Comical "Help, I'm stuck!" moments.

AntiAnto said:
On that level (see picture), I got stuck a least 2 hours trying to get a way out. First, I though I could pile up some barrels to reach the large pipe and go on the other side. But I was all wrong. The answer was just on the other room where you have to turn a wheel, so the water can come up. I had tried to find a way out when I said to myself that piling up some barrels was obviously the answer. So I took the barrels one by one and dropped them in the little opening on the floor. Then, I piled them up near the large pipe. It took me something like 30 minutes to pile up thoses stupids barrels that kept falling back to me. I wished that Gabe Newell blew up suddenly because he made a damn stupid game like that. Then, I read on theses forums that the only thing you had to do was to turn the goddamn wheel.

I did the same thing. I spent maybe 2 hours running around those rooms, banging on things, looking for secret doors and such.

I finally did the same and threw all the barrels down and piled them up.. doing that underwater SUCKED. I died over and over because I'd jump onto a barrel and somehow get trapped and killed instantly by the lip of the big pipe.

When I finally got into the pipe I went through it and was so happy.. only to find that I couldn't get across!

I spend a good amount of time trying to figure out how to use boxes and the big spools to get across.

I finally found the wheel too... duh!

I have to say I spent a good 15% of my time during the game confused and wondering where to go. There were lots of places where you just have to wander around during a firefight trying to decide where "we left ammo across the square" means.

I also got stuck in a number of places where there are endless spawns and I sat trying to kill them all so I can go by.

This bugged me in Far Cry too. My two big problems with FPS games today seems to be:

1. Making some vehicles killable and others invulnerable with no clue as to which is which. Do I waste ammo shooting at this? Do I have to kill this one to go on? Do I need to shoot it one more time or is this a scripted thingy?

2. Endless respawing creature spots. This is annoying as hell, as there are some places where a ton of AI comes at you, then you kill them all and you are done. And others where they just keep coming and coming until you waste all your ammo. So sometimes you have to rush them to stop them spawining, other times rushing them just gets you killed becayse they are all waiting and the only way to tell is to die over and over figureing out which it is.

Both are great games.. but I dislike having to take my mind out of the gameplay and figure out what the game design is to solve a problem. IF you have endless streams of guys you have to stop, don't make just walking across a bridge stop them, make me shoot down their resupply vehicle or blow up a tunnel. Invisible triggers suck.

Another duh moment.. I didn't realise that the thumpers drove away the antlions.

So I never turned the one one where you park the car, and parked it too far away from the crane and had to rtun down and move it into place with antlions all over.

Then later I find out what they do. Duh! :)

The part of the game where you learn to use the gravity gun had a funny sequence. When the combine started swarming in one of the headcrab pods flew down and landed dead center on me. It trapped me inside and I couldn't move at all. I had to restart to the last save.

I was stuck at the water valve (with the barrels) too, the irritating bit being I knew what to look for!

in the batteries part i pretty much realised what to do, so i went out and found the on ine the car, then heck, where is the third one?

took me some good time to realise it is 2 inches frmo the battery port...

One I haven't seen anyone write is in the part where you have to get your buggy up using the crane...
I was so thrilled of playing a bit of the game that was released as a movie, I decided to make my play a replay of the movie moves, throwing back a grenade, and killing combines using the crane, dropping a container on them. Only I never realised I can also use the crane to actually lift my buggy! So i went on by foot, killing all the combines skillfuly, only when I got to the bridge I realised this isnt something i can sprint over!

EVEN THEN I didn't realise I can use the crane, I went back on teh buggy and drove on the shore to find maybe something like the long-jump pack, fighting antlions along the path... felt totally dumb on that one.

MoD said:
Only I never realised I can also use the crane to actually lift my buggy! So i went on by foot, killing all the combines skillfuly, only when I got to the bridge I realised this isnt something i can sprint over!
This got me too. Then I was equally frustrated because I parked my buggy too far away for the crane to pick up (even fully extended) so I had to move it while getting attacked by countless antlions then I went back up to the crane only to find out that I parked it too close! sonofabitch.

My worst hour was spent in, I think, Water Hazard. It's the part where you get to a dead end, sort of. There are some tanks up on the dock shooting at you. Below the dock is a "passageway" that leads to a pile of rubble/makeshift ramp. I couldn't figure out how to get in there... until at one point I just rammed the posts and sort of "fell in." Great, I'm in! So I speed towards the ramp, and halfway through my jump I'm shot and I fall back into the water. Ok, so I try again... and again... and again. I keep dying, and I just can't figure it out. Then I thought, "why don't I go way back and get more speed." I'm hitting turbo and crashing into walls... then finally I see that one of the trailer/container thingies is filled with exploding barrels. I shoot, it, the opening appears, and I think, "damn... I'm such an idiot."

