Glenn Beck Sarah Palin Rally to celebrate the Military, Patriotism, and America

I have a friend who actually went to it.

He says it wasn't political. It was mostly an event to honor our troops and to pray for them. So by the sound of it, it may have been an actually pretty nice event.... if you are religious and honor our soldiers. Imagine a political rally without anger or attacking the other party.

I think Glenn Beck is normally a ridiculous blowhard but it sounds like he is behaving this time.

Other than the fact that the whole premise of it is that liberals and Obama in particular(who isn't very liberal) have robbed America of its honor and they have to somehow restore it.

You know, I get ****ing sick and tired every time some god damn moronic conservative lays out a blanket statement that attributes liberals to being unpatriotic or America haters and not Real Americans.

Pisses me the **** off.

That's a hilarious statement.

Why? Other than SB1070 (which has been trimmed down and profiling / 'papers please' parts removed to be an appropriate law now by the federal courts)

Arizona has a lot of great laws; laws as in guarantees of freedom rather than prohibitions.

So does Maryland, and many other states. Nice job shrugging off the shittiest law in a country known as a melting pot.

So does Maryland, and many other states. Nice job shrugging off the shittiest law in a country known as a melting pot.

If you know my posts in this section, you know I have been overwhelmingly against SB1070. It was cut down by the federal courts and its no longer even an issue. Gov. Brewer is appealing, but everybody and their mom knows the next court up is going to side with the previous court. It is written WAY too shoddily and is a "papers please" law for ALL citizens. Well.. not anymore now that the fed courts struck down various parts.

Since that's no longer an issue, why is my statement hillarious?

Arizona is one of the most business friendly, free states in the union. November we're also expected to overwhelmingly pass medical marijuana and the election following that decriminalization is aimed for as well.

I don't know of anyone personally who says to repeal the 14th amendment. I've only ever seen that on the net.....

I keep forgetting how backwards a lot of the country is compared to Arizona.

Well, then let me introduce you to the Arizona senator that supports the repeal of the 14th amendment: Jon Kyl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PsI2h6a9o

granted he may not want to totally repeal the amendment, but you can be damned sure he would like to it be "fixed" so that the children born here from illegal aliens would not be American citizens

Well, then let me introduce you to the Arizona senator that supports the repeal of the 14th amendment: Jon Kyl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4PsI2h6a9o

granted he may not want to totally repeal the amendment, but you can be damned sure he would like to it be "fixed" so that the children born here from illegal aliens would not be American citizens

No other country on the planet does this. The law was originally passed so that the children of former slaves would get the same rights a white man would. It is used out of context just as much as some other amendments.

No other country on the planet does this. The law was originally passed so that the children of former slaves would get the same rights a white man would. It is used out of context just as much as some other amendments.

John Kyl (Senator 2) is a doofus. McCain (Senator #1) is where its at. He flip flopped in the election this season to beat Hayworth for the primary, but everyone knows he's going to vote the same as he always has. He supports an amnesty and the 14th amendment. We need a border wall AND an amnesty for current illegals for reform to work in the least. Neither party will do either of those but McCain's for both which is what is needed.

I dunno about the rest of the country, some other states are cool like Nevada or Montana, etc.

At least here I know I can leave the house armed and concealed and not worry about having a permission slip from the government to do so.

edit: whoops I quoted the wrong person. But Ridge birthright citizenship is important. Just because the parents came from Mexico- the child was born in the US, raised in the US, and never ever even BEEN TO Mexico. You cant say they're Mexican unless you're referring to their ethnicity and not citizenship.

So, we should be just like every other country?

edit: lol at context of other amendments, what about the 2nd amendment? It really just (technically) applies to militias, but I dont give a damn about that.

So, we should be just like every other country?

edit: lol at context, what about the 2nd amendment?

2nd amendment says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Doesnt say what type of arms, how they function, or what caliber they use...

what about the 1st amendment? Nowhere does it say radio, television or internet...

2nd amendment says the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Doesnt say what type of arms, how they function, or what caliber they use...

no, i meant this:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Its talking about the right of the people of the militia. I know its splitting hairs. I really dont give a damn about it, I love guns, and I think the 2nd amendment has been interpreted just fine. I'm just saying that if your gonna use the context argument to change/repeal the 14th amendment, might as well do it for the rest as well.

As much as I know you'd all love to have dissenting views snuffed out, he fortunately is still alive and well.

