Films: Rate and Discuss

UP- 8/10
One of Pixar's finer works imo. Before going to see this movie I refused to watch any trailer except for the teatrical one to get myself hyped up, so I had bascially no idea what the movie was about when I went to go see it.

Spoilers
As odd as it may seem, aside from Carl, my favorite character was Ellie, and I'm not just talking about before she died. Through the movie I saw the house and all of the Knick-knacks within as representations of Ellie and I got worried whenever the house was threatened, because to me, it was Carl's beloved wife. Unfortunately, it wasn't totally perfect. It felt a little too much like it was taking things from other Pixar movies, like the Black and White opening (Incredibles), and the silent romantic montage (Wall-e). This, instead of being a plus, made the film a little less compelling.
End spoilers

Like all Pixar movies, it had good humor and a very original story, but the parts that stood out for me were the dramatic parts between characters, which were more powerful than those in past Pixar movies.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 7/10

way to butcher a books true form! there was much more fun and excitement in the book, plus not to mention, more bright scenes. I'm kinda upset they focused on the love side of the book and not the everyday activities that were fun and exciting like in the previous books/movies. other than that the movie was pretty decent. i just really hated how the ending scenes played out, which were really lame and weak compared to the books ending

^ I haven't seen HBP yet but I'll probably end up seeing it with my family. I'm guessing it's gonna be filled with a bunch of teenage angst/ romantic crap, so I'm not really looking forward to it. Plus Ron is a Prick.

All Tomorrow's Parties

This film (documentary) was absolutely amazing. Definitely the best documentary I've ever seen, focusing less on cheesy interviews and instead simply wandering around the sonic madness that is ATP. No BoC footage, but Belle & Sebastian, Sonic Youth, Akron/Family, Battles, Portishead (Carry On gave me chills), Iggy and the Stooges, Nick Cave, Animal Collective, Mogwai, Grizzly Bear, The Gossip, Slint, and (HOLY **** MAN) GZA.
Incredible music, some outstanding performances, all against the surreal backdrop of British holiday camps. Made a split second decision to see it while at home twenty minutes before, and I'm so glad I did.

That looks really interesting.
Read about the dolphin situation(I think Hayden Panettiere was involved in it) some time last year though, I was truly appalled.

Knowing: 8/10

Kept my interest because I love movies having to do with the apocalypse. What is it with movies with Nicholas Cage starring as an intellectual lately? Both National Treasures and now this.

SPOILER ALERT!!!
Anyways, I'd bet this movie stirred up a whole lot of debate between the scientific and religious communities since it basically seemed to make angels nothing more than extra-terrestrials, what with their spaceships and all, and they looked a bit like the aliens at the end of the movie A.I. too.

Also, They used the whole solar flare thing to make the problem seem that much more impossible to solve instead of a meteor apocalypse probably to advert any possible debate to whether or not with our current technology we could just blast a meteor out of space, thus adverting the second coming.

BTW, were spoiler tags scrapped recently? Either I'm just very tired or I can't find them anymore.

Revolver 9/10

Truly amazing movie! I think this is my favorite Jason Statham film so far. Do not read anything about the plot, it will diminish the coolness of the movie, just watch it! If you liked Guy Richie films in the past you'll love this one. also watch the little bit after the ending credits.

Night Watch
2/10

After 40 minutes we turned it off, complete rubbish.
Can't believe how many people liked this film.

Well i saw it yesterday at the Melbourne International Film Festival and the director said that its getting a limited release in the U.S. soon.

Well i saw it yesterday at the Melbourne International Film Festival and the director said that its getting a limited release in the U.S. soon.

cool. if this was available at my local theater i'd see it with a friend

The Pink Panter(2006)
7/10

Not a good movie, but it constantly kept me laughing which is enough for a comedy.

Anyways, I'd bet this movie stirred up a whole lot of debate between the scientific and religious communities since it basically seemed to make angels nothing more than extra-terrestrials, what with their spaceships and all
Yes, I'm sure all the bishops and professors will be driven into fierce discussion over a second-rate Nic Cage movie.

Thirst - 8/10

Park Chan-wook's (Oldboy, Vengeance Trilogy) new vampire film about a priest who becomes a vampire after a blood transfusion. It's a great take on a tired genre and it's got a great sense of sadistically dark humour. It is however a little too long at 2 hours and 20 minutes, and I believe i counted five acts in the film so that's bound to irritate some people.