The batteries got me too.

I took a break last night... I'm at the part where you set up three turrets and you have to keep them standing. Not sure what I'm missing here, but it's damn hard.

hehe I found a battery under the bath tub.
1 in the machine,
1 on the bed, and
1 under a bath tub outside. I just figured that was a neat place to hide something in a game. so I popped it with the grav gun primary, and found a battery under there.

My silly moment was in Sand Trap.. Pretty much the same as every body else, I had no idea what the heck those thumpers were doing. It wasn't till I got the bug bait that I realised what they did. damn I felt silly. Especially after I realised there was a thumper right next to where I parked my buggy for the crane bit. So while replaying it on hard, I turned it on, and was able to survive that part with no deaths, after going through 3 deaths on easy. Funny thing is that as you are getting the buggy, the guy tells you to make use of the thumpers. Guess we should have paid more attention to the NPC's :LOL:

heh heh those are all funny. I got stuck on Follow Freeman in the room with the red beams... I killed all the turrets eventualy and ran around looking for a grate cover somewhere. I must have spent 4 hours flipping the table around and stacking the pictures trying to get to the vents in the ceiling. Eventualy I figured out that you weren't supposed to have the turrets pop out at all. Ha ha ha ha

Hmm, at the end of Route Kanal, when you first see the headcrab shells, I was stuck there for a while because I didn't think you could walk through the giant red container thing. It just looked completely lethal and I was trying to find a way to shut down the electricity before going though. I also tried to stack up some stuff to get on top of those plates (roof?), to no avail. I finally decided to try to walk though the electified metal container, and was a bit suprised I wasn't hurt! Damn....

Also, shortly into Highway 17, after taking down that gunship, I couldn't figure out where to drive so I drove all over the place for several minutes before discovering that the way forward was right in front of where I parked in that base.

OrrA said:
The only real problem i encountered while playing the game, well, I had many, but only 1 that i couldnt figure out on my own eventually.. and it was in the buggy level, where you have to put the batteries in the 3 slots.. i couldnt figure out what to do but I knew it had to do with those things..
After a while of running around everywhere trying to find something i missed and trying to drive over the wall somehow or using the grav gun to get it over, i started throwing random objects at the 3 battery slots, and once in a while id throw a battery not realising what it was, and a light would go green.. I'd go.. WOAH what did I do?? *keep throwing objects*. Then the light would turn red again when id manage to somehow get the battery out.. and back to green eventually.. then I gave up and came here for the answer.. hehe.. I felt pretty stupid.

So that's what you're supposed to do!! I never figured it out. Instead, I drove my buggy to the left hole in the wall and blasted it around until it fit through the whole and out the other side. Haha. My way was more fun. :p

rchuno said:
heh heh those are all funny. I got stuck on Follow Freeman in the room with the red beams... I killed all the turrets eventualy and ran around looking for a grate cover somewhere. I must have spent 4 hours flipping the table around and stacking the pictures trying to get to the vents in the ceiling. Eventualy I figured out that you weren't supposed to have the turrets pop out at all. Ha ha ha ha
Hah, I did the exact same thing, except I did it about 30 times in a row not destroying ANY of the turrets until I finally realized, "Oh, I'm supposed to 'avoid' the red sensors, not run though them" hah.

Wrafe said:
The MOST embarrasing i will admit to, i couldnt work out the part in ravenholme where you need to move the platform to be able to get from one upper level to the opposite.... i searched long and hard for 30 mins for a button.... tried using the grav gun, exploding barrells..... meanwhile loads of zombies coming or me and me wasting ALL my ammo, i finally found the lever :p

Mine is even worse... I did the same thing all except that I found the lever... and assumed I needed to do something else with platform. I'll blame it on how dark it was though... I couldn't see that it was even a platform... I thought it was another of Gregory's traps I had to use somehow... That's about the only time I've gotten stuck.

I got stuck after the big Strider fight in the courtyard. I killed all the Striders and then I searched and searched for a way out - I had to look up a walkthrough for a clue on how to get out.

I got stuck in Route Kanal for about 30 minutes before I realized that I was a real stupid ass.