If by "snuffed out" you mean killed, then you're wrong. I don't think anybody here is doing anything more than joking about zombie Martin Luther King Jr. rising from his grave and ripping the intestines out of these two idiots.

But on the otherhand, if you meant that we wished them to be snuffed out due to having no audience to pander to, due to rational and educated citizens not buying his blatantly idiotic, hate-mongering ideas, then you're right. I would love that.

no, i meant this:

Its talking about the right of the people of the militia. I know its splitting hairs. I really dont give a damn about it, I love guns, and I think the 2nd amendment has been interpreted just fine. I'm just saying that if your gonna use the context argument to change/repeal the 14th amendment, might as well do it for the rest as well.

Back then, the militia consisted of every man between the ages of 16 and 64 :)

The context of the 14th was, as I said before, to guarantee rights to the children born of former slaves.

well, yes, but then again, its also talking about a well regulated militia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...ution#Meaning_of_.22well_regulated_militia.22
The term "regulated" means "disciplined" or "trained".[140] In Heller, the U.S. Supreme Court stated that "[t]he adjective 'well-regulated' implies nothing more than the imposition of proper discipline and training."[141] Regarding a well regulated militia, Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist No. 29:

A tolerable expertness in military movements is a business that requires time and practice. It is not a day, or even a week, that will suffice for the attainment of it. To oblige the great body of the yeomanry, and of the other classes of the citizens, to be under arms for the purpose of going through military exercises and evolutions, as often as might be necessary to acquire the degree of perfection which would entitle them to the character of a well-regulated militia, would be a real grievance to the people, and a serious public inconvenience and loss.[51]

Regarding regulation and training of the militia, Alexander Hamilton wrote in Federalist No. 29:

"If a well regulated militia be the most natural defence of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security...confiding the regulation of the militia to the direction of the national authority...(and) reserving to the states...the authority of training the militia".[51]
But I digress. Actually, I have to admit, re-reading your comments to mine, I am not sure where you stand on the 14th. Do you think the 14th should be interpreted so that ALL children born here in the US (no matter the context) would be legal citizens, or should it be amended because it really was written for the children of slaves (thus children of illegal aliens would not be automatic citizens).

But on the otherhand, if you meant that we wished them to be snuffed out due to having no audience to pander to, due to rational and educated citizens not buying his blatantly idiotic, hate-mongering ideas, then you're right. I would love that.

Yeah me too. Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck are the two most useless people in the whole of U.S. politics.

It's not that they have dissenting opinions, that's perfectly normal. It's that they talk in nothing but platitudes and say such ridiculous nonsense, yet what they say somehow manages to make its way into the mainstream political arena.

Death panels don't, never have and never will exist. The government is not Fascist/Maoist/Stalinist/Communist/Satanic as Beck has claimed on numerous occasions. Obama is not going to raise taxes to the highest levels they've ever been, nor is he racist or a Muslim. Progressives will not devour the nation's children whole in a blood orgy to Baphomet.

These people do not deserve to be in the limelight because they are dumbing down the already dumb standard of political discourse in the U.S. to the point where people are no longer against leaders because of policies but because of ridiculous notions based on lies and fallacies.

^This. Glad someone said it.

ac1v.jpg

Sadly, you couldn't be any more wrong. The nutback and the bimbo have hundreds of thousands of hateful, gun totting, religious drones following their gospel. We wouldn't be even talking about this if Obama was white and didn't have that particular ethnic name.

Maybe I shouldn't be talking bad about my neighbors, but you perfectly described many of the people that live around here where I live.

^This. Glad someone said it.

ac1v.jpg

I think I should show that comic to the people over at the Sexy and Funny Forums (long story how i got involved with that forum.........*please* don't think ill of me as a pervert! O.O), believe it or not what "Beck Jesus" is saying is how many of them feel.

This country has gone to shit. it was so much better when slick willie was prez

So what actually happened at the rally? Any videos of speeches to watch?

Fortunately, it mostly was just about God and honoring the troops from what I've seen.

A few swipes at Obama from Palin, MLK's niece took swipes at abortion, same-sex marriages and "no prayer in public schools" and what not, but besides that it seemed a relatively non-event for this kind of crowd.

Since that's no longer an issue, why is my statement hillarious?

So it's more like
"I keep forgetting how backwards a lot of the country is compared to Arizona which is even more backward in some regards but I don't like them so they don't count."

Classy.

And yeah I don't think Glenn Beck should die either, it'd just be great if he became as incommunicado as an early Helen Keller.

Isn't Catherina Wojtowicz that woman who threatened to shoot a blogger a year back or so?

