Cop fired for tackling cyclist unprovoked

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
caught on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUkiyBVytRQ

The startling YouTube video shows Officer Patrick Pogan, 22, apparently setting his sights on - and then tackling - a bicyclist as he pedaled along Seventh Avenue as part of last Friday's controversial Critical Mass ride.

Christopher Long, 29, was among a throng of riders as he whizzed toward the corner of West 46th Street at 9:30 p.m. and appeared to try and swerve away from the officer.

But the video shows Pogan pick up his pace as he stares down Long before shoving the cyclist, slamming him to the pavement.

To the dismay of stunned pedestrians, Long, who was not wearing a helmet, hurtles several feet through the air as he flips off the bicycle and lands on the curb.

What the video doesn't show is Pogan arresting Long for attempted assault in the third degree, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct - charges that kept the Bloomfield, NJ, man behind bars for 26 hours before his release late Saturday.

In court papers, Pogan accused Long of purposely swerving his bicycle to block traffic and then using it as a weapon to run down the officer, knocking him off his feet and causing a "laceration" on his forearm

"If it wasn't caught on video people would not have believed it," said Christopher Ryan, who rides with Critical Mass and is filming the monthly protests for a documentary. "The video just shows what the cyclists have been saying all along, that the police are still harassing and intimidating them from doing group rides," said Ryan. "An officer assaulted a cyclist for no reason. It's just crazy."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272008/news/regionalnews/cop_shoves_bicyclist_121984.htm

how many times has something like this happened and wasnt caught on video?

"the deranged skateboarder was trying to run me down, I HAD to shoot him 64 times, he gave me no choice ..for freedom and america!"

"oh he's a police officer he couldnt possibly be lying, he's a hero"

fcuk the poe-leese

I'm glad his dumb pig ass got fired

Dirty Cops. Despicable.

If only they got jail time more often. And butt rape. Extra butt rape.

actually he wasnt fired ..that was my mistake because I interpreted taking his badge and gun away as being fired ..he's just been stripped of his badge gun pending an investigation ..probably paid as well. the shit will momentarily hit the fan, he'll lie low for awhile and be eventually reinstated ..he'sll just be more careful to spot the video cameras before assualting a civillian next time

It seems weird for cops to have a grudge against cyclists. I don't understand.

They're cops. They're ****ing retarded and always on a power trip, and the ones who aren't are off-duty.

not a grudge ..i've seen this mentality before ..cops do crowd control of a protest group, cops write them off as "dirty hippies" cops want excuse to bust heads because they're "dirty hippies" and are up to no good, cop with hair line temper attacks civlians with little to no provocation, public agrees with cop because the victem is a "dirty hippy"

This always makes me think that the cop was in the middle of some action packed adventure; the crazed terrorist hopped on a bicycle and attempted to blend in with the event, but the cop saw through his facade and leapt at him. This bought James Bond time to catch up to the perp and save the world from nuclear annihilation.

The "official" story is that the assaulting officer was just an angry police man, and the terrorist? An innocent bicyclist.

Or maybe the cop was pissed off at some other cyclists nearly hitting him with their bike, and he wanted some payback. So he found the most opportune target

That was awesome. Best hit ive seen in a long time.

Looker closer. I'm pretty sure the cop just saved americur, you guys must be terrorists.
71589166ra6.png

That cop is a hero.

Why is this ride controversial? SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS RIDE IS ;(

This always makes me think that the cop was in the middle of some action packed adventure; the crazed terrorist hopped on a bicycle and attempted to blend in with the event, but the cop saw through his facade and leapt at him. This bought James Bond time to catch up to the perp and save the world from nuclear annihilation.

The "official" story is that the assaulting officer was just an angry police man, and the terrorist? An innocent bicyclist.

That's quite good.

Why is this ride controversial? SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THIS RIDE IS ;(

lots of cyclists get together to protest how unsafe it is to ride in the city ..or at least that's how it started

google critical mass

let's refrain from labeling all cops as "dirty" and just speculate about this specific cop, shall we?

long day, gotta to go to airport to pick up parents, it's very hot outside ..critical mass almost reached

I'm ****ing running over every goddam cyclist on the way to the airport ..and just to be fair, I'll also be running over cops unlucky enough not to be in their cars

let's refrain from labeling all cops as "dirty" and just speculate about this specific cop, shall we?

can we just call them pigs? cuz then it's up to the readers imagination as to whether they're clean or dirty

btw is someone in your family a cop? it's just that you always seem to give them the benefit of the doubt

I'm with Tyguy on this. I don't have a cop in the family, nor am I friends with one.

Why generalize? There are assholes like this 'officer', abusing their power and trying to get away with it and there are cops who do their job properly.

Anyway, the cop should not only be fired, but also charged with assault.

^really.^

You only hear about the dick cops who do shit like this, you never hear about the good everyday cops.

no, no merit of honour badges are never given out by mayors in big lavish ceremoneis attended by the who's who of the city which is never broadcast on tv ..no that simply never happens

anyways I dont think we should be giving the police the benefit of the doubt just because they're police. they're just as capable as anyone else

I agree. Every police encounter I have ever had, the cop was extremely patient and understanding/nicer than he had to be.

no, no merit of honour badges are never given out by mayors in big lavish ceremoneis attended by the who's who of the city which is never broadcast on tv ..no that simply never happens

anyways I dont think we should be giving the police the benefit of the doubt just because they're police. they're just as capable as anyone else

When is the last time it made page 1? They'd rather put 'misuse of tazer' on front page, with a little snippet of 'hero cop'.

An to be honest, I rarely see that happen, and even when it does, it's not 'top of the story' on the news, it's usually a little 5 minute bit saying who's the guy and what he did then they move on.

All my encounters with police officers have been pleasant. I think many people see the large number... thousands and thousands of crooked cops, and judge the entire group based on the actions of those people.

Even though there are thousands and thousands of crooked cops... there are almost a million law enforcers in the United States alone.

When is the last time it made page 1? They'd rather put 'misuse of tazer' on front page, with a little snippet of 'hero cop'.

An to be honest, I rarely see that happen, and even when it does, it's not 'top of the story' on the news, it's usually a little 5 minute bit saying who's the guy and what he did then they move on.

shit attracts more flies than honey. saving the neighbourhood cat doesnt sell quite like tasering someone to death who's only crime was not speaking english

shit attracts more flies than honey. saving the neighbourhood cat doesnt sell quite like tasering someone to death who's only crime was not speaking english

Crime? Around these parts we call that a mortal sin my friend.

That's my point.

but why should a good deed share the same newspaper space as a bad deed? one is just doing what they're supposed to be doing: their job and the other isnt.

but why should a good deed share the same newspaper space as a bad deed? one is just doing what they're supposed to be doing: their job and the other isnt.

Right. So you're defending the media this time? You're defending the media which more frequently places stories of bad cops rather than good cops, to which you think that all cops are bad?

Stern, have you been biased by the media? Shit dude.

Right. So you're defending the media this time? You're defending the media which more frequently places stories of bad cops rather than good cops, to which you think that all cops are bad?

Stern, have you been biased by the media? Shit dude.

you didnt understand my point

the "good cops" are just doing their jobs

..it's like writing a story every single time a bus driver successfully makes a right turn versus writing a story about a bus driver who lost control of the bus while making a right turn and ran over a pedestrian

or writing a story about an airline pilot who takes off successfully versus a story where he crashes on take off killing everyone aboard

simply doing your job is NOT newsworthy ..unless it's under extraordinary circumstances

Back