At some point in this level you arrive in a room that is full of barrells, some are explosive and some are not. Anyway you're supposed to flood the room by activating a valve into order to be able to swim to the next room.

But I didn't notice the valve. So instead I threw all the barrels into the lower part of the room, then climbed down the ladder, and piled up the barrels in order to be able to reach the pipe leading to the next room. So it took me about 20 minutes do do that, because those damn barrels are pretty hard to manipulate without a gravity gun and then you also get killed when you jump on those barrels. So I finally reached the next room, but since the level of the water was too low, I couldn't get anywhere from there (but it took me another 10 minutes to figure out that I was stuck and that obviously I forgot to do something)!!!

Ryjalon5k said:
same thing here, except i put two peices of sheet metal against the fence and turboed over it.

Same here. I didn't even know there were any batteries. I just defeated the combine soldiers, and the put the 2 pieces of metal against the fence, took the buggy, turned on the turbo and that was it!!! :E

HoneyBadger said:
I suffer from over complicating the puzzle, instead of blasting something or just looking for an underwater tunnel, I try stacking boxes or getting the granade in just the right spot...not that it every works.

Ditto. Mine was the Route Kanal (or so I remember). It was the part where you are in two rooms. The object is to climb down the pipes in one room, and open a valve. that floods, and you swim down through the pipe, and continue on your merry way. I found a bunch of barrels, spent almost two hours stacking them, only to find I had no way to cross the next section.

I also had trouble in an earlier part, where you jump down the hole in the red boxcar. I tried stacking stuff at the other end, before I finally saw the hole.

I got stuck at a place in Ravenholm where you jump out of a window and there is a fire under a grate and and explosive barrel behind a grate which, when you shoot it, 3 toxic headcrabs run out on fire.
Anyway.....I spent about 1/2 an hour piling up barrels next to a wall so i could get onto a ledge only to find that it didn't lead anywhere and then about 15 minutes later i found a ladder.

I also got stuck for a while in the tower at the end, the bit where you lose all your weapons but the grav gun, there was some sort of bug that wouldn't let me jump so after about 2 hours of running back and forth i ripped the video consoles off of the wall and made a ramp with them so i could get over the iron railing (At the time i didn't realise it was a bug and thought it was part of the level design).

But apart from that everything else was pretty logical, it's interesting that every time i thought i was going down a different path than i was meant to it turned out to be the right one.

AntiAnto said:
On that level (see picture), I got stuck a least 2 hours trying to get a way out. First, I though I could pile up some barrels to reach the large pipe and go on the other side. But I was all wrong. The answer was just on the other room where you have to turn a wheel, so the water can come up. I had tried to find a way out when I said to myself that piling up some barrels was obviously the answer. So I took the barrels one by one and dropped them in the little opening on the floor. Then, I piled them up near the large pipe. It took me something like 30 minutes to pile up thoses stupids barrels that kept falling back to me. I wished that Gabe Newell blew up suddenly because he made a damn stupid game like that. Then, I read on theses forums that the only thing you had to do was to turn the goddamn wheel.

Goddamn man... I feel your pain. I was there for almost half the the first night of playing (on the 16th).

lol nice thread :>
i got stuck in the level that u get the buggy (don't remember the name) and u have to jump over the bridge there. i tried it for many times and i always crashed and fall down. so i took my gravity gun and pushed my buggy over the rocks on the other side of the beach. i didnt know about the nitro :<

I didn't know you could lift the buggy with the crane!

I swear I impulse 82'ed about 6 new buggies because I was too dumb to remember to take them with me as the level changed :D

I was on the jetski thing, and had just had it outfitted with a mounted gun. I got to a place where the canal has concrete walkways on either side, and some combine slammed these metal doors shut behind and in front of me.

After killing them all, I wandered for 1 1/2 hours pushing boxes into the sludge, and generally going insane trying to figure out how to get past (short of running through the sludge). I had to call a friend, who after struggling to figure out where I was... simply informed that that I had to drive the jetski onto the walkway (using a fallen piece of fence that I'd run across many times to get in and out of the vehicle).... and right out the other side.