She seems really unstable from reading about her on various sites.

So it's more like
"I keep forgetting how backwards a lot of the country is compared to Arizona which is even more backward in some regards but I don't like them so they don't count."

Classy.
:rolleyes:
No, it's not "more like that" I don't know if you pulled that conclusion out of your ass or what. I think a lot of the country is backwards compared to Arizona because they are more hostile to business and personal freedoms.

Arizona is not more backwards in some regards, and SB1070 was a very POORLY WRITTEN piece of law. That's the problem with it. I have absolutely no problem with deporting illegal immigrants. The issue wasn't with the spirit of the law, it was that the way the law was written essentially caused all citizens to have to carry papers. My issue with the law was in ANYTHING being "compulsory" for a citizen to do. That's my main beef with Obama's healthcare as well- it's COMPULSORY insurance enrollment or penalty of fines or jail. That is just wrong. Arizona has filed a lawsuit, along with many other states, challenging Obama's healthcare for those very reasons, and I think that's great.

Not to mention the culture here is great. Much better than any east coast city or state. California has almost the same culture, but it's GOVERNMENT is far, far different (and insolvent I might add.) It's a west coast thing. We like our freedoms over here.

Oh no, I'm afraid I don't love my freedoms as much as you.

You are so much more freedomey.

How is Arizona culture better than anywhere on the East coast? Who's pulling shit out of their ass now?

Not to mention the culture here is great. Much better than any east coast city or state. California has almost the same culture, but it's GOVERNMENT is far, far different (and insolvent I might add.) It's a west coast thing. We like our freedoms over here.

I hate California culture. I'll take the northeast any day.

As far as I can tell, the north east is the most tolerable society in the USA. I've lived in the deep south, south east, and have visited the midwest, and I couldn't stand any of them. The north east may have its problems, but the average citizen here is so much more tolerable. Probably because the people here are intelligent and rational people. Top 5 IQ states represent! The only exception is NYC.

EDIT: lol, Arizona is #50 on highest IQs in the US.

How is Arizona culture better than anywhere on the East coast? Who's pulling shit out of their ass now?

Don't have to worry about blizzards:LOL:

As far as I can tell, the north east is the most tolerable society in the USA. I've lived in the deep south, south east, and have visited the midwest, and I couldn't stand any of them. The north east may have its problems, but the average citizen here is so much more tolerable. Probably because the people here are intelligent and rational people. Top 5 IQ states represent! The only exception is NYC.

EDIT: lol, Arizona is #50 on highest IQs in the US.

All the rudest people I've ever met have been from NYC, Boston and the like...some of the politest will be from rural areas like Texas or other midwestern states...

The west coast culture is generally more accepting to various lifestyles and ideas. There is no factoid or statistic I can give you to verify that- it's just a matter of experiencing different places and types of people throughout your life. And I'm not just talking about race. The East is just more uptight and prude.

Oh no, I'm afraid I don't love my freedoms as much as you.

You are so much more freedomey.

Hey man, if I can go outside smoke a blunt talking about opening my new business with super low business taxes, all while armed and the population at large wouldn't really trip on it that's cool with me. There's not a lot of places like that. I'm not just talking law enforcement standpoint I mean cultural acceptance.

My issue with the law was in ANYTHING being "compulsory" for a citizen to do. That's my main beef with Obama's healthcare as well- it's COMPULSORY insurance enrollment or penalty of fines or jail. That is just wrong. Arizona has filed a lawsuit, along with many other states, challenging Obama's healthcare for those very reasons, and I think that's great.

It's rather ironic that the due to pursuit of economic freedom has resulted in compulsory insurance enrollment for you. If it weren't for the ridiculous amount of lobbying power the health insurance and pharmaceutical industry have, you guys would have a public option that would be both a massive improvement to the heath care system itself as well as the standard of living in the U.S. Also, at least 35,000 wouldn't die everywhere because of being unable to afford health bills.

RakuraiTenjin said:

If you're a business in Arizona, sure. If you're a person, you're much better off in any state that doesn't have Joe Arpaio in it, bulldozing houses, beating people blind and being condemned by Amnesty International for his treatment of inmates.

