Flight of the Navigator to get the remake treatment

Reaction score
aintitcool.com said:
FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR was good enough to warrant nominations for the director, the young lead and as Best Science Fiction film from the SATURN AWARDS.

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR wasn't a great film, but it is a very good kids film. From Paul Reubens' voice as the ship affectionately referred to as Max. It also has an impossibly young and beautiful Sarah Jessica Parker. And the always awesome Veronica Cartwright.

But the best work was done by Alan Silvestri and the visual effects team - which long before that Russian Water Tentacle or the T1000 - created a flying CG spaceship that reflected the environment around it and gave a very thrilling sense of soaring at an incredible velocity. This was thrilling and important historic work - and it was a great step forward for computer generated effects.

NOW - the questionable part of this story comes with Brad Copeland writing the project. I'm not a big fan of WILD HOGS to put it mildly, but Copeland's background on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT gives me hope that they can do this as a quality work. One with a real kid, not some media saturated pop-culture savant of a child, but a regular kid. Like in the original. Exploring where the kid went for 12 years, why he's repressed or forgotten it - and what it is to return to a world where all your friends are grown-ups... where everything is different - and you no longer necessarily fit, accept back with your family which can't understand what has happened.

FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR is a solid children's film. Let's hope they do better with the remake, not worse. We can hope, right?

why Disney? WHY?! cant you leave my child hood alone :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnB7rIL2fy8

Hope this is better than Race to Witch Mountain

as lame as this sounds, if they're gonna make a FotN movie, it might as well be a sequel. Maybe the son of a grown up David gets caught up in a similar adventure. I don't mind remakes as long as the film that they are remaking was crappy to begin with. Not that FotN was a masterpiece, but its good in its own right. Thankfully they're giving us a sequel rather than a remake to another one of my favorite childhood movies: The Dark Crystal.

this video is concept sketches and images from Power of the Dark Crystal (coming 2011)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQc_VXADFUI

has there ever been a really good remake?

i loved that movie growing up! i used to have dreams about it

the only good remake that i liked more than the original was King Kong but I didn't love any of the Kong movies. another that was a good remake was any just about any dracula movie

I'm so sad I can't even reaction face. I have so much love for this movie, and even awesome stories about this movie shared between a friend and I...I'm really sad now.

I loved this movie as a kid.

I bet they ruin it. :(

Never liked it much, but still lame moves.

I own Flight of the Navigator on DVD. DON'T TOUCH IT YOU ASSHOLES.

Hah, they're getting into some pretty obscure remake material at this point. I'm willing to bet most children of the 80s saw Flight at some point, but its just a vague memory now.

It also has an impossibly young and beautiful Sarah Jessica Parker

this makes me think this news item is fake. She was never young or beautiful

06.jpg

Back