Italian PM to Obama : "I Like Your Tan."

simonjedi

Spy
Reaction score
Silvio Berlusconi made the comment at a joint press conference with Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev.

"I will try to help relations between Russia and the United States where a new generation has come to power, and I don't see problems for Medvedev to establish good relations with Obama who is handsome, young and suntanned," he said.

Italy's left-wing opposition parties have demanded Mr Berlusconi apologise for the gaffe - which they say is at worst racist and at best a diplomatic blunder.

"Berlusconi cannot control himself in the best of circumstances," said Dario Franceschini of Italy's centre-left opposition Democratic Party.

"He forgets that his words hurt our country's image in the world."

But the Italian leader, who himself sports a suntan, hit back at his critics - accusing them of not having a sense of humour.

"God save us from the imbeciles," he said.

The 72-year-old media mogul is no stranger to putting his foot in it.

While campaigning for elections in 2006, he famously said that Chinese people "boiled babies for fertiliser" during the Mao Zedong era.

At his first meeting with Danish Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen in 2002, Mr Berlusconi said: "Rasmussen is not only a great colleague, he's also the best-looking prime minister in Europe.

"He's so good looking, I'm even thinking of introducing him to my wife."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20081107/twl-i-like-your-tan-pm-s-obama-gaffe-3fd0ae9.html

Haha, god save us from the imbeciles!

edit: yeah Absinthe, me either

See, the thing is, apparently, often when Berlusconi says something like this, it is carefully timed to make sure whatever dirty deal his government has just carried out gets demoted to page 30 in the Italian papers, whereas the first page is instead dedicated to whatever stupid thing he said.

Now, he's probably still pretty stupid for saying these things, but there is at least a method to the madness.

ugh, who cares really. He didnt mean it.

See, the thing is, apparently, often when Berlusconi says something like this, it is carefully timed to make sure whatever dirty deal his government has just carried out gets demoted to page 30 in the Italian papers, whereas the first page is instead dedicated to whatever stupid thing he said.

Political genius.

Sadly that vid's not real, Monkey. The fact that it's so easy to believe it could be him says a lot though...

haha that vid is quality! the guy seriously looks like the real man himself though!!

Then it's not really genius.

Just political corruption.

Corruption would imply a crime of some sort- not just diverting attention from a hot issue. That isn't a term you should throw around loosely in the least. I'm assuming because most math has done before that any further application of it in a good form cannot be genius?

I don't know anything about this guy's policies but he's a political genius if he is this media savvy. Do you people have to argue everything?

I think that it's funny you jump to POLITICAL GENIUS when any idiot does something that tyrants have been doing for generations. Just because a politician is able to stay in office doesn't mean he's a genius. Any retard who has been within ear shot of a political science class could have figured out how to manipulate the media.

You're one of those creepy kids who thinks that just because they read The Prince for an English assignment means they're somehow an authority on Machiavellian politico. Political genius would be transforming completely something bad into something good. Augustus was a genius. Benjamin Franklin was a genius. Caligula was a creature. Hitler was a misguided orator.

In this guy's case, if he's hiding something bad (why would you hide anything if it wasn't bad) then he's obviously a giant prick. I mean I guess he could be doing something good perceived as evil, but that's pretty rare.

I see Pesh's little sister finally got off Pesh's account. Horray!

I think that it's funny you jump to POLITICAL GENIUS when any idiot does something that tyrants have been doing for generations. Just because a politician is able to stay in office doesn't mean he's a genius. Any retard who has been within ear shot of a political science class could have figured out how to manipulate the media.

Those tyrants were political geniuses.

I'm not saying they were good people in the least. As far as staying popular and manipulating the media through its own doing they were masters of the art. Just because they did terrible things does not negate the fact that they excelled in what THEY wanted to have happen. Hitler was a douche bag but if he was reincarnated he would make one hell of a campaign strategist- that's what I'm saying.

A lot of you HATE Karl Rove but that doesn't mean he isn't good at WHAT HE DOES.

You're reading much, much farther into what I'm saying than you should.

Those tyrants were political geniuses.

I'm not saying they were good people in the least. As far as staying popular and manipulating the media through its own doing they were masters of the art. Just because they did terrible things does not negate the fact that they excelled in what THEY wanted to have happen. Hitler was a douche bag but if he was reincarnated he would make one hell of a campaign strategist- that's what I'm saying.

A lot of you HATE Karl Rove but that doesn't mean he isn't good at WHAT HE DOES.

You're reading much, much farther into what I'm saying than you should.

There's "not totally retarded" and then there's "genius". Bumping a story off the front page is the former.

Back