how to know you TOTALLY OWN AT PORTAL

Brick, your skills and hax are so amazing they make my soul weep with envy.

Chamber 13 done in 12 seconds for your viewing pleasure.

[youtube]-s0mtcOTmA0[/youtube]

Wow, the challenge you did in 6 seconds amazed me! You are awesome at this Brick, wish I could get that good.

Thanks guys, I'll make at least one other video tomorrow. Which will be me making chamber 15 with only 7 portals (haha yep, no typo)!

I tried to do it for ages and I can't. Awesome skills Brick.

As for people doing it in 0 portals, I guess ya'll using the old grab and jump with the crates bug?
Sort of but it's a lot harder than that. Go onto Chamber 17 and try throwing your cube up there to see what I mean.

Holy sh*t. Brick, those videos are amazing. Please make more. Man, I need to practice.

Brick where do you live? I want to kick down your front door and feast on your brains! :D

Hmm, I just figured out you *can* shoot a portal whilst standing in another, you just have to step back a bit as soon as you fire. I got through the chamber 13 ooze tunnel doing this, got 13 portals where gold is 14. Course, I'm sure someone will do it in some insane amount.

I have a question, you guys will probably laugh but how does he do the physics jumping? Every time I hit the use key and jump repeatedly the block comes out from under me (even if there is a wall right in front of me). I just can't get it down.. on that one map I got through the room on two portals, but I just can't do the physics jumping part.

I just got 15 in 11 portals. Has anyone figured out another route?

Hmm, I just figured out you *can* shoot a portal whilst standing in another, you just have to step back a bit as soon as you fire. I got through the chamber 13 ooze tunnel doing this, got 13 portals where gold is 14. Course, I'm sure someone will do it in some insane amount.

I've found that this method is only really handy in chamber 15, but it seems to be the only way to get golds there.

Not true, I would still need to get up there to go through the door. I knew it was possible to grab it from down there.

edit: oh I'll make the vid of chamber 15 in 7 portals now.

Brick, can you tell me how to do the physics jumping? I can't seem to get it, the block always moves out from underneath me.

Not true, I would still need to get up there to go through the door. I knew it was possible to grab it from down there.

edit: oh I'll make the vid of chamber 15 in 7 portals now.

Arg, of course. And apparently someone has done 15 in 6 :S

I wish I were good enough to do this shit. Can anyone post instructions for the wallclimbing/physics climbing stuff?

Oh for the tossing the block over between the door, you can make the block sideways and pick it up, lean it on the door and open/close the door to make it stuck. Much faster ;)

brick, are you using fraps?

How are you achieving decent compression?

So who is going to start uploading videos of gold least steps? I can get silver for all but I can't seem to get gold for any, that's a tough one.

[youtube]yw1EKmAzToU[/youtube]

Sry for the cut in the middle, but I couldn't do that boost trick with fraps running.

Tyguy, I do use fraps, sadly, but only because demos don't work well in portal. Fraps records it to an uncompressed avi at half resolution (even though I selected Full-size). When I have to cut footage, I load them into Vegas first, then save as uncompressed avi again. Then I use virtualdub to do the compression. I use x264 with a quantizer of 27, and LAME mp3 44.1khz/128kbps for audio. I can't be arsed to do MP4 compression when I take the original footage from crappy fraps and the quality is destroyed by youtube anyway.

And Wrath, I hate doing the steps challenges, but I saw someone get chamber 13 in 10 steps on youtube. Search for it.

Steps is pretty easy once you learn this trick: two portals, both on the floor. When you exit one, fire the right colour so you don't fall back in to the loop. When you hit the floor, you won't have taken any steps.

come on guys, I'm not so bad either, I did Chamber 14 in 8 seconds, although there was a margin for 7

but 6, not with my technique

btw Brick, it's funny that I wasn't placing my 3rd portal where you did in 14.

I just did chamber 14 in 6 seconds, rendering now. But it's from a demo so 30fps with super lag :)

Awesome! I wonder how many portals you can use minimum in the entire game.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ps2O0RQwp64[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, they need to fix the demo bug. I tried a few demo / interp commands but they didn't help.

Me & fraps don't go together, especially realtime. So i startmovie'd at 30 :[

I shoot an orange on the floor in front, then a blue on the wall behind while falling through the orange, then fire a blue next to the exit while falling and land in the only orange = coming out next to the exit.

I just got 9 steps on 13. I reckon I can squeeze one more out.

edit: got 8 :D

edit2: now I've got 7. Basically I have 4 in the final corridor, i'm doing all sorts of strange jumps to get into the lift.

Nice one spunge, hadn't thought of that. I'll try that sometime.

Does anyone have a speed of 16... easy map, just not the easiest to do in speed because of the droids.

hl2.net should have a competition for steps / portals / time on the best submitted challenge map, each week or month

It's too bad Time challenges are in whole seconds... No real way of competing.

Because I was bored I made a vid of chamber 17 in 0 portals.

[youtube]OFgf-5g-zPs[/youtube]

niiice lol make some more speed ones, they're fun to watch

Since I suck at all the rest, here is my chamber 13 in 7 steps. I just know someone is going to come along and beat it:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=RTt8vjQGLVM[/YOUTUBE]

nice, don't know how you could improve upon that. All your steps are entrance + exit IIRC

Back