Father Grigori... Rasputin?

Crane

Reaction score
I'm amazed I didn't pick up on the reference earlier, but I am wondering... considering all the myths and legends that surround the Russian mystic, is Father Grigori in Ravenholm actually Rasputin?

Consider this... both are called Father Grigori, both are Russian Orthodox Monks (or at least the in-game one is implied to be), both are somewhat crazy, and both have the uncanny ability to survive what should normally kill a human!

didnt know a lot about rasputin. . :looks on wikipedia:

interesting. . well spotted.

200px-Rasputin_pt.jpg

451px-%D0%93%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B9_%D0%A0%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BF%D1%83%D1%82%D0%B8%D0%BD_%281914-1916%29b.jpg

this is a freaky guy!

but yes really canny resemblance

Hah, I've been listening to that tune all night before you posted it here! It's surprisingly catchy.

In reality, Rasputin did indeed die in 1916, but there is a lot of myth and legend behind his abilities, life and especially his death... he was incredibly and unnaturally resilient during his assassination, and it only contributed to his apparent immortality and his subsequent appearances in media. The trouble is, due to unreliable statements from witnesses and the murderers, it is very hard to discern fact from fiction, and the Red October Revolution a few years later censored a lot of official documents too, including that of his autopsy.

Either way, it's fun to apparently see him helping out Gordon Freeman! It may not be Rasputin, of course, but the circumstances are suspicious!

P.S. Anastasia died too in reality.

In reality, Rasputin did indeed die in 1916, but there is a lot of myth and legend behind his abilities, life and especially his death... he was incredibly and unnaturally resilient during his assassination, and it only contributed to his apparent immortality and his subsequent appearances in media. The trouble is, due to unreliable statements from witnesses and the murderers, it is very hard to discern fact from fiction, and the Red October Revolution a few years later censored a lot of official documents too, including that of his autopsy.

It's believed that the explanation for him surviving the poisoning attempt was that he practiced mithridatism, though it still kind of screwed up his system afterwards. I also read somewhere that the report of him suddenly sitting up and scaring the shit out of everyone while they burned his body may have been a natural and common reaction caused by his tendons constricting when the amateur cremators didn't cut them beforehand v:

Also, goddamnit, I was gonna post Boney M :(

Isn't Rasputin a nazi in Hellboy or something equally daft?

"Doctor-Doctor Breen,
Pimping up C-17."

I've always had a theory that Father Grigori was the priest of Chocolat.

However, I don't mind the resemblance. Both chaps were pretty awesome.

Rasputin was in Hellboy.

That is all I have to say.

It's sort of the first time it has seriously come to my mind as well, but I'm sure I've made the connection before. That bastard Does. Not. Die.

At least Rasputin is on the side of good (sort of) this time, helping Freeman and blasting up zombies.

wait they were talkin bout this in the other thread...is rasputin the suit man or the bishop

Hmm. A crackpot believer with a Winchester rifle - the perfect solution to a Headcrab infestation, amirite?

n00bsl@yer, your sig makes me dizzy. But ya, Father Grigori uses a Winchester in the game. Though the sounds alocated were from the Spas 12.

For some reason I thought Grigori used an over-under double-barreled shotgun...it does have the cocking mechanic of a Winchester attached, though. It's very confusing.

I don't really think Grigori was influenced by Rasputin, personally.

Well one is really good at killing zombies and being a badass, and the other one IS a zombie.

i wouldnt be surpised at all if half life 2 had characters inspired by actual preexisting people.

Back