I hate people who claim to have OCD

I count the number of words in subtitles when I watch anime and add up the numbers in car licence plates. I also write down everything I plan to buy over the month. Also if I own a movie franchise on DVD say I have to get all of them even if I didn't like it i.e. I own T3

Although if it is monumentally horrendous to the point where I feel sick thinking of it then I won't i.e. like indy 4

Sounds more like normal habitual stuff to me AHA. I try to make equations out of license plate numbers, count just about everything I do, make lists constantly, and try to make complete collections of things. But I definitely don't have OCD.

yeah but it's absolutely constant and I keep doing it when i don't want to. Another thing I do is I keep checking my bag for my ipod, wallet etc even if I just checked it 2 minutes ago.

well either its some mild ocd that still pisses me off or my doctor is an ass

Look, I'm not saying you can't possibly have a problem and if you're showing very obvious symptoms then I'm sure something's up. But half the internet claims it has some disorder or other, and public education about mental health is minimal, so I tend to be skeptical of such claims unless the person making them has had a serious enough problem that they have gone and got it checked out.
Yeah, but I think that it's not a coincidence. People that hang out on forums might often do so because they don't interact well with people in person. So I'm not surprised at the number of people on the internet that have mental or physical problems.

Like for me, I'm quite strange and reclusive, as I said before I think I'm neurotic. Though I may seem normal to people, in my brain, it's heavy. I won't go into it.

I was diagnosed with ADD as a kid and they had me on Ritalin. About 5 years ago, my father paid a few thousand for me to see a psychiatrist a few times and he was convinced I had Bipolar disorder. He said, " may very well have other issues, but the bipolar is quite serious and needed to be addressed first."

Few people know their own lungs, their own hearts, their own cancer tumours. Why should I believe they can effectively examine their own tools for examination?
But we know what we are thinking, we can see what we are doing, so it's not the same as having an 'invisible' illness. When people check to see if the door is looked a dozen times before going to bed, that's something they are aware of.

I do not have OCD. I did make a thread a year ago that claimed everyone has some OCD habits and listed my own idiosyncratic tendencies. What a fool I was. Link to teh fail.

I do not have OCD. I did make a thread a year ago that claimed everyone has some OCD habits and listed my own idiosyncratic tendencies. What a fool I was. Link to teh fail.

And back a year ago then, I was still going on about my fingers. In your thread you posted.

Thankfully none of my things are like that. My absolute worst one right now is me popping my fingers. Or rather not popping, but moving my fingers and initiating the friction that results in a popping noise. It's not actual popping like you know knuckle popping to be, but rather it's my cartilage doing weird stuff. And I've made enough threads about this problem in the past I'm not going to describe it any further.

It's absolutely destroying my hands, but I prefer it to some other OCD things I've read that people have, since I can do it anywhere at any time, and I'm not locked for example in the bathroom washing my hands constantly like a lot of people with OCD seem to be fixated on.

And funny, in that quote I talk about even further in the past that I've made threads about it. It's been bugging me for a long time. And the same thing with my thumbs I've been doing for all of my life from about the age of 8.

Here's a thread I made on it back in 2007. lol

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136820g

Raziaar said:
OCD is destroying my hands.

Any of you out there have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, whether officially diagnosed or not?

I'm seeking some advice. I don't really know what to do and it's driving me nuts. I have OCD and it applies to certain things. Not the stereotypical things people think of with someone who has OCD.

Anyways, the thing that is bothering me most, is my hands. At some point last year my fingers started popping with even the slightest bending. I don't know what caused it initially, but my right hand middle and ring finger pop whenever I curl them. So literally without even trying, I can pop my fingers. This eventually developed to my left hand ring finger as well, and I have basically become addicted to popping them as much as I can in this way.

If I had to count, I'd say I pop them intentionally and unintentionally about 2000 times a day(no lie). It's gotten to the point that I have serious pains sometimes, nerve pains and other pains shooting up and down my forearm on the right hand. Sometimes the pain is more localized and hurts along the finger itself.

