Films: Rate and Discuss

Role Models 8/10 - I'm not usually into the comedy movies that come out, but this one was pretty goddamn awesome. The LARPing in particular had me in stitches. Casting was kind of hit and miss, though.

yeah that was a good all around funny movie. my friend and i saw that and it was well worth the watch.

Taken (aliens and Spielberg version not the neeson shoot em up) 7/10

As much as i like Spielberg's work this Roswell/alien invasion mini series was kinda lame at some points and then really awesome in others. It would have been nicer if they cut out about 20% of the boring crap that didn't have anything to do with the plot but just slow talking and the ending was rather lame as well. The beginning of the series was the best part

City of God 7/10

Another movie I thought was going to be great and ended up being more of a jumble of characters like the movie Crash and just random shit going on. Some parts were nice, but overall this was just a rental and I'm glad i never made the move to buy it

Grrr I watched the first 20 minutes or so of Sweeney Todd and couldnt help but think it would be better if it WASNT a musical.

I mean, its not a ***king Disney film where they emphasise the situation through interperative song and dance...wait...

I dunno, I just hate the whole 'make them sing every line!' approach. Its an annoyance for me personally and obviously doesnt affect the brilliantness/rubbishness that the film is.

Just one of those 'my personal opinion' things I guess.

I think Whedon has proved that there's nothing inherently wrong with musicals. It's just that many are shit, like Cats and West Side Story, which can be off-putting.

Which reminds me: why hasn't there been a children's animated version of Les Mis?

Just one of those 'my personal opinion' things I guess.

Ehh, I thought the same. I still don't understand why people go ape shit over Tim Burton; his movies are merely okay. And Sweeny would have been better not as a musical. Musicals work in live action productions so much better, in movies they're just awkward.

Public Enemy 6/10

Letters pretty much said it all. I was highly anticipating a lot more bank robberies and more depth into Dillinger. It was overall an average movie imo.

Transformers 2 4/10

My god was this movie awful. The script was just so damn shitty. The ****ing annoying characters and the jokes they made. They always cut off from the main plot for some irritating conversation that wasn't funny at all. The acting, I'll admit, wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The story really didn't make sense to me really. Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention, but it was hard to understand.

Battle Royale - 8/10
I was drunk, I had corn chips and salsa, I was watching it with a good friend - it was hilarious and excellent. The teacher was by far the best character. We came up with excellent nicknames for all of them because we couldn't tell them apart. The Three Musketeers, Bandana Dan and The Whiny Bitches, Ms. Stabby, and of course Grouchy McKillsalot. Hilarious, violent, ridiculous, exploitative. Good times.

The Edukators - 7/10
This movie felt like it could have had a lot more. The whole concept of what the main characters are doing (breaking in to people's houses and rearranging everything, then leaving a note something along the lines of 'You have too much money') was very cool, but you only saw it happen once and it wasn't a particularly good example. The movie focused more on the three main characters, but they never really resonated with me at all and the whole thing felt slightly superficial. That said, it was very interesting, and the twists kept me interested.

Indiana Jones and the Fourth Indiana Jones Movie - 5/10
Watched this while buzzing from last night and unable to fall asleep. It's not great. There are aliens. I dunno, it was still reasonably classic Indiana Jones action, and it hit the spot at the time. Plus the ants were cool. Five means average.

RAMBO III 9/10

got this bluray for $10 and surprisingly it looks amazing for being a slightly older title. Lionsgate did the rework I believe and it came out really nice, could barely tell its 21 years old. but the action was good, the story was neat and watching all the Afghans talk about their country should be a testament to what will happen if we meddle any longer over there. THE AFGHANS HAVE NEVER LOST A SINGLE WAR....HANDS DOWN PROBABLY THE BEST DEFENSIVE FIGHTERS IN THE WORLD. sorry to go off on a rant but thats how i feel on the whole war over there.

also, come on people watch some better movies!!!

Transformers 2 - 4/10

This was a pretty bad film.

The first hour is completely abysmal film-making save for the opening fight, that was good enough. Everything from there until the forest fight was godawful. The forest fight fortunately showed that Bay seems to have learnt something from making the original and there he actually allows his audience enough of a view to see the fight this time. For that lone sequence, the film is worth watching and for a few minutes you're left thinking "Hey, this film might actually be good now".

Unfortunately the majority of the second half of the film is spent swirling around in circles dramatically while people/robots talk, and when the action finally comes, it's overwhelmed by bad direction and melodrama.

I feel terrible for the studio's behind the CGI in this film. They have done such brilliant work and so much of that is ruined because of Bay's inability to direct a decent action scene. I completely and thoroughly believe that with the same budget, I could make a better film from the same script. I know its incredibly arrogant to say but I swear to god I could.

