• i saw it and i HATED IT

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • i didnt see it and i HATE IT

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • i didnt see it and i dont care

Votes: 27 48.2%

• Total voters
Oh no he di'n't.

Twilight is good. It may be ridiculous supernatural teen drama, blah, blah, blah, but it's at least refreshing from the 'BIG GUNS & EXPLOSIONS!!!!11' crap Hollywood pumps out.
Maybe I'll hate when I become a wheezing, complaining old man. Who knows.

Twilight is good. It may be ridiculous supernatural teen drama, blah, blah, blah, but it's at least refreshing from the 'BIG GUNS & EXPLOSIONS!!!!11' crap Hollywood pumps out.

So because it's a different kind of shit, that makes it good?

Oh no he di'n't.

Maybe I'll hate when I become a wheezing, complaining old man. Who knows.
So because it's a different kind of shit, that makes it good?

Yeah... smells just as bad, bro.

Oh, and the ultimate irony of Bella's complete emptiness and vessel-ness as a character? Stephenie Meyer is Bella Swan.

7qQn6.png

So we have a series that appeals to women because it has a protagonist that any woman can be... and it's written by an author who wrote the protagonist to be in her image. It's so recursive it's almost brilliant.

to me, the film was comparable to some mindless retarded action movie, like Wolverine, except intended for girls rather than boys. i enjoy Wolverine as a guilty pleasure, even though it sucked pretty hardcore...

wolverine was fun as balls

Do you hear the things that you are saying?

In regards to the rest of it, yes, I do see the point you were making about how it's the female equivalent of the mindless action movie. I think that those are awful 95% of the time as well, though.

fair enough then, but to your own admission you can see the appeal "if you're 12." twilight is meant to appeal to young teenage girls

The annoyances I have are with girls who are older than 12, and should know better. I met numerous girls in college and since then who think Twilight is absolutely amazing, and it has never been the case.

PS: I'm sorry that it makes more than flashing pretty lights to appeal to my brain. I'm sure you're very happy with your rampant ignorance.

Films can be fun and crap, particularly action films. Like most Arnie or JCVD movies.

I've read the first book and seen the second and third films.

The book was bad. For the most part it was only mediocre, but occasionally it would plummet to wall-banging depths. When the second chapter began with the sentence "The next day at school was better...and worse," I yelled out and threw it across the room. At one point the author describes in detail how Bella uses "her favourite search engine" to search "vampire" on the internet. The entire thing is mundane, unbelievable, contrived, badly paced, and boringly written, but, y'know, it's not squirrelking. You can go along with it. It might be vaguely fun to a twelve year old. One big problem is just how little happens. In fact, for a few chapters, it suddenly becomes entertaining - Bella is being tracked by an enemy vampire and the pace ramps up - but before too long it's back to business as usual. I didn't feel inclined to read all the other books, because on the whole it wasn't even bad enough to be fun.

Same is true of the films, really. Stupid story, sure; asinine script, okay, you expect this. But you might also expect at the very least a decent director, skilled at making this confectionary easy to swallow. In fact, they're very dull in the way they're put together. Again, for the most part, you can't even laugh. And again, for some reason, there is one particular bit that's actually okay: I refer, of course, to the scene in the tent near Part 3's end.

Thing is, while watching them, I saw why they appeal to people. Imagine being that young again, and for all that you've been bombarded with warnings and intimations simply having no experience of what sexual awakening involves. You experience the slightest twinges of a minor crush as the most important thing there will ever be in the universe. Nothing makes much sense, and desire seems like a supernatural special thing that only you know about. It's such a powerful force even for the adults that get caught up in it. How do you deal with having this thing that lashes out at two people simultaneously? How do you deal with being the object of others' desire? How do you make peace with the hugely complicated immature mess of what your heart wants and what others want from it - what we might call a genital traffic-jam? Twilight appeals because, labouriously, ludicrously, over four long boring books, it tries to deal with that question.

It's still crap. But it is also kind of touching.

Its garbage. If I were 12 years old, it would still be garbage.

Believe me, if you didn't read the 2nd book, you have no idea what angst is. The movie doesn't do any justice (if it can be called that).

Do you hear the things that you are saying?

In regards to the rest of it, yes, I do see the point you were making about how it's the female equivalent of the mindless action movie. I think that those are awful 95% of the time as well, though.

The annoyances I have are with girls who are older than 12, and should know better. I met numerous girls in college and since then who think Twilight is absolutely amazing, and it has never been the case.

