Cyclists piss off the wrong man.

taviow

Tank
Reaction score
This happened yesterday, in Porto Alegre, a city which is a few miles away from where I live.

Over 100 cyclists decided they should go cycling together at one of the busiest streets in the city, they occupied the entire width of the street and authorities were not informed of the event so there was nobody there to control it and keep things civilized. It was around 7pm so the streets were crowded, but the cyclists weren't letting anybody pass.

And so there was a guy who was asking for space to drive through because he was in a major hurry (as were most people in there I suppose), needless to say, they refused to let him pass. Not only that, they also offended the guy apparently.

This is how he responded to it.

Another video.

As far as I know the group of cyclists were promoting alternate means of transportation and peace or something.

The car has been abandoned and the driver has not yet been found, lots of people injured badly/near death. I haven't heard of any confirmed deaths yet, I'll post updates later on.

Jesus christ that is horrifying. When I first read "this is how he responded to it" I though to myself "heh, wouldn't it be crazy if he just rammed through all of them, but there's no way that's what actually happened"

Then I watched the video :l

Jesus christ that is horrifying. When I first read "this is how he responded to it" I though to myself "heh, wouldn't it be crazy if he just rammed through all of them, but there's no way that's what actually happened"

Then I watched the video :l

I LOL'd. I'm going to hell.

Those cyclists are a bunch of asshats but dear god that is just intolerably horrific.

Jesus. Those cyclists were just having a peaceful protest (albeit not condoned and in a stupid, annoying way).

Then that guy goes through at full pelt - not even at a slow, steady speed so people could get out the way. Just ****ing full pelt.

Unbelievable. It'll be taken off youtube pretty soon I bet.

Holy shit.

That's terrible and everything but those cyclists are still pretentious assholes.

I hope that driver gets charged with and convicted of multiple counts of attempted murder.

Nobody that mentally unstable should be driving a car.

Cars suck, I agree with them.

Says the Dutchman.

bicycles.jpg

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has played out the above video in his head 1000 times when stuck behind a bunch of slow cyclists / pedestrians that won't move over. Luckily the adult part of my brain never allows me to do it. I got stuck behind 6 assholes on bmxs once, they were taking up the whole road and goading the traffic behind. That's the closest moment in my life to killing someone.

Still, I don't thing I could get that wound up that I would actually do that!

Woah. The cyclists were being asses but that guy really screwed up.

Anyone who didn't see that coming has way too much faith in humanity. I mean, seriously, what the **** do you expect to happen? When I go the speed limit on the highway people get pissed at me and dangerously swerve into other lanes to pass me. When you block entire city streets, leaving no place for anybody to pass you, even when they ask, and then you insult people who get mad at you, I think its pretty ****ing obvious that someones going to snap and just brute force their way through the crowd. They didn't get protection by alerting the police of their protest, they didn't publicly announce it ahead of time, allowing people to adjust travel plans to accommodate, they just show up with the sole intent of ****ing up everybody's day, making everybody late for anything they need to be attending. I can't even feel sympathy for them, they just so ****ing stupid.

Even the presentation of their "message" was stupid. "Lets show people how stupid their cars are, and how much better bikes are, by crowding the street with bikes, making everybody only go as fast as we are going! When they see how viable our slow ass pace is for every day commutes they'll ditch their stupid cars!" Then add in the fact that one crazy dude nearly killed like 40 people on bikes because they have no ****ing protection whatsoever, and how it couldn't have happened if they were all in cars or buses, you've got a message that not only fails to persuade, but in facts promotes the opposite of what they want.

No sympathy for me. No sympathy for the crazy guy either, but still no sympathy for the idiots.

Dogs are always car proponents. They love sticking their heads out the windows. You can't stick your head out the window on a bike.

Even though this protest was really lame, about as legit as a flash mob, there should have been a humane solution then possibly ending lives. No one deserves that.

Did anyone die from that? Going at that speed from behind could seriously damage someone's spinal cord.