The fact that Steven Spielberg called Bay up himself and asked him to direct Transformers, shows that he has lost his ****ing mind and can no longer be trusted with any of his long-loved franchises. Indiana Jones 5 is going to be ****ing terrible.

Indiana Jones 5 is going to be ****ing terrible.

What?!

I can see it now... Indiana Jones 5 - The son of Indiana Jones :x

Dawn of the Dead 8/10 (the remake)

Saw this for the first time a few days ago. Never been a fan of the whole Zombie genre, but after playing Left 4 Dead and giving this movie a shot, it's starting to grow on me.

It's a good B grade movie, I really enjoyed it. As far as the gore is concerned, it is very graphic but in my opinion they didn't go so over the top that it becomes laughable. The acting is decent, the Zombie makeup effects are very well done, and for such a simplistic plot it was overall an enjoyable movie. Also playing Left 4 Dead before seeing this movie, I was amused to see how much the creators of that game drew their inspiration this movie. For example the fuel canisters which they blow up by shooting at them.

I watched the Battle Royale film too, immediately after finishing the book. Just fun to watch and even after reading the book still disturbing watching 15 year olds kill each other.

Battle Royale - 8/10
I was drunk, I had corn chips and salsa, I was watching it with a good friend - it was hilarious and excellent. The teacher was by far the best character. We came up with excellent nicknames for all of them because we couldn't tell them apart. The Three Musketeers, Bandana Dan and The Whiny Bitches, Ms. Stabby, and of course Grouchy McKillsalot. Hilarious, violent, ridiculous, exploitative. Good times.

The Edukators - 7/10
This movie felt like it could have had a lot more. The whole concept of what the main characters are doing (breaking in to people's houses and rearranging everything, then leaving a note something along the lines of 'You have too much money') was very cool, but you only saw it happen once and it wasn't a particularly good example. The movie focused more on the three main characters, but they never really resonated with me at all and the whole thing felt slightly superficial. That said, it was very interesting, and the twists kept me interested.

What sort of rating scale is this, just "KA's enjoyment" or are you actually trying to objectively rate how "good" the movie is? BR is an entertaining film but has absolutely no depth to it, while Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei has plenty of depth and is overall a much better movie in terms of cinematography, message, directing and acting talent, and writing, even if the characters didn't resonate with you (although they resonated very much with me). I give BR a 6/10 and The Edukators a 8.5/10 (in terms of enjoyment, 7/10 and 9/10 respectively). I love the fervor of the latter film and while I enjoy seeing Asian teenagers kill each other with exotic weapons it doesn't remotely compare to the cinematic artistry of The Edukators.

Public Enemies - 8/10

Excellent film, I absolutely loved Depp as Dillinger, and Bale predictably nailed the part of Purvis, the cold, hard, competent G-man. This film was wildly stylish and had the best bank robbery scenes of any movie I've ever seen - car chases with gangsters and G-men alike hanging out of car doors while spraying each other with Thompson bullets, excellent violence, good writing. The movie could have been better, in the sense that it was not without its flaws. More character development on the part of Purvis would have been nice, and the plot felt somewhat rushed and/or disjointed at times. Overall though I loved this movie and highly recommend it to fans of Depp and 30s gangsters.

Just scrap the ****ing numbers and say whether you enjoyed it or not, it will be obvious what the poster thinks of the movie and numbers just confuse things because they mean different things to different people

What sort of rating scale is this, just "KA's enjoyment" or are you actually trying to objectively rate how "good" the movie is?
Attempting to decide exactly how 'good' a film is only makes you seem arrogant. I don't have anything near the experience or knowledge to objectively rate films. Clearly I'm rating how much I enjoyed them. This thread isn't necessarily about facts, it's about experiences.

BR is an entertaining film but has absolutely no depth to it, while Die fetten Jahre sind vorbei has plenty of depth and is overall a much better movie in terms of cinematography, message, directing and acting talent, and writing. While I enjoy seeing Asian teenagers kill each other with exotic weapons it doesn't remotely compare to the cinematic artistry of The Edukators.

Cinematic artistry? I'm not so sure about that.
The Edukators is for sure a better film, yes, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed watching Battle Royale.

