How do you manage your time, HL2.net?

evil^milk

Tank
Reaction score
You're bored and unemployed. On vacations, you could say. You've got big plans but your motivation is faltering.

How do you manage your time? Do you have a schedule where you plan to spend say, 2 hours reading or do you prefer to do things whenever you feel like doing things? Do you set short/long term goals for a time period?

How do you manage your time, hl2.net? :dork:

When I don't have to do anything? I do whatever I feel like, until I feel like doing something that requires more than just dicking around, then I make plans, then I do that.

That's what I mean - when you want to stop dicking around and start making plans, how do you go about that?

Make lists. It doesn't matter if you don't actually follow through with them.

Is what I want to do based upon involvement with other people?

Yes - Contact whatever other people you wish to accompany you and hopefully they want to do it

No - Proceed with plan making process

Does what I want to do involve a special set up with a company or organization?

Yes - Contact whoever is necessary

No - Proceed with the plan making process

Does what you want to do require money, skills, or items that you don't have readily available?

Yes - Attain these things

No - Well go do it then

Ive had free time for almost a year straight now. I dont follow any schedule at all, everything i do is at the spur of the moment. I eat when i eat, i sleep when i sleep, i fap when i fap. Sometimes i wake up at 6am, sometimes at 6pm. My days are all different.

I have had big plans for things i want to do, but i lack the motivation. Right now im working on a lil project of my own with a buddy, but even with unlimited freetime its going slow as i have TOO MUCH free time, so you tell yourself "meh il do it later, ive got all the time in the world" and then its a week later and ur all like "oh well, il do it tomorrow" but then its next week again, so on and so forth.

I do this all the time, but it's mostly for school purposes: I build a mental calendar (literally: it's shaped like a wall calendar) of the week, and in my head I visually fill out days with stuff to do, at different times (earlier = higher up on the cell). This is how I go about not needing a planner.

Drawbacks of this method: I have no idea what's coming up if it's more distant than a month, except in broad terms. Like 'approaching birthday' or 'exam month.' Often resulting in my missing things.

I've recently started the list method for out-of-school stuff, but it's used mostly as a motivator.

when i get up and do my routine, i get that all out of the way. then i go to town on cleaning my room or deleting the copious amount of emails then i go have fun like today for example

woke up
ate
shave/brush teeth
shower
exercise
then i put my old 32" tv in my parents room
vacuumed
now i'm online deleting emails, listening to music and checkin Helplife2.net
then later i'm gunna play some games and try finishing up season 2 of Avatar
then dinner
then more games
then some tv
then reading/bed

theres no need for a list unless i know i'll forget something

all my friends are at work, but i think I'll see a movie thursday with a friend

1. Think of a goal.
2. Procrastinate.
3. Fap
4. Moan that the goal didn't happen.

Seriously though, organisation is something you have or you don't.

I'm naturally organised, very rarely do things not go to plan.

I am a huge procrastinator, but I try to get things out of the way as they come up, and basically chill out otherwise. Example:

"Oh cool, I got my tuition invoice from Trent U. But there's a discrepancy here, I should get on this. But... it's Friday, they can't get back to me until Monday anyway."
<play TF2 for two hours>
"Okay, now I'm emailing the registrar's office."

What? You mean you guys actually have lives outside of halflife2.net? I wake up in the morning and get on my computer to come straight to this site. I then sit there in my chair for the rest of the day until nightfall, leaving only for bathroom breaks and making sandwiches.

