Films: Rate and Discuss

Transformers 2 gets 3 of 5 Corp. Sheeops

Yeah, I don't pretend they do. My #/10 scores only mean anything if they're not followed by a shitload of words. And they typically are.

Edit: @ Yorick

****in loooooooool

Look man, if you don't enjoy watching Optimus Prime kick ass in a forest with ****ing swords, that's your problem. Don't hate on me.

I assume this thread is also open up to TV shows as well. anyway I'm about halfway through the first season of Californication and the show is absolutely amazing right now. A bee stung my foot today so I couldn't walk around much and just pouring shots while watching this great show makes the feeling even better. that and at age 25 my wisdom teeth are still poking through my gums now and it was very painful. But yeah check out this show if you can, its on Netflix so if you have an xbox 360 give it a whirl

Fringe Season 1 9/10

Amazing show and right from the get go I knew I'd like it. My friend and I took a small break from the show but when we came back to it we watched it all in one piece. It keeps getting progressively better and better. can't wait till Sept when more episodes come out

Californication Season 1 9/10

Watched this in 2 nights and it was highly enjoyable. very funny show with a lot of adult humor. give it a shot

The Good Son
7.5/10

Have not seen this for a long time until recently. I remember it always gave me an awkward feeling when I was a kid.

Eagle Eye - ****ing EPIC/10

10/10

I ****ing loved that movie.

Point Break 6/10

An almost 20 year old movie with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swatze and it involves bank robberies and surfing. it made no sense logically and the ending was rather lame.

Twlight 10/10

yeah so i saw it last night with my girlfriend and yeah its amazing!

Oh wow I remember that movie. I felt similarly in regards to it.

That movie disturbed the living shit out of me when I was younger, especially the bolt scene with the dog. :(

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - 8.5/10...
Love this movie.
Hilarious and damn intriguing.

I love Strangelove. I wrote a 13 page analysis of it for an intro to film course I took.

Nevermind.

1408 - 6/10

Not a bad film. It was good for what it was and it held my attention the entire time. Didn't really scare or thrill me though, which is a shame. John Cusack and Samuel L Jackson were good.

Point Break 6/10

An almost 20 year old movie with Keanu Reeves and Patrick Swatze and it involves bank robberies and surfing. it made no sense logically and the ending was rather lame.

Ah, the film The Fast and the Furious ripped off to create a shitty version with cars instead of surfboards.

Also Point Break had Gary Busey!

That movie disturbed the living shit out of me when I was younger, especially the bolt scene with the dog. :(

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - 8.5/10...
Love this movie.
Hilarious and damn intriguing.

I love Strangelove. I wrote a 13 page analysis of it for an intro to film course I took.

I love both of you significantly more now.

Eagle Eye - ****ing EPIC/10

10/10

I ****ing loved that movie.

Hell yea!

LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring/Two Towers/Return of the Jed.. King - 9/10

Why do people say these movies suck? I think they are awesome! The only ONE thing I don't like is how they give all kinds of backstory of Aragorn, but none on Gimli or Legolas. They seem a million times more interesting than Aragorn, yet he gets all the spot light :hmph:

Eagle Eye: 6.5/10

It was on HBO and I was bored.

Honestly, it wasn't all that bad. It took a bit for the movie to get started, the beginning being mostly dumb. After the initial story (unneeded), it picked up pace and kept moving until about half way where to started to wear thin. Up until then, I guess it was a little believable and it was a neat story line to have, but after awhile it got tiresome. It was brainless but had quite a bit action and, well, at least I didn't turn it off have way through like I thought I was going to. I guess when you go in with the assumption that the movie is a total shitfest, you can't help but to be a little impressed that it wasn't.

Why do people say these movies suck? I think they are awesome! The only ONE thing I don't like is how they give all kinds of backstory of Aragorn, but none on Gimli or Legolas. They seem a million times more interesting than Aragorn, yet he gets all the spot light :hmph:

Aragorn had a destiny, the others didn't. But, I agree. They are fantastic.

I love LotR, can't really say the same for the dreadfully over bloated books though.

