Face/Off For Real

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
A team of 30 Spanish doctors say they have successfully performed the world's first full face transplant;

A man injured in a shooting accident received the entire facial skin and muscles - including cheekbones, nose, lips and teeth - of a donor.

The man is recovering well after the 22-hour operation, said a spokesperson from Vall d'Hebron University Hospital.

_47702123_face_transplant_466.gif

Another 10 face transplants have been carried out around the world, but this is believed to be the most complex.

Hospital spokesperson Bianca Bont told the BBC: "This is the first total face transplant.

"There have been 10 operations of this kind in the world - this is the first to transplant all of the face and some bones of the face."

Face from dead donor is removed in four hour operation
Veins, arteries, skin, muscles, and bones are taken
The patient is anaesthetised partway through surgery on the donor and any previous skin grafts are removed
The donor face and accompanying blood vessels are stitched to the patient using complex microvascular surgery

The man was operated on in March, but details of the operation have only just been revealed.

He had been left unable to breathe, swallow, or talk properly after an accident five years ago.

He was considered for a full face transplant after nine previous operations failed.

A team of 30 experts carried out the operation on 20 March at the hospital in Barcelona.

The man has since seen himself in the mirror and was calm and satisfied, the leader of the medical team, Joan Pere Barret, told a news conference.

'Achievement'

The first partial face transplant was carried out by doctors in Amiens, France, in 2005.

Isabelle Dinoire, a 38-year-old woman who had been mauled by her dog, received a new nose, chin and lips.

Since then partial face transplants have been carried out in China and the US.

British experts say the Spanish operation may be the most complex yet.

It appears to include more bone and much more of the lower part of the face.

A spokesperson for the UK's Facial Transplantation Research Team, which has ethical permission to carry out a full face transplant, said it was "a tremendous achievement".

"This appears to be the most complex facial transplant operation carried out so far worldwide," he said.

"It once again shows how facial transplantation can help a small number of people who are the most severely facially injured and for whom reconstructive surgery cannot and has not worked."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8639437.stm

Aww. If only MJ were still alive...

Man, thats gotta be weird cutting the face off a dead dude and putting it on someone else.

Did you do something with your hair? You look different.

Oh, nah. I got a new face from a dead guy put on.

That's pretty amazing.

This is really appealing! I wonder how long it takes for you to get used to it

Also I'm still holding out for the horse dick transplants

Whoa, I always thought Face/Off was bullshit because unlike the rest of the body, the muscles in the face are directly attached to the skin, so you couldn't just pull it off. But I guess if you take the bone, muscles, and arteries along with it...

Pretty cool, man.

Incidentally, the movie was on just the other day on like TBS or something.

cool, can I have Nicolas Cage's face?

1paxoz.jpg

Holy shit virus, I dunno whether to be freaked out or be amused.

Your operation is complete. Let's take the bandages off so you can have a look in the mirror. ^

Id love to see the guy walk over to some mates and be like 'Heya, long time no see guys'.

And they all just look at him and say 'Who the hell are you?'

Even better than that, walking up to the donor's loved ones and pretending like you've risen from the grave.

Showing up to the donor's funeral to say thanks.

'He's aliiiiiiive!'

That is freaky.

Does the person look completely different or is the face molded to match the original face.

Wish they would show some photos, really curious as to how the healing process turns out.

The progress we have made over the years in terms of surgical ability is outstanding, especially when you consider that we are at such an infancy in terms of technology.

I forget where I read this but we have apparently found the gene in some species that allows them to re-grow a lost limb. There's no question that we can, at some point, apply that to human beings....

damn science, you cooool.

Interesting, still, the guy's skull hasn't changed and the new face will look different on the recipient sooo...no face-off sorta situation but hooray for medical science ey?

So what I'm getting from this is essentially a perfect plastic surgery. Seems way too good to be true.

I'm just wondering, wouldn't this essentially allow an impressionist to become the person him/herself?

We can totally bring back some celebrities!

I don't think we are anywhere near the stage where this would be used as cosmetic surgery. Besides, there's probably going to be some nasty scars or something.

So what I'm getting from this is essentially a perfect plastic surgery. Seems way too good to be true.

I'm just wondering, wouldn't this essentially allow an impressionist to become the person him/herself?

We can totally bring back some celebrities!

No , this isn't plastic surgery . This is a face transplant , the donor loses their face.

This is the 20th post and there have been 0 puns in this thread.

If he isn't castor troy, it isn't face/off for real.

Just watched this movie again the other day on TV. Creepy. EVERYBODY CAN BE ANYBODY! *tinfoil*

This is the 20th post and there have been 0 puns in this thread.

A surgery like that has got to be a JAWring transition for the whole family. They probably use a lot of anasTEETHsia beFOREHEAD. Who NOSE, maybe this surgery will one day become commonFACE.

There, you happy? Did it occur to you that we just wanted to have an EYE-BROW conversation for once?

In the future, man comes home to see his wife's sister

Man: Oh man I knew this day would come
Woman: I knew it!! You've always had a crush on my sister!! I want a divorce
Man: Shut up bitch! go make me a sammach
Woman: Ok, hun

Back