What? You mean you guys actually have lives outside of halflife2.net? I wake up in the morning and get on my computer to come straight to this site. I then sit there in my chair for the rest of the day until nightfall, leaving only for bathroom breaks and making sandwiches.

liar! I've been here less and have more posts. I think you just described my life :afro:

everything depends on my mood or how i'm feeling. i cannot force myself to do something if i'm not feeling it, it just has to sort of happen. deadlines, work, things that just generally need to happen... if i want to do them properly, to my own standards, it's gotta be the right time.

one of my more irritating time based annoyances is how my friends at uni will set themselves time to do work or will put off interesting events because they have work to do. i have the same work, but i can work at 3 til 6 in the morning if i have to and so can you - this gig, party, meet-up or other social situation is now and it's not going to happen again. i hate to say ''live for the moment'' as it's such a silly term, but that's what i'm like.

when i was at school I'd always wait till the last moment to finish something up because I'd work super efficiently knowing I don't have much time to waste. and most of the time I'd get at least a 85 or higher

You're bored and unemployed.

Why you gotta remind me of these things? :(

I just have randomly occurring moments of motivation. I've spent most of my time since getting laid off playing video games, but then I have moments where I feel like accomplishing something, so I do it. Like the last few days for instance, I decided I want to get a better understanding of how scripting works in the Unity engine. I was pondering for a day or two over what game to make that would be small enough to do without overwhelming myself, yet complicated enough to force me to actually understand the code I was writing. Inspiration struck when I was about to go to bed after reading The Power of Logical Thinking by Marilyn Vos Savant and reading more about the Monty Hall Dilemma. So instead of going to bed, I stayed up several more hours trying to code it, and have been spending the last few days writing it as best I could.

Basically, I just capitalize on any moment that feel motivated to do something. I don't get them often, so when I do I just force myself to make the most of them.

Make lists. It doesn't matter if you don't actually follow through with them.
Yeah, lists are helpful for keeping focused and making the best use of your time. It's also a good feeling to cross that shit off your list; an accomplishment.

I live one day at a time mostly unless money is involved. If nobody's paying me to manage my time, or it's crucial to a current job for me to be organized in order to be successful, then screw it.

everything depends on my mood or how i'm feeling. i cannot force myself to do something if i'm not feeling it, it just has to sort of happen. deadlines, work, things that just generally need to happen... if i want to do them properly, to my own standards, it's gotta be the right time.

one of my more irritating time based annoyances is how my friends at uni will set themselves time to do work or will put off interesting events because they have work to do. i have the same work, but i can work at 3 til 6 in the morning if i have to and so can you - this gig, party, meet-up or other social situation is now and it's not going to happen again. i hate to say ''live for the moment'' as it's such a silly term, but that's what i'm like.

I used to be able to work from 3 til 6 in the morning if I had to.

Now I can't.

Just wait a few years. Someday, this will be you.

True story: I was just out walking around tonight and sitting outside with a bunch of people. By 11 pm we were all tired.

Poorly. I try to force myself to practice and review tutorials everyday for various programs and skills I want to get good at (IE: Digital Painting) but end up doing so only about 3 times a week and instead play a steam game for most of my time.

I also waste too much time on this forum.

Sad.

You're bored and unemployed.
If that's the case, you do absolutely anything you can to stop your mind from deteriorating into a thick, slush-like substance from all of the mind numbing depression.

In my case, taking the bike out for loooooooong pedals all over town, push-ups, sit-ups and all of that shit. Long hot baths at the end of it. (Basically, tire yourself out three times a week). Creative ways to make your lowly food budget last as long as possible is a good idea, I haven't had supernoodle sandwiches in goddamn years.

In my case, taking the bike out for loooooooong pedals all over town, push-ups, sit-ups and all of that shit. Long hot baths at the end of it. (Basically, tire yourself out three times a week). Creative ways to make your lowly food budget last as long as possible is a good idea, I haven't had supernoodle sandwiches in goddamn years.

Yeah for some reason doing exercise always helps me get motivated to do things, i think it's because I find it easy to make up reasons to exercise (ie. lose all the fat I've built up while studying these past few months).
If you want to keep you plans then first find the reason you want to do it (like learning new skills or something) then I usually make a list of consequences for your failure to go through with your plans. It usually helps having that staring you in the face while being lazy.

Creative ways to make your lowly food budget last as long as possible is a good idea, I haven't had supernoodle sandwiches in goddamn years.

The f...

