HL2 and 512 or 1024 MB RAM ?

Can you mix DDR and SDDR ram? I'm not expert, so this may be a terribly dumb quesion.

Holy crap. Where did the post counts go?

And vegeta, I like your avatar

And Frank, I have the same system as you.

XiroKe said:
Can you mix DDR and SDDR ram? I'm not expert, so this may be a terribly dumb quesion.
*GASP*

Do... do you dare?

WHO KNOWS WHAT COULD HAPPEN!!

(lol actually I really don't know anything about that, sorry)

you can never have enough memory. the more the better. in my opinion you should get ATLEAST a gig of ram. it is not expensive, so get as much as you can.

XiroKe said:

NO. Check your mother board specs for what it supports. Some motherboards could 'support both' but never at the same time.

Get as much RAM as you can get and boost your E-Penis today!

Can I check which type of RAM I got without opening the cover? I'm kinda lazy, you know. :D

u lazy biatch. open the cover. Us geeks usually love doing that. Makes us feel we know what we are doing... :D

Oxygenetic said:
Get as much RAM as you can get and boost your E-Penis today!

HAHAHAHAHA ... that was funny as hell ... nice ...

1 gig

You will get the highest resolution textures if you have a gig of system RAM (and a reasonably recent video card.) We drop the textures a mipmap level if you have 512MB.

Gary
Valve

Going from 512 MB to 1 GB made a HUGE difference for loading times in Far Cry. You can probably expect the same for HL 2. More memory is always better.

vegeta897 said:
People just get so crazy, and instantly think that it would be better to buy 1024 for HL2.

A huge difference my eye.
Games aren't memory intensive...

you sound like someone who has 512 ram. depending on the game it definately helps a lot. games will see a load time decrease, not to mention elimination of that annoying jerkiness you get at the beginning of every level.

and when exiting out of games back to windows, theres a definite difference.

DO NOT GET MORE THAN 2 STICKS OF RAM. THIS SLOWS THE SPEED OF YOUR RAM DOWN.

Your options are:
256x2 :D
512+256 :|
512x2 :D
1024x2 :E
512x1 :D
256x1 :(

Subatomic said:
DO NOT GET MORE THAN 2 STICKS OF RAM. THIS SLOWS THE SPEED OF YOUR RAM DOWN.

Your options are:
256x2 :D
512+256 :|
512x2 :D
1024x2 :E
512x1 :D
256x1 :(

You forgot 2048x2 and 128 and 64 and 32 lol.

... Your VM is 1.5GB or your Physical RAM is 1.5GB?

Your pagefile should always be more than your RAM.

To hell with the pagefile - what a waste of hard disk space! With 1.5Gb or RAM, who *needs* virtual memory?? I'm not gonna chew up 3 gig of space for a 1.5 gig hibernation file + 1.5 gig swap file!

Mines at 200 megs btw just for the sake of it.

OK guys. Toaday i have buyed another 512 MB of RAM, so now i have 1024 MB and the difference in HL2 is really huge. No i can run with HIGH World and Model details and i have much more less stuttering. Its really great now !!

If not upgrade for HL2, upgrade for other games...1gb memory never goes a miss with many of the latest games.

Back