Comical "Help, I'm stuck!" moments.

Five big dumb things I did / didn't do in the game.

1) Right after Barney gives you your crowbar, and you go on the run as the Metro Cops start shooting at you. I couldn't see any way to escape the area -- there's a slight jump onto a platform that lets you jump onto the train, but for some reason it looked too high. I took oodles of damage before I realized it.

2) Right after you first get into your car, and the crane drops you upside down. I didn't know how to turn the car over. I thought maybe I had to use the crane, so I ran around looking for a way to climb it, with antlions attacking me the whole time. Then I tried rolling grenades under the car, thinking the explosion might flip it over. That was a good ten minute adventure.

3) I went through the entire game the first time without realizing you could zoom with the Z key. I somehow missed the on-screen prompt, probably because I was still gawking over the graphics.

4) Directly related to that, about halfway through the game, I remembered I'd seen a video that showed you could zoom. I thought maybe it was a secondary function of the submachine gun, so I dumbly right-clicked while holding the SMG. This, of course, launched a grenade directly into the wall a few feet away, which hurt a great deal.

5) Finally, I went through the entire game the first time without realizing you could grab the manhacks with the Grav Gun. I remember initially trying it on a destroyed manhack, and nothing happened, so I figured it couldn't be done. Wasted a lot of shotgun shells after that, I guess!

Man. With all those listed like that, I'm surprised I even finished the game.

Jpennin1 said:
When you first get in front of the building with the "death ray from above" I ran around in front of it for about 30 minutes trying to grav gun the only vehicle onto its side to try to climb over the fence because I saw no other way into the middle part of the courtyard.

Turns out that there is a door at the other end that I didn't see.

By the way, I did manage to grav gun the vehicle on its side and climb up but even though I should be able to jump over the fence the game wouldn't let me.

Same for me it took me ages to find that door.

in one of the airboat levels, you had to use the empty blue barrels to raise the ramp, i didnt know i was supposed to put them *under* the ramp, so i took everything i could find, and put the objects *on top of * of the ramp trying to lower the other end~~~``
then i found out the barrels were empty with air~~~

at the very beginning of the sandtraps level when you still have your buggy and have to open the gate, I couldnt figure out the puzzle so I spent several minutes launching my buggy over the wall with the grav gun. worked out eventually, and I still have no idea how to solve the puzzle! :D

Of course in the infamous battery puzzle, but I tried to solve it by picking up one of those Zappmines with the gravgun and tried to push it into the empty slot, hoping it would create enough energy to work...needless to say, it did not. And the mine was pissed, too.

Annother thing was later ingame, when you come across that street with the asphalt torn of and the barricade at the end. That barricade will be constantly manned by Metrocops, and well, I was running pretty low on ammo (we're talking about half a pistol mag left), until I spotted that door that let you get behind the barricade...

Also funny: shooting antlions for "cowardice in front of the enemy" as they did not want to get past those thumpers. Yelling at the automatic turrets for not flipping upright ASAP when I picked them up during nova prospect. Good times.

On that level where the guy tells you not to step on the sand, first time through it, I hadn't see him yet, but I heard him saying hold up, we'll make it blah blah blah talking to the other guy that was dying, so I sprinted over to him, thinking that he was being attacked or something, and right as he tells me to "stay there" I tried to stop, too much momentum, barely stepped on the sand, like 5 antlions pop up and own him, I literally said "****!" out loud, then they turned around and owned me :*(

just funny moment I guess

Oh, just remembered, not stuck, but the stupidiest thing I did in the game, in entanglement, where Alyx and you find Ely trapped in that pod thing, then she says something like "i'll tap into your suits radio frequence and see what I can do from here.." I honestly don't know what I was thinking, but I thought the suit had some type of gun or ray or whatever and she was gonna be controlling it, so right after that you go through a door and there are some fast headcrabs in that room, i opened up the door and stepped in and just stood there, thinking she was gonna shoot them with my suit remotely, they started killing me and I was like WTF?? where are you Alyx???

then I found out she just opens gates and stuff like that, gay :upstare:

I didnt hear properly when he knocked the can over so I picked it up and smashed him over the head with it then using backward jumping (which is way faster than his run) I let him chase me round the room then I hopped through the opening he was guarding.

