Game Informer Portal 2 Scan Discussion

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
So there are scans circulating the internetz from game informer magazine. I need to remind people that we don't allow scans here, so nor will I or anyone else be allowed to link them on the forum.

However, for anyone who has read the scans, my god Portal 2 looks beautiful and there is so much to talk about!

So major revelations from the scans (spoiler alerts!):

- Portal 2 take place hundreds of years after Portal 1

- Chell is still the playable character for the main single player campaign which is significantly longer

- The co-op campaign involves two androids (made of a core and sentry gun body), the co-op campaign is quite hard

- Jonathon Coulton is back and will provide a new song at the end (and jazz throughout played by GLaDOS)

- The test facility is the same place but highly eroded after many years

- Personality cores appear in various chambers to guide you through chambers. You'll need them to open doors or power certain areas. One such core is called Wheatley who you'll meet at the start and you need to carry.

- New test chamber facilities such as launch pads, suction pipes, traction beams, paintable surfaces (which change the surface properties)

- We will get to see the inner workings of AS again as GLaDOS hasn't fully rebuilt the facility and needs to re-route Chell through various maintenance areas.

- Cake seems to have been dropped as it seems to have gone stale.

Anyone else who has enjoyed reading these, feel free to add more / discuss!

This is going to be a great game.

Also, if you want the scans, google them.

Rewrites, valve's content changing, an idea has no foundation until all group parties are happy.

Who knows, Johnson could be in a personality core that Chell finds along the way or that leaked casting call script was a fake.

- Valve does not intend to elaborate on the Half-Life connection because of the total difference between games.

Hmm, well at least Earth still exists hundreds of years later.

This is fascinating. Hundreds of years later, eh? That explains the plants on the magazine cover. I guess AS has been taken over by mother nature. I also kinda appreciate that there won't be more cake jokes.

scans? Like, putting the magazine in to a scanner and posting the images? Or is it something i am unaware of?

paintable surfaces (which change the surface properties)

I really like that aspect. Speed and trampoline paint I have read about so far and Valve might add more. The physics in this game will be awesome.

The fact that AS hasn't been discovered, or at least explored, in the last few hundred suggests that there isn't a function society on earth, if humanity has survived at all.

The co-op feature seems very promising, BTW.

Well I'd say there isn't a big population left after the events of Ep3, if anything, if you want your race to go on, you have to start breeding the population

The fact that AS hasn't been discovered, or at least explored, in the last few hundred suggests that there isn't a function society on earth, if humanity has survived at all.

The flora and fauna have changed dramatically since the introduction of Xen's creatures and it is still a very dangerous world. Perhaps humanity is too focused on development of a functional society and a equalibrium to the natural world in Europe to be concerned about the former US.

I sense Valve's Fabled RPG idea coming to fruition once Portal2 and Ep3 is out the way

- Portal 2 take place hundreds of years after Portal 1

Portal 2[strike]100[/strike]. Solving issues and obtaining cake from the comfort of our newly assigned Hoveround.

I got high-res pictures where the text is readable, PM me if you want them.
The flora and fauna have changed dramatically since the introduction of Xen's creatures and it is still a very dangerous world. Perhaps humanity is too focused on development of a functional society and a equalibrium to the natural world in Europe to be concerned about the former US.

I sense Valve's Fabled RPG idea coming to fruition once Portal2 and Ep3 is out the way
Do we know that the facilities are located in the US? And even so, one would think they're a priority to the surviving humans, with their portal technology and all. Also, I don't think we can rule out any form of interacting between the games in EP3, seeing as time travel is possible, and it's not impossible that Gordon & co will go to Portal 2 time.

Valve does not intend to elaborate on the Half-Life connection because of the total difference between games.
I'm really worried about that, I expected story even more connected to the Half-Life games.

Do we know that the facilities are located in the US?
Blueprints of the Borealis says that Aperture Science Center is in Cleveland, Ohio.

So they had this awesome science hundreds of years before Black Mesa incident? This is assuming the story does tie in with ep3, something about the borealis shots reminds me of the jungle looking area somehow...

wow :) i wonder this is new setting for a future half life 3? earth in the future :D ? quite excited about portal 2 now :)

After looking at the scans, I can reveal that this picture
tube_room.png

Is pretty accurate.

Wow, 100 years later and Chell returning - didn't see either of those happening.

Paint mechanic reminds me of Tag, which I'm sure I first heard about on this forum but I can't find it's thread.

So they had this awesome science hundreds of years before Black Mesa incident?

Yes. Portal 1 was clearly set in the Renaissance. GlaDos is your queen.

Wow, 100 years later and Chell returning - didn't see either of those happening.

Paint mechanic reminds me of Tag, which I'm sure I first heard about on this forum but I can't find it's thread.

Valve hired the Digipen students that developed Tag.

Sarcasm Riom?
No. He was right. The picture that the ASCII art comes from is in the scans. It is a tube for transporting stuff. It's sucks and blows and the suction can be transfered through portals. In that pick the man is facing a random pile of objects and a portal. The stuff is being sucked through into the other portal (under the end of the tube) and being sucked through and tossed out the other side (what's marked as gibs). There's also tractor beams!

i thought portal 1 was set around the time of the combine invasion? because everyone disapeared :/ certaintly spooky. if portal 2 set the far furture i wonder if this is where gordon ends up after episode 3? or even end of episode 3 :) its all very exciting

I wonder how it will make sense that shell survives 100 years. Put in stasis like Freeman?

i thought portal 1 was set around the time of the combine invasion? because everyone disapeared :/ certaintly spooky. if portal 2 set the far furture i wonder if this is where gordon ends up after episode 3? or even end of episode 3 :) its all very exciting
Everyone in the facility disappeared because Glados killed them.

Hmm, well at least Earth still exists hundreds of years later.

Or it is an asteroid with the earth-fragment where the Apeture Laboratories is located. (with gravity generators underneath that emulates the same gravity as is the current earth-gravity).

That is a theory, it is quite a far-fetched one but nonetheless, a theory! I'm going to stick with the safe ground and assume Earth still exists.

So Chell goes into stasis for a few hundred years. Who has the facility to put people in stasis? The aperture science android? GLaDOS? G-m...

*Transmission terminated. Error: 426571*

We already know, right?

The thing that drags us away at the end of Portal 1 in the new ending.

It had a certainly robotic voice, so something controlled by GlaDOS, since, y'know, she's still alive.

It is worth noting that you may have already been in a preserved state at the beginning of Portal 1 in that Aperture Science Life Preserving Bed Chamber Bubble Thing, perhaps it's not much more than an extension of that?

(For this post, lets just say that Portal 1 took place around the time of the Combine Invasion and that both Portal and Half Life are linked together)

The fact that it says it takes place hundred of years after Portal make me feel bad about a possible EP3 outcome. I find that the fact that no one found the Enrichment Centre after hundreds of years worrying because it could mean that Mankind destroyed itself and brought the Combine on Earth along with it. If the Resistance won, hundreds of years later their descendants should be on track to restoring humanity.

It's just a thought :)

Back