I've noticed a lot of games have a "Citadel".

Archist

Reaction score
I don't know why, but in a lot of video games there is a Citadel.

In the game Fallout 3, an important location of the game is a Citadel.

I remember hearing in Mass Effect 2 there was a Citadel too.

Just thought it was kind of strange.

There's Citadel in System Shock.
There's Citadel Island in Little Big Adventure series.

It's just one of those mystic-sounding terms that's pretty standard Sci-Fi terminology for anything ancient or just generally imposing. As Barnz points out already, Half-Life 2 wasn't the first abuse of the term.

A 'Citadel' is a synonym for fortress. It sounds better than 'fortress'.

I would much rather kick down the door of a citadel than a fortress.

The Citadel is also a military college in S. Carolina.

Founded 1842.

My town, Shumen has it's very own "Citadel" too:
10960195.jpg

P.S. It's should have been an office installment for the next door post office, but was never finished. It's risen as a symbol of abandonment.

That's a nice building, do you have more pictures of it?

Medieval II: Total War has plenty of citadels, but it takes much time to upgrade to them.

Don't the locusts have a citadel in Gears of War?

I've thought this at some point as well - another term bandied about is hunters -
Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Dead Space, WoW, Spyro 3 - there will be more that have slipped my mind, but there you go.

I don't know why, but in a lot of video games there is a Citadel.

In the game Fallout 3, an important location of the game is a Citadel.

I remember hearing in Mass Effect 2 there was a Citadel too.

Just thought it was kind of strange.

Why did you steal that avatar?

It's funny how I played Fallout 3 months ago, but I don't remember a single thing from it.

Citadel sounds much more Cinister

I've noticed a lot of games have "Guns".

Citadel is a synonym for fortress or stronghold. It's really a generic term used often in movies and video games because it, "sounds cool". I thought about that same thing once too, but then I also realized that anywhere could be a "citadel" with proper fortifications.

EDIT>
A 'Citadel' is a synonym for fortress. It sounds better than 'fortress'.

I would much rather kick down the door of a citadel than a fortress.
^Dammit. Beaten to the punch! Funnier way of putting it than mine though.

Citadel is a synonym for fortress or stronghold. It's really a generic term used often in movies and video games because it, "sounds cool". I thought about that same thing once too, but then I also realized that anywhere could be a "citadel" with proper fortifications.

EDIT>^Dammit. Beaten to the punch! Funnier way of putting it than mine though.

Not quite right. In some ancient cities and fortifications, citadels were tall tower-like buildings - not always, used as provision storage, weapon storage or simply as dorms.
Half-Life 2 and other games don't just call it a Citadel just "because it sounds cool", it's for a reason. Mostly citadels were in central places related to other buildings around them and were well fortified.

Back