Farcry 3

God damn yes, that would be more than welcome. And I know it's a stretch, but how about tameable raptor mounts that can eat foes.

"Trespasser" on the cryengine.

Let us make sweet, sweet love.

Actually, I'm much more looking forward to Sleeping Dogs than Far Cry 3, but I could be favorably comparing the former with quite a few games this year.

God damn yes, that would be more than welcome. And I know it's a stretch, but how about tameable raptor mounts that can eat foes.

No, tameable raptors would be terrible and also boring.
Man and dinosaur are implacable enemies, we always have been throughout all of recorded history and shall remain so long after we take to the stars and leave this planet far behind us.

Every game should have dinosaur and kill Hitler modes. No exception.

No, tameable raptors would be terrible and also boring.
Man and dinosaur are implacable enemies, we always have been throughout all of recorded history and shall remain so long after we take to the stars and leave this planet far behind us.

Hahah, how ever could I have forgotten this bit of sage? Forgive me!

(still want that in game dammit!)... distant memories of Nanosaur (even though you play as a dino him/herself not a human being, iirc.

I just had a bizarre mental image of a Warhammer 40k style action game but with dinosaurs instead of Orks.

"Slay the dinosaur hoard for the emperaaaaahhhhh!!1"

Am I the only one sh*tting themselves over this game? I've been waiting for another FPS like this since FC2, which, yeah, was taxing.

the design direction of this game seems like it's basically a response to everyone calling out on green and brown games.

thanks a ****ing lot, jerks. now i'm going to have to play a game pumped up on LSD. what's with all the ****ing blur?

the world has me excited and i like the idea of those radio towers, but the combat still seems a bit bleh. probably going to be a cheap pickup or rental from me.

Really excited about hunting and skinning tbh. I wish there was a survival mode where you needed to hunt and eat.

the design direction of this game seems like it's basically a response to everyone calling out on green and brown games.

thanks a ****ing lot, jerks. now i'm going to have to play a game pumped up on LSD.

You are a terrible person.

and why is that, exactly? i'm not saying the recent splurge of green and brown/beige games are a good thing, my post was more about how this is in completely the opposite direction from that - like the designers have gone out of their way to make it anything but beige and if i'm totally honest i think i prefer 'gritty darkness' to something akin to super mario sunshine when i'm going to be spending a good amount of time skinning goats, fighting bears and setting people on fire.

'gritty darkness'

Yawn.

Gritty this, gritty that. Media in general is saturated with the whole "OMG gritty/dark realism" art direction and I'm sick of it.

I'm glad we're getting games with a more vibrant color palette.

If I'm going to kill a ton of bad guys in a game, I'd rather do it in a colorful and bright environment than in yet another desaturated post apocalyptic industrial environment.

Quite looking forward to it; I'm also one of the few people here that enjoyed Far Cry 2.

I do hope, however, that the icons above enemies' heads and seeing their silhouettes through obstacles is something limited to the lower difficulty settings.

"Jason is the Call of Duty and sees an opportunity for a Medal of Honor so he heads out into the Battlefield to try and resolve the Crysis in Uncharted territory and it's kind of the Borderlands between the series."

Have to admit that I laughed pretty hard at that. I'm excited. The hair on my neck went up after they mentioned "enemy roadblocks" though.

I still can't get past the hideous looking threat/damage indicator(s) and the clunky UI.

Yawn.

Gritty this, gritty that. Media in general is saturated with the whole "OMG gritty/dark realism" art direction and I'm sick of it.

I'm glad we're getting games with a more vibrant color palette.

If I'm going to kill a ton of bad guys in a game, I'd rather do it in a colorful and bright environment than in yet another desaturated post apocalyptic industrial environment.

DERP DERP

i'm not saying the recent splurge of green and brown/beige games are a good thing

i don't approve of either when it's so ridiculously over the top, that was my point. my distaste is toward the laziness of going from one end of the spectrum to the other. it's like someone using a contrast tool in photoshop except it's only going from one end to the other with nothing in between.

I can't wait to unlock all the sniper rifles and pistols. Snipe some dudes from a ridge and then hang-glide in and go Tomb Raider on their asses. Somehow the little boy inside of me never gets tired of the whole free-form base assault concept :p

I love rugged and dark to be honest. Craziness that is fictional but grounded in reality is the best IMO. Then again I could love a Barbie game if the story was thrilling, presented well, and voice acted well enough...

