Iranian Elections Erupt in Utter Chaos

This just in: Unozero is a crossdresser.

I agree with Saturos though, the current Iranian regime has been in power for 2000 years guys! Those uncivilized louts should have done something before now, what.

I do love some nice stockings

some places in africa are nice doesn't mean I'd go there lol.
We aren't asking anyone to go there. I get the feeling some of you would rather go to war with them than to try to relate with them.

You should want peace and democracy in Iran. To put it simply: we need to be at peace with Iran. Many of these Iranians - especially the younger generation - are just like us. They have their own history and culture, but they are us just the same.

Does anyone doubt the resolve of the Iranian people? If anyone thought Viet-Nam was un-winnable...

We really don't want or need to be involved in a military conflict with Iran if possible. Their leadership is the problem, not the people.

I love how people react when what they say is retarded bullshit and they get called on it.

UPDATE:

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- A group of 20 to 30 men, carrying clubs and metal pipes, banged on the door of an apartment building in a Tehran neighborhood.

The group was agitated. They chanted and shouted and kept banging on the building's door. Inside, they suspected, was a person who had chanted a slogan against President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

This scene was witnessed by CNN reporters in Tehran on Sunday. But in the confusion and controversy that has followed Ahmadinejad's re-election, many stories like this have been told through social networking Web sites such as Twitter -- despite reports that the Iranian government has clamped down on such services and mobile phones.

The scene was just one involving both sides of the heated debate after Friday's election.

The landslide defeat of Ahmadinejad's leading opponent, Mir Hossein Moussavi, who some analysts predicted would win the election, triggered angry protests in Iran and other cities around the world. Video Watch how the world is reacting to the elections »

The protests also appeared to trigger a counterreaction from supporters of Ahmadinejad, tens of thousands of whom rallied in central Tehran on Sunday.

"I'm seeing something that I've never seen before," one Moussavi supporter told CNN earlier in the day. "Young people are getting abused, sabotaged, hit with batons."

The Moussavi supporter, whose name CNN is concealing for security reasons, reported hearing gunshots and seeing men in plainclothes breaking windows.
Don't Miss

Meanwhile, Iranian media has mostly ignored the protests and international journalists have been prevented from covering the demonstrations. The Islamic republic has ordered the Dubai-based satellite network Al-Arabiya's Tehran bureau shuttered for a week.

Ahmadinejad told a crowd of tens of thousands of supporters Sunday that Iran's elections are "the soundest, the healthiest of their kind." And he told reporters his country had a free press, and people "can say whatever they like."

Moussavi's supporters say the election was rigged. But the huge turnout for Ahmadinejad's victory speech Sunday leaves no doubt that the president carries plenty of support.

The streets of Tehran were crowded Sunday with supporters and detractors of Ahmadinejad, as protests and clashes continued for the second day after his re-election. Protesters lit tires and garbage on fire and crowds milling on the streets, blocking traffic.

Before the victory rally, however, riot police fired tear gas and brandished batons to disperse about 100 stone-throwing protesters from the site of his address.
advertisement

There were reports of clashes between police and protesters, but many of the injuries were being blamed on groups of Ahmadinejad supporters -- who wore nothing identifying them as police -- who chased Moussavi supporters, as CNN witnessed.

"It's horrific, shameful and paradoxical to what you see on TV," the Moussavi supporter said
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/14/iran.protests.scene/index.html

just to verify, this is some crazy shit going on. almost all the major news outlets seem to have it straight for once when it comes to this issue at hand

We aren't asking anyone to go there. I get the feeling some of you would rather go to war with them than to try to relate with them.

You should want peace and democracy in Iran. To put it simply: we need to be at peace with Iran. Many of these Iranians - especially the younger generation - are just like us. They have their own history and culture, but they are us just the same.

Does anyone doubt the resolve of the Iranian people? If anyone thought Viet-Nam was un-winnable...

We really don't want or need to be involved in a military conflict with Iran if possible. Their leadership is the problem, not the people.

where did I ever say lets go to war with iran?

dumbass,of course I want a more secular government there.

No offense, but your a ****ing retard.
You shouldn't be apologizing to me, but to those who actually are clinically retarded since your making a blatant mass generalization.

LOL, you guys are hypocrites with double-standards. Typical retarded human behavior.

Wait....oops. :rolleyes:

P.S. Not everyone here has down-syndrome.

You shouldn't be apologizing to me, but to those who actually are clinically retarded since your making a blatant mass generalization.

LOL, you guys are hypocrites with double-standards. Typical retarded human behavior.

Wait....oops. :rolleyes:

P.S. Not everyone here has down-syndrome.

... did you just say he should apologise to retards for saying that you're one of them?

