Japan Holds Hippies Hostage

what's to understand? actually dont answer that, I have no desire to continue this conversation

I don't think they really had a choice.

The key here is preparing for the unknown. Who knows if these people could have had violent intentions?

they didnt have a choice but to kidnap them?

"sorry officer I didnt have a choice, they MADE me kidnap them ..and tie them to the mast and forcibly confine them"

"well, alrightee then, you're free to go"

Raziaar said:
I think Stern is the only one on these forums capable of taking a paragraph of an opponent and extracting every single word, responding in turn with a paragraph for each.

We've all seen it.

hey look more nitpicking

hey I'm thorough, I dont ignore the totality of someone's post and pick and choose what I want to answer ..like some people

I think the whole argument is bogus because we on the boards have no idea what was running through anyone's heads or what exactly happened.

the law is the law ..forcible confinement is still against the law no matter the circumstances

Are they supposed to throw them into a liferaft or something mid-cruise?

how about just allowing them to get back to their boat after delivering their letter ..call me crazy but that seems like the most rational response ..but kidnapping is a close second

Who knows if they got violent? That'd be enough reason to hold them.

2 guys on a shipload of seamen (oh those pesky seamen are everywhere) delivering a letter somehow got violent? that's a bit of stretch/clutching at straws

They did not ask for permission to board the whaling boat thus meaning they were trespassing. Trespassing is illegal, hence the whalers were allowed to arrest and detain the protesters. :angel:

On another note, what did the protesters think this petition would achieve? I highly doubt the whalers would give a shit.

:bounce:

I'm not trying to stretch anything because I'm not arguing. Obviously if the events had played out like you think they did, you would be correct, and I agree. I'm merely presenting possible scenarios where what they did was justifiable, or at least not as drastic.

There's no argument to be had because we don't know what really happened.

I wouldn't call it a stretch anyway. Humans naturally get violent when there are disagreements. Things can get out of control so easily. It doesn't take much, depending on the circumstances.

the activists say they were assualted ..the whalers have their livelihood to protect they'd say anything to avoid criminal charges ..which they would probably recieve if it's heard in either australia or the UK

Hmm, just saw an episode of Penn & Teller, apparently some of these activists aren't as peaceful as these ones. One guy actually made/has made a habit of ramming, yes, Japanese fishing trawlers. That might be one explanation, perhaps the Japanese fishermen know of that particular psycho, I mean activist. Still quite a stupid thing to do. The best way to deal with hippies is Slayer, as South Park so comically pointed out.

Ah, yes, the sea. So many things going on.

Edit: Just checked it out, these are the SAME guys who ram those fishing trawlers. So, perhaps this is karma coming back at 'em.

How funny... Nitpicking.

I think Stern is the only one on these forums capable of taking a paragraph of an opponent and extracting every single word, responding in turn with a paragraph for each.

We've all seen it.

It's hard to tell whether Stern actually likes getting into arguments or not. If he's against nitpicking why even bring up my mention of hippies in the title? What difference does it make? In my opinion they are hippies.

how about just allowing them to get back to their boat after delivering their letter ..call me crazy but that seems like the most rational response ..but kidnapping is a close second

If you two unknown men board your ship mid cruise you do not just let them go. Sure I don't agree with whaling but I can see where they are coming from. These "activists" have a known past of endangering whaling ships. By holding two of their men they have effectively created a safety barrier. The terms for release stated they where to be left alone after the men had returned to their boat. It's not as crazy as you think.

May I ask what just happened to the thread?

And yeah, they don't look hippy, but you can never tell nowadays, with hygene becoming law and all that.

sweeping generalization: activist = psycho

the flipside

french military operatives plant bomb on greenpeace boat killing one onboard

conclusion based on Nemesis' logic

military operatives = psycho

cuz murdering someone is worse than ramming a fishing boat so that means they're all uber-psycho ..at least according to Nemesis' logic

I already know about the incident you linked to, and if I remember correctly, they were having trouble with them entering zones of nuclear testing in Micronesia. Well, so much for a fast "solution" to the problem. Hm.

But that isn't relevant to the problem at hand - They generally just ram fishing trawlers, we're not talking about ones that target whales specifically; they're against ALL fishing. They're basically the PETA of the sea, but with actual power to do harm without fear of consequences it seems. And by the way, I told you to stop speaking for me, I even asked you nicely.

I already know about the incident you linked to, and if I remember correctly, they were having trouble with them entering zones of nuclear testing in Micronesia.

and that justifies a terrorist attack that murdered an innocent person? you've just justifed terrorism as a whole ..every single jew/muslim/christian ever killed is an act of justifiable homicide according to your retarded logic

Well, so much for a fast "solution" to the problem. Hm.

hypocritical idiot ..you condemn/support terrorism when it suits your purposes

But that isn't relevant to the problem at hand - They generally just ram fishing trawlers, we're not talking about ones that target whales specifically; they're against ALL fishing. They're basically the PETA of the sea, but with actual power to do harm without fear of consequences it seems. And by the way, I told you to stop speaking for me, I even asked you nicely.

..Peta of the sea? :LOL:

you're a hysterical fool

and that justifies a terrorist attack that murdered an innocent person? you've just justifed terrorism as a whole ..every single jew/muslim/christian ever killed is an act of justifiable homicide according to your retarded logic

hypocritical idiot ..you condemn/support terrorism when it suits your purposes

I never justified the attack on the rainbow warrior. You're misconstruing my words to mean the exact opposite and throwing insults at me.

You know what? I'm really sick of this. I state my opinion, and you act like an asshole and hurl insults at me. I don't call you an idiot, especially not on a false pretext, so why are you so hostile and eager to jump at easiest chance to act like this?