There is no way they are going to set up roadblocks like in FC2. I think I even heard them mention how bad they were in an interview.

About the icons/silhouettes, I'm certain that you have to tag the enemies in your binocs in order for that to happen. SO it is optional.

I think the UI reminds me of FC1. But, yeah, it is not elegant by any means. The threat indicator's though make me a very happy person.

EDIT: SIDE NOTE: Has anyone ever noticed that most of the things we eat are shades of brown?

This game could be good if it is moddable. Remove all those shitty UI elements, tweak some stuff here and there to unconsolize it... yeah, then it could be pretty darn good. I doubt it will be moddable though.

i don't approve of either when it's so ridiculously over the top, that was my point. my distaste is toward the laziness of going from one end of the spectrum to the other. it's like someone using a contrast tool in photoshop except it's only going from one end to the other with nothing in between.

HERP HERP

What's funny is that Far Cry 3 isn't even all that vibrant compared to other games like Unreal Tournament 2004 or Mirror's Edge (that used ultra bright prime colors everywhere) or the Borderlands series. So if anything Far Cry 3 has only a slightly more saturated color palette than a realistic one.

Your argument that games are going from one end of the spectrum to the other is false. There are plenty that would fit in either category whether it's "brown", middle ground, or saturated. My only explanation is that you and me probably have a different definition to what constitutes a "brown" game, and what constitutes a "saturated" game.

Also, you think using a saturated color palette is lazy? What's really lazy to me is washing out an entire scene with the same color through the use of filters. Example Skyrim screenshots in a snowy environment where everything HAS to be a shade of blue. Now that's lazy.

Bottom line, even if Far Cry 3 was the exact opposite in aesthetic terms to "brown" shooters, it's perfectly fine. God forbid a game developer make a game that doesn't happen to appeal to you.

This game happens to have many different style environments, and will probably have gamma/brightness options in which you can change to your liking. Having distaste towards this sort of thing seems odd. The game looks mostly green, brown and blue, even if there is an obvious blue tint overlaying it in the videos. Most TVs and Monitors have color settings in which you can change the entire tint anyways... Perhaps I'm not really sure what you are complaining about. From what I've seen this game looks gorgeous.

at what point did i say such games didn't exist? i wasn't talking about gaming palettes on the whole whatsoever because i have little to no interest in getting into such as subjective subject. i was speaking out against extreme cases where the game is either a) overblown in saturation or b) completely dampened and dulled in dullness which you obviously do acknowledge when you lump titles into categories like brown, middle ground and saturated. yes, skyrim is one of those games at the brown end of the spectrum. i'll call far cry 3 one of the games at the other end of the spectrum and whilst you're so happily assisting me with examples, sure, i'll add unreal 2004 and mirrors edge to that end, too. thanks!

what's funny is that far cry 3 is actually a game that appeals to me. i just don't dig the bright, primary colours because as i said, when i'm going to be skinning a goat or setting someone on fire i don't want to think that i'm on the same island(s) that super mario sunshine takes place on.

I think it's noteworthy that the videos wee console gameplay not PC. The PC will no doubt a much more advanced lighting system. A lot of games tend to look saturated on consoles because they can't support the full HDR so they use a sort of bloom technology and change the colors a bit. Then again I'm sure the gamma setting will change this up a bit.

hey guys

stop being great and listen

if you want to store more items/money in your inventory, you have to hunt more deadly animals for their hides

you wanna store a few more bucks? hunt a boar

you wanna store more great shit? hunt a lion

you want the max space for everything? you have to hunt a goddamned shark

I haven't had much care for this game before, but this just sounds baller as hell.

hey guys

stop being gay and listen

if you want to store more items/money in your inventory, you have to hunt more deadly animals for their hides

you wanna store a few more bucks? hunt a boar

you wanna store more gay shit? hunt a lion

you want the max space for everything? you have to hunt a goddamned shark

I haven't had much care for this game before, but this just sounds baller as hell.

can you please refrain from using the word gay as a derogatory term, please? i get it was pretty 'cool' to do so at some point but, you know, time has moved on and it's time to grow up a little now.

thanks.

can you please refrain from using the word gay as a derogatory term, please? i get it was pretty 'cool' to do so at some point but, you know, time has moved on and it's time to grow up a little now.

thanks.
Have you played games online or read Youtube comments lately? It's alive and well, I'm afraid. Back in my day, we had more than one adjective we'd use when trying to be derogatory. Man, have things changed.

i was talking more about the use of the word on this site, which i find at the least a bit more respectable than most chatlogs or comment sections on youtube.

