Disturbing thread of the day: Sad bronies and their pony girlfriends

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a brony club in your school?

That makes me not want to have children.

There's a brony club at my university too. I don't have anything against bronies, assuming most just like watching the show. The photo-shopped pics are weird but I'll give them benefit of the doubt that the majority don't do that, or are not doing it seriously. I don't really see a reason for the general brony hate.

Disclaimer: I've watched and enjoyed the show but would not call myself a brony since I'm not at all obsessed with it, as in I couldn't point out minor characters or recall specific plot points, have no desire to buy MLP merchandise, etc.

The photo-shopped pics are weird but I'll give them benefit of the doubt that the majority don't do that, or are not doing it seriously. I don't really see a reason for the general brony hate.
Its hard not to hate when you have this stuff going on.
1354169576305.jpg

xHqjK.jpg

Eh that's pretty sad. My only exposure to brony culture has been that Equestria Daily site which doesn't have any of this stuff on it, just regular clean fanart; assumed that was mostly all there was to it. Realistically I still think the majority of the fanbase is normal enough... just like I wouldn't have assumed that all/most of reddit's users participated in their jailbait section (which I didn't even realize existed until recently, not ever going on reddit).

I actually said that same sentence under my breath in reaction to Krynn's last post just now.

Playing devil's advocate here (for some reason I can never keep myself from being contentious on this forum) -- technically juxtaposition is a legitimate technique. The fact that it worked on someone is not that surprising. I recall this: hear Episode 1, 11:12 to 15:40, including the discussion. (Obviously the music is classier than a pony but the connection should be obvious.) I don't like either the photoshop or the music, but I'm not going to freak out about the pony any more than I would about the song. Sure the pony is stupider but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.

Playing devil's advocate here (for some reason I can never keep myself from being contentious on this forum) -- technically juxtaposition is a legitimate technique. The fact that it worked on someone is not that surprising. I recall this: hear Episode 1, 11:12 to 15:40, including the discussion. (Obviously the music is classier than a pony but the connection should be obvious.) I don't like either the photoshop or the music, but I'm not going to freak out about the pony any more than I would about the song. Sure the pony is stupider but in the grand scheme of things it's not that big a deal.
Juxtaposition itself is fine, but requiring the juxtaposition of humanity with fictional fantasy animated creatures in order for one human to feel compassion for another is pretty ****ed up.

Its hard not to hate when you have this stuff going on.
1354169576305.jpg

xHqjK.jpg

The unadulterated rage I feel for these people was only moderated by the fact that they would not procreate. That fantasy is now shattered and I am left with nothing but pure hatred.

The unadulterated rage I feel for these people was only moderated by the fact that they would not procreate. That fantasy is now shattered and I am left with nothing but pure hatred.
yawn

Oh c'mon, at this point I have to assume people are so "enraged" at least in large part due to the threatening of gender norms by guys that watch a "girl's" cartoon, rather than any meaningful reason. Contrast: many people on this very forum defended the dude who ran the jailbait stuff and spent his evenings looking up and posting pics of real-life underage girls, which falls in genuinely murky moral water (why would that be more defensible than liking a pony cartoon? because being a pervert/womanizer is a "normal" guy thing to do?). But you find one photoshop of a pony not doing anything bad or controversial (I mean, the pony was appropriately sad in that pic), and *one* person comments that after being desensitized to looking at sad photos every day for their studies, the pony happened to draw their attention -- and then it's "OH NO ponies look at how despicable these people are."

There are plenty of other ways that people are dumb/weird/nerds. Being a brony is not that much worse.

Bronies aren't the victims of bigotry.

It has nothing to do with gender norms or morals, and everything to do with obsession levels that make me wonder how they even function in mixed company.

Also it confuses me that you put bronies in the same context as sexual minorities. If a group that is obsessed with the characters in a particular cartoon show can legitimately be placed interchangeably in a paragraph defending a group from the LGBTetc. members, then I really need to re-think ... everything.

EDIT: Sorry for the ninja-edit. I realized I wasn't done.

Umm, we've been hanging out on a forum for a game that came out 8 years ago....

