CS:S showcase in Seoul

N

nadomola

I came back from CS:S showcase in Seoul a few minutes ago. So far, it was a fair event with a little new stuffs to see, more frankly "Sourced" de_dust2, a match between two clans - which was ended as a deathmatch-style game that you can see in any pub server -, and, finally, a chance to play CS:S for myself.

There was no Q/A session or whatsoever between the people from Valve and the attendance except a boring say-Hi moment by three key persons from Valve at the early of the event. So far, Jeff Cliff was the only one who almost got a standing-ovation but there was actually no one stood up, somehow he got some applause from the attendance unlike other two dudes from valve, sorry dudes~.

After the match by two Korean clans, on already-well-revealed de_aztec and the fresh de_dust2 with Source-powered graphics, I luckily had a chance to play CS:S for a few minutes on de_aztec. My impression? I must say that it isn't really different from the way you would feel while you're playing current CS. New physics and graphics are obviously improved, but it wasn't really enough to make me shock in awe. As Jeff Cliff said a few days ago, for now, it's just a CS with a new engine;no try to be CS2.

The physics in CS:S seems to be a little exaggerated. For example, when you step on small objects like cans, they pop up 2 or 3 meters from the ground. Yeah, it looks cool and fresh and adds realism to the game but it looked like they are overreacted. It's too bad that no one in the two clans tried to do a boosting. Somehow, I guess, there's a restriction on the so-called boosting. I tried to step on a barrel for at least 1 or 1 1/2 second but it was in vain. If I was right, perhaps you wouldn't see the boosting any longer in CS:S, which might affect the strategy and tactics of current CS1.6.

The graphic, of course, is absolutely excellent. I think the new de_dust2 is the map that can show the real power of Source. I took some photos of the map but most of them were taken improperly due to the nature of CS; fast-paced action. The photo I linked below is the best one among them. I'm pretty sure that the screenshots with the better quality will be released soon. Consider it as a small teaser before you actually taste it. Oh, I should mention that the two nice-looking APCs are added at the CT's spawn of de_aztec.

http://myhome.hanafos.com/~dream111/de_korea/css_dust2.jpg

Overall, the playable version of CS:S I played today was just a game in develop. You can only choose one model from Terrorists and Counter-Terrorists. There is a missing weapon, automatic shotgun, and a missing animation I found out, the reloading animation of double berettas. If you use radio messages, you can't switch your weapons for some time like 10 seconds. Bunny-hopping seems to be harder or even impossible. The body falls with the same animation no matter where the bullets hit the body - this could be false. CS:S were run by PCs with x800 and fat spec, but they were not run smoothly sometimes. As a GeForce2gts user, this ain't a good news. Bah. I hope, and believe, the final version of CS:S will be polished completely without any bugs I found out today.

Consequently, I say today's CS:S playable version looks good. I can't call it an albatross, but it could be a birdie or an eagle. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed CS:S soon, hopefully this fall as Gave said.

ps. Cliff looked like a celebrity today. Girls were busy to take photo with him. omg~

Nice report, but I think you linked your picture incorrectly. I'll newspost it once you fix that shot :)

Hm..please try the link in CSnation. I originally posted it there and checked the link and it worked. Somehow it doesn't work here. Weird..-_-

EDIT: I fixed the link. Hope you can see it. :D

Nice post, glad someone was there :)

nadomola said:
Hm..please try the link in CSnation. I originally posted it there and checked the link and it worked. Somehow it doesn't work here. Weird..-_-

EDIT: I fixed the link. Hope you can see it. :D
That's better, thanks!

Still only movable objects has shadows like those barrels in that picture but the boxes don't have shadow at all. I really hope that they fix it or atleast make those boxes weight 100 tons so they will cast shadow but wont move.

Im worried that what you said about the uber comp you used to play CS:S with lagged.... I have a Ti4200.... :( I guess CS 1.6 is the way to go.

Glad to hear it still feels the same as CS, which is what most people want.

As for all those other bugs, that sounds odd, considering we saw the auto shotgun in the latest CS:S video, and it had a working model.

Just a few more things to add...Some of them could be false...So plz don't flame me. :p

1. You can see how many(and what kind) grenades a player has in spectate mode, but it's attached to the body with weird angle.

2. When you got flashbanged, you CANT shoot and hear noisy sound. It resembles the effect of Rainbow6:Raven Shield.

3. Water splash looks cool as you know, but its size is always same no matter what weapon(or bullet) you use to splash it up.

