Glad that Religious games (HL2) are so popular

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jesuit76

Hi. As the topic says, I am VERY glad that religious games like Half-Life 2 are doing so well. A friend of mine suggested that I play HL2 and I told him I didn't like dark sided things that are not of god, such as violent games. However, I saw him playing it one day and I became more interested, but I didn't know why. Then he showed me the box the game came in. The front cover of the box had a closeup of Jesus on it, and it all started to make sense.

I bought the game soon after. The game actually referred to Jesus as Gordon Freeman, but I'm sure those of you who have been playing for a while realize gordon is Jesus (duh). I'm not sure why he is referred to as another name, I'm still looking into this. The creators of the game also hid the identities of the other characters in the game. I can only speculate that they just wanted gamers to realize the religious significance of the game's characters and messages for themselves.

I'd like to commend the creators of Half-Life 2 for taking the stories of the bible and represent them in a modern and exciting game. These are some of the points that I really feel the creators of the game did so in a very artistic and brilliant manner:

"This is how God showed His love among us: He sent His one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him." -- 1 John 4:9 NIV Bible
-City 17 needed saving. The combine (those who don't believe in god) have taken over the world. Gman (God) sent Gordon Freeman (Jesus christ), his only son to be the savior. Now some new to Half-Life 2 might see Gman as evil, but he is only fulfilling his own desires through Gordon (Just look at the first scene where gman is talking to gordon from heaven as gordon finds himself on a subway). And lest we forget, God works in Mysterious ways.

"Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help lift him up."-- Ecclesiastes 4:910 Bible
-God sent some help to Jesus, though he is the son of god, he is still only one. God sent him Barney (The angel Michael), Eli (The angel Gabriel), and kleinar (Saint Jude). I am still trying to figure out which of the citizens who help gordon in c17 are representing which saints/apostles, but I've not been able to pin point any yet.

"Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love and His kindness go on forever." -- 1 Chronicles 16:34 TLB Bible
-God is good, and so are those who follow him. But HL2 has entities that are also very evil. The combine are there, obviously, to be the antagonists to Jesus. They try to stop him from saving the world with the message of god. The creatures you fight that represent Satan's minions was also a nice touch. There was a scene where you are able to torch a "zombie" that is stuck inside a cage. When I was able to do there was definately no doubt, I was sending this daemon back to hell, back to the fires he came from!

The story becomes even more complex when Satan throws alyx and dr mossman into the mix (Mary Magdeline/Delihla). It was great to see Jesus fighting evil on so many levels. He had combat with the combine as well as fighting temptation. I liked this part, it clearly shows the religious context of the story since the hero in games and movies always gets the girl. In this game, Jesus does not even touch either of the vixens, and successfully fights temptation to the glory of god. I was also very happy to see at the end, when one of Satan's high officers, Baal (Breen) was smited by god at the end of the game. The flying daemons protecting him was a nice touch too.

As I said before, most of you folks have already figured it all out. I'm just making this thread to pay my respect to the creators of HL2 and commend them for helping spread the infallable word of God. I will definately play Half-Life 3 when it is released. I am excited to see if they will show satan himself, and to see how more saints, angels, and apostles will be represented and how they will help Jesus along the way. The game is quality stuff, and I hope they make several more chapters before jesus is finally crucified and dies for our sins. Anyway, great game.

PS: Can anyone tell me which apostles/angels/saints those rebel citizens are who fight alongside gordon in the latter part of the game? I can't quite seem to place them. Thanks.

Uh, that's a pretty interesting take on it. I suppose Gordon Freeman is referred to as the Messiah a lot, in hindsight. But those flying daemons are actually Combine Synth Gunships, ya know -_-

lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol......

........It hurts......

Thats some funny shit.

"Its not Jesus, its Gordon Freeman"

Yes, he spoke much and had many notable quotes that still hold true today. But Half-Life 2 is obviously more about what Jesus encounters and how others address him rather than how he influences people. I know, the not talking part, as well as other parts of the game, "blur the line" between the gordon character and Jesus, who he represents in the game. But for the most part its obvious. Just look at how the Vortigaunts revere him as the Son of the LORD should be revered!

