Half Life 3 Ideas

Nameerf

Headcrab
Reaction score
We all basically know Half Life 3 is like the second coming, it could happen tomorrow or in a million years, so with that in mind I'm just curious what would valve fans like to see in the game? I personally would like to see.

-The Borealis (basically the whole Sea-Station confrontation they've been planning since Half Life 2 but that got cut, this would also include whatever the Tech Eli was worried about, be it a Portal Gun or something else.

-New Weapons(pretty self explanatory)

-More Gravity Gun Interaction( I know the gravity gun is already highly advanced but it'd be cool to see it branch out farther beyond what it can already do, maybe to cross a chasm you have to sprint and jump and use the gravity gun to swing on a loose piece of metal across, think of all the possibilities!

-Down The Sights Aiming For All Guns(this isn't that important but its pretty much the only area HL feels a bit outdated compared to most modern shooters)

Vehicles That Are Actually Fun To Drive(maybe a setpiece where you get control of a gunship?)

So thats just what I've thought of now, what do you want to see?

We all basically know Half Life 3 is like the second coming, it could happen tomorrow or in a million years

Yeah I'm thinking the latter is more likely.

SteamEngine exclusive.

Vehicles That Are Actually Fun To Drive(maybe a setpiece where you get control of a gunship?)

Wait so are you implying the vehicles we've driven so far are not fun? How silly.

Wait so are you implying the vehicles we've driven so far are not fun? How silly.

I think the things we got to do with the Vehicles were fun like running over Combine, or pulling off a crazy jump with the Airboat. But in my opinion the vehicles(the airboat in particular) are a total pain in the ass. I play on 360 so maybe its different on PC but that thing honestly has some of the worst vehicle controls I have ever encountered. I cant tell you how many times I attempted to make a turn only to have the airboat sabotage me for some reason and send me in the other direction, and dont even get me started about that final jump over into the Bay that Black Mesa East was located in, on my most recent playthrough it took me 5+ times to pull it off.

-Down The Sights Aiming For All Guns(this isn't that important but its pretty much the only area HL feels a bit outdated compared to most modern shooters)

This doesn't seem like a necessity to me if the motivation is just "because everyone else is doing it."

This doesn't seem like a necessity to me if the motivation is just "because everyone else is doing it."

Yeah admittedly I agree, its not a necessity it'd still be cool though, I'd be fine if you could just shoot while you have the variable Zoom activated, cause only being able to zoom with the Crossbow is kinda lame IMO.

They should add a wingsuit to the HEV.

G-Man should also grow a mustache.

Whenever wingsuits come up I always think of Captain Lennox in Transformers, giving the soldiers that bullshit speech, always good for a laugh.

I don't want down-sight at all. It works for some games, but Valve has proven they do not need it for a single one of theirs so far.

I really dislike shooting from iron sights in games like HL. It just isn't satisfying in a run and gun type of game for me.

Yeah I don't care if they incorporate iron sights into their other games, just leave Half-Life the way it's always been.

I really dislike shooting from iron sights in games like HL. It just isn't satisfying in a run and gun type of game for me.

Yeah, it tends to work better for games like Borderlands or CoD that are not quite as fast-paced as HL or Counter Strike.

Just ask yourself: do any of the games in the Call of Duty series have the same quality as any of the games in the Half-Life series? No. So why should Half-Life sink down to the level of Call of Duty?

Well I wouldn't say iron sights are necessarily a bad thing. Borderlands and STALKER both make excellent use of them, but the key difference is that HL is a true RUN and gun, not a walk-at-a-leisurely-pace-and-gun. You can speedrun Ravenholm in like 12 minutes with some practice, 9 if you're really good. I've had single objectives in Borderlands take far longer.

There was a feel to Episode Two that really separated it from the past ones, I guess it was the changed landscape (antlion nests and country outposts, **** yes) but it gave this sense of something... grander. Often in the other games there's a feeling of isolation,which is great for a time, except that it kinda strangles the storyline a bit. Anyway, Episode Two had a really nice feel which I'd like to see more of.

Action action action . So many epic, "boss battle" fights in HL2. More of what VALVe seem to do best with HL.

No on iron-sights, leave that to Call of Duty.

Maybe flying a chopper could be cool, or a gunship or something? But it'd have to be first person, which'd be weird.

More introductory fight scenes like the first encounter with hunters in Episode Two, I love the "Get ready" moment of anticipation there.
More of VALVe's epic showcase of their animation abilities with scripted (fight) sequences such as Dog v. Strider or the EP2 final scene.

Maybe less cheap humour - sorta contradicts the dystopia mood. "The combine are a real class act!" wtf.

- More vehicles to control
- More Combine enemy troops
- More new weapons, etc
- Complete new regions, maps
- More alien friendly/non-friendly species

-Better hair physics (some engines have incorporated realistic hair physics for the next gen, like Squarenix' Luminous and Crystal Dynamics had something better than static hair with some jigglebones, in Tomb Raider w/ TressFX).
-Better AI, Combine soldiers were rather pathetic but the worst of the AI in HL2 was the rebels. They both need some great new AI. I'm sure the AI director would be a good way to make them challenging.

-Better hair physics (some engines have incorporated realistic hair physics for the next gen, like Squarenix' Luminous and Crystal Dynamics had something better than static hair with some jigglebones, in Tomb Raider w/ TressFX).
-Better AI, Combine soldiers were rather pathetic but the worst of the AI in HL2 was the rebels. They both need some great new AI. I'm sure the AI director would be a good way to make them challenging.

