I'm bored, worth trying Eve online trial?

jverne

Reaction score
is that game any good?

what exactly is interesting in it?

If you're bored now, just wait until you play Eve.

It takes forever to do anything, is insanely difficult to start off, but supposedly gets more fun once you figure stuff out and get into a Corp (guild) and do PvP.

Very good time sink though.

No harm in trying it. Your either going to love it or hate it.

I'm flying around in a 60man battle ship gang right now, and thats damn fun. Hopefully we get some kills and i can post the linky :)

Eve is too much god damn work to just jump in to with the trial

If you're bored now, just wait until you play Eve.

This. This god damnit.

The only interesting thing that happened to me in the Eve trial was that I came upon a cargo container in a completely empty, desolate asteroid field. I thought that it was a game mechanic and I was supposed to scavenge from these cargo containers.

It turns out the containers belonged to a powerful corp, and when I looted from them, I was instantly labeled "PIRATE" by the game, and the corps and the police were all over me. It was literally my first 20 minutes playing, and a giant battleship just warped right in there and blasted me to hell before I had any idea of what was going on.

It's a good data manipulation game, but it's not much fun.

This. This god damnit.

The only interesting thing that happened to me in the Eve trial was that I came upon a cargo container in a completely empty, desolate asteroid field. I thought that it was a game mechanic and I was supposed to scavenge from these cargo containers.

It turns out the containers belonged to a powerful corp, and when I looted from them, I was instantly labeled "PIRATE" by the game, and the corps and the police were all over me. It was literally my first 20 minutes playing, and a giant battleship just warped right in there and blasted me to hell before I had any idea of what was going on.
That sounds pretty epic to me.

This. This god damnit.

And this is what happens when people don't read the GIANT MESSAGE THAT POPS UP. "You are about to steal, and will have kill rights on you by the corp that owns this." Usually common sense kicks in.

Don't fault the game for your **** up.

That sounds pretty epic to me.

No it doesn't. Why do people say shit like this whenever Eve is mentioned? He looted a container and the game then proceeded to rape the player. Not epic.

wait....he found a lonely package somewhere and then the corp somehow knew it was stolen? if they knew where it was stolen why the **** didn't they go fetch it!?

completely unreal if you ask me, if you happen to run into something and nobody's around you should take it and nobody would have any idea unless you paraded with it. like the telepathic guards in oblivion. also how the hell would traders knew it was stolen. such a turn off.

wait....he found a lonely package somewhere and then the corp somehow knew it was stolen? if they knew where it was stolen why the **** didn't they go fetch it!?

completely unreal if you ask me, if you happen to run into something and nobody's around you should take it and nobody would have any idea unless you paraded with it. like the telepathic guards in oblivion. also how the hell would traders knew it was stolen. such a turn off.

It was a trap. They left it there for someone to steal. They sort-of abused a mechanic meant to protect low level players (ie, the Police coming). But that sort of thing is fine in EVE.

I've tried three times to get into Eve and each time I've ended up spending the end of it just docked in a station watching skills train up. I think what I needed was someone to take me by the hand and just show me some cool stuff to do. It's a universe in which you can do anything if you can get away with it but, because of the way the game warns you about everything, I found myself reluctant to try anything. I did read of one Corporation that specifically goes out into dangerous space with recruits just so they'd get used to dying. When you're a new player, you really try to avoid dying because you end up spending a lot of time and effort on your ship.

I'm really sorry Feath, I know you wrote an intelligent and informative post regarding a popular game, but all I read was EVE does not rhyme with teeth!

If your character isn't blinking red your doing it wrong =P (tho my security status is 3.0).

The only way you get the most out of what eve has to offer is to join a good corp or alliance and get involved with wars and politics. Its always good to read the forums and find out who is ****ing who and are friends, who ripped off who and who is supplying who with ships.

The game is full of epic drama which you will never see in any other game but unless you go and read about it or be in a position to get involved with it you feel as tho there isnt anything to do.

It's fun. I've only ever played the trial and I go around mining then selling and trying to upgrade my ship.

