Fallout New Vegas debut trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) 3D graphics.
2) SLO-MO KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
3) Good art direction.

I would add freedom, open world and joy of exploration. I was sold on these features. And I am a long-time gamer. And I know that Fallout 3 story sucked. But it was fun. When I am entertained, when a game is fun, I usually am a happy man.

PaoloM said:
I know that Fallout 3 story sucked. But it was fun. When I am entertained, when a game is fun, I usually am a happy man.

this. I dont play games for story. they're rarely better written than throw away comics the mainstream publishers spit out

at the moment I'm playing an Irish former mechanic turned terrorist in occupied france blowing up nazis with nothing more than a few sticks of dynamite and an uncanny ability to quickly climb buildings and take dozens of bullets to the chest at a time.

how do you write a story around that that isnt shallow at best? but hey it's fun blowing up ratzis

so... does anybody have anything interesting to say about the trailer, because most of the above is tedious

1) i dont really like the style of the robot, i think somebody already mentioned Wall-E. also, the character on screen isnt very appealing, a bit sinister almost. is NV going in a darker direction?
2) Vegas is indeed looking pretty new, almost like no bombs were dropped on it or its been rebuilt quite well
3) just after the camera pans back from the fence, a steel disk can be seen in the lower left foreground (partially buried - maybe 10ft diameter) anything to it or just big scrap?
4) consensus seems to be that the dude at the end is Tycho from F1, his original description is something like "dusty leather coat and gas mask"

Regarding FO3 style,

Fallout 3 is a good game, but you CANT EVER in life say it was just like FALLOUT, you can only get that overwhelming sense of playing a masterpiece by playing Fallout 1 and 2. There is an Unamed feeling while playing Fallout 1, that game is Unique in so many ways. Its by far my on my List of Favorites and its 2.

Now if you play Fallout 3, "Ohh, it is just a good game".

That is about what it is in Difference with previous Fallout and Fallout 3. Excluding that God-awful Fallout Tactics and fail game Brotherhood of Steel.

1) i dont really like the style of the robot, i think somebody already mentioned Wall-E. also, the character on screen isnt very appealing, a bit sinister almost. is NV going in a darker direction?

It's based on the original games. You know, serious ones.

2) Vegas is indeed looking pretty new, almost like no bombs were dropped on it or its been rebuilt quite well

I find it an interesting thought to consider that maybe New Vegas is actually part robot city, or at least the heart of a technocratic faction.

3) just after the camera pans back from the fence, a steel disk can be seen in the lower left foreground (partially buried - maybe 10ft diameter) anything to it or just big scrap?

Scrap.

4) consensus seems to be that the dude at the end is Tycho from F1, his original description is something like "dusty leather coat and gas mask"

That's the community feeling. Me, I'd like to play as a convict serving his sentence as a tracker for the NCR. Van Buren did mention work release programs for convicts, so it'd play well into the fiction.

It's gonna be awesome no doubt in my mind.
And theres a reason why it's called New Vegas it was rebuilt. duh

It's based on the original games. You know, serious ones.

honestly, just get over it - how can you be so bitter about a game series, even Obsidian are fine with the direction the series has gone and are as we speak going with it and fine tuning the experience, is your opinion somehow more valid then theirs? some of the people who actually made the games? no.

we all know you do mod work for fallout 1/2 and write on NMA, but just because you choose to dedicate yourself those games like they are your children doesnt mean you can be such a comprehensive ass about anything that doesnt conform with your views of what a fallout game should be.

your boring. stop being boring.

/topic - cant wait for more info. im a bit bummed out about Fall 2010, was hoping for summer.

honestly, just get over it - how can you be so bitter about a game series, even Obsidian are fine with the direction the series has gone and are as we speak going with it and fine tuning the experience, is your opinion somehow more valid then theirs? some of the people who actually made the games? no.

Given that they are on contract from Bethesda, it's kind of obvious they aren't going to criticize the game that allowed them to continue the story of Fallout 1/2.

It's also a matter of what they have to work with. Fallout 3 was an FPS, so Obsidian can't reinvent it, since they have too little time.