Anyway I watched Sunshine and man oh man that was pretty excellent! The one fault I would find with it would be how formulaic it is - let's save the earth, oh no we're dying one by one, I'll sacrifice myself for the mission, yay we did it but now we're all dead. The acting was of a pretty high standard, the score was excellent, and there were some rather stunning CG shots. Good recommendation :thumbs:

Attempting to decide exactly how 'good' a film is only makes you seem arrogant. I don't have anything near the experience or knowledge to objectively rate films. Clearly I'm rating how much I enjoyed them. This thread isn't necessarily about facts, it's about experiences.
A few things. One, arrogance is quite prevalent here on Halflife2.net. Two, plenty of people here (Samon comes to mind in particular, but also me to a lesser extent) rate films based more on their artistry / talent than how much we enjoyed them, although the latter is still a deciding factor, particularly because film snobs like us get enjoyment from beautifully executed cinematography and the like. Three, don't get snippy at me for asking an innocent question :p

Cinematic artistry? I'm not so sure about that.
The Edukators is for sure a better film, yes, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed watching Battle Royale.
Well The Edukators being a better film is all I was making a case for, since you rated it lower than BR. I also happened to enjoy it more because I have a certain amount of wannabe revolutionary fervor that it addresses, which is more powerful than my "oh sweet violence/gore/japanese kids" enthusiasm (which is still big!).

Anyway I watched Sunshine and man oh man that was pretty excellent! The one fault I would find with it would be how formulaic it is - let's save the earth, oh no we're dying one by one, I'll sacrifice myself for the mission, yay we did it but now we're all dead. The acting was of a pretty high standard, the score was excellent, and there were some rather stunning CG shots. Good recommendation :thumbs:[/FONT]
YES YES YES. Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans (Trey) were both particularly fantastic, and so was Cliff Curtis (Searle). Also despite being incredibly formulaic it was of far higher quality and implementation than formulaic movies generally are, proving the reason for the formula. Think about similar style films like Armageddon or Deep Impact, they're way less awesome. Without all the Captain Pinbacker stuff, Sunshine would be a solid 10/10 for me.

don't get snippy at me for asking an innocent question :p
SNAPPY? YOU WANT SNAPPY BITCH YOU CAN'T HANDLE SNAPPY I wasn't really being snappy it's just I don't wanna be like 'this movie is an 8 out of 10 movie' because the last thread went downhill as **** due to stuff like that.

YES YES YES. Cillian Murphy and Chris Evans (Trey) were both particularly fantastic, and so was Cliff Curtis (Searle). Also despite being incredibly formulaic it was of far higher quality and implementation than formulaic movies generally are, proving the reason for the formula. Think about similar style films like Armageddon or Deep Impact, they're way less awesome. Without all the Captain Pinbacker stuff, Sunshine would be a solid 10/10 for me.

Yeah that was slightly weird it was like 'here's a new antagonist because the movie was too subtle and excellent beforehand so we've got to make it a bit more obvious'. HOWEVER the bit where Icarus is like 'there are five crew members' and he's like 'who is the fifth crew member' and it's like 'Unknown' gave me chills man that was intense shit.

Public Enemies - 8/10

Excellent film, I absolutely loved Depp as Dillinger, and Bale predictably nailed the part of Purvis, the cold, hard, competent G-man. This film was wildly stylish and had the best bank robbery scenes of any movie I've ever seen - car chases with gangsters and G-men alike hanging out of car doors while spraying each other with Thompson bullets, excellent violence, good writing. The movie could have been better, in the sense that it was not without its flaws. More character development on the part of Purvis would have been nice, and the plot felt somewhat rushed and/or disjointed at times. Overall though I loved this movie and highly recommend it to fans of Depp and 30s gangsters.
I'm glad to hear you liked it, I've heard mostly bad things from others.

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone seems to think it's so lackluster. Sure it could have used some more filling out, but it was like 2 hours 30-45 minutes already, any longer would have been ridiculous.

Whould you or Samon rate a movie 10/10 if you didn't enjoy it? Maybe it's a goddamn cinematic masterpiece but you just don't like it. Whould you rate it a high number then? Hm?

I think not.

RAMBO III 9/10

the story was neat and watching all the Afghans talk about their country should be a testament to what will happen if we meddle any longer over there. THE AFGHANS HAVE NEVER LOST A SINGLE WAR....HANDS DOWN PROBABLY THE BEST DEFENSIVE FIGHTERS IN THE WORLD. sorry to go off on a rant but thats how i feel on the whole war over there.

Not to make this another war argument, but you do realise that the war is against the taliban and al qaeda, not the Afghan people, this is 2009 not the 1980s.

BUT ANYWAY:

Dirty Harry 9/10
the only decent movie slint made. should have been seagal but hey...
still an awesome movie, with great quotes.

You are joking, right? Seagal as Dirty Harry would be an abomination.

Dirty Harry 9/10

Thems fightin' words.
bonbrutetruandcoll34.jpg

(But really, you got to at least give it up for The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Oh, and he's got 4 Oscars to boot.)