Short of going to the doctor and being prescribed pills, what can I do? Chop off my fingers?

And here's one back in 2006. Before that finger issue cropped up... but when I had it just with my thumbs.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105734

Raziaar said:
I need help with stopping a bad habit of mine. I have the tendency to pop my thumbs. No other fingers, just my thumbs. I can pop them about 5000 times a day, no kidding. I can pretty much pop it continuously without stop, but generally only do it for a length of a few minutes.

Lately though, i've been getting some pretty serious pains in my right hand doing this when I have popped my thumb alot. Shooting from my thumb down my forearm to the inside of my elbow joint. I figure this is the time to seriously stop popping my thumbs.

However... I can't seem to do it! there is an overwhelming physical and mental urge to just do it. Sometimes if I haven't done it for a while, just moving the thumb causes it to pop, and that triggers an urge to just do it continously.

Pretty frusterating. Can anybody offer suggestions? And maybe brainstorm why I would be being caused pain? They say popping joints isn't harmful... but this is starting to hurt.

As an side... to keep this topic fresh and interesting, go ahead and list a bad habit or two of your own that you need to stop... whether it be picking your nose and eating it, or what have you... <grins>

Now that's some serious history on my popping problem, all locked within these forums.

I just sit there and get bothered by little things. If I scratch one arm, I have to scratch the opther one. If I do pretty much anything, I have to balance it out, or I feel really annoyed. sometimes I check my door to see if I REALLY did close it up about 50 times. I've just about take it off the hinges.

i'm not saying I have OCD, but I think I do have some really annoying quirks.

Yeah, I can see how that would be annoying Tyguy.

Yeah, but I think that it's not a coincidence. People that hang out on forums might often do so because they don't interact well with people in person. So I'm not surprised at the number of people on the internet that have mental or physical problems.

I have the opposite problem. I interact too well with people, and I find that people are generally too shy and, well, boring in person.

OH FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I posted on 19:49. I can only post on minutes that are divisible by 10.

I look for the number 23 in everything I do. When I find it, (and I will), I just go "**** YOU".

Hate that number.

He's ****ing awesome, that's who he is.

Just thought about something. Wouldn't OCD people be the perfect persons to become programmers?

Just thought about something. Wouldn't OCD people be the perfect persons to become programmers?

Are you insinuating that's why I'm studying to be a good programmer?

**** YOU MAN!

lol, j/k

I've watched an OCD guy program. It's irritating to watch him in code/compile/test loops because he has to rewrite the last character and save the file like five times before he'll run the goddamn thing.

^Lol I do that shit , but if you put hours of work into something, your afraid it will be lost to a malfunction, and it does happen, well at least I had that problem quite a bit with computers long ago.

I just realized you said that he will rewrite the characters so it will let him save again. HEh, no I don't do that. I take the greyed out Save at face value. it's saved.

I don't know if I would really classify this so much as an OCD thing... but I save too much.

People say there is no such thing as saving too much, but I save too much.

In maya, with incremental saves, on one project I was working on, I would save after rotating the screen... sometimes repeatedly. I ended up with about 20 gigabytes of save files before weeding them down.

On my Fallout 3 game, I have 2000 saves.

I had like 100 in Oblivion. I cut back and deleted some. Now I mostly just overwrite because cleaning it up is a total chore, and finding the save your looking for can be a nightmare. **** that, I'd rather just do it over. I save it to a couple slots if I do something really important.

I had like 100 in Oblivion. I cut back and just overwrite because cleaning it up is a total chore. **** that, I'd rather just do it over. I save it to a couple slots if I do something really important.

I overwrote my save files about 90% of the time. And i still ended up with about 2000 saves. And most of those are NOT from autosaves.

I have the opposite problem. I interact too well with people, and I find that people are generally too shy and, well, boring in person.
Yeah, I'm not saying everyone on the internet is mental, though it does seem that way sometimes doesn't it? :grin:
Maybe Asperger's Syndrome, see

Restricted and repetitive interests and behavior

Bram Cohen self-diagnosed himself with it. He's the guy who designed Steam and Bit Torrent.

