Half-life 2 & Episode 1 Updated With Achievements (Steam Play)

When I started the game today it reloaded all of the models and maps. I'm not sure, but I think this is because they did update them all... But, I could be wrong.

YUUUUUSSS! Not that I haven't already earned more than enough on the Achievement list a
bazillion-thousand dozen times in the past, ("Crowbar Challenge", namely!) but now I can
do it all over again! Yaaay! :(

Finally! Alyx and the vorts have their EP2 models.

seriously, why? I mean maybe the vorts in HL2 were just all oldies, but Alyx's HL2 model was really quite different to the EP1&2 models.

YUUUUUSSS! Not that I haven't already earned more than enough on the Achievement list a
bazillion-thousand dozen times in the past, ("Crowbar Challenge", namely!) but now I can
do it all over again! Yaaay! :(

I didn't see that achievement. But, I do remember beating HL2 with only the crowbar (couldn't use it on gunships :frown:). Had to get creative by using barrels and such as shields so that I could get close as well as frequent use of the save feature.

To me HL1 is a much harder game and every 30 seconds I'd hit quicksave. of course back in the day i was much younger but now we have more checkpoints. COD gives you a checkpoint every 2 mins or so of gameplay.

So, there are technical issues with HDR in HL2, right? I'll wait until Valve fixes that.

This is pretty sweet. New Vorts, flame effects, blood splatters, etc. And achievements are awesome!
19/45 for the Lambdas, after getting to Black Mesa East. Hope I haven't missed any!

A few bugs though, like some broken animations and Black Mesa East's lighting is all messed up (everything is bright, skybox is visibly a cube on all sides, etc.
Gonna try the whole Ravenholm gravity gun only run. Any tips for the rooftop sections w/ fast zombies?
Also is the crowbar/grenades ok?

there's no HDR, why?
There is HDR, but its rather subtle in most levels, the areas that stand out for me is the breencasts in the first level in the station and the plaza, and when your at Black Mesa East

This is pretty sweet. New Vorts, flame effects, blood splatters, etc. And achievements are awesome!
19/45 for the Lambdas, after getting to Black Mesa East. Hope I haven't missed any!

A few bugs though, like some broken animations and Black Mesa East's lighting is all messed up (everything is bright, skybox is visibly a cube on all sides, etc.
Gonna try the whole Ravenholm gravity gun only run. Any tips for the rooftop sections w/ fast zombies?
Also is the crowbar/grenades ok?

at the part where you have to wait for the cart, just jump off the roof and run into the building below the roof you wait on and shut the door until the cart arrives.

what I did.

There definitely is HDR. The screenshots Deathmaster posted CLEARLY show the light intensity decreasing and increasing dynamically. But, there isn't HDR in every level, in some places the lighting is just brighter (City 17) while other levels have full HDR (Sandtraps).

I noticed on the Steam forums Valve is getting a lot of backlash from people for changing HL2. What ungrateful asshats. There wasn't a beta, so bugs have to be expected at first. Valve are releasing a free update, I can't believe there are people who don't appreciate this.

There is HDR, but its rather subtle in most levels, the areas that stand out for me is the breencasts in the first level in the station and the plaza, and when your at Black Mesa East

For the last time, there's no HDR in any level, only bloom.

I noticed on the Steam forums Valve is getting a lot of backlash from people for changing HL2. What ungrateful asshats. There wasn't a beta, so bugs have to be expected at first. Valve are releasing a free update, I can't believe there are people who don't appreciate this.

It's shit, what do you expect?

So my eyes are lying to me, and the light intensity isn't changing dynamically? I'll trust my eyes thanks, not you.

Not arguing for either side, but I'm pretty sure that that could be achieved with bloom.

So my eyes are lying to me, and the light intensity isn't changing dynamically? I'll trust my eyes thanks, not you.

Geez, I have nothing to say to you. You act like a child.

Load up Sandtraps and tell me what you see, because I see lighting that is identical to Episode Two. It isn't in other levels, but there is no way the lighting in Sandtraps is only bloom.

