Comical "Help, I'm stuck!" moments.

P

PrivateerLunatic

I was just reading some "stuck" threads and I thought I'd ask everyone to post their own most comical stupid errors they made over the course of the game that ended up getting them stuck (or times where the bleeding obvious never seemed to hit them).

For me, it was in Water Hazard. I had reached a point (it was like a burning oil tanker) where I thought my airboat could not go any further. So I played for about an hour and fifteen minutes on foot.

Then, I came to this point where there are these windy zig-zag man-made canals, and a helicopter is shooting you constantly. I did about 50-70 quickloads just trying to get past the helicopter on foot. Then I finally made it with about 10 health left, and I jumped in a pipe...only to find that it was toxic sludge and that I needed the airboat and it was supposed to come all this way all along, and I had to reload a really old saved game because I couldn't walk back because the 'copter would kill me. That sucked. ;)

Now, c'mon everyone else...do tell. =)

Wow... That beats any of my stories... I have a few though, but don't remember them all.. Most of them came because I was too busy killing ailiens/idiots when somebody told me what to do. E.g. in front of the museum/city hall where you're fighting all those striders, I didn't hear that rebel bitch telling me that there was ammo in the middle of the square. I just took ammo from the soldiers who died, but I really didn't get far. Quickloaded about 20-30 times i guess.

What's the weapon just underneath the standard machine gun, can only hold 90 ammo and packs a lot of punch. I only discovered that it had a seconary fire near the end of the game and it's the best secondary fire since it dissovles the soldiers :)

lazicsavo said:
What's the weapon just underneath the standard machine gun, can only hold 90 ammo and packs a lot of punch. I only discovered that it had a seconary fire near the end of the game and it's the best secondary fire since it dissovles the soldiers :)
Don't worry to much about that one, the secondary ammo doesn't turn up till near the end of the game.

I suffer from over complicating the puzzle, instead of blasting something or just looking for an underwater tunnel, I try stacking boxes or getting the granade in just the right spot...not that it every works.

Like in sandtrap, I have a pyramid of boxes, ramps and pallets to climb up the mountain to get up on the ridges when all I needed to do was get across the valley...

Sigh... ;)

Snorri said:
that rebel bitch

I can understand referring to women as bitches and whores when they really do act like bitches and whores. The skanky street trash who doesn't give a damn who the hell you are and walks around whoring themselves off to whoever has the nicest car or the biggest selling album or whatever really do deserve the names that they are given by rappers, gangsters and wanna-bes all around the world. However the only female character in the entire game that I feel could ever deserve the title of "bitch" is Dr Mossman, and even then it's a fine line because she thought she was doing what was for the best of humanity.

All the resistance fighters, male and female, have been nothing but nice to you even though they have no god damn clue who the hell you really are, and even consistently sacrifice themselves for you. That woman most likely died in that fight, and she gave you a vital clue that you needed to survive and win. And all the respect you can show her is to call her rude names? Where is the respect man?

I know I sure as hell would leave you to die if we were in a war together, I simply couldn't tolerate somebody who shows total disregard for the sacrifices others make, and blames them because he didn't listen to what they said quiet eloquently and clearly.

i was on one of the canal maps where there is that red building w/ all the ammo in it and the helecopter is chasing u and shooting u. my airboat got stuck vertical so i was stuck there on foot w/ a smg against a helecopter... u guess who won lol

I ran around on the top level of the demolished building with Barney hiding, getting sniped about 20 times before I used the better cover on the level below it.

There's that one part where I was stuck for a much greater period of time that I have been in any other part of the game. You know, near the end of water hazard, where you finally get up to the gate, and find that the valve that opens the gate is broken? Teh only reason that I got past that part (after playing through it like five times trying to get there fast enough that one of the soldiers wouldn't blow the handle, and spending hours running around trying to find an alternate exit), was that I started shooting at a bat out of frustration. The bat flew in front of a pile of flameable barrels while I shot, and the barrels blew up, launching a huge steel I-beam which broke down the massive door ... finally. :p

When you first get in front of the building with the "death ray from above" I ran around in front of it for about 30 minutes trying to grav gun the only vehicle onto its side to try to climb over the fence because I saw no other way into the middle part of the courtyard.

Turns out that there is a door at the other end that I didn't see.

By the way, I did manage to grav gun the vehicle on its side and climb up but even though I should be able to jump over the fence the game wouldn't let me.

o yeah. the other one was where there was that electric gate... i jumped on it trying to climb over it like 20 times getting electricuted... took me 50hp till i figured out how to turn it off...

