Japan Holds Hippies Hostage

Kyorisu

Tank
Reaction score
AN Australian and a Briton are being held hostage aboard a Japanese whaling vessel in the Southern Ocean, the Sea Shepherd anti-whaling group says.

Benjamin Potts, 28, of Sydney, and Giles Lane, 35, from Britain, crew from the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society vessel Steve Irwin, boarded the Japanese whaling vessel Yashin Maru No 2 about 5pm (AEDT), the group's international director Jonny Vasic said.

The ship was one of a fleet of five the Steve Irwin had tracked since January 1 but located today, Mr Vasic said.

The men boarded the vessel from a Zodiac boat to hand its captain a letter informing him that the vessel's crew was “illegally killing whales” in the Southern Whale Sanctuary.

“When they got on board and delivered the letter they were not allowed to leave,” Mr Vasic said.

“The letter basically stated that they (the Japanese crew) were breaking the international conservation law against whaling in the Antarctic sanctuary.”

Mr Vasic said the men were tied to a radar mast for up to three hours in freezing conditions before they were taken to a locked room below deck.

“We have a photo that shows that when they were held they were basically strapped by the arms with zip ties and tied with rope around their chests, and then they were held there for several hours in the cold, and then about two and a half to three hours in that, they were taken below,” he said.

Mr Vasic said Sea Shepherd had contacted the British High Commission in Australia and the Australian Federal Police to report the incident.

“We're hoping that the Federal Government and the British Government will step up and do the right thing, which is demand the release of their citizens,” Mr Vasic said.

“We're trying to contact (the Japanese vessel) by radio. They are moving away from us but we're in pursuit and we are holding off on taking any further action until we know if the governments are doing anything.”

Mr Lane is an engineer aboard the Steve Irwin. Mr Potts is a cook.

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) is investigating the incident.

An AFP spokeswoman said a Sea Shepherd Conservation Society representative made a report to police early this evening, about 6pm (AEDT), saying two of their activists were being held on board a Japanese vessel in the Southern Ocean.

There is no evidence at this stage that the pair had been tied to a radar mast on board that vessel, the AFP spokeswoman said.

The incident occurred just inside the Australian Antarctic Sanctuary near the intersection of the coordinates 60 degrees south and 77 degrees east, a week's sail south-west of the Australian coast, Mr Vasic said.

The encounter came after the Federal Court outlawed whaling in Australian Antarctic waters in a ruling the Government said it would not try to enforce.peThe Sea Shepherd Conservation Society earlier reported that the crew of the Steve Irwin had located five whaling vessels at 11.15am (AEDT) today on the 60-degree south line.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23059320-2,00.html

...but the photo shows one of the "hippies" and he has short hair ..obviously not a hippie

anyways kidnapping is against the law so unless they be pirates they're in trouble

Heh, crazy Japanese....

Great country, nice people, but god knows they can do some really random crazy things sometimes. :LOL:

< <; @ ex g/f

Oh, good job Japanese Whalers. You idjits.

...but the photo shows one of the "hippies" and he has short hair ..obviously not a hippie

anyways kidnapping is against the law so unless they be pirates they're in trouble

If the ships captain felt like anyone on his vessel is causing a problem, he has the authority to arrest :D

Until I see evidence that they were given permission to come aboard, the hippies will not have my sympathy.

Tying them to a mast in freezing conditions for three hours seems a little... overboard, if you see what I mean.

kekekekeke.

Who in their right minds boards a ship of another country for what ever reason and thinks they are not going to spend time in the slammer? Giggle my arse of if they are tried and convicted and spend 5 months in remand. bloody dipshits.

Hippies naturally don't have my sympathy, and that includes hippies that board Japanese ships.

If I recall correctly, we had a Gearing class Destroyer sink a greenpeace(or some other hippy group) vessle once for something similiar....

Those dumbf*cks overstepped their bounds. And I don't mean the Japanese. Protesters should know better than to board other vessels. Maybe now they've learned their lesson.

I don't know what the law of the sea is, but boarding another ship without an invitation certainly seems like a hostile action.

and kidnapping, holding someone against their will is a misdemeanor? pretty sure kidnapping, forcible confinement trumps trespassing

Numbers said:
Hippies naturally don't have my sympathy, and that includes hippies that board Japanese ships.

what hippies? look at the photo, do they look like hippies to you? the one pictured has short hair and glasses, looks like a scientist type ..so you have no sympathy for scientist types or does that only apply to hippie types?