UP: 9.5/10

More than any other Pixar movie, this isn't just a really good kids film, it's just a great film period. Granted it is definitely a fantasy film (weird creatures, talking dogs, etc), but it is clear right from the beginning that the focus is on it's characters and not on wild spectacles that will keep kids interested. It is the sort of build-up and follow through on plot that absolutely requires a set of writers and director as strong as the team at Pixar, otherwise is wouldn't hold anyone's interest. The amount of craft that went into this film is just astounding, with every aspect seeming both above and beyond what was necessary, while being seemingly effortless.

I was also very impressed by the surprising amount of emotional depth that was present in UP. It doesn't just hit the high-and-low notes of a standard animated picture, but instead has some surprisingly subtle and nuanced points to make on old age and loss. And it is obvious just a few minutes into the film that it is unafraid to pull any punches, but it also never succumbs to melodrama or preachiness. This is a damn fine showing from one of the best pools of talent in the industry, and I gleefully await whatever they're going to try next.

(PS: Thats it, no more talking dogs. Pixar found the one good use/character for them, and it's done, so no more. I'm looking at you Dreamworks.)

Airplane - 7/10

Funny but considering this is a comedy classic I expected more. Even in the context of this silly movie some jokes were just a little too silly and too many were just cut aways to visual puns (like pouring the lights on the runway) :|

Californication Season 2 8/10

Not as good as the first season but almost just as funny. This show is something I've never really seen before and I love the originality behind it. Also I think the creators must have smoked/snorted a lot of shit in their young adult lives

Harry Potter and the Sixth Harry Potter Movie and the Half Blood Prince.

This film gets a 7 out of 10

This is an alright adaptation of a book with very little action. The main actors unfortunately seem to be stuck in the same-old roles and facial expressions and oh ho ho look at that Ron Weasley, what a lark. The story seemed to move in quite a jerky fashion, with long periods of nothing but teen drama and then a sudden burst of action all at once. Things were left out, but not to the detriment of the film. Michael Gambon is also growing on me after I watched The Singing Detective, and his Dumbledore is excellent and eccentric. These films do seem to be getting better, which is good. Don't bother with the 3D, it's about five minutes at the beginning and that's all.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

8.5/10

I had not seen this since I was about ten years old, forgot how good this movie was. It's actually much more of a film for adults, which is why my seven year old brother probably found it to be boring.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

8.5/10

I had not seen this since I was about ten years old, forgot how good this movie was. It's actually much more of a film for adults, which is why my seven year old brother probably found it to be boring.

Good lord I love that movie. And considering when it came out, it's still pretty amazing with how perfectly meshed the cartoon and reality is. What knocked off points for you?

The Manster - 8/10

I've been wanting to watch this movie since I saw it at the video rental store about a year ago (only available on VHS), but no one would watch it with me so I never got the chance. Turns out this movie is old enough to be public domain and freely downloadable from the Internet Archive. The title comes from "man" + "monster" (NOT "man" + "hamster," unfortunately) It's about a reporter in Japan who meets a scientist who injects him with enzymes that eventually transform him into a two-headed monster.

This film definitely made me laugh at several parts. It was entertaining and not too long (unlike Soylent Green, which I expected to be hilarious but was actually pretty boring). Recommended if you like old, cheesy, cliched sci-fi/horror movies.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

8.5/10

Yeah that movie was great, totally original and engaging. I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to forget the last scene, since I think it kinda traumatized me as a kid as I was watching it in the theater. Christopher Lloyd can be really creepy and psychotic when he wants to be.

SPOILERS BELOW

UP: 8.5/10 - I think Pixar's same emotional formula is starting to become overused in their movies. I'm talking about the montage in this movie between the husband and wife before she dies. I felt like I saw the exact same thing in Toy Story 2, where the kid plays with the doll and lose interests so the doll ends up all alone just like the old man. I'm just pointing this out because it seems Pixar does this to make us sympathize with the old man and the doll. Similarly I think if you were to privately talk to a child's parents and hear that their kid was always psychically beaten up by bullies, you would instantly have sympathy for the child. Is that good character development you think? I actually think its kinda lazy on the writers part and plays on our emotions. But back on topic, I really liked the idea of the old man going on an adventure as though he has always been young at heart. What I didnt care much for was the randomness when the villain came into the story. Also Pixar creates magic by making a fat obese boy scout kid appear comical and cute at the same time. Then at the end we get the cliche Pixar ending, where the old man pins his wifes bottle cap on the boy scout kid. Yeah I admit I teared up at this, but I really dont think the old man would have done this. Still I was entertained by this movie overall, but to me its not a very memorable pixar film.