Not to make this another war argument, but you do realise that the war is against the taliban and al qaeda, not the Afghan people, this is 2009 not the 1980s.

BUT ANYWAY:

Dirty Harry 9/10
still an awesome movie, with great quotes.

Bullshit.

Milk 9/10
Well this was marvelous. An excellent telling of a life that could've been easily jumbled up and ruined. Compelling and believable all the way through.

Psycho 8/10
Amazingly thrilling, given how little happens. Very well put together for back then, and **** you if the very end doesn't give you chills.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 9/10

Love this movie and its a shame its only my second watch. I'm trying to rewatch them all before the new one comes out in a few weeks. The entire series is amazing and I know a lot of people that though the series was dumb until they actually sat down and watched it.

Bullshit.

You, Sir, are confused.

Belly of the Beast 10/10
hell yes. it has it all: kidnapped child; confused monk who doesnt want to kill but ends
up slaughtering half a battalion; crazed asian man/woman; mental kung-fu army
general bad guy; random naked girl who pours water on herself while naked to
show an invisible tattoo; and of course, Seagal himself, ex-CIA, pissed off because
someone nicked his daughter, he kicks ass, shoots people and basically kills half
the country.
it doesnt get better than this.

Whould you or Samon rate a movie 10/10 if you didn't enjoy it? Maybe it's a goddamn cinematic masterpiece but you just don't like it. Whould you rate it a high number then? Hm?

I think not.

This is a silly question, I pretty much always enjoy movies that are "goddamn cinematic masterpieces". But I suppose, no, if I just couldn't like it for some reason I wouldn't give it a 10/10. The thing is that I generally appreciate the elements of film that would make one a cinematic masterpiece so this isn't much of an issue.

Public Enemies - 5/10

Bleh. It was pretty disappointing.

There didn't really seem to be any character development at all, at no point did I give a shit about any of the characters whatsoever. It was almost two and a half hours long and it still felt rushed, it just kind of wandered from place to place without fleshing anything out.

And while I'm probably one of the few that cares, I just can't ****ing stand the look of HD video. I don't know why this was shot in digital, it just gives the whole thing an amateurish look and feel – especially when the camera pans or there’s things moving about the scene quickly. Something about the motion blur and stupid shakycam just felt really distracting and out of place, especially in a period piece like this. At times it was like watching a low-budget TV reconstruction or something. Some scenes almost looked like raw production footage, the stuff you’d see on the small preview screens for the director as they're filming. I guess Mann just sucks these days. Collateral was alright, but he really hasn’t done anything good since The Insider.

Anyhow - all that crap aside, there were still some good moments in there. As you’d expect the shootouts were all really well done, and you can appreciate the ton of work put into the costumes, set design and whatever else to try and recreate the 30’s. Not a terrible film, probably better than most of the shit that’s on - but I didn’t think it was anywhere near as good as some have cracked it up to be.

This is a silly question, I pretty much always enjoy movies that are "goddamn cinematic masterpieces". But I suppose, no, if I just couldn't like it for some reason I wouldn't give it a 10/10. The thing is that I generally appreciate the elements of film that would make one a cinematic masterpiece so this isn't much of an issue.

Well... Carry on then.

Gran Torino Sparta's a bitch/10

Who the **** wrote this? The dialogue is ****ing cringeworthy, none of the characters are even the least bit believable. I am upset by how bad this was.

Edit: What the ****, you call that a ****ing ending?

The Hangover: 6/10

Terribly overrated, at least the premise was more or less rather new. I liked the story, but I think there was a lot untouched. They sure had the "lol what" moments down with the seemingly randomness of the events of the movie. It's funny, but it gets tiring after awhile. The get major points for the credits, though; dunno how that got by with a R rating.

Gran Torino 6/10

Who the **** wrote this? The dialogue is ****ing cringeworthy, none of the characters are even the least bit believable. I am upset by how bad this was.

Edit: What the ****, you call that a ****ing ending?

6/10

6/10

6/10

6/10

Why do people do this?

You don't see critics wail on a film and then give it 3 stars out of 5.

Yeah I know everyone rates differently, but films are not games so stop rating them like they are

Meh, I gave Transformers 2 8/10 for having like 20 minutes of highly entertaining robot bashing, so if I gave this much lower my rating system will have lost all its integrity (though it pretty much already has). Just read the damn words.

Meh, I gave Transformers 2 8/10 for having like 20 minutes of highly entertaining robot bashing, so if I gave this much lower my rating system will have lost all its integrity (though it pretty much already has). Just read the damn words.

According to my list of rules, that makes you kind of a dummy.

How can that make me a dummy if I know that it's a godawful, piece of trash movie?

Based off of my enjoyment of 1/5 of it.

Back