Counter-Strike: Source Update In Beta - Available Now

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
<div align="center"></div>

[br]Valve has launched an extensive update to Counter-Strike: Source, now in beta. This update will include 144 achievements, lifetime player stats and summary screens and many source engine updates.

• 144 achievements added
  • New lifetime player stats and summary screens
  • New match player stats and summary screens
  • New end of round display with MVP and interesting fact about a player
  • Updated scoreboard with new icons, visual style, MVP stars, and avatar pictures
  • New cinematic death camera
  • New domination and revenge system
  • Added avatar icons to voice chat, scoreboard, and end of round display
  • Incorporated many source engine updates

This beta will run for a limited time, and once complete, the update will be deployed to all Counter-Strike: Source owners for free via Steam.[br]

You can install the beta by clicking here.[br]

Update: The beta is now full.

Haven't read much into this but will it be optional for server owners? I don't own a server nor do I play it anymore but I can see this being pretty annoying for competitive play.

I assume that various parts of it are controlled by server variables, but what exactly about this is "annoying for competitive play"? TF2 does pretty well competitively, and it has the exact same features.

I assume that various parts of it are controlled by server variables, but what exactly about this is "annoying for competitive play"? TF2 does pretty well competitively, and it has the exact same features.

Well TF2 and CSS are very different games competitively. In my experiences with the CSS community, most of the hardcore competitors don't like change.

It's not annoying for competition, it's annoying for the babies who get mad when their autistic gaming pattern has to change. Too bad for them. I'm embracing this update.

Are any of the achievements interesting. I remember when DOD got achievements and all it was was arbitrary kill 1000 with garand, kill 1000 with grenades, kill 500 with pistol or something ridiculous like that

Are any of the achievements interesting. I remember when DOD got achievements and all it was was arbitrary kill 1000 with garand, kill 1000 with grenades, kill 500 with pistol or something ridiculous like that

My favorite is:

Almost there - Sound like a 12 year old.

For those wonder who's working on the game, it's a studio called Hidden Path Entertainment. They have a great talent in their hands. Make sure you see their page:

http://www.hiddenpath.com/node/5

This is cool, I really like these types of multiplayer features in TF2 and there's no reason they shouldn't be in CS:S.

Ugh, website needs some attention.

Well TF2 and CSS are very different games competitively. In my experiences with the CSS community, most of the hardcore competitors don't like change.

The hardcore hardcore competitors play CS 1.6 :p

I thought the update was also supposed to move CSS onto the latest build of the Source Engine?

Heh, I got in!

It's pretty cool so far. The kill cam view thing is neat to see in CS. The chat text is so small though (on my resolution anyway) and I don't know how to change it.

I don't really notice any of the graphical improvements, they're pretty slight. Motion blurring is about the only thing (but it's very minimal), and a bit of HDR.

From a vid that I have just seen, it is at least the Orange Box build (dynamic shadows are in)

As for HDR; it was already in since it was updated with the Ep1 engine some time ago

Is there cinematic physics in de_inferno for the bomb explosion?

HDR was only in some maps, I thought. (dust, militia...)

The beta is alright. Nothing really special apart from clipping is ****ed at the moment so strafing is basically 100% accurate

I would like a list of achievements.
*points to signature*

the Achievements alone will pull me away from COD, BC2, and TF2

I don't really notice any of the graphical improvements, they're pretty slight. Motion blurring is about the only thing (but it's very minimal), and a bit of HDR.
Pretty sure apart from the move to the OB engine (with motionblur/multicore rendering), there are no graphical improvements. Not yet anyway.

Played it for a hour, this game is not for me.

it's been a long time since I played CS. now it's full of pro-players. there was a guy on server killed me like twenty times.

From that bug report thread it looks like moving to a new engine broke a lot of stuff. I guess they have their work cut out.

Wait, CS:S is still running?

Even with all the better choices out there for MP shooters?

Hmm.

cs 1.6 is still running. i'm sure most cs players consider the "better" mp shooters to consist of unneeded bloat.

of course... achievements is one of those...

it's been a long time since I played CS. now it's full of pro-players. there was a guy on server killed me like twenty times.

Yeah that was like me the other day; CS servers are full of grizzled 35 year old veterans with mustaches :p

Wait, CS:S is still running?

Even with all the better choices out there for MP shooters?

Hmm.
You'd be surprised. CSS, even with all its faults, is a game you can just pick up and play. No need to worry about other players being a higher rank, or having better weapons than you.
Also its simplicity game-wise is a big draw. No proning, everyone's relatively easy to see. De_dust2 is a very popular map because it's very sparse detail-wise. Good FPS and balanced gameplay.

Back