4. The delay of AWP seems to be shorter than that of CS1.6.

5. C4 doesn't disappear when it's defused.

6. If you jump down to the water from the high place, your ankles will be alright even with the new physics. Hm..-_-

That's all for now. :D

If they changed the shallow pool of water jumps, I'd kill everyone. I'm glad that's still in.

4. The delay of AWP seems to be shorter than that of CS1.6.
Oh Yeah!!! :bounce: :bounce:
5. C4 doesn't disappear when it's defused.
Nice!! :E
6. If you jump down to the water from the high place, your ankles will be alright even with the new physics. Hm..-_-
:|

BTW, 10x for the info!! :thumbs: oh, and nice pic of D2 :E

didnt i see the automatic shotgun model in the german cs source videos? sure its there on havana and cobble. thanks for the info so... dont think i like the idea of not being able to shoot while blind... not exactly "realistic"

nadomola, did they say anything about bot support? Doug said multiplayer only in he`s interview, but Cliffe said that the current plan was to add CS bot.

nadomola, great job! Sounds like more and more info about hl2 and cs:s are flowing! Release sounds pretty imminent(gold finish must be soon)

I sure hope they fix this stuff quickly, I want CS:S so bad lol.

^Thomas^ said:
nadomola, did they say anything about bot support? Doug said multiplayer only in he`s interview, but Cliffe said that the current plan was to add CS bot.

As I stated at the early of my post, the spectators including myself were not really provided with any official statement, announcement, or presentation from the Cliff and Co.

Actually, before the event I participated in, there was also a session which was restrictly open only to professional reporters and cyber cafe representatives. They might be told something that you'd like to hear; however, I myself am not a reporter nor a representative of a cyber-cafe, so I didn't hear anything about business.

You can find additional info(of course with screenshots and MOVIE files, too) at this link. This is a Korean website so please don't panic even if you see a new language. :)

http://narics.net/cs.source/showcase.php

PLZ DO NOT DIRECTLY LINK THE ADDRESS OF PHOTOS OR MOVIES IN THIS PAGE!!!
Please use the above link to spread out the information.

ps. In CS:S, you can stab or shoot bodies to "entertain". -_-

special thx goes to Seaofp of Narics. :D

Cool! Thank's a lot nadomola!

Cool Korean menu too =p

nadomola said:
You can find additional info(of course with screenshots and MOVIE files, too) at this link. This is a Korean website so please don't panic even if you see a new language. :)

Please use the above link to spread out the information.

ps. In CS:S, you can stab or shoot bodies to "entertain". -_-

special thx goes to Seaofp of Narics. :D

Hey, thanks for all the info and stuff, but do you think you could dirrect me to these screenshots and movies because i dont stand a chance of navigating there myself

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Hey, thanks for all the info and stuff, but do you think you could dirrect me to these screenshots and movies because i dont stand a chance of navigating there myself
They are all on the same page. Just click the link and scroll down a bit ;/ to me they load very slowly though (distance to server).

marksmanHL2 :) said:

They're on that very page he linked to.. lol

Wsh said:
(distance to server).

Distance usually doesn't matter as long as the server is fast and has a good connection.

nadomola said:
So far, Jeff Cliff was the only one who almost got a standing-ovation but there was actually no one stood up, somehow he got some applause from the attendance unlike other two dudes from valve, sorry dudes~.
ps. Cliff looked like a celebrity today. Girls were busy to take photo with him. omg~

I'm an idiot!

Why the hell do they have girls dancing at a counter-strike source exhibition?!

A|2SENIC said:
Why the hell do they have girls dancing at a counter-strike source exhibition?!

Why not!? :) Dancing girls are a welcome addition to anything

grecco_diego said:
where'r the movies to download =[

The bottom of the page here:

Edit:

nadomola, can you tell me if you can see your own shadow? I notice that the HLTV spectator can see the players shadow when they're in first person.. I take it you can see your own shadow when playing too? Check the attachment

Edit 2: nm, I can definitely see you can see your own shadow.. that's a welcome addition :)

These videos are awesome.. lol

Attachments

• shadow.JPG
    shadow.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 544
Its good to see its coming along nicely.. the've got a good month and a bit to finish it at least :)

excellent screenies... downloading the movies now..

Can you guys see? There are FPS slow downs in de_aztec. I hope it's optimized with patches (It takes time to fix everything)

Where is the exact link for the download. I'm trying to find it since 1 hour ago.

Those videos are tight, i cant wait to play the final version of cs:s.

cenmocay said:
download the videos ....how ?
They auto-played in my window, so I don't know if its possible to save em.

u can save them!! I did it!

btw, can I post a link 2 the vids??

EDIT :
nadomola said:

why can't I?? :\

Back