It's rather ironic that the due to pursuit of economic freedom has resulted in compulsory insurance enrollment for you. If it weren't for the ridiculous amount of lobbying power the health insurance and pharmaceutical industry have, you guys would have a public option that would be both a massive improvement to the heath care system itself as well as the standard of living in the U.S. Also, at least 35,000 wouldn't die everywhere because of being unable to afford health bills.
It isn't due to economic freedom- it is due to corrupt politicians claiming the commerce clause gives the federal government the regulate absolutely anything it pleases. COMPULSORY PURCHASING is the ANTITHESIS of economic freedom

If you're a business in Arizona, sure. If you're a person, you're much better off in any state that doesn't have Joe Arpaio in it
That's just Maricopa County, and I agree against his tactics, but the state itself and Maricopa County officials have been duking it out with him lately quite a lot. There is a lot of legal action going on that doesnt make it into the media outside of Arizona so much. I'm not talking about fed actions against him either, I'm talking about lawsuits from county officials as well as auditing uncovering abuse of purchasing power, etc.

bulldozing houses
The hell are you on about? Hell if they did that to vacant houses it might help the market here. But there is definately not house bulldozing going on. The only thing I can even think you're referring to is the proposed Loop 202 Freeway expansion, but that was rerouted and no homes were ever bulldozed, it was just one proposed route of several.

beating people blind and being condemned by Amnesty International for his treatment of inmates.
Maricopa County Jails are pretty damn shitty to be in, but they are definately not so terrible as Amnesty International should be weighing in. Thats a political jab at Sherriff Arpaio. While I am against Arpaio, I wont stand by and let it tarnish the reputation of Arizona. The entire MCSO and staff is not the emodiment of Sheriff Joe Arpaio. The real issue to take up is private state prisons and issues with those (nationwide problem), rather than issues with any county jails.

The west coast culture is generally more accepting to various lifestyles and ideas. There is no factoid or statistic I can give you to verify that- it's just a matter of experiencing different places and types of people throughout your life. And I'm not just talking about race. The East is just more uptight and prude.

Not at all in my experience. The west may be more open, but the south sure as **** ain't.

I assume youre using the NEAP map, which isnt about IQ so much as elementary school test results. Aside from that, the difference between the min and max avg IQs by state is about 5 points, negligible. The data is useless.

Well, actually I shouldn't have said IQ. Got my studies mixed up. AZ ranked last in a study by the company Morgan Quinto to figure out the smartest states. They judged states on things like high school drop out rates, fourth and eighth grade proficiency in mathmatics, writing, and reading, class attendance, etc. http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

AZ is actually only 45th on the IQ study done by Michael McDaniels of the Virginia Ccommonwealth University

My issue with the law was in ANYTHING being "compulsory" for a citizen to do. That's my main beef with Obama's healthcare as well- it's COMPULSORY insurance enrollment or penalty of fines or jail. That is just wrong. Arizona has filed a lawsuit, along with many other states, challenging Obama's healthcare for those very reasons, and I think that's great.

So you want car insurance non compulsory then?

It isn't due to economic freedom- it is due to corrupt politicians claiming the commerce clause gives the federal government the regulate absolutely anything it pleases. COMPULSORY PURCHASING is the ANTITHESIS of economic freedom

The free market has made it almost economically suicidal to live in the U.S. without having health insurance, thanks to corporations lobbying Washington to allow for "economic freedom" and other conservative rhetorical nonsense. If it weren't for those lobbyists brainwashing the public into believing this crap, you would literally have more economic freedom than you do now, because then you would have an option to choose the private or public health care system, instead of this bollocks "compulsory insurance" compromise that got passed through.

Government regulation is not the problem here, it's the corporate pressure that forced congress to compromise on their promise of a single-payer/universal health care system. We have both public and private options over here in Australia, no one goes bankrupt from medical bills nor does the mentally ill turn to crime in order to afford pharmaceuticals over here. That's because we have regulations in place that allow the government to subsidize and control the price of drugs. Because of that kind of regulation, our drug prices are 3 to 6 times cheaper than the U.S. and the drug companies are still able to turn a profit. That's just one thing we do differently to the U.S. that saves Australia a ridiculous amount of money in health-care.

The logic you're using is Milton Friedman "Getting rid of the minimum wage improves living standards" logic you're using. Ayn Rand stuff. It's like the logic behind Communism, only to other extreme. In theory it sounds alright, but in practice it's completely awful because of individual greed.

RakuraiTenjin said:
The hell are you on about?
This was still about Joe Arpaio, whose known for performing full raids on suspected illegal immigrants and drug dealers that are both massively disproportionate to the alleged crimes committed, as well as completely reckless to the safety of bystanders. Everything there was about Joe Arpaio, not Arizona in general. Although...