Kidnapping?

Hope they take them back to stand trial in Japan.

what hippies? look at the photo, do they look like hippies to you? the one pictured has short hair and glasses, looks like a scientist type ..so you have no sympathy for scientist types or does that only apply to hippie types?

Oh please. Green Peace and many other environmental groups = Hippies. My point is only further proven by the fact they are willing to do stupid acts like boarding another nations vessel without permission. Why can't the Navy do some scientific research? Like how long does a Jap whaling ship take to sink when it's full of torpedo's. Except replace the torpedoes with hippies. Two problems solved at once.

Update...sort of: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23060183-2,00.html

Oh please. Green Peace and many other environmental groups = Hippies.

wide sweeping generalization ftl ..please provide evidence that they are "hippies" ..every last one of them ..and perhaps before you do you should define what exactly is a "hippie" ..does long hair make you a hippy or is it simply being an enviromentalist ..cuz there's plenty of scientists who are enviromentalist and doctors and lawyers and pretty much from every walk of life ..but you go right ahead an label an entire group, cuz it's easier to dismiss their ideology that way

"oh they're only hippies"

My point is only further proven by the fact they are willing to do stupid acts like boarding another nations vessel without permission.

and kidnapping forceable confinement is justified because of their stupidity? give me a break

and kidnapping, holding someone against their will is a misdemeanor? pretty sure kidnapping, forcible confinement trumps trespassing

Not to mention in any real court of law, arresting someone for coming aboard to deliver a letter then heading to leave is hardly reasonable grounds.

Anyway, I have no sympathy for the whalers, all they do is kill whales that are chopped up and then WASTED because get this, the vast vast vast vast vast vast majority of Japanese wont take a second look at the stuff.

It is essentially killing with no justifiable motivation, they're just killed for Japan to stick it to the international man, some national pride bullshit or whatever.

I wouldn't be so annoyed, but its exactly because it serves no real purpose that its disgusting. If they hauled a dead whale to feed a starving village, I could forgive it, but they don't.

Nothing more then a misguided reactionary poorly considered policy in defense of some culture or something, because we all know that Japanese whalers had modern vessels that went down to the south pacific back in the feudal era amirite????.

Its not culture, its killing to eat, except in this case no-one eats the blubber mountains, and they don't exactly have a shortage of food in the first place.

While I don't generally like Greenpeace type groups, the Japanese whaling situation is ridiculous.
Them killing so many whales for "scientific research" is a comeplete joke and shouldn't be allowed.

I's not kidnapping, it's arrest for trespassing. I'm sure it'll be sorted out when the boats return home.

Ẁho's using the broad stereotypes now stern? :)

it's not a stereotype if it's true:

wiki said:
both men and women in the hippie movement wore jeans and maintained long hair,[60] ...Hippies often chose brightly colored clothing and wore unusual styles, such as bell-bottom pants, vests, tie-dyed garments ....accessories for both men and women included Native American jewelry, head scarves, headbands

it's not a stereotype if it's true:

Nope. Stereotypes are any simplified and standardised conception of a group. Doesn't matter how accurate it is.

But if you're absolutely convinced of that, whatever. Semantic arguments are boring as hell. And offtopic.

You don't want to get sent to a Japanese slammer.

Lets just say that whether your a murderer or tax evader, your going to be very miserable. :p

rofl Stern. You can't be serious.

You tell Kyo he's generalizing by saying they are hippies because they are environmentalists, (you know, something that actually MEANS something), and you say hippies have to have long hair and tie-dye shirts, rofl. I hope to god that you're being silly on purpose. Good job quoting the wiki. It says hippies USUALLY are seen with those visual cues. That has ****ing nothing to do with what they actually are, Stern. I can wear tie-dye and have long hair, that doesn't mean shit. An environmentalist that would do something like the guys in this news story can be safely called hippies. That's what hippies DO. Even if by the small chance that they aren't, you're argument for what a hippie is is beyond ridiculous compared to Kyo's. Like, I thought you were being sarcastic until you kept mentioning it and quoting the wiki.

Oh and "it's not a stereotype if it's true" rofl.

school let out early? I was wondering when you'd show ..just so I can tell you to stfu

I dont need to justify anything to trolls

Man, what?

