Fringe Season 2

Warped

Reaction score
fringe_apple.jpg

fringe-cast.jpg

The newest season is off to a wondrous start and I really like where the series is headed. Tonight was the newest episode and it was an eye opener that's for sure. Anyone else shocked by what happened??

fringe-glyphs.jpg

I watched this show once.

Some chick got knocked up and the baby out-grew and turned into an old man, (obviously) killing the mother in a manner of minutes!

"Supernatural!" I think to myself.

Then they find a photo of some building, run it through their magical ****ing software. It told them where the photo was taken at what angle and what time of the day, solving the entire case.

wtf.

Good to see the show back, esp with Walter being totally eccentric as usual. Took me a few minutes to figure out the manner of the switcheroo, but it was kind of late at the time (Its a shame of course as I've always liked him as well).

I love the sort of offbeat nature of the Earth 2 tech we are getting exposed to though. The transmogrifier was extremely neat as was the typewriter. One thing that's abundantly clear is that whomever it is that was after Olivia, they are clearly quite capable of taking a beating given they survived a few GS as well as a some considerable jumps. Also cool to see Luke Goss, as he has a great face for a villain.

I watched this show once.

Some chick got knocked up and the baby out-grew and turned into an old man, (obviously) killing the mother in a manner of minutes!

"Supernatural!" I think to myself.

Then they find a photo of some building, run it through their magical ****ing software. It told them where the photo was taken at what angle and what time of the day, solving the entire case.

wtf.

Get out of this thread.

RageFace.png

Certain issues I have with the show are the sudden introduction of this new character. Its kind of a slap in the face for the actress playing Astrid & the actor playing Charlie that they've opted to bring in the eye candy (though tbh she looks like a suntanned Ryan Reynolds in a wig), rather than develop their characters from placeholders. Also I'm not overtly keen on them suddenly going with the 'end of days' angle. Its tired, lame and frankly unnecessary (I honestly can't believe anyone in the FBI is dump enough to believe in that hocus pocus).

I was unfortunate enough to see parts of the first season and I must say that this the most poorly conceived piece of television I have watched in a while.

-J.J. Abrams (Felicity, What About Brian, Armageddon)
-Alex Kurtzman (Transformers)
-Roberto Orci (Transformers)
-All the ongoing mysteries are really really boring and unoriginal
-Monster of the week
-Over the top scifi/fantasy elements that don't really seem to be there to contribute to the story, but rather for the shock value
-Each mystery is quickly solved and explanation accepted without problem. There is no Scully here.
-Feeling like this was supposed to be camp, but they forgot.

All in all it's like a X-Files and Lost wannabe trying so hard to to make viewers interested on the mystery of why that bald headed guy can only taste spicy stuff

EDIT:

-Bad guy has robotic hand

I couldn't get into this series; watched 3-4 episodes from the first season. Does it get better or maintain a steady level?

i hated the middle of season 1, but yeah give it some time and it grows on you. i watch it with a friend so its even better that way

1) Abrams has been involved in some pretty good stuff. I don't like everything that he's worked on (and some of Alias was lamentable) however overall he knows how to entertain.

2) 'Monster/disease/homicide/crisis of the week is the staple of most network shows. Ragging on formula is ludicrous. Were the show on HBO or Showtime and only 13 eps a season then perhaps they might be able to change gear and go for Monster/Villain/Case of the season like True Blood/Deadwood/The Wire. Sure some of the episodes have been quite ropey, but the more interesting stuff is generally how things interlink.

3) There is a central mythology that ties into a greater whole. That there exists a series of pathways through to a Parallel Earth and that in terms of the parallel universe foodchain, we are a lot lower down the ladder technologically than they are.

4) Nina Sharp isn't the bad guy, nor is William Bell. In fact I'd go so far as to say that they are on the side of the Fringe team in a lot of ways. The bad guy would probably be the person who realising they had a technologically inferior parallel Earth to exploit in terms of people & resources started to take advantage of that fact. Why plant sustainable Forests when instead you could lift them wholesale from someone else for example?

this past episode was rather boring. hopefully it picks up next time.