You need to get out more, its a video game, not a bible game.

'Holy shit Gordon is walking on water'

'Actually i made this in garry's mod'

*speeds off on filing cabnet boat*

Why does the angel Michael say ****?
Why do the apostles change faces and all speak in the same voice, and become resurrected later on in the game?
Why did Jesus kill all those scientists and guards last time he visited earth?
The lord works in mysterious ways...

Anyhoo, I *seriously* doubt HL2 was based on the bible. Like many games/movies it's easy to make the connection if you really try, but it never holds up. This was one funny read though :E got me laughing.

Hectic Glenn said:
'Holy shit Gordon is walking on water'

'Actually i made this in garry's mod'

*speeds off on filing cabnet boat*

Hahaha, I shall go play GMod now.

"However, I saw him playing it one day and I became more interested, but I didn't know why"

Its called: NORMAL....LIFE....repeat after me...You feelt...HYPED...FULL OF ACTION....ok?...understand? good boy

Now i dont know if you are serious or not...but...plz...you only have one life to live...why waste it to a simple book that tells a simple story of a fake man called GOD? Get.....A......."life", if you dont know what life is, try pulling the trigger to your head and you will notice that it can ...END and you wont go to heaven, you will just see plain black for ever and ever! ;)

Holy shit kid.

Anyway I'm off to play hl2 with the rocket launcher set to launch books/bibles. That should keep me laughing for at least half an hour.

SpArKs said:
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol......

........It hurts......

I feel the exact same way. Hahah!

Btw, if Gman is god...then how come Gman works for another guy? As gman says, in Half-life1.

So stfu and get a life.

Now this made me laugh at first, but now I'm worried about Jesuit76... was he serious at all? Damn, Gordon doesn't look like Jesus on the cover! :D

Jesuit76, didn't you feel bad about killing so many people (metrocops)? It's a sin, isn't it? Now, you've got a lot of explaining to do! :D And no, the inquisition does not work anymore, so you can't say you killed in the name of God :p

When I saw this, I was laughing out loud

But when I read the text, it all made sense, and know I <3 Jesus :O

Then I came to this conclusion: Valve is God.

Now i dont know if you are serious or not...but...plz...you only have one life to live...why waste it to a simple book that tells a simple story of a fake man called GOD? Get.....A......."life", if you dont know what life is, try pulling the trigger to your head and you will notice that it can ...END and you wont go to heaven, you will just see plain black for ever and ever! ;)

Well said Ravioli mate, it's sad to see sooo many people sacrificing so much and wasting so much of their lives due to religion :frown:

Religion is, quite simply, a pile of b******s. Now, you might say I should other people's beliefs, but I can't - because there is no sense in it whatsoever :rolling:

Anyway, I really do hope this guy is joking :O

Let's try and not make this thread a fight between religious people and non-religious people ;)

Relligion was developped to control people. They still try to do it, but it's slowly begining to fall :devil:

:D

One thing needs to be said: he made a damn fine post with some bible quotes :O

Saying the things you said proves that HL2 is based on the bible is like saying Bart Simpson is a catholic who doesn't like bhuddism simply because he says "Don't have a cow man".

You are very confused. There is no chance that the g-man is a holy figure trying to save mankind. He is out for himself and his employers.
And I realy don't think God took Jesus against his will and then traded him off to the highest bidder.

Nihilanth, of course, represents the giant baby that Jesus shot to death in Apostles 14:12.

Pheropods are also the magic fishbread that Jesus shot from his hands in order to blind his opponents and summon his army of insectoid monsters.

swiss_cheese9797 said:
Saying the things you said proves that HL2 is based on the bible is like saying Bart Simpson is a catholic who doesn't like bhuddism simply because he says "Don't have a cow man".
Welcome to the thread. Do you want to explain to me why Jesuit76's e-mail address contains "swiss_cheese9797" in it?

Wow, I thought more people understood the OBVIOUS underlying religious context, I guess I was wrong. The insects Jesus uses in the game may be something to add to the gaming experience, but more likely they REPRESENT something from the bible. I have my theories, but I havn't found anything concrete just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back