None the less, it's quite an unique and enjoyable film.

Also, I was tempted to rate it 9/10 so other forumers would see it simply because some people on this forum think that 6 or 7/10 makes a bad film. Then I realised those people are morons so **** 'em.

Night Watch
2/10

After 40 minutes we turned it off, complete rubbish.
Can't believe how many people liked this film.

Yeah I don't know why, but I hated the first film and decided to rent the second one as well. Even though I really hated the first film. The second one is even worse. You really can't comprehend how bad it is until you see it. It's not even so-bad-its-good. It just sucks

midnight express 9/10

Brilliant movie, it's very tense and it will always leave you guessing as to what happens next. It's like a better version of shawshank redemption. It's amazing to think this is based on a true story when you see what happens to the main character O_O

BTW young John Hurt is awesome :D

The Iron Giant: 10/10

This movie continues to have the innate ability to make me cry like a little girl.

I honestly don't know what I can say about it that I already haven't stated in this thread. It's magical, emotional, touching and ultimately human. The animation style, a mix of traditional and computer, work flawlessly together. Hogarth is adorable and the supporting cast provides superb voice acting. The first half is whimsical in the relationship between Dean, Hogarth and the giant while the second half packs an emotional wallop.

There are only two movies I give 10/10s and the other one I might reconsider.

I never liked The Iron Giant that much. Probably partly because I was hoping it would be like the book, which I was a big fan of for years before they even thought of making a film of it with a butchered story.

I remember watching the Iron Giant (I was just barely not a little kid anymore when it came out) and thinking "meh". Haven't seen it since probably 2000 though.

I've been wanting to pick up the book for the longest time. I could easily order it online, but finding it in the book store is a little bit more special.

The Hurt Locker 8/10

For some reason (I'm not sure why) I thought this had yet to come out. As films about war go, its pretty tense stuff (following the days of a bomb disposal team in Iraq), coupled with a realistic brutality to the violence not in terms of sensationalism, but more in terms of the simple mundaneness of who lives and who dies in a conflict situation. There are only a couple of plays in it where it becomes obvious what the outcome is going to be, but otherwise its not preachy. Good stuff and a stellar performance by the cast. Worth a look see.

Valkrye (or however the hell you spell it) - 8/10

Only just got around to seeing this. Very enjoyable, was pinned the screen throughout, utterly amazes me how brave those officers were, that someone inside the ranks had the guts to stand up to Hitler, very impressive line up of actors really, and couldn't very many faults. Good show.

Sin City 8/10

Pretty damn great. The style and action and music blended over so well. The stories went together excellently for having so little to do with each other. Enjoyed this a lot. I'm interested in reading the books, are they any good?

Sin City 8/10

Pretty damn great. The style and action and music blended over so well. The stories went together excellently for having so little to do with each other. Enjoyed this a lot. I'm interested in reading the books, are they any good?

The movie is pretty much word for word, scene for scene for the comics. Which is in no way a bad thing. I highly recommend them.

Ondskan - 9/10

Holy shit, this was amazing. Probably the best film I've seen this year.

You actually liked Ondskan? And Shift liked Valkyrie?

Well, first of, Im not doing this to flame you, im just gonna say why I dissagree.

Ondskan, is written by Guillou, who for the record is a big fat douche. Who claims, that Ondskan is based on a true story. His story.
This fact has been debunked by fellow students and his mother. Expected, if things really where that bad at the Guillou house, and if the students really acted that bad.
But Jan Guillou writes Eric Ponti to be some über-bad ass. Who just kicks everyones ass, like all the ****ing time. Shit, if you gave anyone a beating like he did in the begining of that movie, you'd go to jail. Period. Then I have seen video fotage of Jan when he was in his mid 20s. That's no Eric Ponti I'll tell you that. I just think it feels exaggerated, and the book is acually worse. He puts on a skimask and runs out in the woods, and beats the shit out of people.

But hey, it's rich kids getting their asses handed to them. So I guess it's allright. But I'd rate it 6/10 tops.

And about Valkyrie, come on. Even in this movie Tom Cruise manage to look like a pretentious douche.
I never thought I whould somehow hope the "evil" nazis whould win, but damn it with Tom Cruise with an eyepatch, I ****ing hoped Hitler whould survive and **** their shit up.
He has like one expretion in all his movies.
Tom-Cruise_795836c.jpg

Edit: I did like Minority Report and Tropic Thunder though. I'll give him that.