Sorry, but all I see is bloom (in coast levels). This isn't an opinion, or something about my computer, it's technical. There isn't any map using HDR, because Valve simply didn't release them.

Could be different results from video cards too, remember. Just thought I'd point it out
before people got too certain with their own experience.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting every Achievement in one playthrough. Going good so far. Although I don't particularly
like updates in every aspect. I actually made a backup copy the original materials for characters and effects about a
year ago because I was worried if an update were to change everything I wouldn't be able to get them back. I think
I might replace them at some point, not because they look bad, but because I liked having it different from the
Episodes. The later ones had their own style and I like the old Vortigaunt skin with the blue charger beam better for
Half-Life 2. Yeah, personal pickiness aside, it's AWESOME! Surprising replay value, from somebody who's done it
from the ground up a bagzilliationating amount of times.

Alright, I've uploaded some screenshots from Sandtraps. To me, the lighting looks identical to Episode Two, and definitely is updated from the original Bloom-only solution. There are a lot of images, so I'm posting the album, and arrange them from oldest first so the sequences display correctly.

Album.

People are still complaining about the Steam UI update...

sky_day01_08 d1_eli_01.BSP
sky_day02_07 d2_coast_11.BSP
sky_day02_01 d1_town_05.BSP

See, they didn't even use the HDR skybox textures. What you see could be bloom, dynamic tone mapping, or something else. All I know it's not HDR.

Hmm...The effect is similar, and it's strange to see it applied to some maps, and not others. What's there difference between the lighting in Sandtraps and full HDR? What's been added looks no different to Lost Coast or Episode 2 to me.

I'm not an expert but I think that downloading new maps compiled with HDR should mean 4 or 5 Gigabytes. A huge update. Maybe Valve is going for the small steps way. Adding Mac support, they have to test and fix much more bugs than ever, so they are taking their time.

So, HL2 2007 has no HDR at all, or Valve forgot to include it in this update? I don't understand.
Actually, in that file, there are some BMP files that are 15-35mb in size, only coast and prison. And there's some Kb size LMP files for the rest of the levels.

Hey, I found "half-life 2 2007 base content.GCF" which happen to have the new maps. I thought the maps were stored in "half-life 2 content.GCF". So yes, these maps have HDR:

sky_day01_08_hdr d1_eli_01.BSP
sky_day02_01_hdr d1_town_05.BSP
sky_day02_07_hdr d2_coast_11.BSP

Something is missing. It doesn't look right. Watch this, you will see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEg0oyCOt7s

Perhaps they chose levels that have lots of daylight/lighting? The lamps in Prospekt had quite the effect on other surfaces too. Or maybe the update is not complete?...

Some levels look washed up, there is extremely bright, or dark surfaces. Like you stated in your previous post, they didn't release all the maps.

I'm thinking that maybe they just want to do the update in smaller segments and fix arising bugs along that way little at a time. But I don't really have a big problem with this.

I just want to point out that this update was completely free, so it's all gravy! Don't take for granted Valve's generosity in continually providing regular free content and upgrades to their games.

I just want to point out that this update was completely free, so it's all gravy! Don't take for granted Valve's generosity in continually providing regular free content and upgrades to their games.

Just because it's free we should be happy that it's half assed. I'm sorry but this update is well below Valve standards. There is so many obvious bugs and glitches in it that would never make it into a Valve game. I'm looking at the skyboxes in the levels and alot of them are messed up in that you can see the edges of them. This is because when you import a Source 04 map into Source 2007 it doesn't stretch them leaving the edges clearly visible. See here. http://img179.imageshack.us/i/d1canals060000.jpg/

yeah there were quite a few grapical ****ups, a great dissapointment from valve. I'll try get some screens from what I've seen so far. I haven't played much yet but black mesa east is the worst.

Here's what Black Mesa East looks like:

I don't think that's right....

Breen's broken animation is pretty damn funny.

I only got 1 bad skybox (that I noticed) by the dam that you have to open. But yeah the **** ups are really non-relevent to me since the overall is pretty damn awesome. It's not like Valve will ignore them when they get the reports.

Back