Explain how I'm trolling. I pointed out several reasons why your posts in this thread are ridiculous. I understand that you don't feel like answering, in that case just dont' post at all.

your contribution to this thread is taking me to task for using a stereotype completely ignoring the topic of this thread ..sounds like trolling to me

and no I dont feel like answering because ...

cptstern said:
there's a disturbing trend recently of certain people nitpicking the **** out of minor points made by other people that they completely and utterly derail the thread ..it just becomes a long winded argument on one point ..and even when it's clarified, even when the nitpicker is proven to be absolutely wrong, they still continue ..winning at any cost, even if it means spamming for the sake of sheer stubborness

it's really tiresome and is the reason why we absolutely never resolve an issue ..on anything.

I'm not the one who started the argument on calling them hippies Stern. I believe you were the person to first question the term.

I agree with you completely on ignoring semantical arguments. Like I said, if you don't want to reply to my post, then don't. If you wanted me to get the picture quicker, you should have just said "I'm not going to continue arguing that" (because you WERE arguing it in this thread) without being a troll telling me to "stfu". Excuse me? You don't tell me to stfu on a forum, on the internet.

I'm not the one who started the argument on calling them hippies Stern. I believe you were the person to first question the term.

what goddam argument? do I have to spell out when I'm being tongue in ****ing cheek ..not everything is so goddam literal

I agree with you completely on ignoring semantical arguments. Like I said, if you don't want to reply to my post, then don't. If you wanted me to get the picture quicker, you should have just said "I'm not going to continue arguing that" (because you WERE arguing it in this thread) without being a troll telling me to "stfu". Excuse me? You don't tell me to stfu on a forum, on the internet.

stfu :E

..and you're right, not answering you is not playing into your hands ..you want to argue or you wouldnt have posted ..that said I'll chock it up as you're just posting your opinion ..well here's mine: you're not worth the effort ..dont take it personally, it's not that I dont like you (I'm neiher here nor there) it's just that you dont bring up a compelling argument ..ever, it's all nitpicking insignificant points which just makes debating extremely tedious and no fun to read ..seriously this needs to stop, the forum is already filled with flotsam, we dont need more

edit: lol, I love CrazyHarij's straight to the point-ness :LOL:

now can we just shake hands, kiss and make up and promise to never ever troll again?

/sticks out hand <slips joybuzzer between fingers>

what goddam argument? do I have to spell out when I'm being tongue in ****ing cheek ..not everything is so goddam literal
You are aware that every post of yours in this thread preceding mine brings up this "tongue in cheek" stuff about hippies? Sounds a bit much to me. Even going as far as quoting a wiki. Sounds like you're wasting more space than me here. [/quote]

stfu :E

..and you're right, not answering you is not playing into your hands ..you want to argue or you wouldnt have posted ..that said I'll chock it up as you're just posting your opinion ..well here's mine: you're not worth the effort ..dont take it personally, it's not that I dont like you (I'm neiher here nor there) it's just that you dont bring up a compelling argument ..ever, it's all nitpicking insignificant points which just makes debating extremely tedious and no fun to read ..seriously this needs to stop, the forum is already filled with flotsam, we dont need more
I never do? We've had plenty of large arguments before, Stern. You know that. Those were not about insignificant minor points. And if they were (in your opinion) you were just as much at fault as I was.

You are also aware that I have had like, zero arguments outside of the ones involving me and you as of late? You can't push the blame on to me when we are both equal participants. I usually jump into arguments that are already going between you and someone else, by the way.

I'm happy to resolve any problem between me and you Stern, but the only thing coming close to trolling in here was you. I type ONE response to what looks like you seriously telling everyone that tie-dye shirts are more important to being a hippie than being an environmentalist, when all of your posts in the thread bring that matter up. You yell at ME for trolling. I'm not the one who told you or anyone to "stfu" on a forum. As if you had some kind of authority on what people are allowed to post. The day you become a moderator is the day I leave hl2.net.

If you want to consider my post trolling then you are guilty too.

sigh ...so very very boring/tedious

well what do we have here another nitpicking extraveganza ..it's to the point where I'm like at a scene of an accident and cant tear myself away ..why o lord why do I feed the trolls? is this your curse for making fun of you? well that's too ****ing bad jebus, take it like a man ..errr god

You are aware that every post of yours in this thread preceding mine brings up this "tongue in cheek" stuff about hippies? Sounds a bit much to me. Even going as far as quoting a wiki. Sounds like you're wasting more space than me here.

hey look you nitpicked three words ..how many will you nitpick from the this sentence?