Coraline 8.5/10

amazing 3D movie that truly amazed. its a bit darker than i thought it would be but overall great film. i'm dying to actually see it in 2D though, because my eyes had a tough time adjusting to the 3D image. but when i saw it come in clearly it was very nice and the plot and characters was just great

Last Night - 7.5/10
Really enjoyable movie about the last several hours of the world (following a few people), which will end at midnight for some unexplained reason. Well written and the mounting tension as the movie nears the end is done wonderfully.

Kubrickfest. Four pizzas, seven people, seven hours.

Dr. Strangelove: 9/10
Continues to be one of my favorite movies. The content is as relevant today as it was in 1964 and Peter Sellers is always fantastic (times three!). And the humor still holds up: absolutely hilarious.

Eyes Wide Shut: 7/10
If you ever need an example of a long, slow movie, this is it. Even the speech is slowed down to a snail's pace. But it works. Answers are left hidden in the end with this very long, meticulous journey. Unsure of the 7/10...could be lower, could be higher.

A Clockwork Orange: 6/10
I like parts of this movie. Some parts work and are entertaining while others simply drag on far too long. I'm not sure if I like the movie as a whole, but the parts that I do enjoy make for a worthwhile watch.

And about Valkyrie, come on. Even in this movie Tom Cruise manage to look like a pretentious douche.
I never thought I whould somehow hope the "evil" nazis whould win, but damn it with Tom Cruise with an eyepatch, I ****ing hoped Hitler whould survive and **** their shit up.
He has like one expretion in all his movies.

You are right, but I have a soft spot for movies in fields that really interest me, which is anything WW2 so it helped see past a lot of things. It was still a very enjoyable watch.

Recon 2022: The Mezzo Incident

2/10

This movie received one point for the opening scene of a man with a vacuum computer strapped to his junk and a simulation that gives him a man instead of a woman. (Hilarious)

And it receives one further point for copy and pasting a Combine radio chatter sound FX right out of Half-Life 2.

Pineapple Express 7.5/10

Pretty damn funny, though some things go on a bit long. The very end was brilliant though and I wish more movies ended that way as it's funny as ****.

Ponyo - 7/10

I got a chance to see an early screening of Miyazaki's latest film. And I really really liked this one. Set in a coastal town, its about a young boy named Sosuske, who finds a "gold fish" and names her Ponyo. Despite being human and fish, they become fast friends. Sadly they are seperated when Ponyo's father, an underwater wizard, takes her back to the sea. Ponyo, who is missing Souske and the outside world, turns herself into a human and soon reconnects with Souske. Ok... if that sounds a bit like a kids flick, well thats because it is. Princess Mononoke this aint, so if you were looking for a more mature themed animated movie, you will have to look else where. But this movie was fun, and had some of the strangest visual concepts I have seen (recently). If you liked My Neighbor Totoro or Kiki's Delivery Service, you will probably like this one too. This film also marks a return to a 100% hand drawn film for Miyazaki. In fact, he said in an interview that Studio Ghibli has dissolved its CG department.

If I had to knock this movie for anything, I guess it would for a large amount of minor plot holes and logic. A few (actually a lot) of things, especially pertaining to Ponyo's parents, are never explained. There's a lot of magic in use that never gets explained either, but like I said, this is a kids movie, and if you can accept a movie with a giant cat-bus, then you shouldn't have any problem with Ponyo.

It was the Disney release, so naturally it was dubbed. Normally I dislike any foreign movie dubbed, live-action or animated, but Disney has done a great job with this film. The two main leads, Sosuske and Ponyo, were voiced by Frankie Jonas and Noah Cyrus respectively. Don't be fooled by the names, these kids did a wonderful job, and matched the characters perfectly.

Here is the french trailer that I prefer:
http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/ponyo-cliff-by-the-sea/french-trailer

And here is the Disney release trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/ponyo/

The Hurt Locker

8.5/10

Pro's -
Interesting film.
Tension throughout.
Decent Acting
Good cinematography

Con's -
A bit unrealistic at times
Questionable character actions

Summary:

Good film. I really enjoyed watching it and even though it weighs in at over two hours it did not feel like it.

Back