Fallout: New Vegas just became a whole lot more awesome

Almost level 8 now and just got to the town with the Dinosaur statue.

Still getting slowdowns when multiple characters are around but its still playable. This only happens outside though.

Is there a bug with repairs? I can repair my weapons to fully repaired even though my repair skill is like 17.

same here! i love it. I think I'm at like repair skill of 32 and I can fix just about anything to 100% which is awesome. unless that was intended. Also as asked earlier, I'm just winging it with the skill sets and pts. I really just want to play this game as quickly as possible because I have about 10 million other games to play this fall and beyond

Almost level 8 now and just got to the town with the Dinosaur statue.

Still getting slowdowns when multiple characters are around but its still playable. This only happens outside though.

Is there a bug with repairs? I can repair my weapons to fully repaired even though my repair skill is like 17.

Posted a while back, but try this for a performance boost: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34778

And I don't think that's a bug. Your skill level just affects your efficiency - so with a low skill it could take four or five similar weapons to get it to 100%, whereas with a high skill you might only need the one. High repair is good for crafting at workbenches as well, it'll allow you make weapon repair kits out of random shit like scrap metal and duct tape, and they work great for repairing rare or unique weapons.

got this today, just gone through the town invaded by ceaser's legion and stopped to make food and have a break. so far so good - it's definitely built upon fallout 3. no bugs, glitches or performances issues for me at all... yet.

Good, patches are coming. Still waiting until bugs are gone and price drops.

I'm hoping there's a performance fix on the way. I can max BC2 with tanks, explosions and people everywhere, and Metro 2033, but New Veags, which to be fair looks rough in comparison, runs considerably worse than both. Crysis runs better!

I'm hoping there's a performance fix on the way.

I don't have the game yet, but this seems the worst "bug" of all. A fix is surely needed. An official fix by Obsidian/Bethesda, I mean, not that suspicious dll workaround.

Got the game yesterday but ain't done with the second playthrough of FO3 so it'll have to wait a few days.:)

I've had no problems with lag yet and only a few crashes which are super annoying because I have to reboot cause a sound keeps looping until I shut my computer off as I stated before. (Couldn't find where to disable sound acceleration Gargantou, I checked dxdiag :( ) I run it on Windows 7 64-bit and so far I'm surprised at the lack of bugs after reading about them and I've played somewhere around 8 hours so far.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6LHPT9ZC

Drop the file in the folder with the game's .exe files and re-start Steam.

Sorry about going back a few pages, but I needed to find this file and I can't do anything in freeside right now because of the awful framerate. Noticed the file you linked is smaller than the one I downloaded, and it says "Fallout 3 Fix". Is it the right file?

Edit: I took the fix out originally right when it got deleted from forums because the new update was downloading, and I thought maybe it was an official fix.

Kisze, after some googling now I found out that for some reason Microsoft removed the ability to disable sound acceleration from DXDIAG.. It was in XP, and Vista as well I think?

Oh well.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I guess if one was really desperate one could go to the device manager and temporarily deactivate the sound-card and then reactivate it?

I have two soundcards, one on the motherboard and another which I bought cause I wanted better sound. I have tried before to switch between them but the sound still stays when I do that. All other sounds stop working of course but that sound persists. It's weird.

this game definetely gets better as you play more and more just like FO3

I wonder if I will have the will to play F:NV directly after I'm done with 3, 60 hours in and starting to get bored of it so.

Oh well, if not Fable 3 is coming out next week to make for a nice "diversion"!

Garg, you've completed Fallout 3 before, right? Just play NV already! It's so much fun :D

OMG B
oone
is godly as a companion.
I lol'd at the end of his quest in Novac
BOOM HEADSHOT

Really need to find a sniper rifle, btw.

Either go to the Vault 34 Armory for a regular old sniper rifle.

Or buy the .50 cal Anti-Material Sniper from the Gun Runners. But you need 8 strength and 100 Guns to use it.

I wonder if I will have the will to play F:NV directly after I'm done with 3, 60 hours in and starting to get bored of it so.

Oh well, if not Fable 3 is coming out next week to make for a nice "diversion"!

Not sure where you got the idea that you had to play Fallout 3 to play NV...

Is there a bike or something fast I can ride? I hate walking to new places.

OMG B
oone
is godly as a companion.
I lol'd at the end of his quest in Novac
BOOM HEADSHOT

Really need to find a sniper rifle, btw.

