footage of Market st, San Fransisco, 1905

Fascinating. Not only because its Market St. before its was hit by the earthquake, but also because its interesting to see people going about their daily lives in 1905.

the cop walking by at :37 made me laugh a bit... those keystone uniforms were a bit much:
19001910.jpg

keycop2.jpg

Everybody looks so classy...brb, buying a tophat and renting a horse so I can ride down Market St.

Awesome, video would be even better if it was compared beside a video made today of the same street.

Awesome road rules, theres people running in front of everything

The high pitched whine was annoying, but I liked the music so I kept it on anyway... fascinating look back in time.

I'd go insane if I had to drive there.

It's like India!

What's really weird is that probably everyone in the footage is dead! I haven't seen any babies in there! And even if, that's over 100 years, way longer than most Americans live, especially then.

I guess it's not that weird, but I always think about it when I see old video. All those lives, all those stories, lost to time, a small slice captured by video.

lol at the kids hanging on the back of the car.

Every single person recorded in that video is dead.

EDIT: wtf, did even that 10 year old(ish) kid at 3:00 have a mustache? God damn, the early 1900s made kids grow up fast.

EDIT2: Oh, Raziaar already pointed out the fact that everyone in that video is dead.

How come people randomly broke out in sprints for no apparent reason all the time?

You can see why they invented traffic lights.

Videos like these really amaze me. Its surprising how much I attribute to "modern" society that has been around for a hundred years or more.

Every single person recorded in that video is dead.

EDIT: wtf, did even that 10 year old(ish) kid at 3:00 have a mustache? God damn, the early 1900s made kids grow up fast.

EDIT2: Oh, Raziaar already pointed out the fact that everyone in that video is dead.

How come people randomly broke out in sprints for no apparent reason all the time?

I was wondering that myself too.

awesome footage! also i wonder if they did shoe shining then

Obviously they were scared shitless of the camera. Never seen before technology that captures your motions for people hundreds of years from now that will watch you on surfaces consisting of thousands of insanely small lights which together form an image and comment over an invisible web of connections that can be accessed by every single human being on the planet.

Yeah, id be shitting my pants too.

I guess it's not that weird, but I always think about it when I see old video. All those lives, all those stories, lost to time, a small slice captured by video.

I think of exactly this.

Obviously they were scared shitless of the camera. Never seen before technology that captures your motions for people hundreds of years from now that will watch you on surfaces consisting of thousands of insanely small lights which together form an image and comment over an invisible web of connections that can be accessed by every single human being on the planet.

Yeah, id be shitting my pants too.

Way to ruin the moment, dream wrecker!

This was only seven years after the Spanish-American War :O

Sound recording actually fascinate me slightly more than old videos like this one, mostly because you know humans have looked more or less like this for a long time, but very little is known about how people sounded more than 100 years ago.

Really cool.

It'd be awesome if people still dressed like that today. Fashion particularly in the 30's and 40's was feckin' ace - everything just oozed class. No matter where you were going, everybody wore suits, waistcoats, dresses and hats. Just think though, in another hundred years when we're all long gone, people will be able to look back at our shitty towns and our ugly arse faces in high-definition. I'd imagine it'd be pretty surreal to look back at the past in such clarity.

Just think though, in another hundred years when we're all long gone, people will be able to look back at our shitty towns and our ugly arse faces in high-definition. I'd imagine it'd be pretty surreal to look back at the past in such clarity.

It wont be very clear to them, because by that time they will have fully holographic images that they can walk right up to and see in perfect detail. Just like they had shitty analog cameras back in 1905 vs 1080p+ digital video that can capture the pores on someones face today.

LOL I didn't even notice that it was you I was replying to when I said India. it just reminded me of all the footage I've seen of the crazy traffic in India at intersections and shit.

So interesting to watch. I love how no one really knows how to react to a camera. Today people would be jumping in front of it to be seen, or showing off in some kind of way. I love the innocence of everyone just looking at it, curious, unsure and wondering what it does.

It's slightly terrifying how 100 years makes that kind of difference. Just 100 years. In biological time it's insignificant, in geological time it's nothing, in all of time it's less than a split second. This is one strange planet.

It's amazing how chaotic the street was: Pedestrians, horse-drawn carriages, trams, bicycles, and primitive cars all sharing the same path with apparently no rules of any kind.

In a similar vein, here's some colour footage of London from 1927
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwahIQz0o-M

****ing surreal to see the silhouette of the clocktower from way back when.

It's amazing how chaotic the street was: Pedestrians, horse-drawn carriages, trams, bicycles, and primitive cars all sharing the same path with apparently no rules of any kind.

Still the same today :p

That was amazing. The world changed more in the last 100 years than in the 1000 years before that.

Back