Fallout: New Vegas just became a whole lot more awesome

yeah shame about the graphics oh well at least I got Oblivion for $8

I really don't mind the graphics, it's the gameplay that I really loved about Fallout 3. That, and the post-apocalyptic feel. But unfortunately since mid 2008 I couldn't play Fallout 3 anymore, because of the constant crashing problems. Before Fallout 3 was patched it would crash but not often. However, ever since the patches for the game were released every 10-15 minutes the damn thing would crash. I have tried everything, except switch to an ATI Video Card, to fix the problem but no luck. So now I'm stuck with not being able to play one of my most fun games in my collection. I am tempted to get Fallout New Vegas, but I'm too concerned that this one will crash on me alot, like Fallut 3. And that's a real bummer for me. But I'll wait for people's impressions to see if this one crashes as much as Fallout 3.

I was a little surprised to hear that Fallout New Vegas will use Steamworks instead of GFWL, but then again few people online like GFWL and many on Bethesda's own forums *hate* GFWL. I can't blame them, and I expect GFWL fanboys to bash Steam even more now.

classicpackblog11.jpg

I thought Vault 13 was in California

It's a pre-order bonus. It's not even a real Vault 13 suit, anyway.

I really don't mind the graphics, it's the gameplay that I really loved about Fallout 3. That, and the post-apocalyptic feel.

Every time I play Fallout 3, the wasteland leaves me breathless. It seems that my standards are low compared to most PC gamers in these forums, but I keep thinking that FO3 has great, stunning graphics. And the gameplay is fantastic. As I already said, imo FO3 is one of the best games I played in years. Even if New Vegas is a simple expansion pack, it's a buy for me.

I really don't mind the graphics, it's the gameplay that I really loved about Fallout 3. That, and the post-apocalyptic feel. But unfortunately since mid 2008 I couldn't play Fallout 3 anymore, because of the constant crashing problems. Before Fallout 3 was patched it would crash but not often. However, ever since the patches for the game were released every 10-15 minutes the damn thing would crash. I have tried everything, except switch to an ATI Video Card, to fix the problem but no luck. So now I'm stuck with not being able to play one of my most fun games in my collection. I am tempted to get Fallout New Vegas, but I'm too concerned that this one will crash on me alot, like Fallut 3. And that's a real bummer for me. But I'll wait for people's impressions to see if this one crashes as much as Fallout 3.

I was a little surprised to hear that Fallout New Vegas will use Steamworks instead of GFWL, but then again few people online like GFWL and many on Bethesda's own forums *hate* GFWL. I can't blame them, and I expect GFWL fanboys to bash Steam even more now.

oh yeah the crashing issues is major downer when it comes to FO3
funny I never had those issues with Oblivion....

Doth my eyes deceive me, or... have they still not added ****ing shadows to that engine?

Ugh.

Doth my eyes deceive me, or... have they still not added ****ing shadows to that engine?

Ugh.

Nope, they doth not deceive thee!

It's terrible that in the over 4 years it's been since Oblivion came out, they still haven't been able to add fully dynamic shadows whilst maintaining decent performance, just shows how terrible the engine is.

Maybe I've just been spoiled by other open-ended games with dynamic shadows such as Risen, Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption etc, but it just looks so ugly when it lacks any shadows cast by buildings and other such static objects.

I remember the early trailers for Oblivion, they had dynamic shadowing didn't they? Anyway, in the later trailers, this was removed. That was kind of annoying, but I understand because of the hits to performance.

My memory could be inaccurate, but I could've sworn I remember others saying the same thing.

I can't blame them, and I expect GFWL fanboys to bash Steam even more now.

There are GFWL fanboys? I think pretty much everyone agrees that GFWL is an irredeemable pile of shit.

I'm also a little disappointed that not much has changed since Fallout 3 as far as engine and visual stuff goes, and that Gamebryo continues to be absolutely hideous. But on the other hand, I'm sort of glad this stuff is staying because judging from Alpha Protocol, Obsidian are the only people in the entire world worse at designing combat systems and character models/animations than Bethesda. Building off Bethesda's work should let them focus on story, writing, dialogue, etc. Which they are actually good at.

I remember the early trailers for Oblivion, they had dynamic shadowing didn't they? Anyway, in the later trailers, this was removed. That was kind of annoying, but I understand because of the hits to performance.

My memory could be inaccurate, but I could've sworn I remember others saying the same thing.

Correct, Oblivion did in its original screens have fully dynamic soft-shadowing for all objects/architecture etc, but this was removed early on due to performance issues.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for the verification.

I'm sort of glad this stuff is staying because judging from Alpha Protocol, Obsidian are the only people in the entire world worse at designing combat systems and character models/animations than Bethesda.

Combat system, I'll give you. But the models and animations in Alpha protocol are generally pretty decent. Especially the models and textures. And I could name the bad animations on one hand, unlike in Oblivion/Fallout in which there aren't enough hands in my entire extended family.

Also, I would say JE Sawyer is a level-headed designer.

but this was removed early on due to performance issues.

Soz, but nope. As I recall, removing all environment shadows was announced just a few weeks before the game went gold. Which is odd as those E3 vids in 2005 ran it smooth as butter. There was no good reason for it not too, nor was there any reason why they couldn't have put in a static shadow option instead. Except I guess if Bill couldn't run the whole nine yards on his xtoybox at the eleventh hour, nobody else was allowed to either.

Soz, but nope. As I recall, removing all environment shadows was announced just a few weeks before the game went gold. Which is odd as those E3 vids in 2005 ran it smooth as butter. There was no good reason for it not too, nor was there any reason why they couldn't have put in a static shadow option instead. Except I guess if Bill couldn't run the whole nine yards on his xtoybox at the eleventh hour, nobody else was allowed to either.

