Engineer Update Released (Including New Weapon - The Gunslinger)

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
That's all 100 golden wrenches dropped triggering the final reveal of the engineer update. The new weapon is a replacement for the wrench, a mechanical hand which every third hit on an enemy always crits.[br]It seems this replacement is able to build a new type of sentry: The combat mini sentry. These cost 100 metal, build 4x quicker and deploy with full health. You cannot repair or upgrade them & they only do half the damage compared to a normal level 1.[br]

[br]
[br]Also fully featured now is a new payload map called Thunder Mountain. It seems the payload will be going upwards as well as forwards. New maps: pl_upwards & plr_hightower (official) and cp_coldfront (community made) are also part of this update.[br]The update is now live so go play and give us your thoughts!

Schaweet! This really a nice variety of weapon unlocks.

It's not something i would want to masturbate with though.

There is a new main menu theme (it's the music from Meet the Engineer, but longer, and nicer).

Deals half a normal sentry's damage? Half of a level 1 might stop a wounded scout or spy, but it seems like it'd be more of an annoyance (to the opposing team).

Also just incase you didn't notice the ability to move existing buildings has been added too. It's a feature for the normal wrench. It's as simple as using mouse 2. You are slowed down while carrying the building, you cannot change weapons. Once redeployed they building is level 1 again but upgrades to the previous level (2 or 3) after the few seconds it takes for the animations to play.

Very handy!

I'll have to get involved with this update tommorow, but that mechanical hand looks sweet. The mini sentry gun looks to be for deploying quickly in a chaotic area where the enemy team is fast advancing, then being able to retreat and deploy another one in a different position. This should be an interesting device for the Engy, can't wait to try it out once I happen upon it.

and boom goes the steam servers

EDIT: I read you can have multiple mini sentries. Wonder if that's true...

I wish Valve would release all of the main menu music as a sort of soundtrack package or something. :(

72926542.jpg

[br]
Daddy?

[br]

To be honest the Frontier Justice is the only unlock I can see still being useful after the dust settles in a couple of weeks. The Gunslinger's "mini-sentry" is just flat out useless, if you could build two of them it might be more worthwhile. As for the Wrangler I'm not so sure the gimmick of being able to aim my sentry is worth giving up the pistol for, plus if the issue is people at a distance, just pick up the sentry and move it.

Overall though the update is phenomenal, the three new maps are outstanding and while I have my reservations about the usefulness of the unlocks, they are varied and potentially open up interesting new play styles for the Engineer. I'm still some what disappointed that there wasn't a "Meet the" video but it is still an excellent update, and one of the best by far.

mini sentry seems pointless. Most classes can just stand in front of it and destroy it without taking much damage.

I have mixed feelings about this update - The new weapons' gameplay styles probably make the game unnecessarily complex.

looks very good, but mini sentry? I mean seriously, what the hell???

the mini sentry isn't supposed to go past level 1, that pic is an exploit.

Finally, we're getting to the exploits!

I haven't been the same since i cant build a dispenser as spy anymore :(

You can build a level 3 sentry and a mini sentry.

The redeployment of sentry needs some serious nerfing.

During the redeployment period (which is not very long), very few classes are capable of destroying the sentry in time, especially when it is a level 3 sentry. You could literally run into an engineer carrying a sentry along the hallway , and still be killed by the sentry if the engineer hides behind the sentry and continues to repair it whiles it redeploys.

Redeployment should cost metal or at least require a bit more time. If you consider the fact that there are other classes running around, attempting to destroy a redeploying sentry becomes incredibly difficult. Just today, during a push, two engineers redeployed their sentries behind a medic and heavy. The heavy shielded the sentries from the rockets, and anything that did get through (like the sticky bombs), were immediately repaired by the two engineers. By the time the heavy was killed, the sentries finished off anything left on defense.

Also, the Spy as a class is getting weaker every update. They should increase the cloaking period, since now the engineers are an even harder target for spies.

Redeploying and then using the Wrangler must be pretty impressive.

I don't think the idea behind the Mini-Sentry is to last very long. Of course you could stand in front of it and destroy it, but it only takes 2.5s to deploy, and the engineer has extra health to finish you off with.

Personally I'd like to try the Wrangler out.

I hate the lack of Internet. 2 weeks which happen to overlap with the update. Annoying.

The point of the mini sentry is to synergize with the abilities of Frontier Justice. I can see a fast engineer just raping with these. It being only 100 metal and building 4x as fast is amazing. AND 25 more health just for cake. Once it gets back to normal, this is going to be ridiculously annoying. And I'm going to love it.

I'm confused... what was the whole Engie comic eluding to with the "life extender machine?"

I figured that would be part of the update...