Yeah I use him too.
As you can guess from him being a sniper he is deadly in the open! Went to the robco rocket factory and on the way there he was just one shotting everything. Inside he's a bit slower at shooting but still very handy :D

Just inside the robco headquarters now near new vegas I think. Just heading to the third floor now to see whats going on in there :)

so did anyone start with hardcore mode? how do you like it?

I'm going to save hardcore for my next play through. Wanted to get to know the world and such before I went through on hardcore. Apparently you don't need to drink and sleep and stuff, some review said a few pages back. Plus I got that vault 13 water container, which means I don't have to drink as my guy automatically drinks every so often from it. I could just drop it though.

There isn't any targeting system for the
Archimedes (that huge sun laser)
is there? I thought I read somewhere there was a "gun" you could have to call it to where you were pointing?

Enjoying Hardcore mode much more than standard here, mostly because of the stimpacks not healing instantly and having to use Doctor's Bag or paying doctors for crippled limbs. Ammo weight makes a difference too.

The need to eat/drink/sleep is not meaningful. There's resources everywhere. Still I'd much rather have it on.

Kinda liking it so far. I didn't expect I would, so that's nice. I am not doing too many side-quests, just steadily pursuing Chandler. Doing what I have to do in Novac now. How much longer until I get to Vegas proper now?

If you go straight after chandler then you should be there after about 2 quest updates. :)

I got sidetracked big time and still haven't seen Vegas yet.

Same. I've been focused on sidequests.

i'm at the gate to the strip but i haven't enough credits to get in. i've done a few side things (rocket launch, checked up on some rangers, etc) but i feel i've been quite quickly going from a-b-c-d to where i'm, as the quest says, to confront benny. should i slow down a bit? i'm enjoying the hell out of it, but when i first played fallout 3 back when it came out i played the game way too fast and disliked it, then went back at it slower and enjoyed it but that was knowing full well how long the game was and what was ahead of me. with this, it's obviously brand new so i've not really any clue as to how i'm pacing it.

I forced myself to make it to Vegas fast as possible, and now I'm severely underleveled and being beaten to death over and over by masked cannibals. Hurrr.

I forced myself to make it to Vegas fast as possible, and now I'm severely underleveled and being beaten to death over and over by masked cannibals. Hurrr.

Get 5554 caps
Go to Gun Runners
Buy the Assault Carbine and a ton of 5mm rounds
Kill. Everything.

i think i'm a pretty average level for my time spent in the game (4 hours, level 7 or 8 i forget) but i've nowhere near that amount of caps. that said, i only recently leveled up to get the fortune finder perk so hopefully i'll find caps here and there. then i leveled up straight after that when i found something quest-worthy important, and went for the ammo finding perk. forget the name.

I've got two followers with me right now. The game has been pretty autopilot ever since.

I went to Gun Runners with 3000 caps, saw that ****ing rifle and sold everything I had.

My loadout now

Weapons:
Service Rifle
Assault Carbine
9mm Pistol
Laser RCW (Found it randomly, its a little Thompson SMG that fires lasers)

Clothes:
Merc Grunt Outfit
Combat Helmet

Then a ton of ammo for 3 guns (I have no Energy Cells.) I have no money, not many weapons, no health stuff. But I love my ****ing rifle.

Try and take the perk that helps you get extra ammo too, that really comes in handy.

Isn't that perk called Scrounger or something? That might be the one effecting caps, dunno.

i feel soo dumb, i tried walking around a huge plateau type area and didn't even bother looking at the map. i must have wasted like 30 mins doing so and then getting raped by more giant rad scorpiens by the butload. its like they know me by scent now and just start stinging the hell out of me. anyway im almost lvl 7 right now and just like in Fallout 3, i can see myself getting tougher and tougher now

FO protip: DO NOT TAKE THE "HERE AND NOW" PERK

I cannot stress that enough. Just in case you don't know, "here and now" is a perk you can get on level up that will take you to the NEXT level immediately. A level that you'll get to anyways. Taking that perk is a waste of perk space.

Get 5554 caps
Go to Gun Runners
Buy the Assault Carbine and a ton of 5mm rounds

Good thing I found 3 of those guns just lyin around as loot :dork:

I got another beastly gun called the Trail Carbine. It's a pretty unassuming repeater, but it uses .44 ammo and really ****s shit up with VATS headshots.

Those 2 guns are all I use now.

Back