... did you just say he should apologise to retards for saying that you're one of them?
No, that was sarcasm.

He should apologize to me for being so insolent. Like many others expect me to do when they don't like my opinions. (which I don't)

dumbass,of course I want a more secular government there.
Where did I ever say you said lets go to war with Iran? Also I never said secular, so don't imply that I did.

Meanwhile, Iranian media has mostly ignored the protests and international journalists have been prevented from covering the demonstrations.
They are trying to glaze over something like this? Like it never happened? From just the images on the first page, this should be all over the news.

That is our democracy, give it back! You are an islamic state, it doesn't even fit!

My favorite part of this thread is the one where Saturos goes "dirty brown people are uncivilized because they aren't resisting their dictators" when that is exactly what they're doing right now.

Anyway, best of luck to the protestors and Iranian people...hopefully this sets an example to the rest of the region.

In polls, the majority of Americans favor military strikes on Iran. I apologize if it sounded like I put you in that category. It was not directed at you, (hence the use of plural form) it was just my train of thought.

Ahmadinejad paid off the poor with LOADS of moolah so his winning should not come as too much of a shock (if it sticks), but with such a ridiculously filthy system in place can anyone really say that they won and not be lying through their teeth??

This made me laugh a lot. My lungs are burning but still I laughed.

No, that was sarcasm.

He should apologize to me for being so insolent. Like many others expect me to do when they don't like my opinions. (which I don't)

People don't expect you to apologise for your opinions. They just hope that you'll stop being such a huge douche.

I really hope the people overthrow their corrupt government in Iran. if the protests get big enough they could just storm Ahmadinejad and pick the little man up and tie him to a chair and then throw him off a building. NOW Thats Democracy!

lol, silly little tyrant A isnt going to do a better job than silly tyrant B ...because they dont actually have any real power; the mullahs do
so throwing Ahmadinejad off a building will do little

oh and americans need to STFU about Iranian democracy, because without you they might have had a chance:

The 1953 Iranian coup d'etat deposed the democratically-elected government of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mosaddeq .....The coup was organized by the United States' CIA and the United Kingdom's MI6

The British and American spy agencies returned the monarchy to Iran by installing the pro-western Mohammed Reza Pahlevi on the throne where his brutal rule lasted 26 years [which led to Islamic revolution after Pahlevi was disposed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'etat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état

...What?

You know what, your right. The Iranians have 2000 years of barbarism behind them. Thats why they were more advanced than the west in the middle ages.

Yeah. Rather than admit I was an idiot I'm going to continue to argue.

/sarcasm

I also hope they overthrow their government, but i dont think what will replace it will be much better. This has happened before people...history repeats itself. Once people wake up and realize that things behind the scenes are tampering with the pseudo "democracy" they have, they can do a REAL revolution and create a new system of governance, which doesn't necessarily have to be democracy (which can so easily be corrupted and miss used), but something better that havent been seen before.

That is our democracy, give it back! You are an islamic state, it doesn't even fit!

I lol'd heartily.

btw, Stern's right.

The reason the U.S. did that was because the democratically elected government back then wouldn't allow us to move in with our own oil rigs, as I understand it.

Shooting reported at mostly peaceful Moussavi protest rally

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- Hundreds of thousands of people jammed the streets of Iran's capital Monday to show support for presidential challenger Mir Hossein Moussavi in a rally marred by reports of gunfire near its end.

Moussavi appeared at Monday's demonstration, dressed in an open-neck striped shirt and waving to supporters flooding the streets surrounding Azadi "Freedom" Square.

It was his first public appearance since Friday's election, which has triggered widespread claims of fraud from his supporters.

The official results showed incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad winning with more than 62 percent of the vote. Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is the true leader of Iran, has given his blessing to the outcome of the election.

Moussavi's supporters have taken to the streets since the results were announced, often clashing with police and with Ahmadinejad's supporters. Photo View images of unrest in Tehran's streets »

Iran's Guardian Council -- a body of top clerics and judges that supervises elections -- will look into Moussavi's complaints, and it is expected to issue its findings within 10 days.

Hundreds of riot police were deployed at the edge of Monday's march, but did not intervene even as gunfire erupted, Iran's Press TV reporter Amir Mehdi Kazemi said.
Don't Miss

* Q & A: Was the Iranian election rigged?
* Iranians take their protests online
* CNN.com in Arabic
* iReport.com: Protests go global

"A number of people started shooting, I heard a couple of gunshots and then this resulted in a number of people starting yelling at that particular building," Kazemi said.

"The police have not shown any involvement in this issue right now; the people are running."

At least one person, a boy, appeared to be injured by the gunfire, he said.

A photographer for another news agency reported one person had been shot and killed at Azadi "Freedom" Square.