I never do? We've had plenty of large arguments before, Stern. You know that. Those were not about insignificant minor points. And if they were (in your opinion) you were just as much at fault as I was.

of course I'm at fault ..I said as much above ..it's definately a curse of some vengeful god

You are also aware that I have had like, zero arguments outside of the ones involving me and you as of late? You can't push the blame on to me when we are both equal participants. I usually jump into arguments that are already going between you and someone else, by the way.

which is trolling is it not? or at least the internet equivilent of a cheap shot/sucker punch/bum rush

The day you become a moderator is the day I leave hl2.net.

quick, someone make me a mod!!! ..I'd never be considered for a mod position ..too contreversial/prone to arguing/too hotheaded

I'm not trying to delay this stern. I want to get this resolved as much as you. I think your POV on this is way off. I think perhaps these little issues between us never end because you constantly misinterpret or avoid what I'm saying and drone on and on about how horrible of a member I am, when you can't even give straight responses to what I'm saying.

I can agree that we're both at fault.

That's trolling? I'm not allowed to post my opinion in an argument? Surely you jest good sir... If you insist your argument is so right, why would it be a problem that your opposition grows? "more idiots", right?

Also please see my edits.

Heh exaclty, even if I did decide not to leave, I'd be banned within moments :LOL:

I'm not trying to delay this stern. I want to get this resolved as much as you. I think your POV on this is way off.

that hippies wear tye-dye?

resolve: Do Hippies wear Tye-dye Shirts, pro or con?

I think perhaps these little issues between us never end because you constantly misinterpret or avoid what I'm saying and drone on and on about how horrible of a member I am, when you can't even give straight responses to what I'm saying.

dont mistake "couldnt be bothered" with "can't" ..and the issues never end because you nitpick them to death and I'm too stubborn to allow you the last word

I can agree that we're both at fault.

yes cause and effect

That's trolling? I'm not allowed to post my opinion in an argument? Surely you jest good sir... If you insist your argument is so right, why would it be a problem that your opposition grows? "more idiots", right?

my opposition is growing? oh my stars and garters, do they have a headcount? have they given out name cards? have they set a time to propose their agenda for the coming year?

if I have more of an "opposition" it's because I cant be bothered to reply to these posts politely because I'm so ****ing sick of the attitude displayed by some members ..so if I'm crass it's because what I'm answering doesnt merit being polite

*sigh* Stern. We're talking about the alleged nitpicking problem now, not hippies. I meant your POV in what we're discussing right now. You keep thinking I'm trying to 1up you or something, when I seriously want more than anything to just come to an agreement. Can you please stop with the witty comments every other line? They just make things worse. Let's try to get a friendly attitude for at least 5 minutes so we can end this.

Don't bring up an issue that you can't be bothered to argue to completion. You brought up the issue of people nitpicking too much in this thread. That is what we're currently discussing right now. (as offtopic as it is...) I just want to agree on this, because I do agree nitpicking = bad.

I don't know what you're talking about headcount and etc... I meant why are you complaining that I or anyone else jumps into an argument? This is a completely natural event. If I jump into an argument that involves you, I usually am on the other side. If I am a moron in your view, why should it be a problem. That's what I meant.

And as for your last point, being sick of people is not merit to be rude. You can deal with your anger problems elsewhere.

hey look you nitpicked three words ..how many will you nitpick from the this sentence?

Couldn't... stop... myself...
;)

But seriously guys, let it be. Continue this via pm and start talking about whaling, or how the Japanese shouldn't take Moby Dick so seriously or something.

But we're almost done! I promise! :p

Just because I haven't stated it already, my opinion is that the term "taken hostage" is misleading, when it's really just an citizen's arrest or something. The hippies should know better.

"or something"

they were tied to a mast against their will ..kidnapping/forcible confinement trumps trespassing any day

lol @ "anger problems" ...i'd call it being annoyed more than anything else ..but I tire of this "debate"

How funny... Nitpicking.

I think Stern is the only one on these forums capable of taking a paragraph of an opponent and extracting every single word, responding in turn with a paragraph for each.

We've all seen it.

I don't think they really had a choice.

The key here is preparing for the unknown. Who knows if these people could have had violent intentions? It's the same way cops will cuff you regardless of what you've done, or what they think you had the intention of doing. This is not the punishment for the crime. This is mere captivation until the real official punishment is doled.

(btw stern i hope we understand eachother)

Looks to me to be more like arrest for trespassing.
The term 'hostage' implies asking for something in return (in my opinion, lets avoid more semantics).

Tying them to the mast is a bit over the top though. Why not just keel-haul them too? :)

Back