And I blame the cyclist as much as I blame the driver. Come on, pressure is so ridiculously high in today's society. EVERYONE is busy, with work, with everything. I mean if you block off the entire street and refuse to let a guy go pass, it's only natural that someone will eventually blow up and go nuts. The fact that the cyclists were deliberately pissing him off definitely made things worse.

I mean if you were late for work, a bunch of cyclists in front refuse to let you pass, then they start insulting you. That will make a lot of people blow up. These cyclists are just unlucky the guy behind the wheel chose to run over them instead of getting out the car and punching every cyclists he sees.

(CBS) - Nine bicyclists in a Critical Mass ride event in Porto Alegre, Brazil, were injured after a driver in a VW Golf car drove into the group at high-speed. According to Sky News, the driver of the car, 47-year-old Richard Neis, has been apprehended by police and is claiming self-defense after being threatened by some of the cyclists.

Critical Mass, a world-wide bike protest that typically occurs on the last Friday of each month, has had similar incidents of aggression occur in the past to some of it bikers. One of the most famous incidents occurred in 2008 when an officer with the NYPD, Patrick Pogan, was caught-on-camera shoving a protester from his bicycle, leading to a large public outcry and investigation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504784_162-20037322-10391705.html?tag=cbsnewsTwoColUpperPromoArea

That's the result of having no proper facilities for using a bicycle. They use far less space than those retarded 4-wheel thingies.

Yes I totally agree. I really admire the use of bikes you guys have. If there were proper cycle lanes where this happened, like in Holland, this would never needed to have taken place.

Bikes can't replace cars for longer journeys, but providing the facilities, such as lanes and parks, will encourage those travelling shorter distances each day to switch.

And the fact is, these people were using roads, made for cars, to **** up people's day. This wasn't even a protest for better facilities, as far as I can see.

I still can't condone what the car driver did. The fact he abandoned his car suggests whatever he was so desperate to get to wasn't all that important in the great scale of things.

They do this shit every goddamn month? I'm glad I don't live in a place with that shit.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has played out the above video in his head 1000 times when stuck behind a bunch of slow cyclists / pedestrians that won't move over. Luckily the adult part of my brain never allows me to do it. I got stuck behind 6 assholes on bmxs once, they were taking up the whole road and goading the traffic behind. That's the closest moment in my life to killing someone.

Still, I don't thing I could get that wound up that I would actually do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_YFmzPPCQ

Why do people hate bicycles so much? Sure, these cyclists were assholes, but bicycles in general are awesome. If more people used them, maybe modern cities wouldn't be such a drag to live in.

Motorists hate bicyclists because they tend to unwittingly or even wittingly put themselves into dangerous interactions with autos, e.g. blind spots and car lanes. Yes, public motorways ought to make more accommodations to allow safe travel, but when bicyclists cope with their inconveniences they oftentimes put themselves in danger.

And then it's our fault when there's a collision. So there's that too.

Good job buddy. Once you're found, the least of your problems will be being ****ing late.

"The driver was later identified as 47-year old Ricardo José Neis. After Neis was taken into custody by police, his attorney, Luis Fernando Coimbra Albino, stated that the driver was acting in self-defense after several cyclists threatened him and his son and assaulted his car."

What a ****ing dick nose. If you felt threatened, reverse the ****ing car, don't intentionally plow through potentially hundreds of people. Also, seems like total bullshit on the threatening aspect.

Anyone who didn't see that coming has way too much faith in humanity. I mean, seriously, what the **** do you expect to happen? When I go the speed limit on the highway people get pissed at me and dangerously swerve into other lanes to pass me. When you block entire city streets, leaving no place for anybody to pass you, even when they ask, and then you insult people who get mad at you, I think its pretty ****ing obvious that someones going to snap and just brute force their way through the crowd. They didn't get protection by alerting the police of their protest, they didn't publicly announce it ahead of time, allowing people to adjust travel plans to accommodate, they just show up with the sole intent of ****ing up everybody's day, making everybody late for anything they need to be attending. I can't even feel sympathy for them, they just so ****ing stupid.

