How about some BF2?

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
Anyone want to have a little BF2 action?

My BF3 website just got a 32 player BF2 server that I'm in control of. We're having a BF2 game night in a couple weeks and one of the DICE community managers will be there.

In the meantime the server sits empty and unused... we could have some awesome HL2.net squad on squad action.

I'm reinstalling BF2 as we speak, so if anybody else wants to get in on this lets DO IT.

I'll post up the server details if anyone expresses interest. I'm working on getting a ventrilo/mumble server for Battlefieldo too so hopefully we'll have that as well.

I'm down. Shall we set a time?

Like I said, my site is having a game night this Friday from 3 EST on. We're trying to get as many people to play as possible. All hl2netters are more than welcome! A guy or two from DICE should be playing with us for some of the time.

I might be able to hop on for an hour or so! Going away from the weekend... :\

Just an update: zh1nt0 (DICE global Battlefield community manager) and a "crew" of DICE guys are going to be playing with us, so if you'd like to meet some guys from DICE you really should attend.

We got posted on the official EA Battlefield blog and twitter so we expect high attendance. We're looking at getting more servers to accommodate the turnout. Be there or be square!

Arrrgh, where are my CD keys?
You know what's funny? I have my CD key. I've had it in my treasured manual for 6 years now. But I lost my actual BF2 DVD somewhere at a friend's house. And every questionable source of finding some kind of alternative digital image of said DVD that is available is a modified version of it that won't work online. And none of my friends have the DVD. Makes me sad. I'll try and find a way of installing it today/tomorrow, but my hopes are low.

Alright, after hours of reinstalling, I finally got it to work (thank you EA/DICE, for not understanding what x64 is). I'll try and hop on tomorrow, but I'm not sure when because I have a noon exam.

The game night doesn't start until 8 PM GMT so you should have plenty of time after noon :p

Also, if you guys are running it through Steam or have a Steam copy, be advised that using the Steam Community overlay causes punkbuster to boot you from servers. At least for me it does.

I live in Pacific. 8GMT = 12PST. 3 hour exam, takes me an hour to get home, meaning I'd start playing 4 hours after the scheduled time. ^.^

I live in Pacific. 8GMT = 12PST. 3 hour exam, takes me an hour to get home, meaning I'd start playing 4 hours after the scheduled time. ^.^

And all that work was for nothing.

Derp, I should probably be more organised. Exam's at 830. So yeah, I'll be there at start time. Anyone else besides us few...?

Sweet! The event starts in an hour and a half or so.

The earlier you get in the better, there's no telling how quickly our 64 player server will fill.

We are getting a ventrilo server set up as well, I'll post details in a bit.

OKay, you can find vent and server info here:

http://battlefieldo.com/

There are already about 15 people in there so it might fill up even before the event begins in about 45 minutes.

If you guys play, I am tempted to pick it up for 5 bucks today.

Well, I just picked it up. One thing sucks about the Steam version: Punkbuster and Steam don't like each other so you have to turn off the Steam overlay, otherwise you'll get kicked from games.

Are you sure it's PunkBuster? I don't have that problem with BC2. Then again PB is just generally shit...

God, I really hope DICE is going with VAC for BF3. I've had enough of PunkBuster's ineptitude.

God, I really hope DICE is going with VAC for BF3. I've had enough of PunkBuster's ineptitude.

Yeah, agreed. I also had to manually update PB since it wouldn't simply do it in game.

I have to manually disable the Steam overlay in order to play BF2 as well.

Anyway dudes, I'm happy to play any time you guys want. Like I said, I have a 64 slot server that just sits around empty 98% of the time if we want some squad vs squad, or I'd be happy to squad up on a more populated server. I also have a ventrilo we can use no problem :D

Let's set something up for tomorrow night, yes?

So, I heard this game is better than its successors? I'm downloading it right now from the sale, I'm pretty excited. BC2 is great, and I've heard great things about BF2, just not sure what I should expect. (by the time anyone replies to this though I should be playing it)
It would nice to get a game up tonight, yeah.

Expect more game, more freedom, less polish, more bugs, more loading time, and more fun. Also, mofuggin' JETS.

I'm up for a few rounds tonight, though I can't promise I'll stay away from Brink for long.

Assuming I don't pass out early (adjusting my sleep schedule to get up early in the AM is not a fun process for me) I'll play some tonight. We should probably just pick a semi populated server and squad up.

I'd love to play (if it's even desirable to play cross-Atlantic) once both
A) My exams are over (end of the month)
B) Get my new PC (hopefully around the same time)

I'm definitely up for playing this weekend. We should figure out a time and place to play.

I would like to play, but my ground textures don't show up (looks like im walking on air). I have the Steam version. It seems to be the only version affected by this.

Currently working on not getting kicked by Punkbuster after three minutes. Discovered that my Punkbuster wasn't up to date because it doesn't update automatically properly so I had to download and install another program (on top of Punkbuster and GameSpy Arcade) just to update the damn thing properly. Going to launch again now and see if it still kicks me.

It's now kicking me for "Multiple Direct3D loaded".

Apparently this is due to my laptop having two graphics cards, an intel integrated GPU for power and an nVidia graphics card for gaming. It's for having more than one type of graphics driver. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU KICK FOR THAT?

I was having PB issues as well until I downloaded a PB program which finally updated my BF2 files, at long bloomin last. Due to Steam being a pain with BF2 still (I assume you can't use the overlay still) I am going to be using Xfire a bit: evometallicafan

You will likely see me play a bit of BF2, maybe some 1942 and 2142 as well over the next few weeks, wahoo :D

Does anyone have a link to the -=256=- vs HL2.net video? Done some searching but haven't found it yet.

I was having PB issues as well until I downloaded a PB program which finally updated my BF2 files, at long bloomin last. Due to Steam being a pain with BF2 still (I assume you can't use the overlay still) I am going to be using Xfire a bit: evometallicafan

You will likely see me play a bit of BF2, maybe some 1942 and 2142 as well over the next few weeks, wahoo :D

Does anyone have a link to the -=256=- vs HL2.net video? Done some searching but haven't found it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7POC_saTfHM

And BF1942 sounds mighty tempting. I've got the discs right here. Does that game even run on Windows 7?

It does, I installed and played 1942 about 2 months ago for a bit. Ran great on Win7.

Back