to a new Steam Profile system.

The Steam Profile system will list if a user is online, ingame, and offer options to view their TF2 items, add them as a friend, or even join their game.

SteamProfile01.png

I have one option to fix before this becomes available, but there will be a field in your profile to add your name or ID, to have your Steam information display in your post.

Later on this week, I will also implement some "sub-styles" which are going to have additional options. While the default style is full-width with a horizontal postbit, I'll also be adding "fixed width" as an option, as well as having the vertical postbit (as seen below).

steamprof.png

Within the next day or so, this should all be up and running. You might see a few strange things here and there in the meantime. Please be patient, and as I said, do let me know if you notice any problems.

Looking good so far!

zHTAm.jpg

background of these buttons could be a bit lighter

DaUdP.jpg

post edit history is still white on white

selected threads don't change colour in any noticeable ways

LSiC4.jpg

report post button could do with some colour

Thanks Kine! I'll fix that stuff now.

I also noticed that the login box text is white on a light grey background, so I'll get that too.

Those things are all fixed.

Need to do the Default Profile Colours.

*stretches arms out* Ahh, finally some real width here!

Great work, but there seems to be a lot of space before the end of the post and the signature line.

And for some reason, there's a ton of it in this post:

h2RQF.jpg

It looks like this is to blame:

No6SW.jpg

Oh and I just noticed the liquid banner, nice work on that. Though I'm going to be hiding that div anyway because less scrolling = more power foruming

Glad you like it!

Oh and I just noticed the liquid banner, nice work on that. Though I'm going to be hiding that div anyway because less scrolling = more power foruming

Maybe I'll hide you for more power foruming. :p

*stretches arms out* Ahh, finally some real width here!

Great work, but there seems to be a lot of space before the end of the post and the signature line.

And for some reason, there's a ton of it in this post:

h2RQF.jpg

It looks like this is to blame:

No6SW.jpg

Yeah, the minimum height is in place because of the Steam Profile bit. If a post is too small, it will run into the signature and muck everything up. Though admittedly, a minimum of 75 pixels might be overkill. I'll scale it back to about 50.

TBH I don't want that Steam thing there, will there be an option to disable it?

Actually, I can probably adblock that out too :p

Oh, and maybe you could increase the max width of images to a little bit more than 800px :<

Now that people on this theme are going to have full width, I can't imagine them running screen resolutions that small to need such tiny images.

TBH I don't want that Steam thing there, will there be an option to disable it?

Actually, I can probably adblock that out too :p

There isn't a disable option, but it is a separate div, so yeah, you can probably adblock it. YOU'RE WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

Oh, and maybe you could increase the max width of images to a little bit more than 800px :<

Now that people on this theme are going to have full width, I can't imagine them running screen resolutions that small to need such tiny images

Possibly. Right now the plan is to introduce a fixed-width option as well, but if no one actually wants it, then we can perhaps change that limitation.

I don't see why you don't just stick that steam thing in the user info bar above their post. And ditch the bright blue bg, it's really distracting. It's almost like an annoying ad, especially when it's in the actual post and affecting the layout of the text.

I don't see why you don't just stick that steam thing in the user info bar above their post. And ditch the bright blue bg, it's really distracting. It's almost like an annoying ad, especially when it's in the actual post and affecting the layout of the text.

If you're going to block it anyway, why do you care?

Maybe I wouldn't block it if it wasn't so distracting and intrusive.

Why are you asking me why I care in a thread meant for people to give feedback?

Maybe I wouldn't block it if it wasn't so distracting and intrusive.

Why are you asking me why I care in a thread meant for people to give feedback?

Just curious. It struck me as odd that you'd care what colours it is since you dismissed it out of hand.

You might have a good point, though.

I'm not a fan of the Steam Friends online/offline/in-game banner either. Obtrusive and would benefit as being an option. For the forum's look, Calendar section calls for some touching up. Check the month and week, rollovers, and sidebar. White/light gray/light orange on white. Also, Year, Month, Week, Day tab colors. Could mimic the old theme. Possibly a new Skype icon as well.

The color is much better, but in my opinion it's still too annoying unless you put it in the user bar.

Yeah why exactly would you put it in the body of the post? Surely above or under the post would make more sense.

The text box for reporting posts is grey on grey also.

Yeah why exactly would you put it in the body of the post? Surely above or under the post would make more sense.

This, I would put it in the space between the username and their join data, location, and posts info. Seems like a good spot for it.

I think that the steam id banner is a good and fun idea. I like the darker design more than the original by far. I think a better location would be to the left of the Join date and location spot. Like this:
steambarq.jpg

So it doesn't eat into the post area.

