Do you like the royal family?

• yes, they're g-r-r-r-r-eat!

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • no, they're useless wankers!

Votes: 30 78.9%

• Total voters

JonTheCanuck

Reaction score
I'm not from the UK and i'm not trying to offend anyone who is, but honestly, do u really like the royal family? Whenever i see them i can't stand it. They do nothing but waste taxpayers money by sitting around all day and occassionally cutting a ribbon here and there. Also, yur constantly hearing about sex scandals and the two younger fellows r druggies or somethin. Its annoying how they're being kept around. Not to mention how the queen is obviously such a stuck up b!tch. Useless in my opinion lol.

i dunno...i need a cookie option...lol :bounce: there fine..i gues...i dont really care:borg:

I've never heard of them doing anything productive... but, then again, I don't live there sooooo all I *would* hear about is that pointless crap.

I've never heard of them doing anything productive... but, then again, I don't live there sooooo all I *would* hear about is that pointless crap

well said

Limey yuppies, they aren't royal in my book.

well other than a symble of national pride.....they are useless wankers that get far to much news coverage....

im sure some brits could enlighten us though

I live in England. I hate them. The eldest son is actually quite cool and he's not really interested in being prince/king. He likes to do "common" things and gets on well with a lot of people.

However, the adult Royal Family are a total waste of time.

Im british, Im not going to comment on what I think of the royal's, as I dont know them, and personally saying "Im not trying to offend anyone" then haveing the 2nd vote calling them useless w-ankers, IS offenceive, but as im not a royal (Unlike alot of people think, we are not all dukes and princess's) so I dont take it personally.. :dozey:

As for what they do, I would say not much, but im not expurt on the subject, most of all things that happan, are up to the goverment (House of Lords) but Im sure it goes past the queen at some point.

Crab your right, there a symble of natinal pride, but quite honestly, you can go shut up till you know them, mmk?

And for news coverage, how much of Britens news do you watch? I bet its not much, I dont mean world-news, I mean the news they show over here. The Royals hardly get any news coverage at all over here.

edit: D33, good point I guess, I dislike Williem(Sp?) purely for the fact he wants to be "common" but sure as hell dont mind when the camras are on him. Sue me I said I would not comment on them, but he is a poser, and a big one.

I don't live in the UK but having to pay money so some people who don't do anything can screw around, like JonTheCanuck said, is just... wrong.

Originally posted by ph34r t3h cute
As for what they do, I would say not much, but im not expurt on the subject, most of all things that happan, are up to the goverment (House of Lords) but Im sure it goes past the queen at some point.

Don't you mean House of Commons? I'm not British, so you're probably right, but I could've sworn HoC was the institution with real power.

Originally posted by MrMethane
Don't you mean House of Commons? I'm not British, so you're probably right, but I could've sworn HoC was the institution with real power.

Theres the House of lords and the house of commons.

And ghost get back in your cage, spammy git :cheers: (Yea, you got a cage now o_O..)

With Blair in control we're in the same boat as America, ie: atm we're a dictatorship.

Who really gives? All they do is make loads on dosh and go about makin headlines for twat-all, and have affairs and die and uuuum... who gives?

Crab your right, there a symble of natinal pride, but quite honestly, you can go shut up till you know them, mmk?

#1 kiss my ass :dozey: :cheese:

#2 not knowing somone has never stopped me from jokingly calling them a name.......

Only old people like the royals... anyone under 30 in the UK hates them with a passion! Give it another 30 years or so and we will be a republic....

/me crosses fingers

You see, the idea of having a queen/king isn't that bad. It gives a country a permanent representative face on the international scene. A president is only elected for a few years. I can imagine a dictator can have problems taking a leader seriously when he knows that annoying president won't be in office anyway over a few years. Now, even tho the queen of England doesn't have a political weight as big as Tony Blair's, I'm quite sure she would enjoy a lot more prestige and recognition was she ever to be invited by one of them tyrans. She has a bigger representative weight. It would be much harder for them to disrespect her. She's had England on her shoulders for her whole life after all. She's been there, done that.

I'm not a Britt btw, and I voted no.

im 14 and i like having them . i think all the scandals are funny , because of how pathetic they are.also they take all of the tourists away from manchester and over to london wich is a good thing . i hate tourists :p

I think the best thing that the royals do for this country (england) is to attract tourists. They make up for the money spent on them by attracting more tourists and bringing money into the country, but practically, they're pretty much useless.

The country needs to have a non-political figurehead, since if you have a president, you might disagree with thier views, so therefore a benign figurehead, is a good thing :)

I am English and my opinion is that I HATE THEM

But we should keep them for tourism cash anyway :)

Its all about the money. If it costs more to keep them, then I think we should scrap them. But they must earn us tonnes in tourism I guess.
Meh, whatever!