Oh and as for the bit I was stuck on, same as the initial poster, cept I figured out I needed the buggy after only about 15 mins so it didn't cause me as much heartache :)

-J

the longest time I got stuck for was about 10 mins. A small hold up at the batterie part, the part after the big battle with the striders, and thats about it. You know, I never really had any problems figuring out stuff in this game. but maybe i'm just smart! nay, Ingenius! BOW DOWN BEFORE ME, PEASANTS!:devil:

Holy crap, i've been quoted again in someone's sig. ::points up at bob:: I feel so special.

Now, excuse me, I have the flu, and need to be unconcious for awhile.

enthused said:
after you get the gravity gun and dog lets you through that door, theres a part where there is a really tall ladder and there is a cage protecting the bottom of the ladder. lets just say that i thought the cage didnt open, so i was stacking boxs, cabinets, everything to get up past that cage covering the ladder. then i finally foind that the thing opens if you push it. i was there for literally 20 mins trying to climb that thing

I know exactly what you mean. :) I spent at least 30 minutes which was kind of unfair because the ladder didn't even 'work' before the cage was open, even though I managed to stack enough boxes to get on top of the cage.

lammmbda said:
in one of the airboat levels, you had to use the empty blue barrels to raise the ramp, i didnt know i was supposed to put them *under* the ramp, so i took everything i could find, and put the objects *on top of * of the ramp trying to lower the other end~~~``
then i found out the barrels were empty with air~~~

Same here mate, same here. That was the only time I got stuck. After that puzzle I realised I had to use my noggin a lot harder then I was used to.

OrrA said:
The only real problem i encountered while playing the game, well, I had many, but only 1 that i couldnt figure out on my own eventually.. and it was in the buggy level, where you have to put the batteries in the 3 slots.. i couldnt figure out what to do but I knew it had to do with those things..
After a while of running around everywhere trying to find something i missed and trying to drive over the wall somehow or using the grav gun to get it over, i started throwing random objects at the 3 battery slots, and once in a while id throw a battery not realising what it was, and a light would go green.. I'd go.. WOAH what did I do?? *keep throwing objects*. Then the light would turn red again when id manage to somehow get the battery out.. and back to green eventually.. then I gave up and came here for the answer.. hehe.. I felt pretty stupid.

oh, i had a problem there too, i knew right off the bat that those things needed batteries, but i couldnt find the 3rd battery :LOL: After 15 min of searching, i found it in the junked car.

On the Bridge section, I got to the end of the bridge and pressed the button that deactivated the forcefield so that I could get through. I was a tad preoccupied so I assumed the button opened a new door for me to go through. I searched for about 45 minutes before deciding to venture back. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

jabberwock95 said:
The weirdest place I got 'stuck' was when I tried to tease the combine soldiers at the beginning.

I threw stuff at a guy guarding a door until he chased me, then I ran to where he was standing (in front of the door). He ran upto me and started beating me. And I couldnt move. I was held against that door and beaten for 5 mins before I started again.

Lol that's the only place where i got stuck the entire game. In the part right before barney comes out and gets you, where you're in that cage with like 4 or 5 combine guys. I grabbed the suitcases on the table and just started owning the combine with them, dancing and jumping back and forth until they all started whalloping me with their stunbattons in the corner until i reloaded.

For me it was early in the game you had to hit the grate underneath you it dropped you into a room with a lot of flammable barrels. The trick was to turn the valve and flood the rooms. What I did was: stack a bunch of barrels underwater (took forever and was very hard) and climb into the tube only to find that I was still stuck on the other side. :angry:

Doesn't seem like anyone's goofed on the only part that had me stumped. When you have the buggy and you come to the base controlled by the Combine where there's a huge magnet you use to get the buggy up to where you can drive up to the road... yeah I couldn't figure that out. I thought the magnet was just for dropping boxcars on Combine soldiers and knocking the bridge down. I tried so many times to drive my buggy up that wimpy little wooden ramp, only to realize that even if I did get up there, the buggy could not climb up the ladder. It took forever and frustrated the hell out of me.

On Nova Prospect, I was trying to rush through, and I didn't bother picking up spare ammo. I ended up in the portal room with nothing but Glock and a little SMG ammo. I refused to cheat or lower the difficulty, so I loaded a previous save.