All I can say is, throw them in the brig for trespassing, fair enough; tie them to a ****ing bulkhead outdoors in the middle of freezing weather? Retaaarded.

I never justified the attack on the rainbow warrior. You're misconstruing my words to mean the exact opposite and throwing insults at me.

you would do well to remember King Leonidas' words:

Before you speak, Persian, know that in Sparta, everyone, even a king?s messenger, are held accountable for the words of his voice

just substitute Sparta for "hl2.net" and Persian for "Nemesis"

I dont take kindly to those who support terrorism ..this isnt the first time Nemesis, remember your support for the King David Hotel bombing that killed 90 britons? and yes you are justifying an act of terrorism when you say this:

I already know about the incident you linked to, and if I remember correctly, they were having trouble with them entering zones of nuclear testing in Micronesia.

you are excusing their behaviour by saying they had been trespassing in nuclear test zones ..as if that would somehow justify bombing their ship ..you dont even see your hypocrisy, you're a lost cause.

and I dont think you do know the incident because it wasnt like the french government dropped a bomb and it accidentily hit the rainbow warrior ..french operatives planted the bomb in a covert operation:

The Rainbow Warrior, then captained by Peter Willcox, was sabotaged and sunk just before midnight NZST (1pm BST, 8am EDT) on July 10, 1985 by two explosive devices attached to the hull by operatives of the French intelligence service (DGSE). One of the twelve people on board, photographer Fernando Pereira, returned to the ship after the first explosion to attempt to retrieve his equipment, and was killed when the ship was sunk by the second larger explosion.

there is no difference between this incident and an act of terrorism because that's what it is ..but I guess in your mind because the rainbow warrior had trepassed in Micronesia they deserved what was coming to them

You know what? I'm really sick of this. I state my opinion, and you act like an asshole and hurl insults at me. I don't call you an idiot, especially not on a false pretext, so why are you so hostile and eager to jump at easiest chance to act like this?

your constant pandering to one sided attacks on people you deem to be terrorists yet cant apply that same ideology when it comes to jews, militaries or even government despite there being no fundamental differnce (in the context of the acts of terrorism like the KDH bombing and the bombing of the rainbow warrior) ..you should be called out for your justification of terrorism, as that is a greater affront than calling someone an idiot

this
is
politics

grow a thicker skin

I dont take kindly to those who support terrorism

So, you don't take kindly to yourself? Or did you not know that Sea sheperd are known terrorists? Oh, the hypocrisy.

If these idiots got away without permanent damage (let's all hold hands and pray they didn't) they should consider themselves pretty damn lucky.

I think the Japanese had the right to detain them.
if it was a U.S vessel Im sure the owner would have the capped their butts. :p

I support the sea Shepard and it's tactics.

So yeah. Uhm, it's not like whaling is illegal or anything.
Not like they are using a loophole to circumvent the ban.
Not like the hippies are doing what the government should be doing.
Not like the hippies are endangering themselves to help us or anything.
I mean F*ck the whales, what have they done for us.

P.S. Whales support Chavez.

P.S. Whales support Chavez.

I'm sorry but I polled whales and there seems to be almost universal support against Chavez. One or two species were supportive of Chavez, but they are generally regarded as retarded whale species. The rest have been clearly anti Chavez.

/random

I'm with Gray Fox. Trespassing to deliver a letter doesn't compare with illegal whaling, although I could kind of sympathise if these are the same blokes who ram fishing vessels. Even so, tying them to a radar mast is way out, assumning that did happen.

I'm sorry but I polled whales and there seems to be almost universal support against Chavez. One or two species were supportive of Chavez, but they are generally regarded as retarded whale species. The rest have been clearly anti Chavez.

/random

You saying people who support Chavez are retards.

So, you don't take kindly to yourself? Or did you not know that Sea sheperd are known terrorists? Oh, the hypocrisy.

hmmm a boat can be a terrorist? do they send out explosive laden dingys on unsuspecting cruise ships?

If these idiots got away without permanent damage (let's all hold hands and pray they didn't) they should consider themselves pretty damn lucky.

what is your reasoning? please explain why you'd want them harmed. what exactly have they done to merit it?

oh and if they were terrorists surely they'd be on a list of terrorist organizations? last I checked greenpeace doesnt have that distinction ..but you must have some reasoning as to why they're terrorists, please spell it out

Wow look more pointless semantical arguments.

hmmm a boat can be a terrorist? do they send out explosive laden dingys on unsuspecting cruise ships?

That's not the boats name Stern.

the Sea Shepherd anti-whaling group

Name of group.

the crew of the Steve Irwin

Name of ship.

You loose.

oh and if they were terrorists surely they'd be on a list of terrorist organizations? last I checked greenpeace doesnt have that distinction ..but you must have some reasoning as to why they're terrorists, please spell it out

ter-ror-ist
–noun

1. a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

3. (formerly) a member of a political group in Russia aiming at the demoralization of the government by terror.
4. an agent or partisan of the revolutionary tribunal during the Reign of Terror in France.
–adjective
5. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of terrorism or terrorists: terrorist tactics.

ter-ror-ism
–noun

1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.
2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Whilst no threats have been made in this case I'm sure the Japs are well informed of their previous endeavours ramming other ships.

ter-ror-ize
–verb
1. to fill or overcome with terror.
2. to dominate or coerce by intimidation.
3. to produce widespread fear by acts of violence, as bombings.

Or say ramming.

This topic is worthless. And it's all thanks to you people.

You, you, and you too. And had I entered this topic earlier, I would have probably been sucked into this travesty as well. Is a boat a terrorist? I'll cut the suspense: NO. Just... why? Why even ask something like that?

You're fired. All of you.

Back