Funnily enough, before Bethesda, every Fallout 3 idea and concept was focused on traditional, isometric turn based RPGs.

we all know you do mod work for fallout 1/2 and write on NMA, but just because you choose to dedicate yourself those games like they are your children doesnt mean you can be such a comprehensive ass about anything that doesnt conform with your views of what a fallout game should be.

It isn't my view. It's the view of the original developers - otherwise Van Buren would've been made to be a FPP shooter, not a traditional isometric RPG.

you're being somewhat elitist. f3 is pretty much stand alone in that you dont have to know the first thing about the universe to enjoy it. f1 or f2, in comparison, are somewhat hampered by the gameplay which is specific to that generation of video games. all one can do to measure it today, comparatively speaking, is on story. that alone cant carry it as well as it did when it first was first released. one could string that point along to saying one game is "better" than another but again it's mostly relative to the individual. however the consensus does have some sway in this issue

you forgot to mention a much larger video game playing demographic than in 1997. really the only way to measure this particular measurement of success is too compare it to games of that era and this era in terms of sales relative to other games and their respective hardware of the time. I really dont feel like slogging through sales figures so we'll leave it for the rabid fans to decide which is "better". both camp's arguments fall on death ears so it's really a moot point. personally I dont care enough to let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the game but that's just me

I'm not knocking Fallout 3 for being a bad game, and I don't blame people for liking it. But I do think it lacks many of the qualities that made the first two games much more enjoyable and memorable. Sure, I didn't like groin-punching rats with futility to be all that fun at first, but the world it gave way to was more involving and believable, dealing with more mature subject matter and better characters (both voiced and unvoiced). Fallout 3's wasteland is gorgeous and its combat is fun, but it doesn't grab me in the ways the other ones did. Bethesda's handling of moral dilemmas and gray areas often seem juvenile by comparison.

I really enjoyed FO3. Played it through several times. Loved the exploration. Always found something new.

I'll get NV no doubt. Hope the world is bigger than FO3's, which I'm sure it will be seeing as there's vehicles in it. Not sure what to make of the city, I'm not sure on all of the back story and stuff. Hope we get to explore it all though, fight our way up the buildings to some epic battle on top. :)

Never played the original games, so I just bought them all on Steam :D

Well I answered my own question, it was the NCR flag I saw.

I dont play games for story. they're rarely better written than throw away comics the mainstream publishers spit out

Totally agreed. I love good stories, but I don't look for them in videogames. There are books and movies for these kind of things. Old games had better stories? Sure, I agree. No modern game can beat Infocom's text adventures. So, should we go back to the 8-bit generation? A Mind Forever Voyaging anyone? Things change. Tastes change. We change. Just accept it and take it easy.

And now, back to my second playthrough on Fallout 3 before New Vegas!

Finally the real Fallout 3 approaches!

For the teaser, seems as if we'll have the deal with an NCR invasion of Vegas - possibly as part of the war with the BoS.

Totally agreed. I love good stories, but I don't look for them in videogames. There are books and movies for these kind of things. Old games had better stories? Sure, I agree. No modern game can beat Infocom's text adventures. So, should we go back to the 8-bit generation? A Mind Forever Voyaging anyone? Things change. Tastes change. We change. Just accept it and take it easy.

And now, back to my second playthrough on Fallout 3 before New Vegas!

I didn't mind most of the major changes Bethesda made. I like change.

It was still an inferior RPG.

A little too similar to FO3 as far as the teaser goes, but w/e.

Wow we're still having piss fights over Fallout? I'd thought we'd got over this guys.

They didn't dissipate when FO3 came out up till this was announced, did you think it would happen now? It'll never happen.

I was just hoping they'd get bored and move onto hating something else. As I've said before we'll never see another "true" Fallout so stop getting your panties in a bunch. F3 isn't what I'd call bad but on the other hand it's not great either. F3 has it's place and it's rather comfortable where it is, hopefully Vegas can improve on it.

Given that they are on contract from Bethesda, it's kind of obvious they aren't going to criticize the game that allowed them to continue the story of Fallout 1/2.

It's also a matter of what they have to work with. Fallout 3 was an FPS, so Obsidian can't reinvent it, since they have too little time.