I've got a funny one. I was driving the dune buggy and came to the part where you have to stop in front of that electric gate where you first get the crossbow. I was stuck for an hour trying to figure out where to go, when I just said "**** it" and went the rest of the WHOLE level on foot where the guy at the end told me to "Put The Buggy In The Garage" and I didn't have it. haha

Up untill now, I've been able to figure most of this out on my own. I'm taking a break at the second turret level in Nova.

Other then that, I had a pretty 'duh' moment when I was first attacked by those electro-zappy balls on the coast. I thought maybe Dog had showed up and wanted to play fetch (He used 'em as his ball in the first bit). But then it started zapping my suit, so, no Dog. Sadness.

i had my funny moment very early in the game, right after barney sent me out of the torture chamber.

i didn't have sound at that time because someone was talking to me, so i didn't hear the cop telling me to pick up the can .. so i didn't, he aggroed on me, chased me down the stairs, back to the window i had jumped out.

i had no idea what to do, so i ran up the stairs again, shut the door and locked him out. he was too dumb to open it. so i went on, thinking "was it really intended that way?" :LOL:

I didn't hear that guard telling me to pick up the can either.

And those reports of players dropping their vehicles midway through the vehicle runs were pretty hilarious. Thank you for sharing :LOL:

Messermeier said:
i had my funny moment very early in the game, right after barney sent me out of the torture chamber.

i didn't have sound at that time because someone was talking to me, so i didn't hear the cop telling me to pick up the can .. so i didn't, he aggroed on me, chased me down the stairs, back to the window i had jumped out.

i had no idea what to do, so i ran up the stairs again, shut the door and locked him out. he was too dumb to open it. so i went on, thinking "was it really intended that way?" :LOL:

Thats awesome :D
I dont like people telling me what to do so when i heard him tell me to pick up the can I just threw it at him, and ran away, came back, threw a different object at him, ran away, came back threw something else at him, ran around him and through the entrance and after a while he got tired of chasing me :p

Lol, I had those Water Hazard moments too! When theres like a barrier on fire, and I thought I couldn't get past it, so I went on foot for awhile...and the blue container underneath the cage thing. =P

cleckmoon said:
Other then that, I had a pretty 'duh' moment when I was first attacked by those electro-zappy balls on the coast. I thought maybe Dog had showed up and wanted to play fetch (He used 'em as his ball in the first bit). But then it started zapping my suit, so, no Dog. Sadness.

Haha, I did the same thing there. I heard that dog shows up again at some point in the game, and I thought that may have been it. Ooops.

My major 'duh' moment was spending 2 hours doing the entire water hazard level on foot because I had turned on god mode a while back for no real reason and I didn't see the girl who was supposed to give me the boat. Also, because of the god mode, I never realized that the toxic sludge was actually toxic. I just kept walking through it thinking about how lame a level it was.

all that i know, is that i went through the entire game without needing any help at all, it seemed MUCH easier than hl1 to get through to me... the only "duh" moment i had is at the end of the buggy when you garage it, and have to fight the incoming ships AND THEN he lets you down the secret passage to move on...

Duh - i didnt hear that i needed to help them fight off the combine first, and shoot anything down. so for about 1 hour (1000 attemps) i kept trying to jump off the side of the cliff and land on the tree hanging off the side and jumping on the path while being owned by the combine, but i didnt realize i needed to shoot down the dropships and help defend first and then he would let me down there so easily :) i never got down by jumping off and was stressing so i killed everything in anger, and then i realized thats what i was supposed to do in the first place before he let me go through the passage under the light house .... it was such a waste of time...and your time for actually reading all of this :p
-jer

Revenge said:
I can understand referring to women as bitches and whores when they really do act like bitches and whores. The skanky street trash who doesn't give a damn who the hell you are and walks around whoring themselves off to whoever has the nicest car or the biggest selling album or whatever really do deserve the names that they are given by rappers, gangsters and wanna-bes all around the world. However the only female character in the entire game that I feel could ever deserve the title of "bitch" is Dr Mossman, and even then it's a fine line because she thought she was doing what was for the best of humanity.

All the resistance fighters, male and female, have been nothing but nice to you even though they have no god damn clue who the hell you really are, and even consistently sacrifice themselves for you. That woman most likely died in that fight, and she gave you a vital clue that you needed to survive and win. And all the respect you can show her is to call her rude names? Where is the respect man?

I know I sure as hell would leave you to die if we were in a war together, I simply couldn't tolerate somebody who shows total disregard for the sacrifices others make, and blames them because he didn't listen to what they said quiet eloquently and clearly.

