Fallout: New Vegas just became a whole lot more awesome

Really enjoyed Fallout 3 and am probably going to enjoy this but the character animation is simply dire, the new trailer shows this so much.

I personally blame the developers who obviously aren't interested in even giving the PC games the option to enable it through some .INI toggle or such.

I think it's pretty silly to blame the lack of the option to turn on dynamic shadows on an inanimate object, rather than on the people who made the conscious decision not to include the option.:)

Like I said, the engine supports it. And yes the devs could and should've added a toggle. But the reason for removing the option completely is obviously Microsoft contract related and not the choice of the devs, so arguably it's not their fault, nor the console itself that is to blame, but the console's creators and their contract restrictions based on the limitations of their bottlenecking product. At the end of the day it's just semantics saying it's the fault of the engine developers, dont'cha think?

Microsoft CONTRACT? Oh please, do you have any reliable source to confirm the existence of this contract?

Or is it just Microsoft-hate induced speculation on your part?

Sigh.

Really enjoyed Fallout 3 and am probably going to enjoy this but the character animation is simply dire, the new trailer shows this so much.

Aye, I hate the animation in FO3, the biggest downfall IMO.

Microsoft CONTRACT? Oh please, do you have any reliable source to confirm the existence of this contract?

Or is it just Microsoft-hate induced speculation on your part?

Sigh.

You got me, it's NOT a legal requirement to comply to any terms and conditions whatsoever when developing software to run on Microsoft hardware. You win. Bethesda are the bad guys.

I should be more specific, do you have any hard proof that Microsoft forbade Bethesda from including a dynamic shadowing toggle in the PC version of Oblivion and Fallout 3?

Simple enough question, isn't it?

Do you have any hard proof Bethesda made a conscious decision not to include it just because they 'weren't interested'?

"Burden of proof"

Look it up. Also, you're stupid. They said they couldn't get decent performance with the shadows on. Microsoft had nothing to do with the decision beyond providing the hardware (which other developers managed to get environment shadows working with). It wasn't because they "weren't interested," which is something that nobody here said. Its because they didn't feel like spending dev time to re-enable the code for it on PC. Or perhaps even on PC hardware at the time the shadows were too taxing. They never specified which platform was having the issue, so its possible it was both.

I got bored of Fallout 3 pretty quickly, and one major reason was the ridiculous amount of bugs and glitch.

I'm not sure if you guys were aware, but a patch was released for PC which creates a lag for the VATS loading time (it takes a few seconds before the percentages show up) and also completely screws up the VATS calculation. In other words, none of the perks you picked up that increases your accuracy will work.

I quit the game for a while since I simply could not be bothered, and I thought a new patch would've been released in a short while for the pc in order to fix this issue. However, there was a complete hiatus (I was at the forums), and not one dev or mod acknowledged the issue until after two months, where they released a new patch to fix the calculation issue. However, this new patch ONLY fixed the calculation issue, but the VATS lag still stands, and good luck to whoever tried to get Bethesda to fix it.

After that incident, I'm not too keen on playing Bethesda games anymore. They have horrible customer support, and their games are buggy as hell. Most of the time it is up to the community to fix the issue. I played Oblivion, and like Fallout 3 the game was full of bugs that Bethesda was not bothered to fix or even acknowledge.

Fallout New Vegas looks like more of the same thing, and I'm betting the game will be glitched and bugged up as hell.

Looks pretty great content-wise, but the lack of engine updates is still bugging me. Seems like more of an expansion than a stand-alone product really.

I like the fact that you can have "deep conversations" with your companions, and they have their own quests associated with them. Should be an interesting game.

I understand we haven't seen the full game yet, but I was a little disappointed to see the return if the three dialogue-option system from Fallout 3. That system makes it too easy to discern the connotation and consequences your message implies because it's just "Good, Neutral, Evil". At least, that's the way it still seems to me. Don't let us down, Obsidian!

Xev, you're a bright person. Why do you take a handful of irrelevant conversatons (doorman, floor shark, grunt) as representative of the entire dialogue system? I understand if they showed a convo with House, but a doorman?

Really.

Xev, you're a bright person. Why do you take a handful of irrelevant conversatons (doorman, floor shark, grunt) as representative of the entire dialogue system? I understand if they showed a convo with House, but a doorman?

Really.

As I said, we haven't seen the full game yet. It's just an observation I made. I understand Obsidian is much, much more creative than Bethesda. The three-tiered dialogue system is still a little bit of a fear.

Jeez, that city environment look pretty bad. So bland and barren.

Not as much as anything in the Capital Wasteland, IMO.

The capital wasteland is one thing. But thats supposed to be ****ing Vegas.

Heh, knew you were gonna say that :p I agree. Didn't that part of the vid that showed Vegas take place at night? I'll take a look, but hopefully in the daytime Vegas will have considerably more people milling about.

It's post-nuclear Vegas. The population's at an all-time low.

It's post-nuclear Vegas. The population's at an all-time low.

Agreed. I was thinking that Vegas in those trailers is too much technological and crowded compared to the capital wasteland. But, yes, that area has not been bombed, right?

Eff the canon, it makes no sense anyway :p

(Don't lynch me)

You don't even know the rationale and you decry it. Funny.

So this guy hated the game because he didn't know/wasn't directed where to go. LOL.
For example, upon meeting a hotel lobbyist, all I wanted to do was fight him, so I picked all the confrontational dialogue boxes. After I killed the guy, my character was permanently banned from the hotel and I was forced to restart the demonstration because I broke it. To no surprise, I broke the demo a few more times, and eventually I just gave up to go play Brink. With no direction and a limited time to play, it’s impossible to get the full spectrum of New Vegas.

He "broke it"

No you dumb arse you made a decision to act like a dick and there are consequences for doing so. You don't trash a hotel room in RL and expect them to let you stay there again do you? Maybe it wasn't the best idea for a game demo and being an arse should have produced an equally valid option but meh early days.

The gaming journalism at its best.

On my second playthrough of FO3 right now with all DLC and on PC. First time was on xbox and I only had three of the DLC packs. Gotta prepare myself for the new game.

edit: ****ing draw distances on pc crush xbox's

Suuure. 'Alpha' build.

Yes, an alpha build. If you compare it with the newest screenshots, there's a noticeable difference.

On my second playthrough of FO3 right now with all DLC and on PC. First time was on xbox and I only had three of the DLC packs. Gotta prepare myself for the new game.

If you want to prepare for the new game, dust off the originals and read up on Van Buren.

Yeah, though knowledge of Van Buren won't really be necessary to understand New Vegas, one will at least see where they got inspiration and many ideas from.

I'm sure Obsidian has designed NV so that knowledge of the prior games isn't necessary to understand what is going on (per Bethesda or whatever), although there will definitely be many references to the originals I have no doubt.

games often make use of prerendered graphics in quite a subtle way, usually only slightly changing things up for the sake of cinematics and story. not new vegas, i guess!

I highly doubt it will be Cpt Tenacious, since it's running on the same engine as Oblivion and Fallout 3, though upgraded, but I will eat my own pinkyfinger if it has a third-person view that's actually good and fun to play with.

a third-person view that's actually good and fun to play with.

They'll need to work on running animations before that's even possible. Hell, F3 didn't even have a diagonal running animation.

Getting this on the 360 I'm afraid, since I won't have my new PC until sometime November.:(

Back