A photograph from that agency, which aired on CNN, showed a man apparently lying dead on the street with a large amount of blood around him from a gunshot wound to the head. Another man squatted over him, his arms outstretched.

The news agency has not linked the photograph with the photographer's report, however. Another photograph showed a man who appeared to have been shot in the abdomen; he was alive and being carried from the scene. View timeline of Iraq's modern history »

CNN could not independently confirm the reports.

Moussavi spoke to supporters using a loudspeaker, and clasped his hands over his head as the crowd cheered, television pictures from the scene showed. Amateur video from the scene showed people clapping their hands over their heads -- but there was little or no chanting of political slogans among the marchers, and demonstrators quieted anyone who tried to shout, because the Interior Ministry has banned political demonstrations, CNN's Christiane Amanpour reported.

The rally was a repeat of a march that Moussavi supporters staged Wednesday, before the election. Many of the participants wore green, a color traditionally associated with Islam that Ahmadinejad opponents have adopted as their own. Video Watch report on latest violence in Iran »

Ahmadinejad was declared the winner of the election by a margin of 2 to 1, surprising many experts who had expected Moussavi to win.

Supporters of Ahmadinejad said the incumbent's widespread support in rural areas and small towns was the reason for his victory.

Ahmadinejad is a "populist" who favors "redistributive justice" and "pays keen attention" to rural areas and small towns, where 75 percent of Iran's voters live, political scientist Kaveh Afrasiabi said.

Moussavi may have won in the capital, "but he lost in the provinces, and that's something they have to come to terms with," Afrasiabi said.

Moussavi and the other two defeated candidates, Mehdi Karrubi and Mohsen Rezaie, have reportedly been invited to the Guardian Council on Tuesday to discuss any concerns over the election results.

There have been several violent incidents blamed on groups of Ahmadinejad supporters. Armed with clubs, metal batons and baseball bats, men in motorcycles reportedly combed streets and alleys for protesters Sunday, chasing and beating them.

On Sunday, a family who lives in a high-rise apartment near Moussavi's election headquarters in Tehran reported that their building was attacked by militiamen.

Photos show damage to the building and nearby vehicles. A relative of one of the residents, who did not want to be identified, said the attack happened after people inside the building shouted "Dictator!" and "Allah o Akhbar," or "God is Great," from the windows.

Washington is "closely watching" the situation in Iran, State Department spokesman Ian Kelly said Monday.

"We are deeply troubled by the reports of violence, arrests and possible voting irregularities," he said.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Monday that the "genuine will of the Iranian people should be respected" and that the United Nations is "closely following" events in the country. Photo See images from protests around the world »

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the way Iran deals with the demonstrations will affect Tehran's international relations.

"The way the regime responds to legitimate protests will have implications for Iran's relationships with the rest of the world in future," he told the House of Commons on Monday.

Several countries, including Canada and France, also voiced concern about vote irregularities, but had not explicitly refused to accept the results.

Germany, one of Iran's biggest trading partners and a key player in efforts to dissuade Iran from pursuing a nuclear program, said it would summon the Iranian ambassador Monday to explain "brutal handling" of protesters.

Iranian media mostly ignored the protests and international journalists were prevented from covering the demonstrations.

Iranian authorities closed Al-Arabiya's Tehran bureau for a week without explanation, the Arabic network said on Sunday. Two reporters were attacked outside Moussavi's headquarters on Friday, according to Reporters Without Borders, the France-based media rights group. Video Watch report on beaten journalists »

Reporters for an Italian station, RAI, and for Reuters were beaten by police in the capital, Tehran, the group said, and a CNN producer was hit with a police baton.

Protests have also been held in cities including Washington; London, England, and Toronto, Ontario, while tens of thousands of others championed the demonstrations on social-networking Web sites. Video Watch protests in London »
advertisement

Con Coughlin, a British journalist and author of "Khomeini's Ghost" said Iran has twice seen public calls for reform in recent years. On both occasions -- in 1999 after the closure of a reformist newspaper; and after parliamentary elections in 2000 -- the military stepped in.

"On both those occasions, the Revolutionary Guard, the security forces, came out in force. And within a few days, the whole thing has been crushed," he said. "I just fear the same thing will happen this time."

I guess quite a few people got hurt and some killed. very out of control at this point. i hope something good comes of this

Yeah. Dumb Americans ruining the world for the rest of us.

lol! political shifts can take hundreds of years to take place natually, and the US usually makes them in far less. they don't happen overnight people

oh and americans need to STFU about Iranian democracy, because without you they might have had a chance:
Our government sent out the jackals and such but that doesn't mean that an American can't be opposed to that sheet.