Are you being sarcastic, I mean jesus they were not real there was an infinite number of them, I think I would have to kill you If we were in a war together (if you were serious that is)

The only real problem i encountered while playing the game, well, I had many, but only 1 that i couldnt figure out on my own eventually.. and it was in the buggy level, where you have to put the batteries in the 3 slots.. i couldnt figure out what to do but I knew it had to do with those things..
After a while of running around everywhere trying to find something i missed and trying to drive over the wall somehow or using the grav gun to get it over, i started throwing random objects at the 3 battery slots, and once in a while id throw a battery not realising what it was, and a light would go green.. I'd go.. WOAH what did I do?? *keep throwing objects*. Then the light would turn red again when id manage to somehow get the battery out.. and back to green eventually.. then I gave up and came here for the answer.. hehe.. I felt pretty stupid.

i had no idea what to do, so i ran up the stairs again, shut the door and locked him out. he was too dumb to open it. so i went on, thinking "was it really intended that way?"

Heh, I had the same problem with that guy except I would always throw things at him as he was trying to hit me. He got really pissed then was satisfied after only hitting me once...

on the entanglement level (the one with electrified water)
how do you get past that gap?
i had to pile a bunch of things up to get across
but most everyhting was destructable so i didnt think that was the way
as for my stupidest moment, i was at the part where you first see a strider, and i fired all my rpg rockets at it and kept shooting at it, but i realized taht it was walking away so i shot at it more
then i had like no ammo, and i waited and waited for it to come back
it never did :(

Ont the Water hazard level, the blue barrels under the cage thing had me confused for a good 15 minutes.

Also, on the buggy level where there's that wooden fence that you have to figure out how to open, I spent the longest time with no clue what to do. I thought it would be a good idea to go on foot, but I saw the tunnel ahead and I thought it would take forever. So, since I had no idea how to open the gate, I just tried to get the car over the gate with the gravity gun. It didn't work, so I noticed the small chain-link fence next to the gate. I pushed the car over there and repeatedly shot the grav gun at it to get it to clear the fence. Eventually, it flipped of the fence on its roof and I flipped it back over and drove away lol.

that damn bridge!!!

i musta crawled back and forth under it about 15-20 times, disovered i have virtual vertigo too, before i found the button in the control room at the other end.... First time there, I'd lobbed a table through the forcefield and it had landed over the button..... D'oH!!!!

Quartz Botanica said:
Lol, I had those Water Hazard moments too! When theres like a barrier on fire, and I thought I couldn't get past it, so I went on foot for awhile...and the blue container underneath the cage thing. =P

Join the club :rolleyes:
I ran on foot till I meet up with the chopper, after trying to run away from it for a while (dying about 10 tiumes) and nearly making it to the toxic pipe and dying, I realized I need my boat back.
The blue air containers under the cage were easy.

after you get the gravity gun and dog lets you through that door, theres a part where there is a really tall ladder and there is a cage protecting the bottom of the ladder. lets just say that i thought the cage didnt open, so i was stacking boxs, cabinets, everything to get up past that cage covering the ladder. then i finally foind that the thing opens if you push it. i was there for literally 20 mins trying to climb that thing

Kommie said:
Are you being sarcastic, I mean jesus they were not real there was an infinite number of them, I think I would have to kill you If we were in a war together (if you were serious that is)

The fictional character isn't my point. My point is that somebody who can be so god damn disrespectful to women in general for absolutely no reason at all really angers me.

I found using the word "bitch" to be offensive, regardless of whether it was used to describe a real or ficticious character, but at the same time I wanted to make it clear that I do understand that some women really are bitches.

I couldn't give a damn about the fictional character, it's the general lack of respect for women without any regard for what they do or don't do that gets right up my nose.

I made a big mistake at the start of Highway 17 (I think) where you first get the buggy. I drove like a maniac over the beach to the first thumper thingy that scares the Ant Lions and a house. Had a look around, saw that I couldn't take the buggy along the beach because of the ridge that the house was on. I didn't realise you could shoot the fence which also blocks your path, so I went on foot. Finally, made it to the resistance fighters and helped them destroy the gunship. Then was told that someone would open the gate for me, except I needed my vehicle to continue, doh!!! Had to back track to the buggy, chased by loads of Ant Lions. What a donut! Well, at least I knew where to go this time...

The part with the buggy where you have to place the batteries, I spent 20 minutes to figure out how the gate would open. Then I checked the battery table and figured it out by moving the 1 battery on it. Then I started looking for the other batteries, only to find out after 30 minutes that I had thrown all other batteries except 1 to the sea in frustation.