Funnily enough, before Bethesda, every Fallout 3 idea and concept was focused on traditional, isometric turn based RPGs.

It isn't my view. It's the view of the original developers - otherwise Van Buren would've been made to be a FPP shooter, not a traditional isometric RPG.

nobody is forcing obsidians hand, theyve been approached to make a Fallout game in keeping with bethesdas efforts and theyve said yes and been paid. thats the end of it, they are happy.

as for van buren not being first person and isometric, maybe your beloved black isle didnt have the funding, insight, or the 'stones' to take the series in a new direction - maybe if they had they wouldve made a truck load of cash, would still be here now and couldve made the 'true sequel' your pining for... but they didnt, and here we are.

'traditional' rpgs appear to be dead, wallow if you must but stop seizing every chance you get to bitch about the far-from-perfect, but very entertaining F3 and keep it to yourself for eveybody elses sake.

nobody is forcing obsidians hand, theyve been approached to make a Fallout game in keeping with bethesdas efforts and theyve said yes and been paid. thats the end of it, they are happy.

Do you really believe what you say? Obsidian has to maintain a public image, but that doesn't mean original Fallout devs are happy with what Fallout became.

as for van buren not being first person and isometric, maybe your beloved black isle didnt have the funding, insight, or the 'stones' to take the series in a new direction - maybe if they had they wouldve made a truck load of cash, would still be here now and couldve made the 'true sequel' your pining for... but they didnt, and here we are.

Typical, ignorant post. Van Buren wasn't isometric due to technical limitations (which is a stupid argument, as isometric view is more hardware demanding - case in point: Dragon Age console vs. PC). It also didn't fail because of poor quality, lack of insight or stones, but because Herve Caen cancelled in favour of a ****ing console shooter.

Mind you, this is the same person who lost Interplay's D&D license because he didn't ensure that it was paid for.

So, it was corporate incompetence that lost the project, not the developers themselves.

'traditional' rpgs appear to be dead, wallow if you must but stop seizing every chance you get to bitch about the far-from-perfect, but very entertaining F3 and keep it to yourself for eveybody elses sake.

Translation: I don't agree with your views, so shut the **** up, only people who agree with me have the right to post..

Interesting trailer. I have faith that Obsidian will deliver some attention-worthy content, at least. Looking forward to exploring Vegas.

And while it might end up with a fair amount of bugs, that won't stop me from having fun with it.

Do you really believe what you say? Obsidian has to maintain a public image, but that doesn't mean original Fallout devs are happy with what Fallout became.

Typical, ignorant post. Van Buren wasn't isometric due to technical limitations (which is a stupid argument, as isometric view is more hardware demanding - case in point: Dragon Age console vs. PC). It also didn't fail because of poor quality, lack of insight or stones, but because Herve Caen cancelled in favour of a ****ing console shooter.

Mind you, this is the same person who lost Interplay's D&D license because he didn't ensure that it was paid for.

So, it was corporate incompetence that lost the project, not the developers themselves.

Translation: I don't agree with your views, so shut the **** up, only people who agree with me have the right to post..

if obsidian dont like what fallout has become they can simply walk away from an offer to make another iteration.

also, what arguement? the one your having with yourself by the sounds of it. i didnt say an isometric choice was due to technical limitations, i said they "didnt have the funding, insight, or the 'stones' to take the series in a new direction"- read it again, its a few possibilities i made up on a whim, not a list of concrete reasons they developed van buren the way they did. ill go over it in crayon for you if it helps

finally, im amazed you have the audacity to suggest things i say translate to "shut up, because i dont agree with you" you ****ing hypocrite. youve completely failed to even understand what we are even talking about these last few pages. the whole reason we are discussing this was because everytime anyone utters the words 'fallout 3' and 'good' in the same sentence you have an anal prolapse all over the thread. thats why i told you to keep it to yourself.

so yes, now iam going to tell you to shut up, because your talking bollocks

if obsidian dont like what fallout has become they can simply walk away from an offer to make another iteration.