I was just reiterating what I read in an interview, it was from the devs themselves, they said it was a too big performance drain so they had to remove it

I don't buy the whole blaming it on the X-BOX, you put too much faith in Bethesda and the mediocre third-party engine they're using.

Heh, already a few GFWL fanboys are refusing to buy Fallout NV for the PC since they have to use Steam:

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/t/13168.aspx

I'll wait for reports on bugs and lockups. I'm really hoping that they don't make a return with this title because I'd really like to give this one a whirl as well.

GFWL has fanboys??

GFWL is terrible!

I miss my old Black Isle. *pines for BG2*

I miss my old Troika, mainly because of two games (one in particular). I'm waiting for ZRPG to give me my "old school" fix.

Anyway, the one thing about NV that concerns me is the voice acting, I've heard that they are using Bethesda's voice actors, is this true? The VA in F3 wasn't that great, IMO.

I miss my old Black Isle. *pines for BG2*

I've never played BG2, is it more newb-friendly than BG1?

I got the Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate collections but my first attempt was BG1 and that game kinda turned me off, found it very hard seeing as I'm not a big fan of party-micromanagement.

Sorry for off-topic but I figured I'd take the chance to ask.

Just wanted to say, I'm playing fallout 3 for the first time and it kicks ass. Yo.

Just wanted to say, I'm playing fallout 3 for the first time and it kicks ass. Yo.

I'm going for my second playthrough, and it's even better than the first. There is so much to see and to do. It's overwhelming.

I need to do a second playthrough, played it through once on release, then got all the DLCs, but never got around to replaying it(with the DLCs.)

I'm specializing in melee and with VATS it's basically the most badass thing ever. In fact, my character is named "batass".

Yeah Fallout 3 really had it's moments, and it was a pretty enjoyable game. Sure some of the plot was retarded and there where some things I whould have loved to see different, but it was still fun. So I guess im kinda looking forward to New Vegas. Probably can't beat 1 and 2 though.

GFWL has fanboys??

GFWL is terrible!

Yeah, believe it or not that underwhelming effort by Microsoft to support PC Games has fans to it. But everywhere else, it looks like people are actually happy that this new fallout title will use Steamworks rather than GFWL. So if the GFWL fanboys want to boycott this title for the PC because it'll be using Steamworks as opposed to GFWL, then it'll be their loss. They are clearly in the minority.

If you guys get Fallout New Vegas, can you be sure to mention if it's prone to as much crashes and lockups as Fallout 3? If it has less of those, then I'll definately pick up Fallout New Vegas. Hell, I already miss Fallout 3 (I currently can't play it since it crashes so darn frequently).

I do rather look forward to this, yes.

However there is one minor issue that's been bugging me as I've been following the game's progress. I am concerned that aesthetically, the design seems far less focussed than it was in FO3. There was a real cohesive visual style, and even though everything was brown, it still looked visually interesting, and it really helped solidify the atmosphere and setting.

By contrast, looking at the screens for New Vegas, everything is just ugly, to be blunt. Some of the textures, and the lighting in particular, look like an enthusiastic modder's work rather than a paid professional. Don't get me wrong, I'm no shallow graphics whore who just wants to admire the shiny things; I've no doubt it'll still be a very enjoyable game. But I can't pretend it won't detract from my enjoyment when the environment looks so drab and boring.

By contrast, looking at the screens for New Vegas, everything is just ugly, to be blunt. Some of the textures, and the lighting in particular, look like an enthusiastic modder's work rather than a paid professional.

I had that impression too. My first thought was that sceneries, graphics and art direction in Fallout 3 were actually much more impressive and professional, but we'll have to play the game before making a judgement.

Ugh.

Considering the fact the engine does in fact support the types of shadows we want yes it's depressing. I personally blame consoles. Performance is a cop out because PC hardware has continued to get better whilst consoles really just sit around doing nothing for a few years.

And yet other, better looking console games perform perfectly well with dynamic shadows.

Not even saying they'd have to be dynamic, or soft, or anything like that, but there is absolutely no excuse for having zero shadowing whatsoever.

I personally blame the developers who obviously aren't interested in even giving the PC games the option to enable it through some .INI toggle or such.

I think it's pretty silly to blame the lack of the option to turn on dynamic shadows on an inanimate object, rather than on the people who made the conscious decision not to include the option.:)

I thought todays game didn't even use all of the PS3s gizmos and shit. I read that somewhere.

Considering the fact the engine does in fact support the types of shadows we want yes it's depressing. I personally blame consoles. Performance is a cop out because PC hardware has continued to get better whilst consoles really just sit around doing nothing for a few years.

I was yelling about this in some thread a while back. Console games always have a really limited breadth in their lifetime to improve graphics. What happens is that games get held within the timeframe a few years after the release of the latest consoles... and the bad part is - games are going to consoles first... so they're getting muddled in what is becoming increasingly dated PS3 and Xbox360 graphics. Things like Crysis, which could barely be ran on high end computers when it was released (just as much related to poor programming/design) are becoming more rare. There aren't so many "Buy a computer that can run this game" as more and more "Buy this shitty port of a console game."

The benefit of this is, however, that my computer is holding up great with minimal upgrades. Running pretty things like Mass Effect 2 with great framerates. I haven't tried Fallout just yet but I feel like it will also run well. I'm glad I can have things look nice years after getting my computer... but I hate the idea of waiting for the next generation of consoles before we get a notable leap in graphical improvement...

If more people feel the way I do about this, I'm sure console developers will have a way to make money from it. My guess is that they'll have modular console components... like memory chips and GPUs you swap out after 2-4 years so they can milk you for half the cost of a console to play new games. It will probably be "required" for all the really nice releases. I hope I'm not giving Microsoft and Sony any ideas here...

Back