Jesus Christ, children.

It isn't going to be an option. And the reason that it is in the body of the post is that it doesn't fit in the postbit without either a) stretching the hell out of it or b) removing the other information. Putting it between them is even more obtrusive than anywhere else. So if you want it at the top, you'll have to give up messaging icons, join date / location / posts. So, pick thing you want to whine about and get back to me.

For the forum's look, Calendar section calls for some touching up. Check the month and week, rollovers, and sidebar. White/light gray/light orange on white. Also, Year, Month, Week, Day tab colors. Could mimic the old theme. Possibly a new Skype icon as well.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the calendar. I think the current Skype Icon is pulled right from mystatus.skype.com. I'll have to check into it to make a new one.

The text box for reporting posts is grey on grey also.

Nice catch!

it doesn't fit in the postbit without either a) stretching the hell out of it or b) removing the other information.
What? How exactly is it 'stretching the hell out of it'? There's plenty of horizontal space. You'd have to be running like 640x480 for it to even be close to a tight fit. And as for the vertical space, it's only going to expand it a little bit if the user doesn't already have an avatar. When it's in the post, it's already stretching the post if the post is only 1 line.

So, pick thing you want to whine about and get back to me.
And here I thought you had changed since the last time I saw you ask for feedback on something.

What? How exactly is it 'stretching the hell out of it'? There's plenty of horizontal space. And as for the vertical space, it's only going to expand it a little bit if the user doesn't already have an avatar. When it's in the post, it's already stretching the post if the post is only 1 line.

Aside from looking bad and out of place among the other information, it automatically causes a stretch of at least 20 pixels. Whereas being in the post doesn't stretch anything at all, since the words just go around it.

And here I thought you had changed since the last time I saw you ask for feedback on something.

And here I thought I might get some appreciation for going out of my way to do something nice for this community.

I'm running 1024x600 and it'll fit fine so long as the location and name aren't stupidly long.

Might be a tight fit with my user title though.

Oh, and would it be too much trouble to ask for a new posts button at the bottom of the page?

Well I really don't see the point in displaying two avatars per post anyway. All you need is two lines of text. One that displays the Steam ID and one that either says "Online", "Offline" or [Name of game you're playing]. Adding two lines of text under, for example, your own postcount Yorik would not actually make your postbit any longer as your IM icons already stretch it.

Aside from looking bad and out of place among the other information, it automatically causes a stretch of at least 20 pixels. Whereas being in the post doesn't stretch anything at all, since the words just go around it.
Would you mind showing me how it's stretching anything by 20 pixels? Like I said, the only time this would stretch anything is if the user has no avatar (or a very small one), thus making his user bar smaller. And even then it would only stretch up a little bit to accommodate it. It's already stretching every single post that has only 1 line. You said this yourself, you had to put the minimum height in there to fit it without overlapping the sig.

While I agree it doesn't quite fit the visual style of the rest of the information in the user bar, it certainly is a lot less distracting than being in the post. Why don't you turn it into a little button image that shows the whole thing upon clicking? Simple javascript changing the display value on it, like when you click the username showing that menu. There's no need for that steam info to be instantly viewable at all time anyway. And you can make it pop up anywhere, because it's not going to need dedicated space of its own since it will only show when clicked.

And here I thought I might get some appreciation for going out of my way to do something nice for this community.
You got appreciation. Maybe you should go back and read the first page? You asked for feedback and suggestions. We're giving it to you and being nice about it, but you decided to react like a child.

Yorik please add a like button to the forums so I can like Vegeta's post above me.

Oh, and would it be too much trouble to ask for a new posts button at the bottom of the page?

Hm, do you mean on the Forum Homepage or on the individual thread page or what? I could throw it either where it has "Mark Forums Read / View Forum Leaders" or in the Footer where it has Contact Us and such?

This would be my biggest request:

6nXSj.jpg

Shaker, judging by that picture, I don't think you're set to be using the new theme. Until Munro sets it to default, it's still an option, and that looks like the old one to me. Let me know if I'm wrong, though.

Well I really don't see the point in displaying two avatars per post anyway. All you need is two lines of text. One that displays the Steam ID and one that either says "Online", "Offline" or [Name of game you're playing]. Adding two lines of text under, for example, your own postcount Yorik would not actually make your postbit any longer as your IM icons already stretch it.

True on the Avatar count, but it does also have a neat background image of what game you're playing that I do quite like.