PS: I'm sorry that it makes more than flashing pretty lights to appeal to my brain. I'm sure you're very happy with your rampant ignorance.

hahahaha as if i needed further proof that you were an insufferable cu nt. i dont think i can roll my eyes enough at your pretentious, full of shit demeanor.

basically, what deathmaster said

Poor Erestheux can't defend himself and just lashes out because deep down he knows I'm right.

Films can be fun and crap, particularly action films. Like most Arnie or JCVD movies.

I don't usually feel that way about any films, actually. If it's crap, it's crap. If it's good, it's good. There can certainly be aspects of mediocre movies that I like. For instance I watched the Thirteenth Floor again recently, which I hadn't seen since it came out in the late 90's, and some parts of it were neat, but it definitely wasn't a good movie, and I'd still judge it as such.

The first comparison that comes to mind is actually Doom 3. It did something new that I enjoyed with the overwhelming necessity of the flashlight, but it was still a pretty awful game.

The other night I watched in a row with some friends:
Rifftrax High School Musical
The Room
Rifftrax New Moon

First time seeing any of the three. It was fun.

oh please, the notion of feeling superior to another's intellect because you personally don't enjoy a film is just so sad. there's no argument to be had, your opinion on any film is valid. but acting like that somehow makes others ignorant and you more intellectual proves that you're a pathetic little shit. it's not lashing out, it's calling you out.

back on topic, i think i've made the point of the thread clear. in general, i dont understand why adults lash out about kid's films all the time. it's like yelling at an 8 year old for playing with barbies.

Believe me, if you didn't read the 2nd book, you have no idea what angst is. The movie doesn't do any justice (if it can be called that).
Angst is a staple of vampire fiction.

Again, for the most part, you can't even laugh.

I did. Plenty of times. At the dialogue, the gratuitous male toplessness, the constipated emotional expressions, the aborted attempts at dramatic or suspenseful atmosphere. Brilliant. I saw the second film in the cinema with my girlfriend and my flatmate and got quite a few angry tween mutters for laughing at 'inappropriate' times.

Dakota Fanning was good though.

You can tell some of the actors aren't trying at all. Like the two main ones.

back on topic, i think i've made the point of the thread clear. in general, i dont understand why adults lash out about kid's films all the time. it's like yelling at an 8 year old for playing with barbies.

I feel like there's a difference, though. Just because it's a movie directed at teenagers doesn't mean there can be nothing there for adults. I think Pixar is a great example of this. Their animated movies are something that can be enjoyed by just about everyone. There's something there for the entire family.

While the magic in Harry Potter is completely goddamn arbitrary, as are many relationships between characters, and things aren't always as developed as they could be, many adults like it because it transcends being a children's book and becomes a book about growing up and facing your fears and life is unfair and etc.

Saying that it's okay that Twilight is dumbed down because it's directed at 12 year olds is something I don't agree with. I feel like if it wasn't so much "Stephenie Meyer masturbating on the page" and actually had depth, it could be an actual decent novel. Vampires are pretty goddamn awesome. Ones that sparkle are not.

even kids know a shitty movie when they see it. adults have a right to complain about shitty kid's films. they're usually the ones who take them to see the movies.

ie: my daughter wanted to see Yogi Bear. I grew up with yogi bear and didnt think it was funny back then so had absolutely no desire to see it now because I knew it would be terrible (it is) so I took my kids to see Tangled instead. which is a much better movie even though IT'S MADE FOR KIDS

kids can like shitty movies all the want but they're still shitty movies

Vampires are pretty goddamn awesome. Ones that sparkle are not.

Vampires are pretty lame. When they sparkle you realise it.

Or seen True Blood? And/or read the Sookie Stackhouse novels?

Oh shit I guess that's another empirically wrong opinion.

I watched it to the part where he saves bella in his volvo and he's like, "say something, keep me distracted so I don't go back there and rip those guys heads off!"

and that was just too much. I mean in 1 minute they just slap you with this image of what, apparently, girls want their guy to be like. "Oh I'm so pretty and crazy in love with you, you smell amazing, and I desperately want you but I try and hold myself back so I don't hurt you. I can read your mind so I know exactly what you're thinking without having to say it, I'm also very protective of you, but I'm not going to outwardly show it by fighting people, but you and I both know how dangerous I am. I'm this horrible monster who only you can tame."

The only time vampires are semi-ok is when they're simply 'the monster' rather than being an emo. Which the 'main character' types p. much all are.

Christopher Lee is the only cool vampire.

I saw it and didn't really care about it. I could see how readers would be mad about it though because the movie skipped around so much that it was semi-annoying.

Back