Arguably this is for "community" (I say morelike boredom)
Arguably the brony thing seems to be for community as well, not necessarily pony-love.

[edit] I wasn't saying bronies are the same as sexual minorities. I was saying that some people seem to judge others more harshly for relatively innocuous things (liking a tv show) while simultaneously, or perhaps due to short-term memory (or perhaps due to underlying stereotypes of "normalcy"), letting people off the hook for posting pics of underage girls.

Fair enough. I'm still not allowing the people who are the example cases posted in this thread permission to play the "victim of oppression" card.

You're all a shining example of autism and I deem this thread closed under the Foundation of United Conversation and Knowledge.

They have no authority here; I only answer to the Tribunal Against Ninny Equestriophiles.

Click me so I can get out of this f*cking thread jesus christ I've been here for like an hour trying to understand this and I can't I just can't.

Oh c'mon, at this point I have to assume people are so "enraged" at least in large part due to the threatening of gender norms by guys that watch a "girl's" cartoon, rather than any meaningful reason. Contrast: many people on this very forum defended the dude who ran the jailbait stuff and spent his evenings looking up and posting pics of real-life underage girls, which falls in genuinely murky moral water (why would that be more defensible than liking a pony cartoon? because being a pervert/womanizer is a "normal" guy thing to do?). But you find one photoshop of a pony not doing anything bad or controversial (I mean, the pony was appropriately sad in that pic), and *one* person comments that after being desensitized to looking at sad photos every day for their studies, the pony happened to draw their attention -- and then it's "OH NO ponies look at how despicable these people are."

There are plenty of other ways that people are dumb/weird/nerds. Being a brony is not that much worse.

My irritation stems from the fact that people like this are not like /r/jailbait in one fundamental way: they don't shut the actual **** UP. They insist on bringing their stupid ****ing community of pederast pony lovers (I've seen more Rule 34 of ponies than I ever cared to) everywhere like some autist and his lucky ****ing lunchbox going to school. They show up ****ing everywhere irritating those of us who have no interest with their constant, shitty self-referencing humor. The classic example are the incessant pony threads on /b/ despite there being a whole damn section for it: /mlp/. They form entire ****ing clans and parade the fact that they like this shit around for all to see like it makes them unique. I hate furries and loudmouth /b/tards for the same reason: they don't know when to shut the **** up about their odd and frankly somewhat disturbing obsessions. It's like that one guy who's always talking about how he's a pilot at parties: once we know we don't want to hear about it constantly.

That's why I hate them. It's little to do with what they like so much as the manner in which they obsess about it in public. Have a waifu, MLP, or what-have-you by all means, ya pathetic ****s, but shut the **** up about it.

I also find the idea of inflicting a name like that on some child to be fundamentally selfish. "Oh, my parents named me for a television show about cartoon ponies that ended 7 (or 17, or 70) years ago." Yeah, how well you think that shit goes over in grade school? I can tell you right now that's inviting a child to be verbally abused all the pack of malicious shitheads we refer to as 'children.'

Hmm ok I'll give you that. I rarely see bronies in my regular internet perusal (mostly email, facebook, youtube, amazon, news sites, and here). Sometimes I'll see someone with a pony avatar but they don't mention mlp in the content of their post. I don't go to /b/. If they are taking over other sites, then yeah that's annoying. They just have virtually zero presence on any site that I personally visit.

I still contend the worst of the bunch are not the majority. Besides they've done decent things like make big collective donations on Humble Bundle (I think the donor list was the first time I learned what a "brony" was) which gives them some tangible value as a group.

Anyways, hopefully we can at least agree that Pinkamena is a better name than their friend's child, Optimus Prime. (Pinkamena is not the exact name of any pony as far as I know, and thus can be easily ignored/denied by the child as being pony-related). I know people named Annastassia, Natassja, Djuna, Daniar, Winky (not sure it was spelled Winky, that's just how it was pronounced)..... Pinkamena is a little worse but there are plenty of weird legit names (or weirdly spelled names that make people try to pronounce your name funny, not to mention "ass" being placed in names that traditionally don't have "ass" in them). Now if they'd named their baby Pinkass that would've been cruel. Pinkamena, eh, just say your parents wanted something kinda Russian sounding.

