HL2.net Arma 2 Ace 2 Information Videos

Hey, Just want to say thanks to Vegeta for the install guide for ACE! I tried a while back to get it all working manually and it was a nightmare. Also those videos from Raziaar are really informative, awesome job!

I used to make missions and a few addons back in the flashpoint days, and played ARMAII pretty heavily over at TacticalGamer prior to ACE launching, the new features seem pretty decent. I would love to jump in on a game with you guys one night, if you ever have a space free. :)

We usually have plenty of space. We often do missions that recommend a lot more people than we actually play them with. And Garg, like Vegeta said, it only updates on Fridays. So you only need to update on Friday nights at worst, and you should only really need to do that if we are playing that night. Otherwise just update before a scheduled game, or each Saturday (since they might release a hotfix after a Friday night patch).

Also, if we're going to play this Saturday, let me know asap so I don't make plans that conflict.

We usually have plenty of space. We often do missions that recommend a lot more people than we actually play them with. And Garg, like Vegeta said, it only updates on Fridays. So you only need to update on Friday nights at worst, and you should only really need to do that if we are playing that night. Otherwise just update before a scheduled game, or each Saturday (since they might release a hotfix after a Friday night patch).

Also, if we're going to play this Saturday, let me know asap so I don't make plans that conflict.
Oh! Thanks for clarifying.

I kinda read through Vegeta's post too quickly I guess.

Anyway, I'd especially like to play that zombie mission, loved the various zombie addons/missions for OFP.

We might play today/tonight.

I hosted last time, so it's ok if you can't host today Krynn.

I also have a ton of missions to give you.

I suppose we could start with that if we have enough people in the beginning.

Well, if you do setup a game, I hope one of you guys drops me a line on Steam and I'll hook up my headset.

I'm probably not making it until late tonight, so don't wait up.

Can people please post their availability for Saturday and Sunday?

Should be around tomorrow somewhere in the region of 6pm EST.

3pm-9pm EST. Likely the same for Sunday, but not sure till how late I can play then.

Well hmm, I wonder if BH can make it tomorrow.

Yeah I'll try to be around at 6pm tomorrow. Hopefully won't be feeling so crappy by then.

I forgot I'll be at my grandma's birthday tomorrow, but I should be back before too late.

I'll totally be around tommorow too, hopefully I'll be able to play.

I should be leaving soon, ya'll can start if everyone's ready and I'm not back yet.

I don't think you should need that many satchels to blow up two pink boxes. Two, maybe three should do it. Other than that though, I think its a great idea!

I just did that for aesthetic purposes, of course it won't actually require that many. We'll try to get the gameplay balanced before we try it out with everyone.

Okay, what is everyone's availability tonight? And by that I mean somewhere around 7 or 8 pm EST to whenever.

I should be around tomorrow morning (or tonight for you guys I guess).

I want to play another game! Stupid work ruling out weekend games.

Did some testing of Viper's first beta of the Blast Corps mission with Badhat, Krynn, Frosted, and of course Viper. There were some show stopping bugs at first, and then a very apparent problem with certain turns in the path. I suggested that there be a sort of buffer where you'd have to be under the required speed for like 3 seconds before you explode. This prevents getting screwed over by catching the corner of some dirt or grass and dipping below speed for a small time.

We didn't get a chance to test the new version with this fix, so we didn't get very far in the mission. But let me say that I got enough of a taste to see this is going to be seriously fun. Planting satchels at the first barricade and then turning around to see the bus rounding a corner on its way toward us... Man that really got my blood pumping. I can't wait to play this when it's all ready.

In other news, BIS released some new ARMA III screenshots.

http://www.arma3.com/devblog/Hephaestus_Arma3_screenshots_forums_001.jpg
http://www.arma3.com/devblog/Ares_Arma3_screenshots_forums_002.jpg
http://www.arma3.com/devblog/Aphrodite_Arma3_screenshots_forums_003.jpg
http://www.arma3.com/devblog/Zeus_Arma3_screenshots_forums_004.jpg

The tall vegetation is really cool, especially if you can flatten it with tanks and stuff.

But what really caught my interest was this shot:

I mean look at this:

66gZr.jpg

xPKNW.jpg

Consider how detailed the ground looks from all the way up here. Then realize that all of that terrain can be explored, traveled, and fought in, with no boundaries, in as much detail as you see in the other screenshots. And this is only a portion of the whole island!

This game is gonna be awesome.

Hmm it looks pretty, but my Radeon 5850 already had difficulty running Arma 2 smoothly.. have to play on mostly low-medium settings to get a 30+ framerate @ 1920*1080. I hope the system requirements of Arma 3 won't be too high although I can understand it not being easy with such an open-ended game. I'm excited about their promise of better physics and animations!

Holy Molly, that looks amazing!

We sure have come a long way since Operation Fla.. I mean ARMA: Cold War Assault.

Anyway, I am confident my PC will be able to run ARMA3 maxed at 1080P with an average FPS of 10, I can't wait!

This prevents getting screwed over by catching the corner of some dirt or grass and dipping below speed for a small time.
Ugh. It was so late that I had forgotten which language I was using. I could have written a buffer in super easily if Arma missions actually used even partially object oriented code. I thought of a decent workaround today, but my god is this language pissing me off lately. That whole lag business at the beginning was boggling my mind. I mean Dom uses dozens of scripts that do nothing but check the position of objects every 0.1s, while if I have one that does it to a handful of vehicles it craps out on us.

I had thought of a buffer earlier but I decided that I wanted part of the difficulty to be getting a decent driver. As evidenced by my failure, that might not be the case. That turn is way easy in 3rd person, btw. But I'm not going to let the buffer be 3 seconds. With laggy netcode and the rate at which the bus accelerates in second gear, I think that would just be too easy. So while we're testing it will be 3, but in the final version it will be 2 at most.

Back