The point of the mini sentry is to synergize with the abilities of Frontier Justice. I can see a fast engineer just raping with these. It being only 100 metal and building 4x as fast is amazing. AND 25 more health just for cake. Once it gets back to normal, this is going to be ridiculously annoying. And I'm going to love it.

Well the Sentry has to kill for frontier justice to be of any use.

So far, Valve hasn't done a good job with the Engineer balance. I was about to destroy a level 3 sentry, but the Engineer packed it up and ran off with it, then immediately redeployed it behind some cover before raping a heavy with the wrangler.

I say a nerf by next week.

I think that all VALVe'd need to do is make it so it takes two-to-three seconds to pick up a sentry and during that time it's deactivated.

The redeployment of sentry needs some serious nerfing.

During the redeployment period (which is not very long), very few classes are capable of destroying the sentry in time, especially when it is a level 3 sentry. You could literally run into an engineer carrying a sentry along the hallway , and still be killed by the sentry if the engineer hides behind the sentry and continues to repair it whiles it redeploys.

Redeployment should cost metal or at least require a bit more time. If you consider the fact that there are other classes running around, attempting to destroy a redeploying sentry becomes incredibly difficult. Just today, during a push, two engineers redeployed their sentries behind a medic and heavy. The heavy shielded the sentries from the rockets, and anything that did get through (like the sticky bombs), were immediately repaired by the two engineers. By the time the heavy was killed, the sentries finished off anything left on defense.

Also, the Spy as a class is getting weaker every update. They should increase the cloaking period, since now the engineers are an even harder target for spies.

I noticed the Demoman (myself) creates tons of damage because I'm the new tank when it comes to destroying a team of 7 engies. just give me a medic and let me charge in there behind them all and I can help clear house. Also the new maps are fun so far, but some could have used a little tweaking. also there was an extra update tonight

Product Update - Valve
17:17
Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:

Team Fortress 2

* Fixed an exploit that allowed Engineers to build level 2/3 mini sentries.
* Fixed a bug that allowed sapped buildings to be picked up by the Engineer
* Fixed a bug where Wrangled level 3 sentryguns would still fire rockets when they were out of ammo.
* Fixed a bug where players would go into reference poses when switching classes while carrying a building.
* Fixed seeing the changeclass label in the spectator HUD when using cl_hud_minmode.
* The amount of revenge crits a player can have at one time is now capped at 35.
* The Wrangler no longer shows the shotgun's ammo count.
* Engineers can no longer pick up buildings while stunned or in loser state.
* Fixed Engineer shotgun and piston not using team skins for the Engineer's arms.
* Fixed an issue where Wrangled sentrygun effects wouldn't be attached to the sentrygun.
* The Gunslinger 3 hit combo now only increments the combo count when hitting enemy players.
* Fixed a crash in the control point progress bar.
* Fixed a server crash in the player death code, related to building carrying.
* Fixing performance spikes that occur at round start, and after each point capture, when TFBots are present in the server.
* Achievement fixes:
o The "Rio Grind" achievement limit is now correctly set to 50.
o Fixed a typo in Six-String Stinger achievement name.
o Fixed a bug in the "Death Metal" achievement that caused it to rapidly complete itself.
o Fixed getting the Six-String Stinger achievement without playing the guitar.
o Fixed sentrygun detection code in "Best Little Slaughterhouse in Texas" and "Deputized".
* Missed notes from yesterday's release:
o New response rules and sounds added for some classes

Sounds like the mini-sentry is aimed for offensive Engies.

I noticed the Demoman (myself) creates tons of damage because I'm the new tank when it comes to destroying a team of 7 engies. just give me a medic and let me charge in there behind them all and I can help clear house. Also the new maps are fun so far, but some could have used a little tweaking. also there was an extra update tonight

Yep, it seems like the Demomen are the only ones who could effective destroy sentries if you stacked a few stickies next to a sentry before detonation.

Problem is, Demoman is already the imbalanced class. This just makes them even more necessary.

I have mixed feelings about this update - The new weapons' gameplay styles probably make the game unnecessarily complex.

Good thing we have these human brains. Great for subduing complexity.

I approve of this update! Been having a blast playing this game again. :)

And as an engineer no less! Got my 3rd milestone achievement last night!

I enjoy the prospect of an overhealed heavy being killed within a second by a wrangled level three sentry.

Finally got playing this, after only about a week. It's a brilliant update, and the new weapons are fun to play with. Their balance also seems to be a lot more refined than previous updates. I find the mini-sentry lacking sometimes, but it does provide that extra bit of firepower in some situations. I'm yet to get my hands on a wrangler, but from the looks of it, it's also excellent.

Back