I hate them, what makes them better than us, the mere 'peasants'?

Also, you can't really call the Royals a national figure head - the house of Windsor has its origins in Germany, and Prince Phillip is Greek. Daily Mail = fan paper of the royals, yet they hate immigrants.....:dozey:

http://members.**********/~american_almanac/naziroot.htm might make for an interesting read ;)

The notion of monarchy is archaic and old fashioned, but simply because it is old doesn't necessarily mean it is without some merit. I don't think they really do any harm, and their presence does distiguish us from the majority of other countries. They cost to the nation is negligible given the income they generate through tourism both directly and indirectly.

Also I wish people would learn to gauge the use of the word hate. Hate is an extreme word, the antithesis of Love, neither of which should be used lightly. It get's bandied around far too easily in internet forums as a form of emotional emphasis, but all it does is make people sound like sugar fuelled 6 year olds. :dozey:

Originally posted by Kadayi Polokov
Also I wish people would learn to gauge the use of the word hate. Hate is an extreme word, the antithesis of Love, neither of which should be used lightly. It get's bandied around far too easily in internet forums as a form of emotional emphasis, but all it does is make people sound like sugar fuelled 6 year olds. :dozey:

Actually you'll find most people in this thread do use the term in the way it's meant. People hate, loath and totally dispise the Royal Family.

I think its good for our country to have a royal family. I think william should be next King. I dont like Charles. I know my way of thinking is differnt beccause im Christian but i think that the current Queen has done this country wlel and that the future rests with William.

By the way, the whole scandal thing is annoying. How man presidents have had scandals linked to them? How man primeministers? How man celebrities. Its not that the Royals are worse than anyone, its that they are targeted by the press. The media is always out to make people look bad...if tis good then its boring. Exhibit A: Cliff Richard. How often is he in the news? Never, hes to good.

Anyway, they should go...purly because i cant budget that 50p a year that taxpayers are apparently wasting. How much money is brought into the economy because of the Royals? A lot more...

Anyway...im going to watch stargate now so i wont say anymore, but i like havinga Royal family, i strongly believe thats done no end of good to keep Britian as a major power in the world.

Originally posted by D33
Actually you'll find most people in this thread do use the term in the way it's meant. People hate, loath and totally dispise the Royal Family.

If you 'hate' the royal family then what word will you use to describe the terrorist who shoots your children? I 'hate them more?' :dozey:

I can understand the idea of loathing of despising what someone has conciously become, but to despise them simply because of what they have been born into is rather narrow minded. It's a mental lapse akin to racism in it's blindness. I don't personally like capitalism, but I don't condemn those born into wealth. It is the system, not the people in it that one judges.

If you 'hate' the royal family then what word will you use to describe the terrorist who shoots your children? I 'hate them more?' :dozey:

A psychopath.

psy·cho·path ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-pth)
n.
A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

Dictionary.com is your friend. You'll find people can use "Royal Family" and "hate" together.

Originally posted by D33
A psychopath.

psy·cho·path ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk-pth)
n.
A person with an antisocial personality disorder, manifested in aggressive, perverted, criminal, or amoral behavior without empathy or remorse.

Dictionary.com is your friend. You'll find people can use "Royal Family" and "hate" together.

Wriggle all you want D33, but from where I'm standing I still have you on the ropes.:dozey:

If you're entire argument is based on the fact people can't use "hate" and "royal family" in the same line then it's seriously flawed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=8&q=hate
Take a look at the above url.

To feel dislike or distaste for: hates washing dishes.

If someone can "hate washing dishes" then they can hate the royal family.

Enough said really.

Originally posted by D33
If you're entire argument is based on the fact people can't use "hate" and "royal family" in the same line then it's seriously flawed.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=8&q=hate
Take a look at the above url.

If someone can "hate washing dishes" then they can hate the royal family.

Enough said really.

My actual point is nothing to do with the royal family, it is simply to do with the use of the word 'Hate':-

'Also I wish people would learn to gauge the use of the word hate. Hate is an extreme word, the antithesis of Love, neither of which should be used lightly. It get's bandied around far too easily in internet forums as a form of emotional emphasis, but all it does is make people sound like sugar fuelled 6 year olds.'

To hate an act you might perform such as washing up is a far cry from hating an individual for no reason beyond their station. I'm surprised you are unable to distiguish between the two? :eek:

Perhaps 'hate' has developed a different cannotation than that of being this 'antithesis of love'... in which case the word is being used properly to convey one's thoughts.

Originally posted by Letters
Perhaps 'hate' has developed a different cannotation than that of being this 'antithesis of love'... in which case the word is being used properly to convey one's thoughts.

If you belittle one, so you belittle the other. Debasement is never one sided.

If you belittle one, so you belittle the other. Debasement is never one sided.
I have no idea what you just said. :bounce:

Back