This is from the beggining when you run up the stairs and the gaurd asks you to pick up the garbage. At first I saw him there, so I went back down the stairs, grabed a cinderblock and tryed to hit him with it. I was very said when it did nothing to the gaurd. He just chased me and gave me a good beat down. When you hit the walls with it you know its gotta hurt to be hit by that, but it just doesnt hit the guy. Well it would have been sweet to reak havok with the almighty cinder block.

I geuss buzzing zombies in half with saws and the gravity gun made up for it though in ravenholm.

Cpt_Spleen said:
I think I'm stuck in the same spot...

Ironically, I doubled back to the underground lot, and I can't even seem to find out how I got there... doh!

ROFL

I'm glad I wasn't the only one. I must have spent an hour doing the same!! :eek:

For me, it was at the portion in Route Kanal when you have to turn on the water valve. I didn't know you had to get to the Valve, so I was doing some really stupid stuff. I thought the area with the suit energy & health was the way to get out, so I spent like 2 hours setting barrells up correctly to reach it. When I found you couldn't get out, I went "Awww DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!! This sucks!".

When I found the Valve I couldn't reach it. So I tried shooting it :rolling: . And like 10x I fell in the water trying to reach it. Luckily I got out of there before too long.

at the start of highway 17 you're sposed to drive the buggy up a slope then turbo off the broken bridge.. i didnt know that at first so i spent 20 mins shooting my buggy over a bunch of rocks with the grav gun to get to the tunnel.. :rolleyes:

PrivateerLunatic said:
I was just reading some "stuck" threads and I thought I'd ask everyone to post their own most comical stupid errors they made over the course of the game that ended up getting them stuck (or times where the bleeding obvious never seemed to hit them).

For me, it was in Water Hazard. I had reached a point (it was like a burning oil tanker) where I thought my airboat could not go any further. So I played for about an hour and fifteen minutes on foot.

Then, I came to this point where there are these windy zig-zag man-made canals, and a helicopter is shooting you constantly. I did about 50-70 quickloads just trying to get past the helicopter on foot. Then I finally made it with about 10 health left, and I jumped in a pipe...only to find that it was toxic sludge and that I needed the airboat and it was supposed to come all this way all along, and I had to reload a really old saved game because I couldn't walk back because the 'copter would kill me. That sucked. ;)

Now, c'mon everyone else...do tell. =)

I did EXCACTLY the same thing!!! Thought I was the only one... Hehe... Rofl!!
I also in Ravenholm at the point where you use the cars to get on the roof, you climb through a window and opens a door... Well... I didn't open the door... I shoot it, exploded it, ran around for 1 hour trying to figure out what to do next and then accidently pressed ''E'' at the door! LOL!!! Hmm... I also exploded a lot of flammable barrels... With my crowbar... D'OH!!!

kupoartist said:
When the Metro Cops raid the tenement. Whilst making my escape to the second staircase, I picked up a cardboard box in an attempt to see if I could dump it and block the Metrocops running after me. I have concluded that I would have achieved that goal, if I had not put the Box In front of me. Cue my "Help I'm Stuck!" moment as I desperately scramble over the box and am whacked to death by the Metro Cop's battons in the process.

Yep... I also did that... :thumbs:

What's the weapon just underneath the standard machine gun, can only hold 90 ammo and packs a lot of punch. I only discovered that it had a seconary fire near the end of the game and it's the best secondary fire since it dissovles the soldiers
Thats news to me. Why did no one tell me about the secondary fire??? :sniper:

I got stuck on water hazard where you get the gun installed to your boat, I drove to this place where there were 2 combine cars you had to destroy, then you had to get to this ramp and drive off it with the boat, I mean I could see it, but there was no way to get to it. I finally got frusterated after 20 min and went by foot, I went thru this lil crack and I saw some explosive barrels so Im like what the hell, so I shoot them and a door to a red metal crate opens and that was big enough for my airboat!!! w00t!

