Dear Esther: First Trailer

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
The first trailer for the commercial adaptation of Dear Esther is online and, surprise, it looks beautiful.
[br]

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D7VJ4lP-05A?rel=0" frame allowfullscreen></iframe>​
[br]
Dear Esther was first released as a free Source mod in 2009 and it was well received by the community mostly for its quality narrative. The object in the game is to explore and search for clues that tell a story about the deserted island that you've managed to end up on.
[br]
Edge Magazine has apparently released their review of the new game, giving it an 8/10.
[br]
You can read more about Dear Esther at the official blog. There's now also a page for it on the Steam Store.
[br]
Dear Esther is scheduled to release on February 14th.

Pumped! Buying at full price to support the devs.

Genuinely can't wait, I have such respect for the chinese room and the incredible things they do with Source. I remember seeing the blue hue glow in that cave with the stalactites about a year ago and being blown away, even after all this time it still took my breath away.

yeah this looks pretty fantastic. eagerly awaiting the mac version, or i'll play it on my housemates pc maybe. either way, stoked.

I'll just show this trailer to anyone who thinks the Source engine is past its prime.

Awesome, only found out about and played the mod last year. Really liked it. Will definitely put this on my wishlist to play... sometime.

I played the mod, but after seeing that video, I really want to play it again. Will buy at full price to support these lovely dewds.

Looking at those visuals, I have no idea why Valve hasn't implemented most of the stuff seen in that trailer. Valve is getting lazy in the graphics department.

Looks fantastic, makes the Source engine almost look as good as Frostbite 2 and Cry Engine 3.

Valve is getting lazy in the graphics department.

Haha, what a joker!
ksZTF.gif

Compare Portal 2, to Dear Esther. It doesn't have half the graphical effects in it, which Portal 2 does not.

Added this to my wishlist last night when I found it on the Steam 'coming soon' tab... sooo can't wait. Loved the mod.

I loved Dear Esther and Korsakovia. I'd buy this double price, if I had to. Just those little soundbites of soliloquy sounded ****ing incredible.

I'm in.

Related - do you think Valve is spending this time re-writing their engine, or will they use it to this extent for HL3?

Woow is that source :eek: that's amazing stuff. Valve is getting lazy in the graphics department.

Back