Wow and I thought mine was better...What happened was I was really close to the last level but I decided to go load to the sandtrap to have fun i kept on saving pretty soon I was stuck on Sand trap ;(

Idonotbelonghere said:
Thats awesome :D
I dont like people telling me what to do so when i heard him tell me to pick up the can I just threw it at him, and ran away, came back, threw a different object at him, ran away, came back threw something else at him, ran around him and through the entrance and after a while he got tired of chasing me :p

Good one man of course I didnt think of that instead i obeyed then i threw som bottles at him he got extremly pissed I ran araound until other gaurds joined in then citizens ran nuts it was a freakin sweet until they got more cops then citizens and brung us down. :x I restarted and made a bigger mess outside there were tanks and it got really hard so i decided to show what I can do with broken glass and empty bottles of water :naughty: I threw my bottles at the police (with pistols) and I started beating them with my pistol pretty soon they were all dead I was a 3 hp until i died by a police who was blocked behind the tank.... :smoking: this is a must try for C00L gamers....

Revenge said:
I can understand referring to women as bitches and whores when they really do act like bitches and whores. The skanky street trash who doesn't give a damn who the hell you are and walks around whoring themselves off to whoever has the nicest car or the biggest selling album or whatever really do deserve the names that they are given by rappers, gangsters and wanna-bes all around the world. However the only female character in the entire game that I feel could ever deserve the title of "bitch" is Dr Mossman, and even then it's a fine line because she thought she was doing what was for the best of humanity.

All the resistance fighters, male and female, have been nothing but nice to you even though they have no god damn clue who the hell you really are, and even consistently sacrifice themselves for you. That woman most likely died in that fight, and she gave you a vital clue that you needed to survive and win. And all the respect you can show her is to call her rude names? Where is the respect man?

I know I sure as hell would leave you to die if we were in a war together, I simply couldn't tolerate somebody who shows total disregard for the sacrifices others make, and blames them because he didn't listen to what they said quiet eloquently and clearly.

Don't worry....THEY ARE NOT REAL PEOPLE. That's right, crazy huh! That woman in the game that was talking to Gordon is IMAGINARY. I don't think she is offended by the guy who referred to her as a "bitch". Yet somehow you manage to be. Kudos!

OK, I have had so many moments of utter stupidity in this game that I can't even remember them all. As I am still playing the game, however, I can relate to you the most recent synapse lapse. It came in the tunnels with that damn buggy, where exactly I can't say. (Again my memory in these types of games blurs and becomes vague after about two or three firefights.) Anyway, there are a bunch of cars blocking the road in the middle of the tunnel. To the right a platform with barrels and a vent grate that leads to a room with a couple of headcrabs. I decided to take them out first. After that I crawled into the room, collected the assorted goodies only to find that the door wouldn't open. There was a zombie outside moaning around but I couldn't shoot him because the glass was bullet proof. Then I noticed that the reason the door wouldn't open is because theres this metal cabinet (you know, the standard two door upright ones found all over the game that never seem to open) leaning against it. I didn't see it until five or so minutes had gone by! But thats nothing compared to what happened next. I went back out only to find myself in this big ass fight with zombies and those fast jumping leaping zombie like monsters (someone tell me what they are called). I spent an hour trying to get through with some degree of health intact. Then I realized that my buggy had that cannon! Wow! Did that ever make a difference! Lesson learned. Use the buggy cannon whenever possible!

Revenge said:
The fictional character isn't my point. My point is that somebody who can be so god damn disrespectful to women in general for absolutely no reason at all really angers me.

I found using the word "bitch" to be offensive, regardless of whether it was used to describe a real or ficticious character, but at the same time I wanted to make it clear that I do understand that some women really are bitches.

I couldn't give a damn about the fictional character, it's the general lack of respect for women without any regard for what they do or don't do that gets right up my nose.

Not surprising from a guy called Revenge. Calm down...

My stupidest moment was at the lighthouse where you have to shoot down the gunship, i didnt know i could shoot through the windows and kept going uptop and getting owned... took me about 6 retries until i got it. :)

desdinova said:
OK, I have had so many moments of utter stupidity in this game that I can't even remember them all. As I am still playing the game, however, I can relate to you the most recent synapse lapse. It came in the tunnels with that damn buggy, where exactly I can't say. (Again my memory in these types of games blurs and becomes vague after about two or three firefights.) Anyway, there are a bunch of cars blocking the road in the middle of the tunnel. To the right a platform with barrels and a vent grate that leads to a room with a couple of headcrabs. I decided to take them out first. After that I crawled into the room, collected the assorted goodies only to find that the door wouldn't open. There was a zombie outside moaning around but I couldn't shoot him because the glass was bullet proof. Then I noticed that the reason the door wouldn't open is because theres this metal cabinet (you know, the standard two door upright ones found all over the game that never seem to open) leaning against it. I didn't see it until five or so minutes had gone by! But thats nothing compared to what happened next. I went back out only to find myself in this big ass fight with zombies and those fast jumping leaping zombie like monsters (someone tell me what they are called). I spent an hour trying to get through with some degree of health intact. Then I realized that my buggy had that cannon! Wow! Did that ever make a difference! Lesson learned. Use the buggy cannon whenever possible!

