Free 2 play Ghost Recon Online MMO

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online, it’s a third-person tactical shooter, it will be free to play, and it will be PC-only.

It will be funded by minipayment ‘premium items’ but no word yet on if those are purely cosmetic or make you into more of a hard nut. Sounds as though it’s going fully for the shooter hardcore rather than casual players – so more in the vein of Battlefield Play4Free than Battlefield Heroes.

And here’s a distillation of what we know so far about Ghost Recon Online:

- It’s “developed by Ubisoft Singapore, and offers all the best qualities of the Ghost Recon franchise in a downloadable, dynamic, PC-based online game.”

- Closed beta kicks off this Summer. Isn’t it Summer already?

- It’s “the most social, connected and customizable Ghost Recon experience yet,” which probably means it’s not going to be much like GRAW.

- You choose between three different classes of Ghost, with customisable weapons and tech.

- Persistent progression stuff, so it’s in the cloud or whatever.

- The maps and graphics “rival the quality of those traditionally seen only in retail games.” It’s unlikely to be a browser game, then.

there's a trailer:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/05/24/ghost-recon-online-preview/

That was Montreal. Ubi Singapore was only founded in 2008. Anything beyond that, Google won't say, so I think they haven't done anything interesting yet.

[edit] You're probably thinking of Shanghai, they did the "next-gen" incarnation of Double Agent.

Haha, **** everything about this.

[edit] You're probably thinking of Shanghai, they did the "next-gen" incarnation of Double Agent.

Probably. Anyways, I just watched the trailer, and it looks to just be a standard shoot em up.

offers all the best qualities of the Ghost Recon franchise

Yeah, ignoring the far, far superior first game and its two expansions.

Chances are they are an outsource studio making assets for all the other studios.

If this is a freemium title it may well using an old game as the base much like the battle field free. Games like this tend to use older tech so they run on more machines and make more monies.

Chances are they are an outsource studio making assets for all the other studios.

If this is a freemium title it may well using an old game as the base much like the battle field free. Games like this tend to use older tech so they run on more machines and make more monies.
It seems like that's pretty much their MO. All they've really done is platform ports/conversions of titles made by other Ubi studios. And I think you're right about the game piggybacking on old tech. I expect this game to be a nickel-and-dime GRAW lite... and GRAW was Ghost Recon lite... and :(

I'll give it a shot. What the hell, there's a snowball's chance in a hell it'll actually be fun, but sometimes snowballs have been known to do just fine in hell. I think.

Wow cool bro the optic camouflage and forcefields in Ghost Recon were always my favourite parts!!!

'Free to play' usually translates to 'Not worth playing' so I'll probably give it a miss.

'Free to play' usually translates to 'Not worth playing' so I'll probably give it a miss.

This, I just can't believe how much people spend on games that pretend to be free.

Only thing keeping me from thinking this is total shit is the fact that Ubi: Singapore is working on it and they're pretty awesome.

battlefield heroes is a lot of fun but hl2.net doesnt like fun so you all avoid it like the plague. same goes for this

BFH is about as fun as driving a rusty nail into your penis.

It is the very definition of Play 4 Free Pay 2 Win.

"Whoops it ran out of fun. Better put more money in."

Free to play is the coin-operated animal ride of the shooter world.

hilarious analogy, but they're more ridiculously stupid and less ridiculously stupid and... creepy

coin-op animals are a big phobia of mine. they play horrifying circus music and rock back and forth in this uncanny way. I feel like they belong exclusively in ghost towns and nuclear fallout areas. I want to see FPS Russian **** one up dual weilding m249s

Honestly I haven't seen a lot of the animals here, mostly I just rode in coin-op cars like a pimp. :cool:

low riiiiiiiidin. nice use of the criminally underrated cool-dude emoticon.

Back