Counter Strike: GO Hands on at PAX & Eurogamer Expo

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
[br]
According to Doug Lombardi, Valve will be showcasing Counter Strike: Global Offensive at PAX Prime in Seattle, this coming Friday 26th through to Sunday 28th. The version which will be on display will be the xbox 360 version.[br]There will also be a hands on at the Eurogamer Expo (22nd-25th September) but we will see the PS3 version here in London. Valve are gunning for CS:GO to be another cross-platform title after achieving this with Portal 2.

Maybe Microsoft are making some sort of deal with them to promote the 360 version a lot in exchange for the Steam-based cross-platform infecting their system?

I'm not sure, I do know that people attending these events will be given keys to access the CS:GO beta though. Yet again, platform...I don't know, I did assume PC and I hope that is the case.

Usually at gaming expos such as these two, the booths and units the game companies order accommodate consoles more easily for many reasons (controller mounts, console casing, fixed looping demos etc.) I would have preferred a PC version much more....I know I'll be playing BF3 on a console too :(

The version which will be on display will be the xbox 360 version.
siren.gif

In before dumbed down console version of a hardcore PC shooter.

-_- Looooombaaarrrddiiiiiiii...

Hands on and stuff wooooo, that's really-juicy-news, Doug!

*Yaaawn*

The Beta keys they are giving away are going to register on Steam.

Assuming that the gaming is cross platform, and that valve can do all their usual stats magic, I will be interested to see the outcome of mixed matches. My money is on a dramatically higher showing from PC gamers vs console gamers - I've said for years that a mouse/keyboard player will always beat a console controller gamer of the same skill level - will be interesting to find out if I was right.

I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed the CS port to Xbox, haha

I'm not sure, I do know that people attending these events will be given keys to access the CS:GO beta though. Yet again, platform...I don't know, I did assume PC and I hope that is the case.

Usually at gaming expos such as these two, the booths and units the game companies order accommodate consoles more easily for many reasons (controller mounts, console casing, fixed looping demos etc.) I would have preferred a PC version much more....I know I'll be playing BF3 on a console too :(
http://counterstrikego.com/2011/08/moving-forward-csgo-news-to-expect-in-coming-days-and-weeks/ ;)

Valve's official CSGO dev twitter has confirmed that the closed beta is PC only, thus why they are showing the console versions at PAX and Eurogamer. Everybody who visits the booth and plays a round of CSGO at either convention will get their hands on a key to the beta. The first round of screenshots will be released alongside their show at PAX this weekend, and it's possible we'll see gameplay videos as well. Anybody who is at PAX or Eurogamer can go to the CSGO booth and play... it is open to everyone in attendance, doesn't require a press pass or anything like that.

Next time link to my article :p especially since for the crossplatform news bit we were the first English news source to break it (roughly 5 hours before Shacknews!)

it's supposed to be cs: source for competitive gaming, not a remake, or a sequel.
the art direction looks pretty bad.

holy shit, the hud is taken from the xbox version of cs.

Looks terrible in my opinion. Reminds me more of Combat Arms than it does Counter Strike.

Just to round up some quick points. There're two modes, Casual and Competitive.

Casual:
Buy anything you like, money is free
Three minute games
All-talk over mics
You can spectate either team when you die
Match-making priorities your friends list

Competitive:
Money system like other CS games
Two minute games
Team-chat over mics
Only spectate your team when you die
Match-making priorities people of equal skill level

Match making doesn't take into account what platform you're playing on or your control method, just how well you play.

I looked at the actual gameplay videos and the graphics looked terrible for a 2011. 3 years ago they would be fine, but not today. The whole point of a remake is pretty much the graphics and they bombed that area. Source looks dated.

It's not coming out until 2012 so I expect it will look a lot different by then. The first L4D trailer was pretty terrible iirc.

Looks absolutely god awful. Sorry, can't put it any other way.

Console menus on the PC. :(
Valve has mentioned a few separate times that the console-ified menus are temporary and will most definitely be reworked / changed for the PC version. Thank god.

Back