Or use the grav gun to knock the cars into them... good ol' physical objects ;)

oldagerocker said:
Or use the grav gun to knock the cars into them... good ol' physical objects ;)

I did that for awhile, until I realised I could just ram them with the buggy. Why get out? Right?

I happened to take a picture of this for some reason only to later realize I "f-ed up". Now it's amusing...

The puzzle: supposed to find the batteries to lift the gate.

My Solution: Grav gun the sucking buggy over the fence. :LOL:

stuck.jpg

babbalugats

Bet you can't beat being stuck on level 1 in the plaza!! How embarrassing. Anyway, since then, no problems.

LucidEnigma said:
I happened to take a picture of this for some reason only to later realize I "f-ed up". Now it's amusing...

stuck.jpg

lol I did that too.

Another moment was when in Ravenholme, that part where you had to move the little wooden platform over so you can make the jump to the next building. At first, I didn't know that's what you had to do. So I got some distance, sprinted for a bit, and jumped to the next roof. Barely made it.

LucidEnigma said:

stuck.jpg

Ah! You had to find some batteries to that??! I just build a ramp and jumped over with my buggy to the other side. :)
Seemed like the right solution because of all the right stuff was lying there all around.

Destores said:
lol nice thread :>
i got stuck in the level that u get the buggy (don't remember the name) and u have to jump over the bridge there. i tried it for many times and i always crashed and fall down. so i took my gravity gun and pushed my buggy over the rocks on the other side of the beach. i didnt know about the nitro :<

LOL! I did that too
I didnt know it because of my usual style, I didnt read what the text sayed when I entered in the buggy. Eventually I died trying and next time I jumped in the buggy,I saw that there was a nitro button too :eek:

On my second time through (I stress that to show that i'm not usually this stupid ^^) I got killed at probably the earliest point in the game it is possible to get killed: When the Metro Cops raid the tenement. Whilst making my escape to the second staircase, I picked up a cardboard box in an attempt to see if I could dump it and block the Metrocops running after me. I have concluded that I would have achieved that goal, if I had not put the Box In front of me. Cue my "Help I'm Stuck!" moment as I desperately scramble over the box and am whacked to death by the Metro Cop's battons in the process.

Oh god, I’ve been laughing my ass off for the last 5 min reading these posts. There are some stupid people out there. You guys who ditch the vehicles in the middle of a level, wtf were you thinking? Do you think Valve would program that sh*t into the game? LMFAO, that’s just classic.

My most retarded moments: They are mostly due to not paying attention to NPCs. The Strider part I couldn’t find the unlimited missiles. Nothing super stupid. My funiest moment was on FollowFreeman. I lobbed a grenade at one of those mobile sentry guns. The gun flew in the air, DIDNT FALL OVER, landed at the bottem of the stairs and took out my entire squad.

sam316 said:
I lobbed a grenade at one of those mobile sentry guns. The gun flew in the air, DIDNT FALL OVER, landed at the bottem of the stairs and took out my entire squad.

OMG thats hilarious!!!!!

Well errm, i was stuck in the highway 17 at the start, when my buggy went upside down. I was like "wtf am i supposed to do now" Asked help on #hl2fi :D Few people laughed at me. I didnt even remember that i could use gravity gun.

PrivateerLunatic said:
I'm gonna have to stand with Revenge on this one. People who just randomly refer to women as bitches, whether said women are fictional or not, need to grow up or learn some manners, or deal with something.

It's just not acceptable, it's degrading to both the woman and the man who says it, and it's a telltale sign of bad character on the part of the man who says it.

Way to stand up for what's right, Revenge. I salute you.

OH NOES. There are bad people on teh intarnet!!! From this point on I shall devote my life to trolling Internet forums, looking for people saying bad things, and flame them in the middle of a topic that has nothing to do with it!!! Just call me....Justice Boi.

*end sarcasm*

I understand, but the nice thing about this place is that you will more than likely never meet the person who referred to women as "bitches". Also, you can just ignore the post, turn off your monitor, and go sit and relax if it bothers you so much.

Back