I mainly hate them because they got Numbers. They got him! Oh god! THEY GOT NUMBERS! OH GOD WHY NUMBERS WHYYYYY

Eh, I'm not really enraged / irritated by this Brony stuff.

I just agree with Stig in that the requirement of a small cartoon animal to be photoshopped into a historical document showing the tragedies of war in order to realise its horrors seems a little f*cked.

To each, their Brone.

This thread pretty accurately summarizes the current state of vt.net

I hate any subgroup which is so aggressively vocal and autistically obsessive. People who like MLP? Fine, go for it. People who IMPOSE MLP upon any and every discussion they come across both online and off? Pls no.

I find it odd that you have a problem with with how we're reacting to that sociopath of a history major. Wouldn't you take issue with someone who was unable to, for example, feel compassion for black people without having a sympathetic Alyx Vance composited onto a photo of 50's-era segregation riots? Would you not be disgusted?

xOP5M.jpg

behold, a bad example of rage-worthy brony influence

I find it odd that you have a problem with with how we're reacting to that sociopath of a history major. Wouldn't you take issue with someone who was unable to, for example, feel compassion for black people without having a sympathetic Alyx Vance composited onto a photo of 50's-era segregation riots? Would you not be disgusted?

"Sociopath"? Who said he has no compassion for people? I nearly cried the last time I visited a Holocaust museum. If I worked there and saw the same pictures every single day, I wouldn't cry every single day. That would be ridiculous. It doesn't mean I don't have compassion. Obviously I can't get in this guy's mind, maybe he doesn't have any compassion at all, but likely he just meant that having something added on the picture made him refocus on it. Again, the same could be said for any number of non-human photo emphases. I'm remembering a black and white picture of protestors and soldiers (I think) where only a flower was colored. Did you think, "I can't believe you need to emphasize a flower to make this picture more touching?" Or the red dress in Schindler's list. Clearly that was an effective way to make us care even more about that one little girl in a movie where horrible things were happening left and right, every minute. Are all of us sociopaths because a dress focused our attention? What about the pic of the dog lying next to his owner in a body bag? How many people were like "awww puppy" more than "oh man I feel so sad for this dead guy"?!?! Or Anarchopanda -- a PANDA SUIT makes people more sympathetic to your cause? Riot dog -- constant violence and oppression against people, and people focus on the dog?? Sociopaths, all of them!

why can't we all just get along??????????

the good, the bad, and the dog. but mostly the dog.

"Sociopath"? Who said he has no compassion for people? I nearly cried the last time I visited a Holocaust museum. If I worked there and saw the same pictures every single day, I wouldn't cry every single day. That would be ridiculous. It doesn't mean I don't have compassion. Obviously I can't get in this guy's mind, maybe he doesn't have any compassion at all, but likely he just meant that having something added on the picture made him refocus on it. Again, the same could be said for any number of non-human photo emphases. I'm remembering a black and white picture of protestors and soldiers (I think) where only a flower was colored. Did you think, "I can't believe you need to emphasize a flower to make this picture more touching?" Or the red dress in Schindler's list. Clearly that was an effective way to make us care even more about that one little girl in a movie where horrible things were happening left and right, every minute. Are all of us sociopaths because a dress focused our attention? What about the pic of the dog lying next to his owner in a body bag? How many people were like "awww puppy" more than "oh man I feel so sad for this dead guy"?!?! Or Anarchopanda -- a PANDA SUIT makes people more sympathetic to your cause? Riot dog -- constant violence and oppression against people, and people focus on the dog?? Sociopaths, all of them!

Did you even read the guy's comment? He takes specific exception to this stupid pony composite, noting how he has never "actually looked at what is really happening" in "hundreds of pictures like this".

"Putting Rainbow Dash in made me actually look at what is really happening."

Rainbow Dash made him feel compassion for those under Nazi rule for the first time. So yes, he's a sociopath. I'm not a particularly emotive person, but I don't need colour treatments and special effects (let alone a composite of Crystal Maiden from Dota 2) to recognise injustice and violence and feel something because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back