Defiance and death on Tehran's streets

At least 19 people died after clashes Saturday in Tehran. Thousands of anti-government protesters swept into the streets and were met by security forces armed with batons, tear gas and water cannons. A human rights group said demonstrators beaten by security forces were arrested in hospitals

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/20/iran.election/index.html

Looks like this is the worst day of protests so far, or the best depending on your side on the issue. hopefully the real citizens fighting for democracy realize they outnumber the politicians, policemen, and dolts out there

man last night it sounded like it was gonna calm down...I guess not r.i.p to the victims.

man last night it sounded like it was gonna calm down...I guess not r.i.p to the victims.

Sounds more like things are escalating to me. Yesterday (the 20th) a 16-year-old girl named Neda was shot and killed while watching a rally with her father. A few nearby people happened to have camera phones. They didn't catch the actual shooting, just the aftermath and her death.

Warning, graphic.

There have also been 18 other confirmed deaths.

I think it will keep on boiling, its started something and likely that Iran will not be properly stable for quite a while now.

Edit: After watching that for the third time, I'm just about crying right now. Not matter what language it is in; grief and utter horror sound the same, that's just so sad.

I watched that video of the Iranian woman shot and killed(before seeing this thread).

Terrible to watch. Really hits you in the gut.

I don't believe that Mousavi would be much better than Ahmadinejad at all, but I do sympathize entirely with the protesters who simply want change for the better.

It sickens me deeply that conservatives/republicans are using this situation as a cheap political ploy to attack democrats.

I see them parading on their internet message boards how they support the Iranian protesters, how they're all on their side. I see them mention the name of the woman who was killed and what it means in Arabic as if it was a great thing, and yet they choose to treat any other Arabic sounding name, like Hussein for instance, as an insult and a mark of the enemy to their cause. I see them posting phrases in Arabic in support of the Iranians, but at any other time they would have viewed that same Arabic language as a threat due to their xenophobia.

To hear them say things like liberals/democrats don't care about the Iranian protesters, and don't care about the suffering going on, it boils my blood. Given their past behavior towards anything foreign and non-American, I can't believe anything else but this being a political ploy on their part done with shady goals in mind. I can't tolerate that kind of ****ing idiocy and it makes me want to hurt somebody.

Good thing I'm not a violent individual though.

I would gladly like to stand side by side in unanimous support for the protesters, because I do side with them on this. I just don't think dropping bombs all over the cities is the way to resolve the situation in the best manner, and it will most definitely make things worse for them, and for us, now and into the future. It makes me furious that this has to be used as a wedge issue.

Aw man that was horrid. I don't consider myself an overly sensitive type of bloke but that had my hand over my mouth.

That was horrid...That's only going to fuel the anger.

The ayatollah is going to have to tread very ****ing carefully now, its one thing having a few bumps and bruises but on the one hand you have a video of a riot polcie officer getting looked after by the protesters, and on the other you have this girl...dying on the street like that for nothing.....that makes me sick.

If any more people die the Mullah's better hope it doesn't get caught by camera because that's going to create the type of anger that could push people to shoot back.

I hope the ****er who shot her gets what's coming to him but unlikely.

In polls, the majority of Americans favor military strikes on Iran. I apologize if it sounded like I put you in that category. It was not directed at you, (hence the use of plural form) it was just my train of thought.

As in strikes on their nuclear facilities.

How dumb do you have to be to not understand the many and varied subtle differences and concepts that the almighty English language is capable of conveying?.

What is Iran most famous for recently (aside from chaotic internal strife) 1) run by Islamic fundamentalists and 2) wants the bomb.

I think its natural for most people in this case to quite like the idea of bombing Iran's atom mills.

@Raziaar, language is Persian not Arabic.

My mistake. Same still applies though. Thanks for the correction.

To continue on what you said though, if you give me a group of slavic languages, I typically won't be able to point out which is which. Give me a group of oriental langauges, I'll have great difficulty pointing out even the major ones. Same goes for middle eastern languages etc etc.

what's a "Basijie" guys?

Basij.

I didn't know what it was until this cropped up.

Wikipedia has this to say.

is a volunteer-based Iranian paramilitary force founded by the order of the Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini on November 1979. The Basij are subordinate to, and receive their orders from, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards.

Originally consisting of those males "either too crippled or old for regular military service,"[2] the Basij are perhaps most famous for providing the volunteers that made up the human wave attacks against the Iraqis during the Iran–Iraq War, particularly around Basra.[1] Currently Basij serve as an auxiliary force engaged in activities such as law enforcement, emergency management, the providing of social service, organizing of public religious ceremonies, and more controversially morals policing and the suppression of dissident gatherings.[3][4] They have a local organization in almost every city in Iran.[5]

Back