Internet Sales tax imminent.

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Internet-Sales-Tax-Amazon,news-6071.html

Colorado is not the only state cracking down on online retailers. According to CNET, fifteen other states have considered--or are currently considering--enacting similar laws that would force e-commerce companies to charge sales tax for shipments outside their home state. Apparently four states, including Colorado, have already implemented the new law.

I buy online stuff all the time....having a tax on it would really suck.

i don't like this one bit, but i can't muster the enthusiasm to go on a rant so **** you sales tax!

This is going to suck big time.

One of the best things about online shopping is you don't have to pay ****ing sales tax.

I'm fine with tax on many things... but internet purchases is not one of them.

I mean ****... if you have to pay taxes on top of the shipping, that will completely destroy any benefit to shopping online at all. I tend to save money when I shop online... especially with sites that have free shipping.

I mean ****... if you have to pay taxes on top of the shipping, that will completely destroy any benefit to shopping online at all.

Thats the point. The govt isnt making any money on us buying things anymore, since a ton of sales are made online now instead of in store. They want in on the action.

First getting rid of net neutrality, now this?

****ing shit.

Before you know it parts of the internet will become nations and there'll be a government in each one!

online_communities.png

It should look something like this.

Noob sea needs to be about 80% larger than it is.

this is gay, i buy shit like once a week online. this world sucks worse everyday

It's going to make online shopping more expensive than retail. They are going to damage the online shopping, and along with it, the economy and the environment. 350,000,000 Americans, back in their cars to drive to the Malls again.

ups_hev_400.jpg

With all the driving that is necessary for me to get any of this useless stuff in retail, it's just not worth it. It's sixteen miles to Walmart and forty some miles to anything else, so I'll just opt out of enhancing the state of the economy.

Sales Tax not being part of the original price is retarded.

It's going to make online shopping more expensive than retail. They are going to damage the online shopping, and along with it, the economy and the environment. 350,000,000 Americans, back in their cars to drive to the Malls again.

350m is exaggerating.

One of the best things about online shopping is you don't have to pay ****ing sales tax.

I mean ****... if you have to pay taxes on top of the shipping, that will completely destroy any benefit to shopping online at all. I tend to save money when I shop online... especially with sites that have free shipping.
Pretty much said what I would have.

This will probably take a while to get over here if it catches, but I'm still not happy about it happening anywhere. And US is the trendsetter, so.

I guess this was kind of inevitable.

Retail stores are declining simply because people benefit more from shopping online (and other reasons of course). As a result, less is taxed, so the government gets pissed off.

Naturally, when the retailers disappear, the only way left to get tax on sales is to tax it online, as thats where everyone is going.

I forsee all products online being taxed in the future, and taxed increasingly for more and more, ontop of VAT and shipping.

Its like if people had to pay a subscription for Facebook, and Twitter being free. Most people will naturally move over to Twitter. So, Twitter adds a subscription fee as well as there's a potential for huge profit.

Its all about the monies.

I agree though; we shop online because its cheaper and easier. So the government can ***k off if they think they can turn online shopping into retail.

Freemasons etc. want people back in the physical shopping centres they control etc.

Uh, I don't know how it is for the rest of you, but here in CA you even have to pay taxes on things you buy online. There's a section for it on your tax forms.

Well **** Colorado. Hope there's a petition.
If you read the article, other states are working out taxes for online purchases as well.
350m is exaggerating.
Opps. That's the rough population figure for USA. It wasn't intentional. First thread I jumped on when I woke up.

What I meant, of course, is that the last thing we need is everyone (with a car) driving to hell and back to get to the major shopping centers. It's 60 miles round trip for me.

Sometimes I just need something small. Right now, it's usually significantly cheaper if I shop around online, but with shipping charges and taxes, it would be about the same or even more.

People wouldn't have to ship it back to the other side of the continent if there is a problem with the product either, further encouraging people to get in their land cruisers and drive to the store.

In short, I'm not ****ing pleased; my State is one of the ones on the list.

Uh, I don't know how it is for the rest of you, but here in CA you even have to pay taxes on things you buy online. There's a section for it on your tax forms.

Indeed, but this appears to be an additional tax. So you'd still pay VAT (or whatever the equivelant is in Colarado) and then pay and additional "sending goods purchased on the internet out of Colarado" tax.

So unless you're buying goods from a state with such a tax or if you're purchasing goods on the internet from within such a state this is not a problem.

But it still sucks.

Not sure I understand the fuss. Governments need taxes to survive and provide services. Sales taxes are a standard way to do this, why should online sales get special treatment by being exempt?

I dont quite understand. I just purchased something online yesterday and had to pay a sales tax. :0

I thought this was already being done. Unless you mean a tax after normal sales tax?

zu4m0h.jpg

^^^ see

For the most part people are supposed to report their online purchases and pay sales tax on it. But it just isn't enforced up front which is what they are going for here.

What I don't get is that you could end up paying your local tax when buying things online from someone in another state. Which means people buying from that site could be paying varying percents and the site would have to know all the different taxes. Even some cities have different sales tax than other parts in their own state.

Why not charge the tax for just where the shipment is coming from rather than where the purchaser lives. Then it's as if you traveled there and bought at a retail store. And the company can deal with just 1 tax scenario and move their operations to the best spot where they can balance taxes being charged and a central location for shipping. That way if a neighboring state has a much lower tax rate than another they would build there so their customers are encouraged to buy from them and not some other website. Or even move from one city to another because of local option sales taxes for schools get increased or something. Or a state that may not have a law about website sales tax yet.

At least then the company would have some options and it wouldn't look like big gov was trying to squeeze every dime out of customers.

I dont quite understand. I just purchased something online yesterday and had to pay a sales tax. :0

I thought this was already being done. Unless you mean a tax after normal sales tax?

zu4m0h.jpg

^^^ see

Holy ****, you got ripped off. How high are your god damn taxes? What is that 10.5% or some shit? Jesus Christ, I would shoot myself.

Which thus brings more business to local companies.

I like this idea. Kinda.

Then again though, doesn't this mean that everything that's purchased wholesale through the internet is going to go up in price?

I stopped shopping at online retailers such as Newegg.com because they're based here in California.
We have the highest sales tax in the entire country. Almost 9%. I Am forced to purchase my hardware from non Californian and less reliable retailers now. This shit is ridiculous if you ask me. Now they want enforce it regardless of where you buy it from? What a crock of shit.

Its wonderful, isnt it? Instead of simply cutting back on wasteful spending, they decide to just add more taxes.

Also, Colorado just passed a tax on candy and soda. Which goes against the state constitution. Taxes have to be voted on by the public.

zu4m0h.jpg

^^^ see

Was the company you purchased from based out of the same state you are in? If so, you have to pay sales tax already...

My state tax is 5%, but 2.5% on food. However, in restaurants, it's much higher, about 10%.

****ing 9.5% sales tax in cali.

hate hate hate

My illustrious and most extremely informed opinion of said measure: gay.

I pay 13% sales tax here in Atlantic Canada. And it's going to go back up to 15% soon.

Canadians are taxed to death. We have less people than California spread out across a country bigger than all of the United States. Screws us big time.

6% sales tax here (5%+1% for schools)
none on food (tax on candy but not on stuff like bread, juice)

Back