Aaaand you have no idea how copyright works.

also, what arguement? the one your having with yourself by the sounds of it. i didnt say an isometric choice was due to technical limitations, i said they "didnt have the funding, insight, or the 'stones' to take the series in a new direction"- read it again, its a few possibilities i made up on a whim, not a list of concrete reasons they developed van buren the way they did. ill go over it in crayon for you if it helps

No, you clearly implied that Black Isle didn't have the guts to alter the foundations of the series, which is a patently false claim, as Fallout was, from the beginning, an isometric, turn based RPG.

finally, im amazed you have the audacity to suggest things i say translate to "shut up, because i dont agree with you" you ****ing hypocrite. youve completely failed to even understand what we are even talking about these last few pages. the whole reason we are discussing this was because everytime anyone utters the words 'fallout 3' and 'good' in the same sentence you have an anal prolapse all over the thread. thats why i told you to keep it to yourself.

If you haven't noticed, I said Fo3 is a good game. My entire argument is that it's a good game, just not a good Fallout game.

so yes, now iam going to tell you to shut up, because your talking bollocks
[/quote]

Oh good, you learned how to use coloured text on the forum. Maybe the next skill you'll learn is punctuation and capitalisation!

The only way to settle this is handbags at dawn!

mikael stop being such a dick it's a video game jeez.

mikael stop being such a dick it's a video game jeez.

I've got principles. Whether it's genocide or video games, I'll remain a stubborn ass, even if I'm proven wrong.

(Note for the dimwitted: It's sarcasm.)

(which is a stupid argument, as isometric view is more hardware demanding - case in point: Dragon Age console vs. PC).

Uh, what? I can't possibly see how in any game an isometric view is more demanding than first person. Do you have a link where they said that was the reason for the difference?

Uh, what? I can't possibly see how in any game an isometric view is more demanding than first person. Do you have a link where they said that was the reason for the difference?

You can't see it because you don't know shit about rendering (as er your user title).

Dragon Age: Origins doesn't have tactical view, where the battle is zoomed out, providing an isometric view of the battlefield. On the other hand, the PC version does have the zoom out feature. And better framerate. And better graphics. And...

Point is, the key difference between TPP/FPP perspective and isometric is the amount of rendering the GFX card and processor have to do. In isometric perspective you have to render everything in sight of the camera and since it's usually quite high up, that's a lot of load.

In TPP/FPP you still render everything the camera sees, but it's a fraction of the amount the iso view has to do, simply because it's not an overall view but a small part.

You can't see it because you don't know shit about rendering (as er your user title).

Dragon Age: Origins doesn't have tactical view, where the battle is zoomed out, providing an isometric view of the battlefield. On the other hand, the PC version does have the zoom out feature. And better framerate. And better graphics. And...

Point is, the key difference between TPP/FPP perspective and isometric is the amount of rendering the GFX card and processor have to do. In isometric perspective you have to render everything in sight of the camera and since it's usually quite high up, that's a lot of load.

In TPP/FPP you still render everything the camera sees, but it's a fraction of the amount the iso view has to do, simply because it's not an overall view but a small part.

Well dragon age is a bit of a special case, because a true isometric game, that is only ever seen in isometric will be optimized differently than a FPP, plus if we're talking Fallout then the view is so close up that there really wont be many draw calls. Generally speaking, indoor environments may run better in FPP due to culling. I say "may because again, it depends on how the game is optimized (you can afford much smaller textures and lower polycount on many things in an isometric game), but outdoor environments will almost always be less load on an isometric game than one in FPP.

Also, please don't assume that I don't know anything about rendering. I may be full of shit when it comes to many things, but I'm a modeler and the lead QA at the studio I work for so I know a bit about how to import assets into a realtime engine :|

blah blah blah

youre actually full of shit, but at least the discussion is over now.

youve clearly run out of your drivel, judging by the fact that all youve got to say thats new is about grammar and punctuation, which i couldnt care less about on a games forum.

in future, why dont you piss off next time you see a thread regarding a new fallout game - because everytime you poke your head in it turns into a cluster****

can't we just be happy that we have another big title to look forward to this year?

can't we just be happy that we have another big title to look forward to this year?

well i am excited, but we have to wait until the 11th for the magazines with articles on NV though - hopefully something concrete will present itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back