Happy that it's back; hopelessly hooked; disappointed that they killed off the other Fed dude because he was cool.

Also:
Obvious eye candy insertion was obvious. My fiancee hates it when I make remarks like those. Especially in shows she likes.

Not the greatest episode in terms of storyline, however the more interesting stuff was what was happening to Olivia.

Last night was straight up X-Files. I was falling asleep through most of it.

I'm surprised Peter wasn't a whole lot more pissed off at Olivia.

Yeah i also noticed the X-Files scene on the TV in the first episode where the Shape Shifter is inside baldies apartment? Luke Goss played that role, by the way. Anyway, i don't like what they have with Charlie. Not to mention that it was really piss poor editing in those scenes. He's one of the better character's of the show and had a lot more room to grow. Apparently the actor was fire for some reason.

Looks like the ratings are shitty too. If it continues, this will be the last season.

They should of kept it on Tuesdays with House (which incidental had a great Première Episode).

Looks good though at a guess I suspect William Bell isn't going to be around for long. I did kind of think that it was perhaps odd to cast someone as venerable as Leonard Nimoy in the role.

This weeks episode was much better than the tosh last week. Plus they got back to the mythology, though I was surprised as to whom received the case given there normal hands off nature.

yeah the latest episode was amazing to say the least. i love the notion of a brewing war between both worlds. like in babylon 5 when they went to way every other episode...that was cool! shows with wars in them are the best

I've been kind of wondering if JJ Abrams read Anathem at some point and created Fringe as a way to mash up some of the ideas from that and a successor to the X-files. There are enough literary nods here and there to the work of Poe, Lovecraft, Philip K Dick, and Ray Bradbury (amongst others) to make it clear that some of the writing team have a pretty strong background in horror and science fiction, and they seem to be very good at grabbing ideas from several places and fitting them together into something new. (The monster from S02E02 was essentially Lovecraft's "The Lurking Horror," but told in an updated and interesting way that made it thematically mesh with Fringe's plot.)

Latest episode was awesome! The show is heading down a path I will enjoy and for its second season feels like a show I know I'll love in the future

That was a great episode. Certainly made up for the awfulness of the second episode. Lots of mythological stuff answered, as well as an explanation as to what's going on. Thinking back to the first season I'm curious as to whether they will perhaps re-examine some of their encounters with earlier 2nd worlders before, such as the guy with the funky sound gun who could use the mind reading device.

Shame about Charlie as he's a good actor and was sorely underused, though hopefully we might see 2nd world Charlie again. Seems that crossing over has its consequences, and that it is far from straight forward.

Also was it my imagination but was the other soldier not one of the henchmen for Mitchell Loeb last season?

Also did the head look at all familiar?

So it seems that the 2nd worlders can only come into the world in these hybrid bodies with the mercury/blood mix, but the bodies will eventually die. So in a way they are a bit like deep sea divers, only able to function for a certain amount of time before needing to resurface (be extracted). After all they are shape shifters rather than body snatchers based on what we've seen. However given that the shifters have such a limited life span it implies that either the condition can be reversed in some manner or the Soldiers personality can be extracted/loaded into a new body (their own at a guess) ala Dollhouse, which is some powerful voodoo when you think about it.

So the latest episode wasn't quite a filler episode, but it wasn't spectacular either. also i believe Fox is taking a 2 week break if I heard right. they said "coming in Novemeber...." and then i saw the promo

Latest episode was pretty decent, this show is still addicting. Anyway, next weeks episode looks pretty cool as well.

Did anyone notice that August was Galen (Peter Woodward) from Crusade (B5 spin off), well at least his baldness was useful for this show.

PeterWoodward1.jpg

I still enjoy this show but some of the weirdness and randomness is just awkward

Back