I find it offensive that you inherently interpreted his comment as something derogatory. He probably meant "awesome shit" but just because he used the word gay you take it to mean something bad. I mean, Willie is pretty gay after all. And by "gay" I mean "accepting of the homosexuals."

sorry, but ''stop being gay'' is pretty offensive even if it was used in a completely bizarre context, which i find most usages when people say things like ''thats gay'' or ''you're gay lol'' - it's the usage of the word. i don't care if it was used in a lighthearted tone, or wasn't meant to be taken serious, but i cannot stand the use of the word as means of a swear, curse or negative connotation.

the bottom line is, ''stop being nitpicky ****s'' would of been far less offensive, personally. i just resent the way 'gay' is thrown around as a sort of cuss or descriptive term for someones behavior.

I'm pretty sure he's actually gay... Although, I just assumed that all of you were gay...

But back to the topic: I hope you can punch sharks in the face. Stabbing sharks seems unethical.

the bottom line is, ''stop being nitpicky ****s'' would of been far less offensive
Oh, so its ok to be offensive to ****s but not to gays? How about we compromise, and say "stop being gay ****s" so everyone is happily offended?

"Jason is the Call of Duty and sees an opportunity for a Medal of Honor so he heads out into the Battlefield to try and resolve the Crysis in Uncharted territory and it's kind of the Borderlands between the series."

Have to admit that I laughed pretty hard at that. I'm excited. The hair on my neck went up after they mentioned "enemy roadblocks" though.
Agreed, that was pretty good.

if i bypass the swear filter to explain what it is hiding behind those stars i will be bant :(

Agh god stop reloading demo guy. That is a six shooter. It has six shots in it. That means you can shoot it six times. Why are you doing this to me.

Colour palette doesn't look too horrendous to me (except the blood which looks 60s horror movie fake), I think the issue is that the textures are so muddy and washed out that it makes everything look a little... artificial. Or something. Muddy textures probably work better with greys n browns because they're more muted and don't stand out as much. Example: every Unreal engine game (except Unreal).

Side note: why and how would a GPS blocker block in square patches.

Just got done playing a bit of the Far Cry 3 Minecraft map (http://far-cry.ubi.com/fc-portal/en-US/minecraft/index.aspx) And I'm happy about it's appearance... I just got burnt out of Minecraft after I had spent over 20 hours getting all diamond gear and then died and lost all of it... If any of you still play Minecraft though, it is worth a try. Plenty of fun FC3 easter eggs, and there are teleportation pearls.

Also: I can't seem to get HTML or ezcode to work on here, for links, am I missing an extra step?

Eurogamer review - 10/10! I'm excited!

This will help wipe the tears away after expecting and not getting a proper Hitman title recently (didn't end up buying due to the reviews).

Apparently it lacks the annoyances of Far Cry 2 like respawning military checkpoints.

$35/$42 (Deluxe edition) at GMG with 30% off (GMG30-0S3NJ-32J92)

Far Cry 3 Intro

***** MINOR SPOILERS *****

Haven't loved an intro this much in a long, LONG time.

Have to say, Vaas has easily become probably the greatest villain in recent memory for me. Really can't get over how he just COMPLETELY steals the scenes he's in. UBISOFT have done a truly amazing job here.

He is so, SO well acted by Michael Mando. And I bloody love the way Jason is talking to himself in little ways, just the way most of us would. Going "Ohhhhhh shhhiit..." or "...Ohhhh god...." when sneaking around and letting out little sounds of worry, perfectly done.

And with the reviews pouring in saying its the greatest open world FPS around, yeah, day one purchase for me.

Weird considering I didnt give it a second look after the first gameplay video came out. Didn't look like much.

So...damn....good.

Yeah, since the disappointment of Hitman: Absolution (well, there were some cool parts), I've been looking more and more forward to Far Cry 3. I'd be more than happy to trade Hope, South Dakota for Rook Island. And, lo and behold! Conquering outposts actually serves the benefit of reducing enemy presence in the surrounding area. Malaria is but a distant memory as well.

Anyway, this game just seems rife with things to do, minus some of the annoyances of the second installment. I'll be purchasing this on day one.

EDIT:

A quick check of reviews confirms that this game is getting nearly unanimous praise (far as I can tell). Here's a round-up of reviews.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/379937/far-cry-3-review-round-up-ubi-shooter-gets-big-scores/

Back