Revenge said:
The fictional character isn't my point. My point is that somebody who can be so god damn disrespectful to women in general for absolutely no reason at all really angers me.

I found using the word "bitch" to be offensive, regardless of whether it was used to describe a real or ficticious character, but at the same time I wanted to make it clear that I do understand that some women really are bitches.

I couldn't give a damn about the fictional character, it's the general lack of respect for women without any regard for what they do or don't do that gets right up my nose.

what if you where describing a female dog? :LOL: i dont know why but that laugh emoticon makes me laugh :LOL:

My best moment was when we first have the buggy and we're going down on that magnet thingy and it jams, the buggy was up side down and i was wating for the gal to put him right again :x then i went up where those fighters were and waited a few moments more thill i hear "go, what are you waiting for" and i was thinking... hu... my buggy?

Oh and better yet it was when i got it, i was driving as i drive in halo with the mouse... so.. i ended up in water and had to load cause the grav gun wouldn't work there :p

I was stuck near the end, in the courtyard before the suppresor (after taking it out), against the striders. I ran out of rockter ammo, and cause they said they lost the crate of rocket ammo in the middle of the field, I kept looking over and over. I'd taken out one strider with the rockets from other rebels, and damaged the second.

About a dozen reloads later, I discovered that there was no ammo crate, nor any rebel rocket launchers left. So I was thinking I'm screwed, untill I noticed my smg still had three grenades left.

Using those on the strider (all three needed to hit) took it down, and then I was looking for health (down to 5). Much to my shame, I found out that there's an alley of amazing cover, with infinite rocket ammo, and healthpacks nearby. So I'd just spent an hour or so trying to take out that last strider with grenades (it's hard to aim smg grenades to the body of a moving/shooting strider!)

I was stuck at the puzzle where you had to put those three batteries in the powersupply to get the gate to open on Sandtraps.
I could walk across but my buggy couldn't.

I couldn't figure out what to do there, so I found a small gap in the walll, and gave full throttle on my buggy (with turbo and all) and got my buggy half-way through the gap, and used the gravity gun to push it further. Never did open the gate and until I heard someone explain it, I thought I did the right thing :LOL:

Heh, I just used logic for most of the puzzles that you guys got caught on :p

;)

Only at one point in Nova Prospekt did I stack boxes to get along when there was a better way. I was supposed to pull the plug to get through a force field to unlock a door, but I just stacked boxes and got up to the next level.
There were 2 or 3 other times where I got confused, read the strategy guide, and went "D'oh!".
Fortunately, those were the only times I had to resort to the guide, and it was usually because I didn't explore enough.

This is why Prima will sell so many guides...

Now, the 'Riding the Antlion' story.

There's this part on the coast, after you get behind the forts (after you just got the bugbait), where you come to this very simple jump. A gap, with a log streaching halfway out to help. Only thing is, I didn't SEE the log at first.

After falling to my death twice, I think, "Ah HA, Valve is testing my inginuity! I will chalenge their physics engine to the full extent! I have antlions, they can fly, hence, I will STAND ON TOP of the antlion and let it waft me across."

Let's just say that didn't work too well. But I was CONVINCED it would work. That was a very frustrating hour. Then I fell on the log, and was like, "DUH", and jumped across.

It would have been cool if it worked, though.

at the bit with the batteries i ended up trying to ram my buggy through the gate, and had it fall into the surf. I also tried jumping into the water only to have the game give me this:

Subject: Gordon Freeman
State: Terminated
Reason: Displayed extremely poor use of judgement

when i saw this i really laughed :D

eventually i realized i had knocked the battery off the water tower onto the roof of the house, and i noclipped to get it down.

The Water Hazard bit got me with the wall of fire.... I actually tried driving straight into thinking id do some kind of action hero "jump through the flames" move. And ended up geting the boat stuck, so ran on foot and got toally owned by the chopper to 15 health before i made it to the toxic sludge. I managed to get through the tunnel with some mega tunnel hugging. Butyo my dismay i saw the chopper come down infront of me and i suddenly went into a state of depression after my recent achievement....

And died.

Fantastic stuff though lol

I also got stuck with the Blue containers and cage, to lower the ramp. It took me 20 mins to work that one out.

The MOST embarrasing i will admit to, i couldnt work out the part in ravenholme where you need to move the platform to be able to get from one upper level to the opposite.... i searched long and hard for 30 mins for a button.... tried using the grav gun, exploding barrells..... meanwhile loads of zombies coming or me and me wasting ALL my ammo, i finally found the lever :p

Back