Thats seriously pushing the boat out into the student eating river. Ive never been that bad. Never even thought of that.

Worst I did at Uni was fish fingers in a bowl of baked beans.

Or maybe using OJ on my weetabix instead of milk (which, fyi, seriously DOESNT work).

Inspiration struck when I was about to go to bed after reading The Power of Logical Thinking by Marilyn Vos Savant

I recommend reading "Why People Believe Weird Things" by Michael Shermer.

then I usually make a list of consequences for your failure to go through with your plans.

That's actually a good idea. I tend to make short lists on post-it notes while at work for the stuff I want to accomplish when I get home, although I rarely reference it throughout the day.

I work full time and I’m in between classes so I’ve had more free time lately than usual. My typical day involves hitting the snooze button enough until I have to rush out of the house to make it to work on time, sitting in traffic, working, sitting in traffic, dinner, read at least 1 chapter in any book, an hour of L4D2 (started playing this a lot lately, no idea why), and I usually hit the sheets around 1 AM.

I’ve been really anxious about how I spend my days lately. If I don’t shower and I don’t do anything I consider to be productive I get mildly depressed. If the house is messy I go on a cleaning spree, only to mess it up hours later. The problem I have right now is trying to balance all of that and my pot intake. I bought a vaporizer recently (Da Buddha) and I use it once a day, usually when I get home from work. It’s hard to keep my motivation after using it but I need SOMETHING to take the edge off. I can’t exercise because there’s something going on with my asthma and allergies, thus making it hard to feel accomplishment (I used to play sports almost daily, year round).

I still procrastinate though. I’ve been telling myself to refinance my car for the last year or so.

I was without a job after quitting Halliburton for about 3 months this year, so I spent nearly every second of my time doing everything I could to get a new job. I don't really have a problem with time management, since I've weeded out the need for things like "entertainment" and "fun" in my life long ago and now go about these things with a vague sense of guilt. I generally spent the morning applying to new jobs and writing cover letters, and then devoted the rest of the day and night to creating new 2d and 3d work for my portfolio and learning new things.

Now that I have a job, I just work, come home home, work on my personal work, and then when I wake up, I work a little more until I go back to work. It's very productive and leads to no confusion!

Well if you like your job that sounds like a solid way to spend your time. I'm in the process of applying for another job, it's just nauseating having to re-create the cover letter each time to reflect the job I'm applying for.

Is there anyone here who has enough money where they don't need to work and just go day by day doing whatever they want? (Not counting students)

I used to be able to work from 3 til 6 in the morning if I had to.

Now I can't.

Just wait a few years. Someday, this will be you.

True story: I was just out walking around tonight and sitting outside with a bunch of people. By 11 pm we were all tired.

haha, actually this is me now, at the end of my first year. it's been a rough last term these few months where i've been getting all my work done from 2 till 8 in the morning, then going into college all day and then coming home at 6 and crashing out until 2 til 3 in the morning and continuing on. now that we've finished for the year, i was back to going to going to bed at 12 and waking up at 8 but because EVERYONE ELSE has finished it's NOW that people want to stay out late and go to all these events and i'm just like **** off i want to sleep.

hypocrites!

I've recently escaped that time void that is unemployment thank freaking Christ

I'm not really a very orgainsed person in the first place, so during that 5 months I found I spent most of my time sleeping, on the internet, reading, or playing obscene amounts of Killzone 2 multiplayer.

That was sort of broken up by random periods of motivation to get into the army,times which I'd actually have an organised sleep schedule (ie, not sleeping 14 hours a day), get stuff done and spend more of my time at the gym.

Aaaand since my new job, starting Sunday, is only weekends, I can't really see much changing.

You manage your time quite well enough to not be around in these parts very much Skaadi ;(

Bawww, I missed you too Razzy.

I've been lurking a lot, but just too damn lazy to post.

Man, I don't even know who you are anymore.

Anyway, how do I manage my time? I grossly overestimate the required time for any project, and enjoy the between times.

Back