Would you mind showing me how it's stretching anything by 20 pixels? Like I said, the only time this would stretch anything is if the user has no avatar (or a very small one), thus making his user bar smaller. And even then it would only stretch up a little bit to accommodate it. It's already stretching every single post that has only 1 line. You said this yourself, you had to put the minimum height in there to fit it without overlapping the sig.

Yes, but stretching a post to a certain length looks better (in my opinion, of course) than stretching the top row of information.

Even with an avatar the size of yours, with the messaging icons, if you were to put the Steam Profile bit, as it is, above or below the join date / posts / etc in that section, it would stretch. There's a gap of, what, 30-40 pixels between Posts and the bottom of that section? And the Steam thing is about 50 pixels, plus spacing.

Why don't you turn it into a little button image that shows the whole thing upon clicking? Simple javascript changing the display value on it, like when you click the username showing that menu. There's no need for that steam info to be instantly viewable at all time anyway. And you can make it pop up anywhere, because it's not going to need dedicated space of its own since it will only show when clicked.

I kind of like that idea.

You got appreciation. Maybe you should go back and read the first page? You asked for feedback and suggestions. We're giving it to you and being nice about it, but you decided to react like a child.

It's possible that you're right, but the implication that I haven't already thought of moving it, or haven't tried other things was quite irritating.

I don't believe that it really affects many posts, and I was trying to avoid losing any functionality, but since I am obviously in the minority on this, I'll change it sometime this week.

Even with an avatar the size of yours, with the messaging icons, if you were to put the Steam Profile bit, as it is, above or below the join date / posts / etc in that section, it would stretch. There's a gap of, what, 30-40 pixels between Posts and the bottom of that section? And the Steam thing is about 50 pixels, plus spacing.

Hmm, must have been a miscommunication. I didn't mean or it to be above or below any of the existing info. I meant like in this image: http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8513/steambarq.jpg

I kind of like that idea.
:cheers:

It's possible that you're right, but the implication that I haven't already thought of moving it, or haven't tried other things was quite irritating.
I really wasn't trying to imply that. Sorry. But when I can clearly see how it would fit in there, I have to at least suggest it.

I don't believe that it really affects many posts, and I was trying to avoid losing any functionality, but since I am obviously in the minority on this, I'll change it sometime this week.

Looking forward to it!

Shaker, judging by that picture, I don't think you're set to be using the new theme. Until Munro sets it to default, it's still an option, and that looks like the old one to me. Let me know if I'm wrong, though.

Do you mean I can change that in the settings?

EDIT Nvm, I found it. Had to change the forum setting. Thanks.

You have to change your theme at the bottom of the page:

0QExX.jpg

Hm, do you mean on the Forum Homepage or on the individual thread page or what? I could throw it either where it has "Mark Forums Read / View Forum Leaders" or in the Footer where it has Contact Us and such?

Right next to the quick navigation bar would be amazing, but I'd be happy if it was in the footer.

Hmm, must have been a miscommunication. I didn't mean or it to be above or below any of the existing info. I meant like in this image: http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/8513/steambarq.jpg

Oh right. Yeah, I thought about that, but I don't like it. I feel like it'll look cramped on the fixed width and in general it's just, I don't know. I don't love it.

I'm thinking about something like this, currently. Just a quick mockup so it doesn't actually work or anything, but, something like this. I'd like to keep the background though, so I may try to work that in.

SteamProfile99.png

I really wasn't trying to imply that. Sorry. But when I can clearly see how it would fit in there, I have to at least suggest it.

Agreed, I am sorry too.

Right next to the quick navigation bar would be amazing, but I'd be happy if it was in the footer.

Sure thing. For the sake of cleanliness, I'll actually probably add it right into that Quick Nav dropdown menu. Sound like a plan?

*Note to self, Notifications Window when one has a notification*

Nice work Yorick! I'm personally fine with the Steam info thingy as Quixo posted it, doesn't take up any vertical space.

I personally don't really like reading white text on a black background though, would it be a lot of work to make a lighter-colored variation of the template?
Before the vbulletin upgrade(like 6-12 months ago?) there was this Tan template which I found to be very comfortable to read.

I'm thinking about something like this, currently. Just a quick mockup so it doesn't actually work or anything, but, something like this. I'd like to keep the background though, so I may try to work that in.
SteamProfile99.png

I don't really like how much height it uses that way.

Frankly I think having it pop up in the form it was in originally (with the dark bg, not the light blue) upon clicking a button (perhaps placed next to the messenger icons) is the best solution. We get to see all the info with the game backgrounds and stuff, without having it intrude upon us until we want it.

Yorrick's theme is now the default and the Steam feature has been added. *awaits the angry mob*

Back