I want an actual hard mode. I can blast my way through any of the HL2 titles on hard with little to no effort.

Now I feel ashamed for never having played any of the Half-Life titles on hard mode. I've always played on easy.

I also play games like Hotline Miami because I enjoy hating the game I am playing for whatever idiotic reason. Don't feel too bad Shem.

...so with that in mind I'm just curious what would valve fans like to see in the game?
Time travel. You could say it was telegraphed by the "slow" portal trip from Nova Prospekt to Eli's lab in HL2.
The whole "portal gun" idea was cannibalised by Portal/2, making it hard to imagine how it would have any plot impact.
Plus, time travel might allow some wry in/meta-jokes about the delay in releasing...

The only instance in which I will find time travel acceptable from a narrative standpoint is implementation of the seven hour war.

If anything I would rather have things that involve the story or improve the immersion of the story first before valve puts time and effort into other mechanics like ADS (though I really wouldn't want ADS in the first place). I see AI as something that should be the primary focus with things like physics, weapon mechanics, and finally graphics coming afterwards.
I see AI as something that would affect our experience in the game the most. It could involve how Alyx reacts to us when we do something specific, to how Combine work together to make the game more challenging for the player (I would like to emphasize the word challenging...not hard).
If this is going to be a single player game, then our interaction with the world will be primarily governed by how much detail is put into how the AI reacts to our actions. There will of course be physics puzzles or, according to Valve, something BETTER than portal mechanics; however, I see AI as something that should almost always come first....otherwise we get a bunch of spunkgargleweewee, which I do not believe Valve would ever do but I'm just making a point.

chich

Time travel. You could say it was telegraphed by the "slow" portal trip from Nova Prospekt to Eli's lab in HL2.
The whole "portal gun" idea was cannibalised by Portal/2, making it hard to imagine how it would have any plot impact.
Plus, time travel might allow some wry in/meta-jokes about the delay in releasing...

Yeah time travel would be pretty awesome. Maybe a gun that lets you manipulate time somehow? Like the Gravity Gun but for time? Ahhh, I dont know how that would work but that would be awesome.

Also on another note, I would really like to finally see the whole overarching mythology with the G-man solved. Like seriously who is this guy? Who are his employers? Why the hell can he do all this stuff? Just imagine you break into the G-man's world or something and find like a giant office complex full of guys like him, and then maybe his employers could hire you to take him down. But whatever the case I would love to see that explored more.

I don't mind people not wanting it in the HL franchise, they have their opinions and tastes and if they don't want change, no problem.

However, aiming down sights was an attempt at modernising and adding realism to games featuring guns before COD and all these modern shooters using it even happened. So when I see comments that go along the lines of "Don't add iron sights because you're making it like COD and COD is bad and I do not like COD" it kinda gets on my tits.

Personally I'd love to have the option of aiming down the sights of a gun I'm holding in pretty much any FPS. That's what I'd do if I actually had a gun, not shoot it from the hip using my ultra-precise cross-hair of imagination. I like realism and I like being put into a position where I can really be immersed in the game as if I was actually standing there holding the weapon.

Someone will probably take this comment the wrong way.

Yeah, Wolfenstein did that really well. The gun did not take up your whole view but any of them could be iron-sighted.

I generally don't like playing shooters on hard because in most cases it just makes it a bullet sponge fest. There's only two things I want from the next game, and that's more aliens (less Ant-Lions) and more isolation (no Alyx following me around).

I generally don't like playing shooters on hard because in most cases it just makes it a bullet sponge fest. There's only two things I want from the next game, and that's more aliens (less Ant-Lions) and more isolation (no Alyx following me around).

I just wish hard in most games was actually hard. Half Life 2 on Hard is a joke. There is exactly one part of the whole game that is difficult at all, and that's the Combine onslaught in Entanglement. Aside from that, the whole game is easy to play without dying even once from enemy attacks.

I'm looking forward to Bioshock Infinite's 1999 mode when I get it.

Blasphemy!!! Alyx is pure awesome, her character is one of the things that made Half-life 2 and the episodes really memorable!

New user here.. Thought i'd finally join a forum regarding my favourite franchise in the world!!

Also, i agree with many of the gameplay mechanics that everyones suggesting (Not sure about ADS though, seems unnecessary for the style of gameplay HL has).
My main suggestion for Half-life 3 is in regards to the story and AI more than anything, and its for it to have a friggen fulfilling satisfying ending for once, enough with these painful mind-bending endings.
Also like nameerf said, some insight to G-man would be nice, he has been an mysterious enigma throughout the HL saga.
Lastly, if alyx is still prominently at your side in the sequel, maybe Valve could take cues from Bioshock: Infinite, like having alyx react more to stuff you do in the world.
Very intrigued to see everyones suggestions on the future of HL!!

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask, but i was wondering if someone could tell me how to change your username?

You'll have to ask someone who has the mystic powers to do so, or hope they see your post.

What I want to know is why you registered with a name that you want to change 30 minutes later?

Just
You'll have to ask someone who has the mystic powers to do so, or hope they see your post.

What I want to know is why you registered with a name that you want to change 30 minutes later?

Just wanted to quickly make an account so I could post a reply to this thread :p

Oh so you're one of those people who use a different name for everything, huh?

vegeta897-4-lyfe

Sorry, I cannot allow you to change your name from Ajaib to that.

Just no.

Back