EMT Status

Kakashi

Spy
Reaction score
Probably does not matter much to you guys, but after 6 months of hard work, and difficult practicals yesterday, I finally made it to becoming a Maryland State EMT-B.

I started a thread a long way back in July of 2008 about just starting and having interest in FIRE/EMS work. I've now been affiliated with a local Rescue Squad for about year and a half now and love it. I've been on hundreds of calls, and a few rough calls that I will probably remember always.

Just wondering again this time around if anyone else here is with Fire/EMS? I'm always willing to tell a few stories too if anyone is interested ha.

1. Congratulations. It is always nice to see hard work rewarded. :D

2. Whatis: EMT? EMS? FIRE? I guess they're emergency services, but are you like a fireman or something? :eek:

I'm an Emergency Medical Technician, I ride both ambulances and medic units responding to all types of 911 emergencies. Here in my county the EMS system is merged with the fire department. I plan to take fire classes sooner or later down the road which will make me a Firefighter/EMT.

I love the job, its very rewarding.

You are a hero now. And I'm not even making a joke. Congratulations on passing your practicals.

Congratulations dude. People doing what you do are definitely an extremely valuable part of society.

I could never find myself in that line of work though. I have the heart for it, but not the stomach. I bet you've seen some disturbing shit.

I'm an Emergency Medical Technician, I ride both ambulances and medic units responding to all types of 911 emergencies. Here in my county the EMS system is merged with the fire department. I plan to take fire classes sooner or later down the road which will make me a Firefighter/EMT.

I love the job, its very rewarding.

Coool. :p

It must be fun. (Ok, maybe not 'fun', but exciting.) So, are you a paramedic/fireman hybrid guy? Or do you handle the equipment of emergency vehicles? I think it's a cool job regardless, and I like how you contribute to your community, being a productive member and helping save lives and all that. :E

Must be a hard job though.

Coool. :p

It must be fun. (Ok, maybe not 'fun', but exciting.) So, are you a paramedic/fireman hybrid guy? Or do you handle the equipment of emergency vehicles? I think it's a cool job regardless, and I like how you contribute to your community, being a productive member and helping save lives and all that. :E

Must be a hard job though.

I'm an EMT-Basic, there are three ranks of EMT. EMT-I (Intermediate) & EMT-P (Paramedic) which is the highest rank. I'm the guy in the back of the ambulance providing pre-hospital care to patients.

But it is a fun, exciting job. I always get to see interesting, and sometimes sad things, but in the end of the day it's rewarding. Thanks everyone!

Grats medical ninja! What's your pay?

Thanks guys, right now I'm just a volunteer EMT with the fire service, but hoping to get hired by either a ER at a hospital or private ambulance company. Now with EMT certification I can work at a few odd places and take up odd jobs, such as working at an amusement park, special events, sporting events, etc. But most EMT's in my area get paid between $12-18 an hour, it's an okay pay for the things we do, but always worth it.

But for right now I'm sticking with volunteering with the county till I gain more experience.

That's awesome, congrats! Save a lot of lives mmk

Congrats on passing EMT-B. I'm taking a class through my university to get my EMT-B. We just finished Patient Assessments and recently started Pharmacology. I'm majoring in IT, but absolutely love what I'm learning in EMT class.

Congrats on passing EMT-B. I'm taking a class through my university to get my EMT-B. We just finished Patient Assessments and recently started Pharmacology. I'm majoring in IT, but absolutely love what I'm learning in EMT class.

Awesome, it's all about ABC's, SAMPLE, and OPQRST. Luckily by taking it through the county as a volunteer, EMT-B was free at the fire academy. Where are you studying?

Honestly I don't really know what I want to do. :p Im in school for IT/Networking degree, but I also am interested in Emergency Medicine. I really want to work for an EMS service this summer on break and see how I like it. If it works out well I might do a drastic career change and go for EMT-P. Law enforcement also tickles my fancy too; being a former Marine I also have aspirations doing tactical/SWAT type of work. I figured being an EMT would also look good on a resume for that type of job.

Honestly I don't really know what I want to do. :p Im in school for IT/Networking degree, but I also am interested in Emergency Medicine. I really want to work for an EMS service this summer on break and see how I like it. If it works out well I might do a drastic career change and go for EMT-P. Law enforcement also tickles my fancy too; being a former Marine I also have aspirations doing tactical/SWAT type of work. I figured being an EMT would also look good on a resume for that type of job.

If you have any volunteer departments in your area, go for it. Get a taste for it and see if you like it. I've been doing it for a year and a half now, and I love every moment of it.

Congratulations man. Having a job where you can make a difference... thats what I aspire to do as well. Hope everything goes well for you :)

I have been involved with the EMS industry loosely over the past couple years. I worked with a guy in California who basically invented the concept of Electronic Patient Care Records (ePCR) for EMS. Do you have to use an ePCR application, typically on a tablet PC that you record all of the statistics about a given ambulance call? Vital stats, medications, chief/secondary complaints, procedures/treatments, etc.

Siren%203.jpg

We started using ePCR's back in August of 2009 on the Panasonic Toughbook. I love them, they make life so much easier. There's just so much you can do with them, such as importing vitals from the lifepacks, vehicle/body diagrams, they work very well. We haven't had a problem with them yet (other then people not leaving them in the charging docks sometimes).

Well played! :D I've just recently been offered an interview for the fire service once the application process finishes, only part time for the moment but figures crossed :)

Well played! :D I've just recently been offered an interview for the fire service once the application process finishes, only part time for the moment but figures crossed :)

Action figures? :D

I work as a paramedic. Good job on the EMT-B, takes balls to keep at it.

Back