HL2 aliens and halo's flood?

M

Mr Cheif

HAs anyone else noticed the uncanny similarity between the aliens on HL2 and the flood on Halo and Halo 2. Both are initially based on face grabber thingys that re-animate their vitims and corpses into zombies and give them deadly claws! Is this a case of plagerism or merely a genric idea of weid slimey aliens?

Not only that, but the entire scenerio in Halo 1 when the flood occurs is like the beginning of Half-Life 1.

I wouldn't really say it's a rip off - it's inspired by HL1, and HL1 was inspired by something else, etc.

Yes, there has been a thread on thise before.

similar...but Halflife has had them alot longer...before theres any assumptions it was a Halo born idea.

definetly not plagerism because halflife 1 had headcrabs that mutated victims before Halo was out. So if at all- halo 2 is the culprit. But i doubt it. They are very different aliens.

Sorry pauly if if i suggested any plagerism it was halo 1 copyin HL1

the only similiaritie is that they turn dead bodies in zombies

i dont c any similarites with halo and hl i mean the flood are like parasites kinda

Hectic Glenn said:
similar...but Halflife has had them alot longer...before theres any assumptions it was a Halo born idea.

*cough*Alien *cough*

Quelaar

Did anyone notice that on Silent Cartographer in Halo 1 when you go inside of that one structure, and just before you fight the two hunters one of the songs from Half Life starts playing (no joke).

i never notice hl1 even had music, maybe when i played music volume was off?

the Thing didn't latch onto peoples faces though....

actually, it just killed the person and transformed the DNA to match itself.

It is correct in the Alien -> HL1 -> Halo.

Headcrabs were inspired by the face huggers of Alien

It's a generic sci-fi sorta alien parasite deal. How many movies have you seen that have some kind of parasite that turns people into monsters? Plenty. Halo and HL1 aren't breaking new ground with this one...

KagePrototype said:
I assume none of you have seen Aliens then? Or The Thing? :p

half-life does draw some of its inspiration from aliens, with regards to the headcrabs and soforth.

but half-lifes main story-line and main ideas of interdimensional portals and etc have some inspiration from other deeper materials, but half-life actually was the birthplace of most of this itself so hl was truely original itself. it has lots of other original ideas with sugggestion to its creatures and other things.

halo2 may well have been inspired, as inspiration catches on, but i am afraid what they came up with is too much of a copy of half-lifes ideas. there is inspiration, and then there is just plain copying of the idea and halo is a cheap rip-off.

may it burn in hell for insulting the original ideas of hl

er, the halo2 story is considerably different to that of hl2.

pretty damn different actually, one of the few similarities are headcrabs/small flood which are both originally from other things.

so, as we've all heard 3093020.3 times before, hl/hl2 isn't completely original so stop trying to make out it is and that games copied it, when they simply used other sources.

moggy said:
half-life does draw some of its inspiration from aliens, with regards to the headcrabs and soforth.

but half-lifes main story-line and main ideas of interdimensional portals and etc have some inspiration from other deeper materials, but half-life actually was the birthplace of most of this itself so hl was truely original itself. it has lots of other original ideas with sugggestion to its creatures and other things.

I was only really referring to the headcrabs...but nevertheless, you're not making any sense. First you say that Half-Life's main storyline is inspired from a number of places, and then you say "HL was really the first to do all of this"? I'm not really following you here. I can't really agree that HL was that original, either...it was Doom with X-Files chucked on-top.

halo2 may well have been inspired, as inspiration catches on, but i am afraid what they came up with is too much of a copy of half-lifes ideas. there is inspiration, and then there is just plain copying of the idea and halo is a cheap rip-off.

may it burn in hell for insulting the original ideas of hl

How did Halo copy Half-Life?

And before movies, there were these things called books.

KagePrototype said:
I was only really referring to the headcrabs...but nevertheless, you're not making any sense. First you say that Half-Life's main storyline is inspired from a number of places, and then you say "HL was really the first to do all of this"? I'm not really following you here. I can't really agree that HL was that original, either...it was Doom with X-Files chucked on-top.QUOTE]

what i mean is this. if it did borrow a few ideas from movies etc.

it was deffinately the first game to put together or integrate these minor ideas and its own and encapsulate it all into its own unique story and action.

I think Halo draws the most heavily off of aliens, From many of the things the sarge says(actually the sarge in general), the similarity to the xenowhatevers that the elites have (they also have predator like characteristics) the similarity of the dropships, the similarity of the pillar of autumn.

Also system shock came out well before hl1 and it had thew worms that got into people heads and made them into mutants. So did hl1 rip off of that game? The whole idea of creatures that posess mutate.....etc. Has been around well before any game and pobably for hundreds of years. Mutants/zombies are in almost every game in some shape or form, because, well I don't know why.

If you want to look at the Flood through Half-life glasses, I think they take over people like headcrabs, but move and explode like snarks.

Yeah people get use to it, it's going to happen alot..:rolleyes:

The thing about the swarm was that it really was a swarm... not 4 zombies looking sheepish and lurching into walls. There was this real "**** **** reload! reload faster damnit" tension when the wall just exploded with tens of (really really fast) creeping things. Or when you just emptyed clip after clip into this moving wall of nasties. Considering how bad a port Halo was, the swarm rocked.

Back