I used to do the crack-avoiding and joint cracking stuff when I was a child. Also I was obsessed with doing things with my body symmetricly and evenly. Eg, if I curled my right-hand fingers I would have to curl my left-hand fingers in the same way. Sometimes I'd get the sense that the left curling didn't feel the same as the right, so then I'd have to retry curling my left fingers to get the same as the right, and then have to do the second curl with my right fingers to balance it all.

I don't get this kind of crap anymore. Well, not totally. I still hate having an open door in the same room as me (especially behind me) and some very minor stuff. Nothing so stupid as the old things I used to do.

Edit: Oh god damn this talk as made me acutely aware of my own body. I can't stop thinking about the way my legs are possitioned and I keep trying to get them more comfortable. I've never liked the feel of my feet. They always felt a bit more detatched from the rest of me. I hate you HL2.net!

I used to do the crack-avoiding and joint cracking stuff when I was a child. Also I was obsessed with doing things with my body symmetricly and evenly. Eg, if I curled my right-hand fingers I would have to curl my left-hand fingers in the same way. Sometimes I'd get the sense that the left curling didn't feel the same as the right, so then I'd have to retry curling my left fingers to get the same as the right, and then have to do the second curl with my right fingers to balance it all.

I don't get this kind of crap anymore. Well, not totally. I still hate having an open door in the same room as me (especially behind me) and some very minor stuff. Nothing so stupid as the old things I used to do.

Man... it must have been difficult for you to walk.

Right foot, Left foot, right foot left f...uck this just isn't working. <boing boing boing as you transition into hopping around as a mode of transport>

I have the exact opposite of OCD.

I can't do a specific thing over and over.

I cannot get addicted to things. It's both a benefit and it sucks, because I am terrible at MMOs.

My brother has debilitating OCD - he at one time had to be hospitalized because of a bad reaction to medication (some anti-schizophrenic drug made him go psycho), but he's doing better now. It's been a lot of work though trying to help him through his issues (his OCD is the "constant awful thoughts" type of OCD).
I'm sure it runs in my family, and I'm sure I've either got OCD or Asberger's or something - me, it's more of the "everything has to be perfect" type of obsession (which works wonders for my musical career).

Man... it must have been difficult for you to walk.

Right foot, Left foot, right foot left f...uck this just isn't working. <boing boing boing as you transition into hopping around as a mode of transport>
Actually yes, I was always aware of how much pressure was on each foot and tried to distribute it evenly or else my feet would explode or some shite. To be honest I don't know I didn't drive myself insane back when I used to do that stuff.

Just from reading that response, I'm assuming this is about feet wanking.

Anyways I'm OCD about turning lights off, having the microwave with no remaining time left (problem at dorms only), and using hand sanitizer all the time.

odd numbers don't bother me...the number 3 is symbolic for some reason, and i also don't mind 13 even though i used to as a kid. It's weird how things like that change for no reason.

I'm sure I've either got OCD or Asberger's or something - me, it's more of the "everything has to be perfect" type of obsession (which works wonders for my musical career).

That is just being meticulous.

This is a bit off topic, but it's a grammar thing.

If someone says they have OCD, are they not claiming they have OCD? Is "claim" symbolic with "not having, but pretending"?

This is a bit off topic, but it's a grammar thing.

If someone says they have OCD, are they not claiming they have OCD? Is "claim" symbolic with "not having, but pretending"?

It's just the assertion of truth.

I have been dealing with OCD for 12 years now and I have gone through quite a lot of anxiety and discomfort. It's created many problems in my life and has completely changed my personality. That being said, I find it extremely aggravating when I hear people say things like "OMG, I totally have OCD...I just washed my hands TWICE IN A ROW!!!"

I see people like that. I don't have OCD but sometimes I may press light switches 2-3 times, but thats because my brain gets confused and sometimes feels the need to do it.

Back