The International 7/10

Was a really good movie until the abrupt ending. did not like how it resulted. the gun scene was nice but this movie felt somewhat off in places and drawn out a bit too much. also just remembering a similar but different movie, Ronin....i really want to watch that movie. I let someone borrow it and they never gave it back....just i can't remember who because i saw stoned at the time

Death Proof 8.5/10

This movie caught me off guard. As a rule of thumb, I tend to avoid movies with Kurt Russell. He always seems to come off as the same character in movies (read: cannot act).

I was unaware that he acted in this movie but gave it a chance anyway when I saw him on the screen because of the enjoyment I have received from other QT movies. Turns out, he fit the role of Stuntman Mike quite well and really sold me on it. The story/premise was no less ridiculous than any other QT movie, but that is ok. The ending action (along with one particular dialogue) scene was a little too long and drawn out (even for a Tarantino movie) but was marvelous none-the-less.

Something I disliked about the movie was the removal of a scene. If you read the IMDB page, you'll notice a scene was removed where Mike was beating off in his crashed car after he killed the first group. It was removed because they thought it was obvious enough that he was sexually driven in his killings. I find this funny because, the only point (that I saw) where they hinted at this was when the two cops plainly said "I think he is sexually driven." The scene should have been left in the movie, as it would have been much more impacting without being extreme)

One last thing I found of interest in this movie -> the intro is 1/2 the length of the movie. You don't even meet the protagonist(s) until nearly half way into the movie. O_O He still pulled it off though. It's definitely the kind of movie that you can have a conversation about.

High: interesting premise and villain. Good action blended with a QT flair.

Lows: Some story elements are simply told to the viewer that could have been integrated otherwise in a much more artistic fashion. (Read spoilers for specifics... and spoilers.)

Overall, great flick.

Death Proof 8.5/10

This movie caught me off guard. As a rule of thumb, I tend to avoid movies with Kurt Russell. He always seems to come off as the same character in movies (read: cannot act).

I was unaware that he acted in this movie but gave it a chance anyway when I saw him on the screen because of the enjoyment I have received from other QT movies. Turns out, he fit the role of Stuntman Mike quite well and really sold me on it. The story/premise was no less ridiculous than any other QT movie, but that is ok. The ending action (along with one particular dialogue) scene was a little too long and drawn out (even for a Tarantino movie) but was marvelous none-the-less.

Something I disliked about the movie was the removal of a scene. If you read the IMDB page, you'll notice a scene was removed where Mike was beating off in his crashed car after he killed the first group. It was removed because they thought it was obvious enough that he was sexually driven in his killings. I find this funny because, the only point (that I saw) where they hinted at this was when the two cops plainly said "I think he is sexually driven." The scene should have been left in the movie, as it would have been much more impacting without being extreme)

One last thing I found of interest in this movie -> the intro is 1/2 the length of the movie. You don't even meet the protagonist(s) until nearly half way into the movie. O_O He still pulled it off though. It's definitely the kind of movie that you can have a conversation about.

High: interesting premise and villain. Good action blended with a QT flair.

Lows: Some story elements are simply told to the viewer that could have been integrated otherwise in a much more artistic fashion. (Read spoilers for specifics... and spoilers.)

Overall, great flick.

I rated that movie like a 2/10. At most. It was seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Half of it is some idiot women talking about God ****ing knows what, and the other half is a pretty terrible car chase with Kurt Russell, who arguably should have stopped acting after The Thing. I ordinarily find Tarantino's films masturbatory, but still amusing or at least engaging. This one was just shit all around.

It's pretty funny that we had the exact same negatives towards the movie. Apparently they were deal-breakers for you. To each his own. :)

I rated that movie like a 2/10. At most. It was seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Half of it is some idiot women talking about God ****ing knows what, and the other half is a pretty terrible car chase with Kurt Russell, who arguably should have stopped acting after The Thing. I ordinarily find Tarantino's films masturbatory, but still amusing or at least engaging. This one was just shit all around.

Yeah I'm with you on that. Although, I'd surmise that the first half of Death Proof (the bar scene and the first murders) is tolerable and the second half is just Tarantino jerking it over cars and car chases from other great films. I just think it's bad storytelling from a guy who is usually very good at it.

Back