RakuraiTenjin said:
Maricopa County Jails are pretty damn shitty to be in, but they are definately not so terrible as Amnesty International should be weighing in. That's a political jab at Sherriff Arpaio. While I am against Arpaio, I wont stand by and let it tarnish the reputation of Arizona.

When a guy like Arpaio is made Sheriff in Maricopa County, the largest county in the state, its going to reflect on your state whether you like it or not. Saying that you wont stand by and let it tarnish the reputation of Arizona means literally nothing because it's not your opinion that effects how people view him and Arizona.

Also, the prison system in the U.S. is generally terrible, so saying it could be worse still isn't much of an improvement. But you can't blame Arizona for that.

So you want car insurance non compulsory then?
Car insurance is NOT compulsory. I can own a car and not have car insurance. As an agreement of using the vehicle on the public highway system I need to have it insured, though. And that's just for motor vehicles. I can use a buggy, bike, or other non motorized transport on the public highway system without having car insurance.

I can have a car on private property all I want, drive 150mph and smash it to pieces and so long as i dont harm anyone elses property or put anyone else in danger the government cant tell me a god damned thing about it.

Obama's Compulsory Insurance Enrollment is compulsory for everyone, no choice or way to not enroll (unless you're of a protected race/subgroup) and if you neglect to do so you face fines or jail.

The free market has made it almost economically suicidal to live in the U.S. without having health insurance, thanks to corporations lobbying Washington to allow for "economic freedom" and other conservative rhetorical nonsense. If it weren't for those lobbyists brainwashing the public into believing this crap, you would literally have more economic freedom than you do now, because then you would have an option to choose the private or public health care system, instead of this bollocks "compulsory insurance" compromise that got passed through.

Government regulation is not the problem here, it's the corporate pressure that forced congress to compromise on their promise of a single-payer/universal health care system. We have both public and private options over here in Australia, no one goes bankrupt from medical bills nor does the mentally ill turn to crime in order to afford pharmaceuticals over here. That's because we have regulations in place that allow the government to subsidize and control the price of drugs. Because of that kind of regulation, our drug prices are 3 to 6 times cheaper than the U.S. and the drug companies are still able to turn a profit. That's just one thing we do differently to the U.S. that saves Australia a ridiculous amount of money in health-care.

The logic you're using is Milton Friedman "Getting rid of the minimum wage improves living standards" logic you're using. Ayn Rand stuff. It's like the logic behind Communism, only to other extreme. In theory it sounds alright, but in practice it's completely awful because of individual greed.

This was still about Joe Arpaio, whose known for performing full raids on suspected illegal immigrants and drug dealers that are both massively disproportionate to the alleged crimes committed, as well as completely reckless to the safety of bystanders. Everything there was about Joe Arpaio, not Arizona in general. Although...

When a guy like Arpaio is made Sheriff in Maricopa County, the largest county in the state, its going to reflect on your state whether you like it or not. Saying that you wont stand by and let it tarnish the reputation of Arizona means literally nothing because it's not your opinion that effects how people view him and Arizona.

Also, the prison system in the U.S. is generally terrible, so saying it could be worse still isn't much of an improvement. But you can't blame Arizona for that.

I am not in favor of absolutely 100% deregulation. I can also purchase very decent private health insurance for about $90 a month and I have some preexisting conditions (bronchitis, liver issues.)

Now the cost of insurance is rising due to the law, and it's becoming harder to enroll and pay monthly rates under employer plans.

For Arpaio- there aren't many super dangerous raids here. I'm not sure where you got that but it was probably a random story that happened and not a regular occurance. What DOES happen from Arpaio are crime sweeps that are questionable as to whether they violate people's fourth amendment rights. I've been in them before and it's not fun. They literally saturate a square mile or so with deputies and EVERYONE gets pulled over from the smallest thing "you swerved 1 degree in your lane. You have a chip in your windshield. Your tire looks kinda low." etc etc etc.

My point about Arpaio and jails tarnishing the reputation was that the MCSO jails might suck to be in, but they DEFINATELY do not merit comments from Amnesty International.

Also the fact that the leadership of Maricopa County has been embroiled in a battle with Arpaio lends credit to that state and county as not being all Arpaio lackeys and fanboys. He gets elected due to the large population of retirees in Maricopa county, and they literally are concentrated in certain areas that are generally age restricted 55+ communities (Sun City, Florence, Buckeye) etc. If there was a map of Arpaio voters by geography in Maricopa I'm sure it would be pretty revealing.

Back