Introducing The TF2 Bots

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
In a recent post on the TF2 Blog, Mike Booth explains the new AI systems for Team Fortress 2. According to Mike these bots behave like human players and tactics and they don't "cheat" or use omniscient knowledge of the server state to make their decisions.

TFBots are "players", and take up player slots. They run the exact same code that human players do, moving and firing weapons by pressing "virtual buttons". The bots have simulated humanlike senses, and only know what they see, hear, and touch. They also have realistic reaction times and aiming limitations. They don't "cheat" or use omniscient knowledge of the server state to make their decisions.

Since this is a beta, the bots only run on these King of the Hill maps: koth_viaduct, koth_sawmill, and koth_nucleus. There's also no interface in the game to accessing them yet, so you'll need to access them manually. You can find more info here.

Booth's PowerPoint presentation for GDC 2010 on game AI. :)

Are there any videos up for people testing out the bots?

Might make a server tomorrow, just to take the AI for a spin.

Are there any videos up for people testing out the bots?

Might make a server tomorrow, just to take the AI for a spin.

They are pretty good.

People say they can play Gravel pit after generating .navs

Medics heal, they hold points, they cap points. I could swear it's better than a real game ;)

hopefully this will help them with the coding of bots on left 4 dead 2 and other games

It would be cool if they used these and made an interesting single-player experience further on down the road.

I always thought that TF2 was kind of odd as a stand-alone with no singleplayer. It does make sense in the Orange Box, though. This will be a welcome addition.

The bots are very intelligent and act like real players, but use even better tactics. Medics will heal their nearby teammates and then eventually pair up with a Heavy, just like in real games. Engineers will immediately begin creating buildings at the start of the match and will later upgrade them fully.

Probably the best part was when I added only Pyros to each team. They ran out of their spawns and instantly pulled out their shotguns to shoot from long range! Then, when they got close enough to each other, they pulled out their regular flamethrowers and started burning each other mercilessly.

So I have to say, I am very impressed with these bots.

Just don't spawn a full team of snipers, they tend to clump really badly.

These bots are fun to play with. I found a server running them because I can't load them on a local server without it crashing the game. The snipers are brutal with perfect aim. Pyros actually ambush you occasionally, as do scouts. A pyro actually killed me with a reflected rocket once. The only class that's not impressive is spy. They are mostly useless and only attack with the revolver. They will disguise but I've never seen them try to stab or sap. The bots also don't charge with ubers. They just behave as if they aren't ubered. Overall, they are more impressive than the RCbots although they don't use melee as much as RCbots.

Spies might be the most difficult bot to code for; I don't blame them.

Only bad pyros do that.
e5l44y.png

Yes, please, let's not get back into the "W+M1" thing again. My subscribed threads list can't take that ordeal again.

Back