Even the presentation of their "message" was stupid. "Lets show people how stupid their cars are, and how much better bikes are, by crowding the street with bikes, making everybody only go as fast as we are going! When they see how viable our slow ass pace is for every day commutes they'll ditch their stupid cars!" Then add in the fact that one crazy dude nearly killed like 40 people on bikes because they have no ****ing protection whatsoever, and how it couldn't have happened if they were all in cars or buses, you've got a message that not only fails to persuade, but in facts promotes the opposite of what they want.

No sympathy for me. No sympathy for the crazy guy either, but still no sympathy for the idiots.

This.

Why do people hate bicycles so much? Sure, these cyclists were assholes, but bicycles in general are awesome. If more people used them, maybe modern cities wouldn't be such a drag to live in.

Bicycles are such a middle ground vehicle. Pedestrians hate them on sidewalks because they're faster and take up more room, so bicyclists are weaving around walkers or making the walkers have to constantly move out of the way of the bicyclists.

So they ride in the streets and make drivers hate them because they're slower than cars and take up part of a lane so the cars have to slow down and wait to pass them. I agree it would be nice to have bike only roads/trails/lanes/whatever, but it's not something real feasible unless you plan it from the start.

The problem is drivers feel like they have a right to 100% of the road, which is wrong. Every bicycle on the street has all the rights and is subject to all the same laws as a driver; even bicycling while drunk is illegal. However, there are roads/highways that are off-limits to bicycles.

What's weird to me is if this same driver had come across some sort of 'larger' obstacle that created a similar situation. For example, a wide-load truck, he wouldn't have tried to ram the truck off the road. But because his obstacle was people on pieces of aluminum he figured his mighty car could take them and plowed them all over, and for that I hope he rots in jail.

edit: and I forgot to say I'm not necessarily defending the bicyclists, what they were doing was illegal. My point was the angry driver should have called the police to come and arrest/fine/whatever the bicyclists for blocking traffic.

I can't stand those cyclists who bike 2 or three astride and block the road.

Luckily though not as many people injured as I thought there would be (nobody dead), considering what the guy did. The link Krynn posted says nine people injured but I've been hearing about twelve people. I dunno.

UPDATE:

Yeah, as other people said, the guy has been identified as 47 year old banker, Ricardo Neis. According to his son, 15 year old, who was in the car, the argument was pretty heated and eventually the cyclists started hitting his car. The driver says they were trying to flip his car too. He'll plead self defense as the reason he ran over everybody.

"He felt cornered and acted to protect his son that was in the car" - says his lawyer Luís Fernando Coimbra Albino.

Anyway I understand how dumb the cyclists were, but there were families and children in there. Nasty.

Holy Jesus Tit Cinnamon. :/ That video is horrible.

I was worried about stating what I was really thinking, expecting to get assaulted with people who feel superior to me morally...but...Thanks for saying what I can't, Krynn.

I do have sympathy for the cyclists. Mostly because I wager a lot of the ones that got ploughed through weren't causing any trouble/assualting cars/condoning pissing people off.

Sure it's stupid of them to not organise something like this properly.

It's also stupid to run people over.

I do have sympathy for the cyclists. Mostly because I wager a lot of the ones that got ploughed through weren't causing any trouble/assualting cars/condoning pissing people off.

Sure it's stupid of them to not organise something like this properly.

It's also stupid to run people over.

And there ya go. Do something stupid and you can get burned. Both parties are ****ing idiots.

Seriously, you guys will white-knight anything, won't you?

And there ya go. Do something stupid and you can get burned. Both parties are ****ing idiots.

Stupid oughtta hurt. I really don't feel bad for the cyclists since they seem to have forgotten that momentum is momentum, and there is no arguing with a couple tons of a metal moving at speed.

You guys disappoint me.

The cyclists message may be dumb, but that shouldn't ****ing invite being run down by a psychopath. I agree with PvtRyan here.

This "they deserved what they got" mentality is stupid.

I'm not going to take sides here, just going to go ahead and say both sides weren't thinking.

You guys disappoint me.

The cyclists message may be dumb, but that shouldn't ****ing invite being run down by a psychopath. I agree with PvtRyan here.

This "they deserved what they got" mentality is stupid.

They didn't deserve it, but they probably should've expected it.

Back