I've played it for a few weeks now, but lately I've just been logging in to train skills and logging back out to play other games. Maybe at some point when I beat some games I'll get back in to it... I just don't know at the moment.

I've always considered playing Eve just because how darn pretty it looks, but I hear it's boring, and I don't believe in paying $15 a month to play.

Btw, I always wondered, is $15 bucks for the actual number of hours you play that add up to a month, or, does your time literally end in 30 consecutive days? It should totally be the former.

I've always considered playing Eve just because how darn pretty it looks, but I hear it's boring, and I don't believe in paying $15 a month to play.

Btw, I always wondered, is $15 bucks for the actual number of hours you play that add up to a month, or, does your time literally end in 30 consecutive days? It should totally be the former.

They would lose tons of money considering the way the game is set up. You spend $15 then log on a few minutes at a time to train all the skills you'd want and milk the one purchase for months. Then once you have all the skills you need you can do whatever you want... makes me wonder why I play at all...

It would work better for games where you actually have to be logged in to do things.

The former is what happens with certain Korean MMOs,(only in korea), such as Aion. In the West, however, the vast majority of MMOs adopt the basic subscription format. It''s ridiculous, and I wish they would charge per content pack instead of monthly like that.

There is a hidden part of Eve that I know is there, and know is awesome, but everytime I play I usually stop within about a week, all I found myself doing was mining usually. There is a huge world to be explored with Eve, but unless you have the connections, and dedicate loads of time to it, you won't find it.

Get into the hl2.net chat and go leech off of Pitz.

I'm already cut off. My subscription ran out. Working on getting it back, but so far no luck with this prepaid card.

Yeah you don't actually have to keep paying real money for game time, once you are able to earn some decent cash with your character you can pay for your account with ingame money.

^

That was one thing I thought was pretty awesome about EVE. I tired out the 7 day trial, which was spent killing the same groups of pirates over and over for a gate key that never dropped.

The former is what happens with certain Korean MMOs,(only in korea), such as Aion. In the West, however, the vast majority of MMOs adopt the basic subscription format. It''s ridiculous, and I wish they would charge per content pack instead of monthly like that.

What are you talking about? WoW has that format doesn't it? Besides, nearly all of the MMOs over here are free anyway.

Woh, so Band of Brothers as many know got disbanded by goons some time back but they pretty quickly reformed as IT alliance and are now hitting around 4000 members. Right now they are trying to take back the space the goons sole from them and the war of goons and bob rages on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WERqUb0G6vQ

and killboard link of the fight.

http://killboard.executive-outcomes.info/?a=kill_related&kll_id=121212

453 Ships killed (282.93B ISK) 35 Ships lost (51.61B ISK) Damn impressive fight!

It's not too hard at all in Eve to afford game time with ingame money (PLEX), as long as you take a long view. I started in October on a trial and I've only renewed my sub with actual money once. Other than that, I'm paid up until late March via PLEX, with 150mil spare after also having put a faction-fit mission-running battleship together.

Once some skills cook, I've got plenty of money to fund ship losses and wacky shenanigans in lowsec/nullsec, once the little corp I'm in stops carebearing.

Yeah, CCP still hasn't mailed me back. I sent them a mail on the first. And there isn't enough cash on this card to pay for a timecode.

http://triumvirate-alliance.com/?a=kill_related&kll_id=249473

Phwoor, Fight I missed last night. We are currently trying to wipe out mostly harmless, we turned up around 8/9pm eve time last night and put a large pos into reinforce. Took a good wile but we managed to get a fair few kills with retards wondering out of the shields.

We where asked to get back online around 3am but sod that I had work the next day. MH are more of a US time zone alliance and have larger numbers around 3 and we expected a full out defense. They tried and failed pretty bad.

My alliance doesn't like mostly harmless... hmm...

Which alliance are you with?

I think I should join a corp and such so I can get more out of the game. I haven't even set anything to train for the past two days becasue I keep playing Dragon Age. When I finish that I might play a little more.

Well, as soon as I get back into Eve... I'm in The Kadeshi. Joined the corp of a RL friend.

Back