Hahahahahaha, owhh man I have had a few :dork:

Never knew about secondary fire until after Ravenholm and that was only because in DeathMatch I accidently hit the secondary fire button :eek:

Didn't know how to steer the rockets with the laser AT ALL, again in Deathmatch I was baffled as shit as to how people kept getting me with them damn rockets and when I finally did get the launcher I couldn't the broad side of a barn :dork:

The 3rd was in Follow Freeman, where you are in the big stupid White House like building destroying the 3 generators powering the surpasser.... Well the room with the mines and lasers triggering the turrets was HELL :flame: I thought the turrets were destroyable, so I tripped lasers and immediatly died a few times....ok a few dozen times, even trying buddha mode to destroy them damn turrets!!!!!! I tried shotgun, the powerball thingy, secondary on the machine gun, mines, throwing grenades at the damn things and NOTHING WORKED :dozey: There was so much damn blood in that room it was pathetic :smoking: Finally I realized what all those pipes were for........ :naughty: :stare:

In Highway 17 at the blue energy fence... I didn't relize that you had to knock the car off to cut the wires.. so I constructed a ramp out of sheet metal and barrels... And it worked! Then I noticed the wire coming down.. I spent like 20 minutes to :LOL:

WTF? Okay, I try to have a high tolerance for stupidity but when people say that the museum that houses the suppression field in HL2 looks like the White House... well... just... WTF?????

duckmoose said:
WTF? Okay, I try to have a high tolerance for stupidity but when people say that the museum that houses the suppression field in HL2 looks like the White House... well... just... WTF?????

Well, its not EXACTLY like the White House, but thats what it remind me of :D And for someone who seems to say "WTF" alot your not one to be calling someone stupid :burp:

[QUOTE/]And for someone who seems to say "WTF" alot your not one to be calling someone stupid[/QUOTE]

Ya got me there, Tex! :thumbs:

EDIT: And just to clarify, you were like the second or third person I had heard call it the white house and the first two didn't even make it clear what they were talking about so I had no idea what they were talking about until your post, so I was annoyed. If ANYTHING at all it kind of looks more like the Capitol (White House is frikin flat-roofed!). And "WTF" is just so much fun to say!!!

EDIT2: Grammatical fix.

a stupid moment for me in hl2 was when i didn't listen to the guy who gave me the rocket so i thought the laser was just to help you aim. I would shoot, and then run off looking the other direction, often times at the ground, which would make the rocket come and hit right next to me. It wasn't for a couple of hours that i loaded back far enough to listen to the guy. i felt so stupid! but that's nothing compared to the fact that i didn't know the crossbow in hl1 had a scope until the second time i played the game.

duckmoose said:
[QUOTE/]And for someone who seems to say "WTF" alot your not one to be calling someone stupid

Ya got me there, Tex! :thumbs:

EDIT: And just to clarify, you were like the second or third person I had heard call it the white house and the first two didn't even make it clear what they were talking about so I had no idea what they were talking about until your post, so I was annoyed. If ANYTHING at all it kind of looks more like the Capitol (White House is frikin flat-roofed!). And "WTF" is just so much fun to say!!!

EDIT2: Grammatical fix.[/QUOTE]

Glad we cleared that up, and lol at Mr. Awesome ;)

Hjartarson said:
Well, i guess i got 'stuck' on the battery-gate opening puzzle. At first i thought it was some kind of code i needed to put in, so i just moved the box around for a while :LOL: ..then i saw the other electric box on the opposite table.. and then surprisingly fast i realized that the third one had to be on top of the windmill... so i lobbed a grenade up there..and then i searched for the box for around 10 minutes in the tall grass :LOL:

And yeah, i tried to use the antlions to fly too. :hmph:

AHHHHHH So theres a battery on the windmill! I got my 3rd one out of the engine of the car thats on bricks next to the shack.

The first thing i did when i got the rocket launcher was try and turn the laser off like in hl1, sometimes its nice to have a rocket going straight....which you dont have to worry about.

I didnt get stuck anywhere in HL2. (If i did, it was at most for about 10 mins or so). :p

At the gate in Highway 17 (or was it Sandtraps?) with the damn 3 batterys. I wasted ALL my ammo shooting & grav gunning it.

Then I saw the wire going to the house, followed it and realised I had already grav guned 2 of the batterys of the damn cliff!

My "duh" moment came when I was on Sandtraps I think.. It was where you come up on the houses after having all the rocks to jump across. I went inside the last house and noticed a generator and turned it on and noticed the Thumper started up and didnt think much about it.. I then saw the wide open area I had to cross and got out the gravity gun took 2 metal sheets with me and I would walk onto one and move the other in front basically making it so that I could walk straight across and never step on the sand.. It wasnt till I got the bugbait that I realised what the Thumpers did and I felt like such an idiot for wasting 15 minutes trying to cross that open area when I could have just walked across.

Back